Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Before series 4 was broadcast, I knew that AJ was going to die early in the series. I had hoped that it would give the producers an opportunity to have Louisa comfort Martin in some way. Since BP is so careful and pay great attention to detail, I'm sure there was extensive discussion about how Louisa would react to the news. So, for whatever reason they decided Caroline Catz play the scene the way she played it. Sometimes I am frustrated by the Director's/Actor's/Whoever's In Charge's choices and this was one of those times. I think it was a missed opportunity.

I am sure it was a carefully considered decision (maybe one on which the actors had input?). To me, DM's muted reaction and LG's sympathy from a distance are of a piece with how they are portraying the characters at this point: DM is a man who is deeply uncomfortable with showing himself vulnerable and exposing the "feeling" side of himself. LG knows this about him (along with a good deal else she "knows" that is wrong or misguided) and instinctively gives him space -- as in fact she is going to be doing for the first few episodes. So I think the reason it happened this way is that it is an instance of her general posture toward him at this point. That is, she is not going to press him, or make any emotional demands on him or treat him as if they are in the intimate relationship that he may not yet know (consciously) that he wants. If their relationship is to be worthwhile, he has to take some initiative in reaching out to her. At least, I think that is her general view and in fact, I think she was right.

DM is going to have to learn that it's OK to need comfort and reassurance sometimes -- maybe that'll be part of his S6 journey. But in my view, he's not ready for that yet.

Reaching out to the baby for comfort is easy -- the baby won't reject him or make demands on him that he can't meet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I feel again that LG has to set the emotional tone in this relationship. If she is upset that DM doesn't hug her later in the series, or touch her in a positive manner, she has to realize she did not do the same to him in his emotional need.

We don't need LG to be extravagant in her physical touching of him upon his hearing the news--she could just have sat next to him, and held his hand in comfort, leaned against him. But, by her not doing that, DM has learned no new signals for how to work with LG when she is getting upset during the series.

I mean, doesn't he reach out and touch the baby? He very well might have been aching for human contact then? Getting it from LG would have taught him something.

LG just standing there to me seemed very cold and distant as a new couple, with a new baby.

On the other hand, playing devil's advocate to myself, I think the only reason she did not physically reach out was because DM was leaving, they were still perhaps going to live separate lives, and the whole situation right then was Super Amazingly Awkward. Outside of that, I think LG should have reached out physically to him. But, I'm an American, and no doubt this sort of thing may be perceived differently on each side of the pond.

Mona, I absolutely agree with your analysis here, including your second thoughts at the end. I agree that it's up to LG to teach the Doc, as she did so well in your lovely fanfiction.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Question, Mona: do you think doctors should marry doctors? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Before series 4 was broadcast, I knew that AJ was going to die early in the series. I had hoped that it would give the producers an opportunity to have Louisa comfort Martin in some way. Since BP is so careful and pay great attention to detail, I'm sure there was extensive discussion about how Louisa would react to the news. So, for whatever reason they decided Caroline Catz play the scene the way she played it. Sometimes I am frustrated by the Director's/Actor's/Whoever's In Charge's choices and this was one of those times. I think it was a missed opportunity.

Go back a couple of pages and read my previous post on the subject and you will understand why.

As you mentioned BP pays a great amount of attention to detail and they wrote that scene keeping the character of Martin Ellingham true to form. In fact I had to give them credit for showing that Louisa was beginning to understand how to deal with Martin by knowing that 'comforting' Martin would have been no comfort at all to him.

A man of the type that Martin Ellingham is (being written and played) would become highly uncomfortable by being 'comforted' in the way that you wish-blubbering tears and grasping on to Louisa, yadda,yadda, yadda. No, they become highly stoic in the face of great personal tragedy. The only emotion you might see is annoyance and anger if something goes awry as it did at the funeral-when they plan something they plan it and they do not tolerate imprecision nor fools.

The only time you might see them show any emotion in a situation such as this is if you had a concealed camera at the place and time they choose to go to to release those emotions. They will never do so anyplace where they might be seen or heard by anyone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    A man of the type that Martin Ellingham is (being written and played) would become highly uncomfortable by being 'comforted' in the way that you wish-blubbering tears and grasping on to Louisa, yadda,yadda, yadda. No, they become highly stoic in the face of great personal tragedy. The only emotion you might see is annoyance and anger if something goes awry as it did at the funeral-when they plan something they plan it and they do not tolerate imprecision nor fools.

The only time you might see them show any emotion in a situation such as this is if you had a concealed camera at the place and time they choose to go to to release those emotions. They will never do so anyplace where they might be seen or heard by anyone.

You all make a lot of sense, but we hopeless romantics always want a breakthrough with DM's behavior and believe that he might have seen that in some small gesture by LG. No tears maybe not even a hug, but a touch.

She did it the next day at the funeral when she held his hand and he was alright with it. Great discussion
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go back a couple of pages and read my previous post on the subject and you will understand why.

As you mentioned BP pays a great amount of attention to detail and they wrote that scene keeping the character of Martin Ellingham true to form. In fact I had to give them credit for showing that Louisa was beginning to understand how to deal with Martin by knowing that 'comforting' Martin would have been no comfort at all to him.

Hello, Adelie. I think your thoughts here might be a bit extreme. DM is emotionally broken--it's his need and his cure to learn how to be more emotional, resonate with others emotions, express emotions easily, and know how to react appropriately when others express emotions. That complete lack is why he wound up stuck in PW.

As I believe, LG did not have to be extreme. Sitting down next to someone and holding their hand silently, is not something DM, I feel would have been horrified by. Look how well he took to LG jumping into his arms; he welcomed it heartily and held her just as tightly back. Then, we can only imagine they had crazed weasel sex, showing all the emotions and love associated with that in positive ways.

DM is not a robot or an alien. He is not anathema to emotions and emotional expression; he just doesn't have a clue what they are, what to do with them, what is appropriate when.

But, he definitely has emotions and he knows others do, too. We've seen him express in the seasons nearly all the emotions humans naturally come with. And in that scene, we see his sadness sitting there alone on the couch. We don't expect him to burst into tears, rip his suit, and cry out to G-d, and of course he didn't. But, I did expect LG to gently touch his shoulder, hand, etc in camaraderie, and did feel it was emotionally sterile of her to not do so. I feel that would have worked out very well, and kept in good character with both of them, and taught DM a valuable lesson.

The fact that BP didn't want it doesn't make it right; I certainly do not feel her interpretation, or MC's for S5, was that correct for how the season should go. They produced, as usual, excellent TV, but their choices for character repression and shrillness did not obviously ring that perfectly true for viewers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Question, Mona: do you think doctors should marry doctors? :confused:

Well, my PhD brother married his PhD wife, but they aren't "real" doctors, as I like to joke, mainly because that slightly pisses them off. :);)

Many "real" doctors--JOKE to all the PhDs out there!--marry other doctors. They meet in medical school or at social or hospital functions, etc, conferences, and pair up. It's not uncommon at all. I can't see where two docs would not get along solely due to sharing a profession.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by Adelie Manchot View Post

Adelie, I agree with your assessment of Doc's stoicism when it comes to handling things. He has an inner strength that allows him to deal with difficult things. It meant his survival in some ways as a child and has served him in his profession.

As someone who has found herself in the role of first aider several times in my life, I discovered that pushing down my emotional reaction to the situation allowed me the clear thinking necessary to do the aiding appropriately. It is only later after the crisis is over, that I dissolve into a bowl of jello. I'm sure some might think I'm emotionless during the situation. And yes, I yelled, too, when the idiots were standing gawping and not doing the reasonable thing of making way for the ambulance.
    mmDerdekea: DM is emotionally broken--it's his need and his cure to learn how to be more emotional, resonate with others emotions, express emotions easily, and know how to react appropriately when others express emotions. That complete lack is why he wound up stuck in PW. ...

mmD, I'm not sure if I'm agreeing with you or not. Doc has emotions as we've all seen through the different series. He just doesn't allow himself to show them very often for fear of ridicule, being berated over it, thinking that's not how a man acts (see father), shyness, insecurity, etc. etc.

In fact, I've always read it that having an emotional reaction to his patient and her family is what caused his blood thing. As long as he could stay cool and calm and focused, his emotions were under control and he could do his job. But suddenly at this point in his life, the emotions are acting up inappropriately, much to his chagrin. Yet he is strong enough mentally to continue his doctoring, despite having to vomit in front of folks in certain bloody situations!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Martin was on the plane to Cornwall for the interview and spyed this woman across from him with a droopy eye, we all know that he seeing the sick eye, right?

I think not. He would not have been looking for a symptom to be cured. He was looking for a woman for sure! The lady was first, then the ocular thing.

Martin (and many things in season 1 show this) was seeking someone. Louisa, with her fiery and cute personality was that person, from the first time he saw her. When she stood up to him at the meeting, and on the plane, that cemented his desire. Here, part of his mind thought, was a woman he needed to balance out all his negative moods. She embodied that which he needed. All the rest of the series is obfuscation and horrible Fate mucking things up - the Gods playing with mankind.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, yes? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fact, I've always read it that having an emotional reaction to his patient and her family is what caused his blood thing. As long as he could stay cool and calm and focused, his emotions were under control and he could do his job. But suddenly at this point in his life, the emotions are acting up inappropriately, much to his chagrin. Yet he is strong enough mentally to continue his doctoring, despite having to vomit in front of folks in certain bloody situations!

That's interesting SusieS, but that's not quite how I interpret what happened to DM in that life-changing vision.

I believe that it was stuffing all his emotions, all his intense longing for love, for family, closeness and connection he had missed his whole life, that burst forth on seeing his patient so beloved by her family, so surrounded by them in their love and concern for her.

It was not "emotions" as a general rule, but one specific set of emotions.

We know he wanted love as a child, and never got it (except with AJ). He wanted love from Edith, and never got it (rejection for a career), and remember that poem he wrote, about how love is like running to your mother. Like a child, DM has a deep desperate need for the kind of love and security and caring a mother gives to the son she adores.

I think at that moment, seeing the woman surrounded by her family, his established life--Gifted and Master surgeon, Head of Vascular Dept, Teacher--crumbled to the ground, and all he had never gotten, love, caring, compassion, relationship, came pouring out. I think it was not just the expression of random emotions which brought our surgeon down, but the sudden shock in his 40s that he did not have anyone to love, there was no one who loved him, who would hold onto him in that intense affection if anything happened to him.

And his subconscious came roaring to the front demanding he set aside medicine and go on a journey to love; kismet worked in his regard with LG being on the plane and on the hiring board.

That journey required him to find that love and make it as equal a part of his life as his medicine. He had, however, developed so many mental and emotional barriers welcoming that, because of the constant pain it had always brought him, getting love right this time has been a five season ordeal for him and LG.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting SusieS, but that's not quite how I interpret what happened to DM in that life-changing vision.

I believe that it was stuffing all his emotions, all his intense longing for love, for family, closeness and connection he had missed his whole life, that burst forth on seeing his patient so beloved by her family, so surrounded by them in their love and concern for her.

We know he wanted love as a child, and never got it (except with AJ). He wanted love from Edith, and never got it (rejection for a career), and remember that poem he wrote, about how love is like running to your mother. Like a child, DM has a deep desperate need for the kind of love and security and caring a mother gives to the son she adores.

I think at that moment, seeing the woman surrounded by her family, his established life--Gifted and Master surgeon, Head of Vascular Dept, Teacher--crumbled to the ground, and all he had never gotten, love, caring, compassion, relationship, came pouring out. I think it was not just the expression of random emotions which brought our surgeon down, but the sudden shock in his 40s that he did not have anyone to love, there was no one who loved him, who would hold onto him in that intense affection if anything happened to him.

And his subconscious came roaring to the front demanding he set aside medicine and go on a journey to love; kismet worked in his regard with LG being on the plane and on the hiring board.

That journey required him to find that love and make it as equal a part of his life as his medicine. He had, however, developed so many mental and emotional barriers welcoming that, because of the constant pain it had always brought him, getting love right this time has been a five season ordeal for him and LG.

From a psychodyamic point of view:
    His blood phobia seems to be a defense against those yearnings for closeness and connection, which arouse in him intense anxiety. He had successfully defended against this by many tactics -- mainly by keeping others at a distance. Being confronted by the family scene, the defenses broke down temporarily -- and the resulting anxiety was almost immediately bound up in the blood phobia.

I do think he was looking for more connection with his own feelings and with someone else, when he came to Portwenn, but this search was not at a level he was aware of. He did fall in love with Louisa almost immediately, but it took him years to recognize this feeling and own it, and all that it implied for his own life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »
    When Martin was on the plane to Cornwall for the interview and spyed this woman across from him with a droopy eye, we all know that he seeing the sick eye, right?

I think not. He would not have been looking for a symptom to be cured. He was looking for a woman for sure! The lady was first, then the ocular thing.

Martin (and many things in season 1 show this) was seeking someone. Louisa, with her fiery and cute personality was that person, from the first time he saw her. When she stood up to him at the meeting, and on the plane, that cemented his desire. Here, part of his mind thought, was a woman he needed to balance out all his negative moods. She embodied that which he needed. All the rest of the series is obfuscation and horrible Fate mucking things up - the Gods playing with mankind.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, yes? :)

I agree. When do you think Louisa fell for him? Was it as immediate?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    His blood phobia seems to be a defense against those yearnings for closeness and connection, which arouse in him intense anxiety. He had successfully defended against this by many tactics -- mainly by keeping others at a distance. Being confronted by the family scene, the defenses broke down temporarily -- and the resulting anxiety was almost immediately bound up in the blood phobia.

I do think he was looking for more connection with his own feelings and with someone else, when he came to Portwenn, but this search was not at a level he was aware of. He did fall in love with Louisa almost immediately, but it took him years to recognize this feeling and own it, and all that it implied for his own life.

Wow, thanks for summarizing what I was trying to write in such a clear and descriptive way, NewPark!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

NewPark wrote: »

Wow, thanks for summarizing what I was trying to write in such a clear and descriptive way, NewPark!

Both excellent analyses. Thank you! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Is there any feedback or photos from Port Isaac this week?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmD and NewPark, Thank you for such excellent discussion and framing of the subject of Doc's emotional life with the haemophobia that I've wrestled with and never quite got a handle on. He is such a complex character that we all have lots to think about and relate to and try to understand. So fascinating!
  • Options
    Eileen0103Eileen0103 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    dmptrader wrote: »

Could she have started to "develop/shown" an interest at the harbor day in the first episode when she was dressed as a pirate?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member

Great points by everyone. I would also like to add that he recognized what he needed if only subconsciously - "I was trying to decide between 2 practices and then I saw Portwenn" - the one place where he had experienced unconditional love and acceptance. Auntie Joan did not disappoint but he was not prepared for a certain feisty, primary school teacher who's heart was also looking for the same thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it was right away. Visceral, emotional, hormones flowing, right then... Oh yeah.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    larablair wrote: »
    Great points by everyone. I would also like to add that he recognized what he needed if only subconsciously - "I was trying to decide between 2 practices and then I saw Portwenn" - the one place where he had experienced unconditional love and acceptance. Auntie Joan did not disappoint but he was not prepared for a certain feisty, primary school teacher who's heart was also looking for the same thing.

Ahh, yes, the "2 practices and then I saw Portwenn". At a troubled time for him, he picked the closest place to "home" for him. Good to remember point regarding the Doc.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eileen0103 wrote: »
    Could she have started to "develop/shown" an interest at the harbor day in the first episode when she was dressed as a pirate?

I thought she was a bit flirtatious with him when she talked to him. And he even made a joke about the primary school teacher being a pirate! But then, of course, she immediately got put off by him when he suddenly excused himself to see the colonel. Such a good doctor! but such a lousy prospect for a boyfriend.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also enjoyed this episode because spent quite a bit of time dealing with the baby and I was soooo happy that they both came to stay with the baby together, even though for only a while. Sorry long message ahead. Alot to love;)

1. Absolutely love the scene when Martin is pushing the wheelchair makes an extreme right turn at the hospital when he notices the "village" at the desk asking for Louisa Glassen. Great reaction by CC
    2. "Who's the Daddy," look from DM
    3. "They have babies in America" He has a great look on his face when he says "Well"
    4. As discussed in this forum extensively they hadn't had many nights together, yet the way that they dealt with being in bed together was great. There didn't seem to be any awkwardness. It was purely convenience. They were there for JH :yawn:
    5. Joe in the shower scene is priceless;)
    6. DM's reaction when Dr. Dibbs asks DM the fisherman's name who fell. :D
    7. Kerfuffle? (is this how you spell it?) love this word. Had never heard it before and now I use it whenever I can.
    8. Joe's delicate handling of the fatality. Well written without being sappy.:cry:
    9. Louisa could have given him a hug at least!:roll eyes:
    10. The best scene in this episode was the "perenium" scene in the shop. I laugh out loud everytime I see it. Brilliant. Great comedic timing between CC & MC.:eek:
    11. "You don't seem on top of things. It's your funeral!":eek:
    12. Of course the Farm visit. :cry:
    13 "My Danglers" "Give us a minute Nigel" :o
    14. His assessment of everyone and their prescriptions in line at the pharmacy. Hilarious.
    15. And of course the last scene. It felt as if they were both in sync in this episode. And as we know it goes downhill from here.

Great list, contents of which I found brilliant, also. And I might add:
    16. The opening scene of him looking at the baby and the "I'll drive you, if you like" said ever so softly and giving her the choice.
    17. DM: "But it's different now that it's here." LG: "Is it, Martin." DM: "Yes."
    18. Loved him getting the keys out of her purse, later replacing them and zipping it. (a practical thing, but an intimate one, too, going into a lady's handbag)
    19. LG: "...co-sleep in bed with their parents, ...or parent."
    20. Al hustling villagers away from Louisa's door, sensing Doc has had enough.
    21. Love the quiet talk about research re mothering and then Doc observing Louisa putting her tea cup in fridge and getting ready to drink out of the milk carton but Doc quietly switches it for her.
    22. Must admit Joe has a great bod in the shower scene. Whew!
    23. Mrs. T: "You Came Back!"
    24. Doc using a baby diaper on the wound.
    25. DM: "Short, fat, asthmatic." LG & BL: Mike Chubb!
    26. Dr. Dibbs: "Receptionist." Mr. Dibbs: "Practice manager."
    27. Bert and Doc's good-bye scene seemed odd to me.
    28. Enjoyed the symbolism of Doc taking in the death of AJ, and then his focus goes right to the baby who's mewling. (death/life-birth)
    29. Doc's discomfort with Mrs. T. gushing over the baby outside of grocery.
    30. Mike Chubb's show title line and sage advice: "Preserve the romance."
    31. Dr. Dibbs: didn't know whether to feel sorry for her because of her pushy husband or whether she was just silly for going along with him. Either way, the performance by Joanna Scanlan was top-notch and I didn't realize until now how gifted she is with a pliable face as well as MC.
    32. My heart melted (why is that?) when Doc takes the baby off the sleeping Louisa. Something so kind, so gentle, so practical of him to do. Then he's off all over the place with the baby, without a second thought, just as though that's the way it has always been. Doesn't seem to fear anything re taking care of the baby, despite his initial protestation that "I'm not very good with babies." from the birth scene.
    33. Doc to Buddy in trunk: "Get out."
    34. Mrs. T smelling the baby.
    35. Doc's look as Louisa goes in the kitchen to feed the baby in the last scene. And Louisa's for that matter. Something's changed. They are softer with each other most of the time in this episode.

Chock full episode is right. It is hard to leave anything out. And it seems all the actors' acting couldn't have been more brilliant!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Great list, contents of which I found brilliant, also. And I might add:
    16. The opening scene of him looking at the baby and the "I'll drive you, if you like" said ever so softly and giving her the choice.
    17. DM: "But it's different now that it's here." LG: "Is it, Martin." DM: "Yes."
    18. Loved him getting the keys out of her purse, later replacing them and zipping it. (a practical thing, but an intimate one, too, going into a lady's handbag)
    19. LG: "...co-sleep in bed with their parents, ...or parent."
    20. Al hustling villagers away from Louisa's door, sensing Doc has had enough.
    21. Love the quiet talk about research re mothering and then Doc observing Louisa putting her tea cup in fridge and getting ready to drink out of the milk carton but Doc quietly switches it for her.
    22. Must admit Joe has a great bod in the shower scene. Whew!
    23. Mrs. T: "You Came Back!"
    24. Doc using a baby diaper on the wound.
    25. DM: "Short, fat, asthmatic." LG & BL: Mike Chubb!
    26. Dr. Dibbs: "Receptionist." Mr. Dibbs: "Practice manager."
    27. Bert and Doc's good-bye scene seemed odd to me.
    28. Enjoyed the symbolism of Doc taking in the death of AJ, and then his focus goes right to the baby who's mewling. (death/life-birth)
    29. Doc's discomfort with Mrs. T. gushing over the baby outside of grocery.
    30. Mike Chubb's show title line and sage advice: "Preserve the romance."
    31. Dr. Dibbs: didn't know whether to feel sorry for her because of her pushy husband or whether she was just silly for going along with him. Either way, the performance by Joanna Scanlan was top-notch and I didn't realize until now how gifted she is with a pliable face as well as MC.
    32. My heart melted (why is that?) when Doc takes the baby off the sleeping Louisa. Something so kind, so gentle, so practical of him to do. Then he's off all over the place with the baby, without a second thought, just as though that's the way it has always been. Doesn't seem to fear anything re taking care of the baby, despite his initial protestation that "I'm not very good with babies." from the birth scene.
    33. Doc to Buddy in trunk: "Get out."
    34. Mrs. T smelling the baby.
    35. Doc's look as Louisa goes in the kitchen to feed the baby in the last scene. And Louisa's for that matter. Something's changed. They are softer with each other most of the time in this episode.

Chock full episode is right. It is hard to leave anything out. And it seems all the actors' acting couldn't have been more brilliant!

Thanks all great moments. Absolutely no wasted film in this episode. One of my faves of all the series. Love it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought she was a bit flirtatious with him when she talked to him. And he even made a joke about the primary school teacher being a pirate! But then, of course, she immediately got put off by him when he suddenly excused himself to see the colonel. Such a good doctor! but such a lousy prospect for a boyfriend.:(

Yes, agree. LG is in a great mood, which we don't see very often when she's around him from now on. Then the first glimpse of her being defensive when he walks away.

After viewing that scene again more carefully, I thought it was very funny (the trumpet startling him) and DM was loosy goosey even cracking the joke. Not very uptight at all. He even used a profane (sort of) word. Also he's looks young and so does LG.
This discussion has been closed.