Options

Top Of The Pops 1978 - BBC4

Comments

• Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Blondie - could this be the last time we'll hear 'Denis'? In every other chart at the time Denis was number 1, it was only in the BMRB/BBC chart that Brian and Michael made the top, thanks to the wonder of Woolies!

You bet, that is exactly where I got my copy. I imagine I would have got snarled at by some 20 something in Virgin Music at the time. So much safer to pop into Woolworths. Mind you, I'm bloody well pleased they are not around to sell records anymore....Woolies, not Brian & Michael I mean by that.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    You bet, that is exactly where I got my copy. I imagine I would have got snarled at by some 20 something in Virgin Music at the time. So much safer to pop into Woolworths. Mind you, I'm bloody well pleased they are not around to sell records anymore.

If you'd gone into the great Red Records shop in Brixton and asked for that they'd have hung you from a lampost.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SgtRock wrote: »
    Strange that Blondie stayed at no 2 while other songs swapped around them.

Nothing like as bizarre as the track 18 months ago that became the joint longest running No2 single at 7 weeks, Moves Like Jagger, which I believe had a different No1 song ahead of it all of it's seven weeks stuck at 2.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You bet, that is exactly where I got my copy. I imagine I would have got snarled at by some 20 something in Virgin Music at the time. So much safer to pop into Woolworths. Mind you, I'm bloody well pleased they are not around to sell records anymore....Woolies, not Brian & Michael I mean by that.
    Woolies also explains why the single dropped from 3-4 the previous week... the single was last featured on TOTP when it climbed from 10 to 3 and the day after it was on TOTP was Good Friday, it lost impetus due to a lack of sales in Woolworths because of the Easter weekend. The following week sales in Woolies were enough to propel it to the top.
  • Options
    mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing like as bizarre as the track 18 months ago that became the joint longest running No2 single at 7 weeks, Moves Like Jagger, which I believe had a different No1 song ahead of it all of it's seven weeks stuck at 2.

Wasn't Moves Like Jagger the best seller of the year? Have forgotten....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    If you'd gone into the great Red Records shop in Brixton and asked for that they'd have hung you from a lampost.

:eek:

What?....a cute blonde haired nearly 9 year old boy buying his first tune. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woolies also explains why the single dropped from 3-4 the previous week... the single was last featured on TOTP when it climbed from 10 to 3 and the day after it was on TOTP was Good Friday, it lost impetus due to a lack of sales in Woolworths because of the Easter weekend. The following week sales in Woolies were enough to propel it to the top.

I feel sure there might also have been a Blue Peter effect, because they sung it on there, and after that I got it. Be interesting if anyone knows the date they did it on Blue Peter, which could prove or dis-prove my theory.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel sure there might also have been a Blue Peter effect, because they sung it on there, and after that I got it. Be interesting if anyone knows the date they did it on Blue Peter, which could prove or dis-prove my theory.
    It was definitely down to the lack of a TOTP effect because of the Easter weekend for this one. No shops open on the Friday and the usual Woolies singles buyers being thinner on the ground on the Saturday. That was probably enough to help sales fall despite a TOTP appearance...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Wasn't Moves Like Jagger the best seller of the year? Have forgotten....

According to the OCC it was No2 of 2011, how appropriate! Adele was top.
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    Hmmm

The only things OK so far this week were Genesis, Hot Chocolate and Squeeze.

And the Wings song! - Infact it was quite a good TOTP this week! ;)

I even liked the Eurovision entry Bad Old Days and remember wanting it to win back in 1978! - I also wanted Making Your Mind Up to win also (must've been something subconsciously about Cheryl Baker!!) - so getting 1 out of 2 winners aint bad!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was definitely down to the lack of a TOTP effect because of the Easter weekend for this one. No shops open on the Friday and the usual Woolies singles buyers being thinner on the ground on the Saturday. That was probably enough to help sales fall despite a TOTP appearance...

I'll bow to your judgement on it Robbie. Easter in 1978 was very early, Good Friday was 24th March, Easter Monday was therefore 27th March, so back then the last records were being sold on the afternoon of Thursday, 23rd March, 1978 and the next time available to buy a record was Tuesday, 28th March, 1978. With the exception of the Easter Saturday I presume, 25th March.

That is enough nerdish behaviour from me. :o
  • Options
    faversham saintfaversham saint Posts: 2,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperSal1 wrote: »
    I was an audience member in 1978 or 1979 - can't remember exactly when.

Does this mean anything to anybody?

According to the birth date in your Public Profile it was almost certainly in November or December 1979 (assuming the minimum age for entry to the TOTP studio was 16 as a poster on here once stipulated).
  • Options
    SuperSal1SuperSal1 Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Faversham Saint - that's useful! Although, as my Dad was very senior in the BBC, he might have got me and my fiend in illegally!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soz, watching this backwards,,, Bob has always annoyed me: opportunist of the first degree, like Bono!!! I Don't Like Mondays is the only one of his I like because it tells a story....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tidybeard got cut off!!! before Hot Choc... close up of Errol's bulge hahahaha ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Faversham Saint - that's useful! Although, as my Dad was very senior in the BBC, he might have got me and my fiend in illegally!

BIB - You should choose your friends more carefully!
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Does anyone remember Noel Edmonds used to give away the Top 10 singles each week on Swap Shop?
    - Whoever got them from Spring time 1978 was a lucky begger!! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never Let Her Slip Away - Brill song....
    The even better split infinitive ;);)
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn, I hate having to be late to the party, especially when it's a "new" show. Looking forward to seeing Squeeze and Andy Gibb, and I don't actually mind that version of Singing In The Rain. Re Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats And Dogs (I also have a vinyl copy!) I know that it wasn't St Winifred's Choir on TOTP for at least one of their performances, even though it's them singing on the record, but stage school kids miming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    Damn, I hate having to be late to the party, especially when it's a "new" show. Looking forward to seeing Squeeze and Andy Gibb, and I don't actually mind that version of Singing In The Rain. Re Matchstalk Men And Matchstalk Cats And Dogs (I also have a vinyl copy!) I know that it wasn't St Winifred's Choir on TOTP for at least one of their performances, even though it's them singing on the record, but stage school kids miming.

I liked Matchstalk Men, as it's about where I'm from... :o:o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB - You should choose your friends more carefully!

Lol! Noticed that after I pressed send.

I have lots of images in my head from the recording but nothing firm - and I do wonder whether I might be suffering from false memories! Like on tonight's episode, I began to think that I had watched The Boomtown Rats and She's so Modern...

There was definitely some 'light' punk like The Clash there.

Silly thing is I can remember exactly what I was wearing and would love to see how awful I must have looked: heavy black platform wedges, cream thick tights, dark green corduroy skirt and cream roll neck polo sweater! Nice!

Also I had the 'flick' hairstyle which needed lots of hairspray!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silly thing is I can remember exactly what I was wearing and would love to see how awful I must have looked: heavy black platform wedges, cream thick tights, dark green corduroy skirt and cream roll neck polo sweater! Nice!

Also I had the 'flick' hairstyle which needed lots of hairspray!

The camera must have loved you! ;)
  • Options
    darren1090darren1090 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I was an audience member in 1978 or 1979 - can't remember exactly when. I also can't remember who were playing. But I do remember there was an act where there was an American style car (I think) on the stage from which the singers sang. I don't think it became a great hit - was more of a quirky song.

Does this mean anything to anybody?

My guess (of a performance with a car on stage) would be Car 67 by Driver 67, which would be the episode from the 11th January 1979.

Here is the performance, when repeated on TOTP2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGwYPd6ajTk
  • Options
    darren1090darren1090 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I'd say they [Coco] are about 2 years out. This should've been on in 1976.

They almost were - Coco came second to the Brotherhood of Man in "A song for Europe 1976". They missed out by only 2 points, quite incredible when you consider that "Save your kisses for me" went on to become the biggest winner of Eurovision since the current 1-12 voting system started (measured by percentage of possible score gained).

But yes, Coco's 1978 11th place was the UK's worst performance ever, at that point in time (beating 9th in 1966), and would remain our worst for another 9 years. Of course, compared to Jemini in 2003, they sound rather good. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My guess (of a performance with a car on stage) would be Car 67 by Driver 67, which would be the episode from the 11th January 1979.

Here is the performance, when repeated on TOTP2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGwYPd6ajTk

Thank you so much Darren1090. That must be the one and the timing might be right. The year I did my O'levels and listened to Capital Radio every minute I could. But my favourite hour of the week was the Sunday evening run down of the top 20 before I went off to youth club. Happy, happy memories :-)
This discussion has been closed.