Options

Worst Ever Place You Have Been To On Holiday.

Comments

• Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Norfolk Broads.

It might have something to do with being knocked unconscious by a boom of our little boat on the first day, and not being allowed to boat for the rest of the so-called holiday. :o
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    blossom24 wrote: »
    Kos

People were lovely but the food was awful, I was sick 11 out of the 14 days ( and I have a cast iron constitution!) .
    Place was absolutely filthy, beaches non existent and everywhere looked like an abandoned building site.

You are kidding !! Kos is beautifull , long empty beaches on the western side , you just have to look and find them .Gorgeous restaurants and lovely big fresh salads ,I dont know where you stayed but we had a car and saw it all and it was spotless .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Sorry popRocket. !!!!
  • Options
    wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vietnam - the most boring country in SE Asia. Materialistic, heavily concreted, insane and noisy traffic, mostly dull food and zero charm. It's like a southward extension of China.

Why oh why didn't we go back to Cambodia instead?
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    The Gambia
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gooby wrote: »
    A cheap all inclusive in Hurghada Egypt. You definitely get what you pay for. Air conditioning barely worked and food made us ill the whole time we were there. You had to get up at 6am to put your towel on a sunbed otherwise you had nowhere to go, the place was heaving so not enough to go round.
    Thanks for the tip, there are always deals here on Travelzoo, the price makes it so tempting and my flatmate and I always nearly book. I think I'll avoid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    You are kidding !! Kos is beautifull , long empty beaches on the western side , you just have to look and find them .Gorgeous restaurants and lovely big fresh salads ,I dont know where you stayed but we had a car and saw it all and it was spotless .

I agree with you, it's a beautiful island with stunning beaches. I think maybe they went to kardamena, which is a bit run down compared to how it used to be. Go a tiny bit further out (the island ain't that big) and you've got gorgeous scenery and beaches.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,114
    Forum Member
    klendathu wrote: »
    Paris .
    Dirty place full of rude French people and a large amount of dog poo .
    Eiffel Tower plagued by beggars . Rip off prices .
    Never again will I set foot in that toilet of a place .
    Sacre Bleur :eek:

Easily the worst place I have been.

I have never in my life encountered so many rude, smelly (they STINK) cretins as I did in Paris. They drive like maniacs with no thought of pedestrians. Beggars on the underground (oh get lost and let me have a bit of peace), rip off prices everywhere, staff in shops and restaurants who look at you like you're white trash. Left a day early, that's how bad it was.

Blackpool was the height of gracious living in comparison.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Skegness and feutenventura (sp?)
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blackpool - tacky, drty, and everywhere smelled of fried onions,

Withernsea - 'nuff said!

The Gambia - lovely place. Would have been good if wasn't for the constant begging and being plagued by young guys offering their services as a gigolo.

Las Vegas - To be honest the first time was fascinating. I couldn't believe anywhere could be so utterly crass, Unbelievable.!!!!! But once the novelty had worn off it I couldn't stand the place. Never want to go again.

Tangiers - Dirty, Had to cross a railway linre to get to the so-called "beach". Constant harrassment by vendors. Was ill with the food.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like Turkey very much. The men seemed to be very lecehrous and were not put off by the fact that I was only thirteen years old at the time. It also stank to high heaven.

I agree about Paris as well. Very disappointed. The people seemed very rude, they drive like maniacs and the food was crap. I'm not fussy, ill eat anything, but it was awful.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Skegness and feutenventura (sp?)

Butlins, Skegness in the 80s, very possibly the coldest place in all the world ever, damp, never stopped raining, the wind was awful, there was sod all to do and then our car wouldn't start on the day we finally left, due to the extremely damp conditions
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Oh no, I have to stand up for Paris. I really loved it there....and even liked the French! :p

I came back from Rome a few weeks ago. Whilst not a horrible place it was very boring and, the food is overrated. It gets a bit boring after the first 20 ruins......

There's not a lot to do in Rome.
  • Options
    SallysallySallysally Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Egypt.

Absolutely fabulous artefacts and history but totally loathed the constant harassment the moment you stepped outside the hotel.
    They made it seem that it was your duty to spend money on any old tat and if you did not, they made their displeasure abundantly clear.
    Never ever going back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Sallysally wrote: »
    Egypt.

Absolutely fabulous artefacts and history but totally loathed the constant harassment the moment you stepped outside the hotel.
    They made it seem that it was your duty to spend money on any old tat and if you did not, they made their displeasure abundantly clear.
    Never ever going back.

You should see Morocco....the people there are even worse. Makes Egypt seem easy going.

Awful country populated with awful people.
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Blackpool.

3 days being racially abused by the locals, what a shithole.
  • Options
    User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting taken on a family holiday years ago to Tenerife, we stopped in the (then) construction site that was Golf De Sur. We were so close to the end of the La Palma airport runway we could see the faces in the windows as the planes came in (every 45 secs). The rest of a place was a dump, entertainment seemed to be quite limited and there was no real culture to explore as such. It just seemed like Benidorm only you have to fly further. I'm back in Tenerife next summer for some research work at ESA but I'll be staying up the mountain and avoiding the flipflop brigade like the plague.

Best holiday without a doubt for me was Iceland....magic.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    India. A beautiful place with some amazing scenery, step out of the touristy areas though and you see the absolute squalor and filth the majority of the population live in.

For those on here who complain about the supposed poverty and slavery over here. I suggest you take a trip. I'm pretty sure 99% of them would swap with you and happily pay for an under occupied bedroom, rather than sleep with 9 other people in a tin shack.

Agreed - I saw some of the most beautiful sights in India, and some things that have haunted me for years since:(
    I would encourage people to visit, but be prepared to have your stomach turned too.
  • Options
    kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Butlins, Skegness in the 80s, very possibly the coldest place in all the world ever, damp, never stopped raining, the wind was awful, there was sod all to do and then our car wouldn't start on the day we finally left, due to the extremely damp conditions

Butlins Minehead was a similar experience for me. Basically a glorified prison.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to stand up for Tenerife now. If you stay in the middle of Las Americas it is a dump full of pissed up tourists, but Los Cristianos is nice, so is Costa Adeje.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Gambia. No redeeming features whatsoever.
  • Options
    spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Norfolk coast, cold and miserable. The only holiday where we've packed our bags and gone home!
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Tenerife.

It was actually a pretty good holiday if you like "lying by the pool" sort of holidays but I found it ridiculously expensive and, aside from a couple of tourist towns, the whole place was a barren wasteland so there wasn't much to do.

I guess I was a bit spoiled cos my parents always used to holiday in non-touristy parts of Spain which was dirt-cheap and had superb public beaches so it really hacked me off to go somewhere that I had to pay to get onto a beach and where a meal cost £30-odd and the only thing to do was to attend paid "events".

Agreed, I went with my sister in law, stayed in Las Americas, what a SHIT hole. The rep couldnt understand why we didnt like veronicas. I mean I know we are from Boro, but even by Middlesbroughs standards it was a pit.
    Going to stand up for Tenerife now. If you stay in the middle of Las Americas it is a dump full of pissed up tourists, but Los Cristianos is nice, so is Costa Adeje.

We went to Los Christianos for the market, I'll agree it was nicer, but not much and we also went to Gigantes and that was just as shit, but Las Americas was unbelievable. The last day there, we just caved in and went to the Princess Diana pub, drank Strongbow, had a full english, watched Only Fools and Horses on the tv and read the Sun newspaper.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portugal - almost everywhere I went the shops/restaurants would try and short change you.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Egypt went on a Nile cruise (Started In Luxor) and to Sharm. The ancient ruins are lovely to see, its a place I've always wanted to go but its not what I expected. In Luxor you have 2 temples Karnak and Luxor, and Luxor temple (I think) is literally in the middle of a big roundabout, very surreal! The locals in the shops pester you like made to go into their shops and the place is generally quite dirty, the waiters in our hotel were flirting with us (They love English women), on the level that it got quite scary and I dreaded going in to eat. rip off merchants everywhere, one guy selling the sun £7 a copy!

never go back