Options

Your opinion on the Moderation and other forum users?

Comments

• Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    I got banned for 24hrs last week for posting a picture of Mr Potato Head in the Soap forum
    Can you believe that ? Other people on there get away with murder , but because I'm not part of the clique I get banned :rolleyes:

Its one rule for them and one rule for everyone else

and you do not know how many fms get warning from the mods. Not every breech of the t & c's gets a automatic ban.
  • Options
    Saskia44Saskia44 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhhhh wrote: »
    If you obey the forum rules you will not get banned.

Alternatively - some people, maybe it has something to do with their opinions or them being in some clique, can break the forum rules, and often do, but don't get banned. You can quote about not breaking the rules all you like - but some people definitely get away with it.

It may simply be because the mods only ban a poster when alerted by someone - but there certainly doesn't seem to be much in the way of consistency and using ones discretion. If alerted - ban, seems to be the general policy. But even that isn't consistent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saskia44 wrote: »
    Alternatively - some people, maybe it has something to do with their opinions or them being in some clique, can break the forum rules, and often do, but don't get banned. You can quote about not breaking the rules all you like - but some people definitely get away with it.

It may simply be because the mods only ban a poster when alerted by someone - but there certainly doesn't seem to be much in the way of consistency and using ones discretion. If alerted - ban, seems to be the general policy. But even that isn't consistent.

Some of the bans are not for what an fm has said in the thread that you are reading at the time, but for things said in another thread.

The mods don't automatically ban just because a post has been alerted. I believe that the mods are not too keen on fms who are 'serial alerters' for no good reason either
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    Why on Earth would they be wary?

I don't know, but you rarely see the long standing FMs getting banned and quite often they are the ones who know how to play the game! Not ALL seasoned FMs do this, I should add!

Its not just DS!
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I don't know, but you rarely see the long standing FMs getting banned and quite often they are the ones who know how to play the game! Not ALL seasoned FMs do this, I should add!

Its not just DS!

You seem to be very well informed for someone who has not been here very long.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps they should install a guest-moderator from the proles, ie us. Kinda like some newspapers have readers editors.

I vote me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps they should install a guest-moderator from the proles, ie us. Kinda like some newspapers have readers editors.

I vote me.

I couldnt think of anything worse.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldnt think of anything worse.

Why?..
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's the amount of times you hammer the alert button over and above everybody else thus endearing yourself to the moderation team?
    You never know, they could all be just like you in their outlook. :)

Another thought is that the moderation is flaky at best. There was a very recent (now closed) thread where a certain FM dropped the 'C' word quite a few times and was being a general obnoxious idiot, but they just deleted the thread and the FM is still active even though I've seen bans for far less than what he did and said. So maybe you're just getting the lucky end of flaky moderation?

Or it could be that you manage to put your points across in a perfectly reasonable and well balanced way without upsetting anyone. I've no idea why on earth you would then describe yourself as being disliked by lots of people on here, why do you think that?

I've no idea if any of the above is true of course, but you asked us to humour you, and you did say you'd be grateful, so I thought I'd have a couple of stabs in the dark. :)

OK, thanks for that. I think the actual answer is far simpler.

Stick to the T & C's and you will be OK. Break them, and whilst you may get away with it for a time, eventually, you will get banned.

Maybe the person using the C word was never alerted ~ unless you did so ?
  • Options
    SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you obey the forum rules you will not get banned.
    You seem to be very well informed for someone who has not been here very long.

Maybe you should do as you preach, implying that someone is a PBU without evidence would probably breach those T & C's you're so fond of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the bans are not for what an fm has said in the thread that you are reading at the time, but for things said in another thread.

The mods don't automatically ban just because a post has been alerted. I believe that the mods are not too keen on fms who are 'serial alerters' for no good reason either

I think anything for an easy life might be an applicable mantra for the mods.
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member

I vote me.

I'd like to nominate petertard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you should do as you preach, implying that someone is a PBU without evidence would probably breach those T & C's you're so fond of.

Saying that someone is well informed is not implying they are a PBU.

But accusing someone of implying that someone is a PBU is against the T&C's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why?..

Because it would end up like a certain other forum which shall remain nameless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »

Stick to the T & C's and you will be OK. Break them, and whilst you may get away with it for a time, eventually, you will get banned.

I've only ever as far as I can recall pressed the alert button twice since I've been here. One was because an FM had posted potentially damaging info about themselves, and the other was against a very silly person who was out to wreck a very informative and interesting thread.
    Both times were a long time ago and since then I've decided that pressing that red button regardless of what's said is best left to those sad individuals who either can't take a joke or has no other way to win an argument.

It's a bit like TV, if you don't like what you're watching then turn over or turn off. No one forces me to read these forums and I will no longer alert anyone for anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saying that someone is well informed is not implying they are a PBU.

But accusing someone of implying that someone is a PBU is against the T&C's.

Yes it is, and show me where.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sticking to the T&C's is all well and good - but when you see some not getting banned for commiting more serious breaches of said rules than others that do get banned for less - it has the effect of lessening how seriously you take those rules and those that enforce them. We all hate double standards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    This is how I see it too. I've seen a number of members regularly flouting the T&Cs but would appear not to be affected possibly due to their post count - if the mods banned them (either short term or permanently) then they may think that other people might leave the site as a result. Less people using the site, less potential ad revenue.

I think the opposite is true. They have a high post count because they're sharp enough to stick to the rules, and therefore have never incurred a permaban.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is how I see it too. I've seen a number of members regularly flouting the T&Cs but would appear not to be affected possibly due to their post count - if the mods banned them (either short term or permanently) then they may think that other people might leave the site as a result. Less people using the site, less potential ad revenue.

I appreciate it is a difficult site to moderate given the number of posters compared with the number of moderators. I've been on smaller forums where pretty much anything goes except gross misconduct (racism, blatant flaming, etc) so am glad there is some kind of attempt to enforce a level of standard here. However that level of standard isn't being enforced properly in my view.

Looking at the stats at the top of the page, there have been nearly 1,800,000 threads and 511,000 members. It is impossible for a few mods to police the threads, apart from checking on thread titles that look like they could be 'trouble', and relying on other fms to alert if the t&c's are seriously breached. The mods cannot and do not read every post in every thread. Plus some fms will alert posts whilst others will not.

Post count can be immaterial...I have seen fms with large post counts getting perma bans.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

Why on earth would other users leave the site because one user had been banned? That doesn't make any sense. :confused:
    I appreciate it is a difficult site to moderate given the number of posters compared with the number of moderators. I've been on smaller forums where pretty much anything goes except gross misconduct (racism, blatant flaming, etc) so am glad there is some kind of attempt to enforce a level of standard here. However that level of standard isn't being enforced properly in my view.

I think DS used to be a lot better at enforcing good forum etiquette. I think it all went downhill when they stopped concentrating on the digital broadcast industry and let in all the "zelebrity" crap and reality TV small-talk. I think if they got rid of that, DS would revert to being a much more sensible place where technologically-minded people could hang out in safety once again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the opposite is true. They have a high post count because they're sharp enough to stick to the rules, and therefore have never incurred a permaban.

but we may have had a few slapped wrists and occasional enforced vacations!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bull. Many with high post counts are the worst offenders. I think they get too comfortable believing they won't be banned because they post so often.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sticking to the T&C's is all well and good - but when you see some not getting banned for commiting more serious breaches of said rules than others that do get banned for less - it has the effect of lessening how seriously you take those rules and those that enforce them. We all hate double standards.

Oh sure, there will always be inconsistencies. One mod may look at a given post differently to another, and so on. But my point is that all of the individuals you refer to will have breached the T & C's in some way, whether they get away with it on that occasion, or not.

But if you stay within the rules, then you have nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bull. Many with high post counts are the worst offenders. I think they get too comfortable believing they won't be banned because they post so often.

You may be right in a very few instances, but on the whole, I think we will have to agree to disagree as far as your theory is concerned.

I don't think there is any divine protection of anybody on here, irrespective of post count, reputation or anything else.
  • Options
    SupportSupport Posts: 71,147
    Administrator
    There seems to be a few misconceptions in this thread that we should probably clear up.

We have a standard pattern of moderation that we follow which goes: warning > 48 hours > 7 days > 2 weeks > permanent.

Ban length is predominately based on the violation history of the member, not the severity of the rule breach.

We sometimes skip steps for obvious trouble causers or repeat steps if a long time has passed since the previous violation.
    I do. Terrible thread. If you don't say what they want to hear - they alert you. What really disturbs me is that the mods appear to pander to them.

Appreciation threads across all forums have different rules which are clearly outlined in the community guidelines:

Appreciation Threads
    Appreciation threads are designed to allow fans of a particular subject to engage in positive and lighthearted discussion of a subject. Negative posts in an appreciation thread are considered off-topic and will be removed. If you wish to discuss the subject of an appreciation thread you are welcome to post constructive negative comments in a separate thread.

Contrary to popular belief (and as some will know), post counts are immaterial to us. If someone has broken the rules and we come across it - either by reviewing threads ourselves or through an alert - then appropriate action will be taken.

The theory of 'if you're alerted, it's an instant ban' is also incorrect. We receive a number of alerts that ask us questions, edit posts, move or delete threads. With that theory, there'd be no one left - even people that have innocently alerted their own post!
This discussion has been closed.