Options

Worst Ever Place You Have Been To On Holiday.

Comments

• Options
    CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dusk1983 wrote: »
    Complaining about Paris again?

If you can't appreciate the unrivalled culture, history and probably grandest architecture of any world City just because of a few tramps and smells, I feel very sorry for you.

Your pity is unnecessary, I am more than capable of appreciating culture, history and architecture, and enjoy many vastly different cities around the world. You have no idea of what I enjoy and appreciate. I found Paris somewhat of a let-down, I guess my expectations had been set by years of seeing and hearing about the city before setting foot there. It's a pity you are so picky about comments on a light-hearted thread.:)
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,114
    Forum Member
    Dusk1983 wrote: »
    Complaining about Paris again?

If you can't appreciate the unrivalled culture, history and probably grandest architecture of any world City just because of a few tramps and smells, I feel very sorry for you.

I might have been able to appreciate the history, culture and architecture if I had not had to put up with the rude smelly people everywhere I went, the motorists who are determined to run you down (they don't understand the concept of crossing signs, just get out of the way as quickly as you can). I expect people to be civil and unfortunately Paris falls far short of being a pleasurable "experience" because of these shortcomings.

Don't feel sorry for me. I live in one of the most beautiful cities in the world and fully appreciate what it has to offer. I am also very polite to visitors.
  • Options
    scott789sscott789s Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andorra - absolute trash
  • Options
    nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've always had a great time in Paris because the cultural life is amazing, much better than London's and cheaper. The Cirque d'Hiver Bouglione in winter is just wonderful, all the little cinemas on the Left Bank where you could see classics for a couple of pounds and beautiful bars. I didn't think it was any worse than most large cities in things mentioned. I saw a hell of a lot more street cleaners than in the UK.
  • Options
    mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Paris. If it is expensive - but London is not cheap - it must be because of the poor exchange rate. Pavement cafes in cities are usually expensive.

Worst place I hace been to is Rimini on the Adriatic coast of Italy. Not only was our hotel a very poor one but the town itself was like Blackpool. Loads of the local youths were continually showing off on their motor scooters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    salou in spain
    horrible, . it's all about getting laid and getting drunk.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Lanzagrotty. Horrible place.

Maybe you stayed in a horrible resort. When we went to Lanzarote we stayed in a quiet area (can't remember the name now but the hotel was very plush).

I was impressed with all the sculptures at roundabouts, junctions etc which were the work of Cesar Manrique. I was also impressed that no buildings were allowed to be more than 2 storeys high and had to have shutters in certain colours. Blue on the coast and green if you were inland a bit.
  • Options
    dragonrapidedragonrapide Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spain. We found they seemed to hate the Brits. It did not matter how much we smiled, spoke and tipped people they still gave us the most miserable service.
  • Options
    ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    Seems sensible. We live in an English seaside resort so a stay-at-home holiday isn't a bad idea :)

Where is this, I might come down for a few day's in June
  • Options
    ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spain. We found they seemed to hate the Brits. It did not matter how much we smiled, spoke and tipped people they still gave us the most miserable service.

Is it any wonder why the Spanish hate the Brits, we drove up their property prices, look where that ended;)
  • Options
    Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isle Of Skye - BORING
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What, you hate the whole of Spain? It's a big country you know.

OT

A place called Altinkum in Turkey. Booked last minute so didn't research and basically listened to the lies from the travel agent which was a bad move. This was 15 years ago though so we wouldn't make the same mistake now
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Somewhere in S Wales.

I was young and generally not too fussy but even at that age I thought it was grim.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morocco.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blackpool - can't think of anything positive about the weekend at all (except the journey home). Didn't like the town much, so expensive to get up the tower, funfair awful and the hotel served their main meal "tea" at 5 pm with cups of tea. Ok for some but we like dinner about 7 pm with a nice glass of wine. Beach wasn't too bad I suppose but the lights were very disappointing.

Best holidays though Fort William, Scotland and Laugharne, Wales (even though the pubs were closed on Sundays in Wales in those days!)
  • Options
    Carol VordermanCarol Vorderman Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Not so much the place I stayed at when on holiday, but when I stayed in a hotel in Reading back in 2005, the hotel was very boring looking, and I was lucky enough to be assigned a room by the tour company which had a balcony looking out onto the lake next to the hotel, and the lake was full of green sludge! Absolutely stunning! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Weston super mare.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    School skiing trip to Italy in '81. Twisted my ankle ligaments on the first day, and had to have a plaster cast fitted. Not a good place to be when you're in that condition.
  • Options
    Carol VordermanCarol Vorderman Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    School skiing trip to Italy in '81. Twisted my ankle ligaments on the first day, and had to have a plaster cast fitted. Not a good place to be when you're in that condition.
    That is exactly why I refuse to ever go skiing, anywhere or ever!
  • Options
    riannerianne Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crete. It was a cheap holiday, but the travel rep made out we would be close to the beach (which we wasn't and it was a pebble beach of all things! and that it was 10 minutes walk to the main strip (again it wasn't more like 30 to 40 minutes).

The hotel was nice, but just too far out of the way for a couple who don't drive.
  • Options
    bostin_austinbostin_austin Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dissagree again .Where were you ? The Silver coast is stunning with lovely people , lovely restaurants , lovely empty beaches .Glorious and beautifull scenery and I loved it .We met nothing but helpful and kind locals

Completely agree with this- we always go to the Silver Coast- spent a month there last year and the year before. Beaches and people are so beautiful- a far cry from the likes of Albuferia etc.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,240
    Forum Member
    blossom24 wrote: »
    Kos

People were lovely but the food was awful, I was sick 11 out of the 14 days ( and I have a cast iron constitution!) .
    Place was absolutely filthy, beaches non existent and everywhere looked like an abandoned building site.

What resort was that?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Would be interested to know where that was? The Spanish I've met love Brits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In these days of Tripadvisor, Google Street View and endless review websites it's pretty hard to get a bad holiday, some of the complaints on here are obviously from people who did no research and/or just took a travel reps word for it.
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    Tunisia - 'I give you good price, your beautiful Scottish eyes break my heart.' :mad: SHUT THE PHUCK UP.

Menorca: they don't call it Nappy Valley for nothing; Thos Cook package holiday hell with nothing to do and nothing picturesque to see.

ETA I lived on Gran Canaria for a while and took a day trip out of curiosity to Playa del Ingles. Just to see if it was as bad as the stereotype. Jesus wept, it made me utterly, utterly depressed. Breezeblock concrete everywhere and full of duty free electronic and perfume shops, drunken Brits catcalling me in the street, arid desert surroundings (but that's pretty much the whole island) and nothing remotely Spanish anywhere. What surprised me was that a lot of my Spanish friends on the island actually enjoyed going to places like PDI, Maspalomas, etc, for the weekend; when I couldn't find a single redeeming feature about the resorts. :confused: