Bit of car advice please?

Comments

• Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    I don't think you should get a Ka.:rolleyes:

:D Just kiddin', seems like people only read the first three posts and then reply.

Insurance £1255 on the Yaris with the box fitted? Gosh. I assume they'll charge extra every time you go over 30, stop out late or go round a corner too fast.

I heard a tale on the radio a while ago about a mother telling her daughter off for all the violations she was getting. Then the daughter goes off to Uni and mother drives - and she got violations too !

LLet us know how you get on with it. :)

I'll let you know how tomorrow goes! It's a Hastings Smartmiles one,
    What aspects of my driving are monitored by the SmartMiles box?
    We track your acceleration, braking and speed, as well as your mileage and the time of day or night you drive. In addition, we may use the data to make sure your car is usually kept at the address that you stated on your policy.

I'm a 19 year old new driver, so my insurance isn't going to be brilliant pricewise!
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    I'm not looking at a KA anymore. Please read the whole thread before commenting! I'm looking at a Yaris tomorrow.

It's 1.3, insurance is £1255, with dad as a named driver and Hastings' smartmiles box.

Sweet Jesus! £1300 insurance on a 1.3 Yaris?!?!

I know you're a new driver, but that's obscene. These insurance companies really do take the piss sometimes.

It's not often I'm glad to be almost 40, but when it comes to car insurance, I'm glad I've got a few miles on the clock.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    haha I know! I don't know how many times I've said it, but people keep posting about ka's!

:D Makes me smile!

Let us know how you get on with the Yaris! :) Hope it's a good one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D Makes me smile!

Let us know how you get on with the Yaris! :) Hope it's a good one.

haha 7 times I've said that I'm not looking at a KA anymore! I'll update tomorrow once I've seen the yaris :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked the car, dad drove it a bit and so did the lady who owns it.
    it's got 2 really minor bumps, nothing serious though.
    she's after £2250 for it and isn't really budging, dad offered £2100 and she wasn't keen.
    Dad said it was a nice car though, but isn't wanting to go to £2250.

So we're having a think.
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a lot for a 10 year old car, low mileage or not.

I traded my 11 year old car in last week, I got £1400 for it, but that was a family friend who was having it off me and being generous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dollymarie wrote: »
    That's a lot for a 10 year old car, low mileage or not.

I traded my 11 year old car in last week, I got £1400 for it, but that was a family friend who was having it off me and being generous.

We went through the service books, everything bar 1 tyre is original, it is taxed and MOT'ed until November.

She had it value'd by Which? which is where she got the price from.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    We went through the service books, everything bar 1 tyre is original, it is taxed and MOT'ed until November.

Bear in mind that if you make any sort of lower offer the woman will almost certainly claim the car tax back.

If the car is really what you want, and you have the money, then £2250 isn't really much different to £2100, if you take account of the value of the car tax.

Did you ask the woman whether the car tax was included in the price?

I'm not very up on Yaris prices, I'm afraid. However, small cars are always expensive because they are in great demand. You could try looking on Autotrader to get an idea of whether this price is realistic or not. Did you know how much she was asking before you went to view the car?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Galaxy266 wrote: »
    Bear in mind that if you make any sort of lower offer the woman will almost certainly claim the car tax back.

If the car is really what you want, and you have the money, then £2250 isn't really much different to £2100, if you take account of the value of the car tax.

Did you ask the woman whether the car tax was included in the price?

I'm not very up on Yaris prices, I'm afraid. However, small cars are always expensive because they are in great demand. You could try looking on Autotrader to get an idea of whether this price is realistic or not. Did you know how much she was asking before you went to view the car?

Autotrader only has 2 1.3 Yaris's within 30 miles of me, that are under £2500.
    one at £1,550, but with 117,000 miles and 2 dents, and 18 months older
    and one at £1,699 and 112,000 miles on it, and a quite a few scuffs on the inside, and about 6 months newer.
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

so there's 4 original tyres on a 53 plate car (including spare) .. well worth checking for signs of ageing eg cracks in sidewall

quick glance on autotrader & price seems fair/around the norm --- small car with good reputation premium --- even thought they are assembled in France!

only travelling 30 miles -- would have to be 100 mile radius for me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barky99 wrote: »
    so there's 4 original tyres on a 53 plate car (including spare) .. well worth checking for signs of ageing eg cracks in sidewall

quick glance on autotrader & price seems fair/around the norm --- small car with good reputation premium --- even thought they are assembled in France!

only travelling 30 miles -- would have to be 100 mile radius for me!

We've checked all the tyres - 1 is new, 3 are original.

The 30 miles is what dad says he'd be willing to drive me to look at cars, - it's not my limitation!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10 year old tyres???? Seriously - budget for replacing all three - or use that as a bargaining aid towards the price you want to pay. That age isn't good - do as Barky says - check the tyres for cracks, both on the exterior sidewall and the inner one (that's what dads are for - crawling around underneath the car).

I guess it's also a 10 year old accessory / timing belt(s). Factor in a couple of hundred (I'm guessing the price here) to get those replaced.

Cost up replacing plugs and probably HT leads - these may not have handled the test of time too well, as well as all filters.

Presumably the service books identified fluids (brake, oil, coolant) have been replaced at the necessary TIME service intervals (ignore the mileage - most if not all service schedules require replacement at EITHER a given mileage or elapsed time, whichever occurs the first).

It's pricey, as well, for a 10 year old car, but that's for you to decide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Summat wrote: »
    10 year old tyres???? Seriously - budget for replacing all three - or use that as a bargaining aid towards the price you want to pay. That age isn't good - do as Barky says - check the tyres for cracks, both on the exterior sidewall and the inner one (that's what dads are for - crawling around underneath the car).

I guess it's also a 10 year old accessory / timing belt(s). Factor in a couple of hundred (I'm guessing the price here) to get those replaced.

Cost up replacing plugs and probably HT leads - these may not have handled the test of time too well, as well as all filters.

Presumably the service books identified fluids (brake, oil, coolant) have been replaced at the necessary TIME service intervals (ignore the mileage - most if not all service schedules require replacement at EITHER a given mileage or elapsed time, whichever occurs the first).

It's pricey, as well, for a 10 year old car, but that's for you to decide.

Dad looked at all the service books, he knows what he's looking for. He also checked the tyres.

It starts first time, even after sitting about in the cold/snow for a month.

It's being sold, as the lady who owns it - it was her mother's car before she died. They've been using it as a "spare" car, but it's just taking up space on the driveway and isn't being used enough to justify keeping it. Dad tried getting her down to £2100, but we're the first people who've seen it and she wanted to see what other people were offering.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    £150 isn't that much when you're buying a car in the thousands. I wouldn't let £150 make the difference for you. I'd get those tyres changed though as 10 year old tyres are pretty dangerous!:eek:
    What about the KA anyway?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm only going by what dad's said.

The KA is out and isnt being considered as an option anymore.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dad looked at all the service books, he knows what he's looking for. He also checked the tyres.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/care-guide/ten-tyre-care-tips
    Replace tyres still in service ten years or more from the date of manufacture with new tyres, even if they appear serviceable and even if they have not reached the legal wear limit.

Also, I'm not saying you must replace them (though that's what Michelin say), but rather to budget for them, or use that as a bargaining tool for the sale price.

Just from the statement that everything is original except one tyre, I take it that your dad checked the items mentioned, particularly the timing belt have been maintained (and replaced) - basically, anything rubber perishes over time, and a timing belt snapping could cost you more in repairs than the car is worth.

** ACTUALLY ** I have to apologise - Yaris is chain driven, not belt, so that's much less of an issue, so proper servicing and it should be fine.

Just friendly advice, is all, from someone probably close to your dad's age (I don't mean that to sound patronising - but if there's one silver lining to middle-age it's having a bit of experience with dodgy cars).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Summat wrote: »
    http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/care-guide/ten-tyre-care-tips

Also, I'm not saying you must replace them (though that's what Michelin say), but rather to budget for them, or use that as a bargaining tool for the sale price.

Just from the statement that everything is original except one tyre, I take it that your dad checked the items mentioned, particularly the timing belt have been maintained (and replaced) - basically, anything rubber perishes over time, and a timing belt snapping could cost you more in repairs than the car is worth.

** ACTUALLY ** I have to apologise - Yaris is chain driven, not belt, so that's much less of an issue, so proper servicing and it should be fine.

Just friendly advice, is all, from someone probably close to your dad's age (I don't mean that to sound patronising - but if there's one silver lining to middle-age it's having a bit of experience with dodgy cars).

Your post doesn't sound patronising at all! Dad says it's a good car, the one thing is the price, that he's trying to knock down. He had a good look under the bonnet before we even looked at the rest of the car.
  • Options
    Shirley CarterShirley Carter Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    I'm only going by what dad's said.

The KA is out and isnt being considered as an option anymore.

I hear rumours that andersonson gets very cheap car insurance and he's a young driver. Why don't you ask him to help you?
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Parkers guide no longer reliable for old car prices? I would've suggested using their text service to get an idea of value. I think you give them the registration and mileage and they give you a range of values. Might be worth looking at their website for details...
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glad u liked the car. All the points in above posts are on the ball. I can add...

10 year old tyres - yes, budget for replacements - even if the amount of tread depth looks ok....
    ...i had one "odd" tyre on my Polo which was still had about 6 months life of tread in it, when i took it in to have the other 3 changed. The guy said, change it anyway, for 6months saving and the fact it was like 6 years old....he said in Germany you are not allowed to even use tyres that old - even if they have only been used for silly short distances, like 500miles. Their limit is 4 years, regardless of miles done, down to the weathering effect, eg when the rubber flakes away + cracks with age rather than miles.

And the service as well, with a complete fluid change. Cars like Yaris (and others) only manage to stay at their best if you treat them with a bit of TLC. So, clutch/brake fluid, oil, oil filter, and air filter (i know some people who get backstreet mechanic friends to do a simple service and they dont even bother changing the air filter). Seen ones taken out which have not been changed for many, many years - hard to think how the engine can breath like that.
    BTW, windscreen wiper blades dont last forever - the ones on my Polo when i bought it were in a shocking state when i got it and i simply had to change them in order to see anything at all in the rain.

Yaris MK1 commands a high price. I have seen a few "very well kept" examples around here on sale, which are like year 2000 and even they command silly money. They were often bought in the first place by "well to do" mum and dad's for the kids, and "well to do" mum + dad saw to it the little car was well looked after etc. I would expect a Yaris to have had a much better life in this respect than say a Citroen Saxo or Vauxhall Corsa, or Ford Ka.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Yaris is waaaay overpriced. I'd pay £1500 absolute tops, and that would break my heart.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a first car, personally I'd find something unloved for under a grand, the sort of car others wouldn't touch with a bargepole because of their reputation. If you keep £400 in the bank for a head gasket change and have a read up about common faults and what to check, you can be quids in. I've had 7 cars, 6 of them Fiats and Rovers which everyone says will go up in a cloud of steam and smoke in the first five minutes. Been up and down the country in them all, no breakdowns, only had head gasket failure twice (Fiat blew at 40k, Rover was blown when I bought it).

If it breaks expensively or you clash it into something the pain of sending a cheap car over the weighbridge is greatly lessened. :D
  • Options
    oatstieoatstie Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New tyres will be pretty cheap on a car like a KA, probably around £40 each including fitting for a budget brand.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this site is worth a look as well
    www.honestjohn.co.uk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oatstie wrote: »
    New tyres will be pretty cheap on a car like a KA, probably around £40 each including fitting for a budget brand.

I'm not looking at a KA anymore. Please read the thread properly before replying - this post is going to sound really harsh and I don't mean it to, but this is now the 8th time in 4 pages I've had to say that I'm not even considering a KA anymore.
    David (2) wrote: »
    this site is worth a look as well
    www.honestjohn.co.uk

I've had a look on honestjohn, someone mentioned it a few pages back with the ka - thanks though :)