Options

Justice for Jade - Dangerous dogs petition

Comments

• Options
    shuddershudder Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Because people's much-loved pets, which have done nothing wrong, have been confiscated and kept in kennels for years simply because of how they look, while the courts decide if they are of the banned "type". Even vets can't agree what is and is not a "pit bull type" (although I've met vets who don't know a field spaniel or a lakeland terrier when they see one, so perhaps that's not saying much).

The conditions that confiscated dogs are kept in not always good and there have been incidents of dogs dying while in "custody" because vet treatment has not been sought early enough. Dogs are pack animals and keeping them locked up alone, and preventing them from having free running exercise, is widely regarded as inhumane, so numerous (possibly hundreds by now) dogs have suffered.

And then there are the families who have suffered the grief of being separated from their pets, often forever if it is deemed to be a banned "type" and euthanased.

Sounds like scaremongering to me - kennels are also used when people go on holiday no? So not the borstals you describe

Also, why have a dog that looks like a pit bull? Staffies etc are the ugliest things I have ever seen and look more like a skinned thing from a horror movie than a pet
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    have signed :)
  • Options
    impartialobservimpartialobserv Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I have to agree.

Does anyone know why the dogs attacked Jade. It is a shame we only hear half a story.

Are you insinuating that Jade potentially provoked this attack or in some way deserved to be set upon a pack of dogs? Your pose appears to suggest as much.
  • Options
    MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shudder wrote: »
    1/ people need transport - nobody needs a dog other than blind dogs/working dogs

THAT DOESN'T MEAN THAT PEOPLE SHOULD BE DENIED THE CHANCE TO HAVE A PET DOG IT THEY WANT ONE. WE DON'T NEED TVS, BUT WE ENJOY HAVING THEM

Yes but your TV should remain for your entertainment and not be inflicted upon others such that it causes injury

2/ Volvos don't start up on their own and mount pavements to kill kids

MORE PEOPLE ARE KILLED IN CAR ACCIDENTS THAN DOG ATTACKS EACH YEAR. MAYBE WE SHOULD BAN CARS

Incorrect - cars do not kill independently of a driver -p dogs do

3/ people are responsible for controlling cars - what we need is CONTROL for dogs

BUT PEOPLE DON'T CONTROL CARS, DO THEY? THEY DRIVE DRUNK, THEY SPEED, THEY USE MOBILE PHONES AT THE WHEEL. CARS ARE FAR MORE DANGEROUS THAN DOGS

Erm, perhaps your most bizarre comparison as anyone driving drunk, etc is acting OUTSIDE the law, therefore liable to prosecution so the same would apply to anyone breaking dog control laws

I would say we need

a - dogs in public always on leads and muzzled

DON'T NEED TO BE ON LEADS IF MUZZLED

Yes, they do - they can still knock someone over, alarm, frighten kids, jump on people, get out of control on roads etc

b - a licence for every dog and OWNER in control of the dog - like with a driving licence, some little kid cannot be in control of a big brute of a dog

PEOPLE DRIVE CARS WITHOUT HAVING A LICENCE. IT WILL ONLY BE RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERS WHO MAKE THE EFFORT TO GET A LICENCE, THE IRRESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERS WILL JUST CARRY ON AS THEY DO NOW.... ESPECIALLY IF THERE IS A COST INVOLVED

I refer you again to the law breaking aspect detailed above

c - a limit to how many dogs per property

SO, IF YOU HAVE A MANSION YOU CAN HAVE A PACK OF 100 DOGS, COMPARED TO A ONE BEDROOMED HOUSE? SURELY THOSE 100 DOGS ARE GOING TO BE A PROBLEM?

I would not expect anyone to allow someone to have 100 dogs - weird point you make there

d - a limit to size and breed of dog owned for residential purposes - if people want a dog as company or a pet, then the size should not matter

SMALL DOGS ARE A LOT MORE LIKELY TO SNAP AND BITE, I WOULDN'T WANT A JACK RUSSELL FOR EXAMPLE WITH CHILDREN. A BIG DOG IS LESS LIKELY TO BITE, STATISTICALLY. I HAVE A GERMAN SHEPHERD, SHE'S NEVER BITTEN ANYONE - WHY SHOULDN'T I BE ALLOWED TO HAVE HER?

Larger dogs can do more damage and more likely to result in fatality - also german shepherds attack more than any other breed

e - 'dangerous' dogs to be highly trained and only used by the police to control criminals

YOU CAN'T DESCRIBE A BREED OF DOG AS DANGEROUS, ITS MOSTLY THE OWNER AND LACK OF TRAINING WHICH CAUSES A DOG TO BE DANGEROUS

I would expect the guidance to state a dangerous dog as being over a certain size and not controlled by the other laws

f - designated walking areas fenced in so that kids/joggers etc are not bothered by loose animals.

A MUZZLED OR WELL-TRAINED DOG IS PERFECTLY SAFE IN ANY AREA

So if your dog is well trained and a jogger runs past the dog simply ignores them :rolleyes: it is an animal still - the arrogance of 'owning'' another living creature does not change that fact

e - all breeders to have a breeding licence and registered appropriate property - anyone else selling an animal to be banned from keeping them for life

THIS I WOULD AGREE WITH

I think the thing that worries me the most about owners who get as angry as you have, is that it also removed my trust of dog owners as well as dogs

So many owners/dog lovers are aggressive and unrational that I don't feel that either end of the lead is safe most of the time

What???? :confused::confused: I'm not angry! I just didn't agree with the measures suggested by you, and made my own suggestions. The problem with people who don't like dogs is that they seem to judge all dog owners as the same. Oops, that would be me making an assumption though - just like you did!!

By the way, people might think I said that!! :D
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree the DDA needs looking at, but I won't be signing this.

As the law currently stands, a dog may not be pts for attacking someone on private property, even a child with permission to be there, but may be destroyed for having the wrong shaped head or the wrong colour nose!!
    Who does that help??

I personally would liek to see designated dog-walking areas, where joggers, cyslists and children do not pose a threat to my dog.

I'd like to see all dogs have an MOT and temperament check every year, if they are deemed to be aggressive then yes they should be on lead in public. Don't see the need for muzzles if people are sensible about approaching dogs.

Agree, breeding definitely needs to have tighter restrictions, ideally only temperament tested, fit for purpose dogs should ever be bred from with all the appropriate health dogs.
    Also the sale of dogs should be restricted, you should need a licence for that IMO and puppy farms should be banned, forever!

Also, all dog trainers and behaviourists should have a relevant and up to date qualifications and experience and the industry should be closely monitored.

And to Shudder, my 'ugly' staffie x does not chase joggers or bikes, bother children or other dogs and is about as dangerous as candyfloss :p
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like scaremongering to me - kennels are also used when people go on holiday no? So not the borstals you describe

Also, why have a dog that looks like a pit bull? Staffies etc are the ugliest things I have ever seen and look more like a skinned thing from a horror movie than a pet

Boarding kennels are miles apart from council pounds.

Your second paragraph just highlights your ignorance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MadMoo40 wrote: »
    What???? :confused::confused: I'm not angry! I just didn't agree with the measures suggested by you, and made my own suggestions. The problem with people who don't like dogs is that they seem to judge all dog owners as the same. Oops, that would be me making an assumption though - just like you did!!

By the way, people might think I said that!! :D

:D

Fair - I feel more like we could get somewhere if owners did not have kneejerk reactions

A responsible owner should be FOR control - for the sake of everyone, including their own dogs

I have seen some nasty dog-on-dog attacks while walking
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Yes, thought so, found it!

9 New Measures Announced

Including...

Defra Minister, Owen Paterson, announced in Written Statement to the House of Commons on 6 February 2013, a series of measures to deal with strays and dangerous dogs:

 The offence under section 3 of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 of allowing a dog to cause injury, or fear of injury, will be extended to all places, including private property. However, the proposed amendment will not will not provide protection to trespassers who have entered a private property, if the householder believes they have unlawful intentions.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=7&sqi=2&ved=0CGQQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parliament.uk%2Fbriefing-papers%2Fsn04348.pdf&ei=yKVhUcrEFOWf0QWum4GgBg&usg=AFQjCNEFtUEEePkoVTid-_dgwWkL-61q_g&sig2=e9l7xE0I0HTnbATkdbjbJQ&bvm=bv.44770516,d.d2k

Am I missing something? If I was the householder in the Jade case, of course I would say that she was a trespasser who was going to nick stuff. He / she is hardly going to say otherwise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can this be extended to parents being accountable when their kids make other peoples lives hell through anti social behaviour?
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Am I missing something? If I was the householder in the Jade case, of course I would say that she was a trespasser who was going to nick stuff. He / she is hardly going to say otherwise.

I understood that she was in the house by invitation! I think they would be hard pressed to try and prove or even suggest that she was trespassing or burgling the place. She was, I understand, in the kitchen, eating a meat pie...hardly the actions of an illicit trespasser or burglar!
  • Options
    MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D

Fair - I feel more like we could get somewhere if owners did not have kneejerk reactions

A responsible owner should be FOR control
    - for the sake of everyone, including their own dogs

I have seen some nasty dog-on-dog attacks while walking

I am for control of dogs - I just don't think the measures suggested would solve the problem.

I had my kitten killed in front of me last year. 2 dogs (husky and german shepherd) came into my garden and dragged it from where it was sleeping and pulled it to death. It was horrific. So I couldn't be more on the side of people wanting dogs to be controlled and looked after properly. However, I don't think the dogs, or their breed, was to blame.

It was the owners fault - and also the fault of the police and RSPCA who had received many complaints over the previous 10 years about the owners and the fact their dogs were being ill-treated, neglected, untrained and always escaping and frightening people.

They could have used existing laws and legislation available to them, but both passed the buck onto the other time after time. The police said it was an RSPCA matter, the RSPCA said it was a police matter. Neither did anything and the situation ended up with 2 animals being killed.

It was only when I got involved (and a farmer whose lambs were savaged later that same day) that anything got done. The dogs involved were destroyed - and I blame the owners for those deaths too. The dogs never had a chance from the moment they bought them.

The are currently banned from keeping dogs for 3 years .... so promptly went out and got cats, a parrot and a horse, and the RSPCA are beyond useless as they don't want to get involved, even though they have been told that these animals aren't being looked after.

So in my opinion, having laws, and new laws, won't solve anything unless the police actually make the effort to uphold them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »

Erm,, your thinking that everyone lies to get out of trouble, (even in this case which would besmirch the rep of a young girl who died), is slightly off

A liar always assumes others are liars ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MadMoo40 wrote: »
    I am for control of dogs - I just don't think the measures suggested would solve the problem.

I had my kitten killed in front of me last year. 2 dogs (husky and german shepherd) came into my garden and dragged it from where it was sleeping and pulled it to death. It was horrific. So I couldn't be more on the side of people wanting dogs to be controlled and looked after properly. However, I don't think the dogs, or their breed, was to blame.

It was the owners fault - and also the fault of the police and RSPCA who had received many complaints over the previous 10 years about the owners and the fact their dogs were being ill-treated, neglected, untrained and always escaping and frightening people.

They could have used existing laws and legislation available to them, but both passed the buck onto the other time after time. The police said it was an RSPCA matter, the RSPCA said it was a police matter. Neither did anything and the situation ended up with 2 animals being killed.

It was only when I got involved (and a farmer whose lambs were savaged later that same day) that anything got done. The dogs involved were destroyed - and I blame the owners for those deaths too. The dogs never had a chance from the moment they bought them.

The are currently banned from keeping dogs for 3 years .... so promptly went out and got cats, a parrot and a horse, and the RSPCA are beyond useless as they don't want to get involved, even though they have been told that these animals aren't being looked after.

So in my opinion, having laws, and new laws, won't solve anything unless the police actually make the effort to uphold them.

I agree, the laws need to be in place and upheld

So sorry for your experience, totally horrific :cry:

I do not hold the RSPCA in high esteem I am afraid - they get more donations made to them than children's charities but time and again I hear of them not taking reports seriously
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also german shepherds attack more than any other breed
    According to this site below (Source: Dog attack deaths and maimings, US and Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006. Merritt Clifton.). Pitbull Terriers seems to be well and truly in the lead, though as a forum poster stated on petforums.co.uk where I found the link, rightly IMO "The statistics are gathered solely from media reports, which is completely unreliable as the media have a preference for demonising certain breeds, plus there is also the issue of accurate identification of the breed itself, especially pitbulls". Still interesting data none the less

http://www.dog-obedience-training-online.com/dog-bite-statistics-by-breed.html

I agree we need more measures though
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erm,, your thinking that everyone lies to get out of trouble, (even in this case which would besmirch the rep of a young girl who died), is slightly off

It would also be a matter for a court to decide! If the CPS are happy that there is enough evidence, the defendant would have to use this as their mitigating circumstances!
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can this be extended to parents being accountable when their kids make other peoples lives hell through anti social behaviour?

Indeed, chav muzzles and leads should be made compulsory , also litter training would be a great help.:)
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Nope, not signing this semi-illiterate garbage. If my dogs bite a burglar, they can be confiscated and put to sleep? No, no, no.

I agree, on both counts.
  • Options
    jaceylaceyjaceylacey Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Signed. Hope it gets loads more signatures.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So you'd put your hands up? As for "besmirch the rep of a young girl" WTF?
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just going to sign it and also spread the word.:)
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,576
    Forum Member
    gold2040 wrote: »

Thank you. I did hear a pie may have been involved but why did she not throw the pie away from her when they stared to attack?

I understand that they must still be investigating what may have happened and cannot think that they will ever find out :(
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,576
    Forum Member
    Are you insinuating that Jade potentially provoked this attack or in some way deserved to be set upon a pack of dogs? Your pose appears to suggest as much.

Where did I say that :confused: I never said no such thing or suggested it.. thank you!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many children are killed or seriously injured by dogs every year? Less than 10?

I imagine we could prevent a hundredfold more deaths by reducing the speed limit by 10mph, regulating children's food content, or a whole host of other things. Do you know how many kids get asthma every year because of pollution? But you want to fanny on legislating for dogs?

On any sensible cost benefit analysis, legislating for dangerous dogs (again) is an utter waste of society's resources.

And no, I don't have a dog.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47845

This petition was started by the father of Jade Anderson, who was killed in a ferocious dog attack last week. It doesn't seem to have many signatures. I just thought I'd post it here, in case anyone would like to lend their support.

While I believe something needs to be done about the situation where dogs attack injure or kill children and others. I don't personally think the present dangerous dog act is working and another law introduced that follows the rout being suggested (making all dogs = dangerous) I feel we need to address a couple of issues. 1 dog training and 2 keeping of numerous dogs. in thes case there were a number of dogs involved. dogs are pack animals and people who keep more than two are really putting the nature that controls these animals. There are some other things that cause dogs to attack but the failure to understand 'dog behaviour' is one of the most common causes of dog attack.
    I speak from experience here too. my child got bitten by our otherwise well behaved dog because she had food and the dog did what came naturally, she tried to get the food.
    Fortunately my child wasn't hurt. I don't have the dog it has been rehomed.

I was unaware that food was involved in this case, I did not intend to suggest fault, in this case. as I was posting others added!
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47845

This petition was started by the father of Jade Anderson, who was killed in a ferocious dog attack last week. It doesn't seem to have many signatures. I just thought I'd post it here, in case anyone would like to lend their support.

Whilst offering no criticism to the guy who started this petition, as I fully understand and appreciate his motives, I'm not signing it. If passed it will open the door to all manner of spurious claims, ranging from paper boys to intruders.

I do, however, think that ALL dogs should be muzzled when off private property, even if on a lead.