Options

Why is modern architecture so ugly?

Anyone else a bit fed up with the substandard quality of modern buildings?

I thought that they may have learnt following the heinously ugly tower blocks of the 60's.

Yet in my local town and in London they seem intent on building endless buildings which are only marginally better than the ones that came before.

Discuss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not. Next.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    vosne wrote: »
    It's not. Next.

Maybe it's not in your eyes, but I know that an awful lot of people think otherwise.

Care to get off your online high-horse and debate?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    firesale1 wrote: »
    Maybe it's not in your eyes, but I know that an awful lot of people think otherwise.

Care to get off your online high-horse and debate?

Not really. Giddy up.

Btw, I bet most people thought venerated classical architecture was shit when it was built.

And the views of the masses are of no interest to me. They're usually wrong.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer new builds
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not really. Giddy up.

Btw, I bet most people thought venerated classical architecture was shit when it was built.

And the views of the masses are of no interest to me. They're usually wrong.

Lol, giddy up. Quite the king of one-liners aren't you.

Anyway no, I don't think so. I know that certain buildings were criticsed, but as far as I know there was never a wholesale feeling that architecture was 'shit', such as many people feel now.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool city centre has seen something of a building boom in the last few years I would say at least half are a credit to those responsible (Liverpool One shopping centre, the rebuilt public library and the new Museum of Liverpool are three outstanding examples)
    Some hotels look a bit too 'trendy' for me and will look naff very soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree, some of the new ones in Liverpool are pretty good.

The problem I have with 'modern' architecture is that it seems to be a tiny proportion of new buildings that are actually any good, or will age well.

And inevitably those tend to be the really expensive, high-profile ones - the Shard, skyscrapers in the City etc. The average 'modern' building or house is rubbish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ii can't see how people are expected to live in modern houses, they are stupidly small and jammed together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol, giddy up. Quite the king of one-liners aren't you.

Anyway no, I don't think so. I know that certain buildings were criticsed, but as far as I know there was never a wholesale feeling that architecture was 'shit', such as many people feel now.

Jolly good. They're still retarded. And btw, your theory is not true anyway. Just because you, your mates, the Telegraph and the Mail think anything built after 1387 is cack, that doesn't mean you can roll it out to the rest of us.

Plenty of modern buildings are loved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, some of the new ones in Liverpool are pretty good.

The problem I have with 'modern' architecture is that it seems to be a tiny proportion of new buildings that are actually any good, or will age well.

And inevitably those tend to be the really expensive, high-profile ones - the Shard, skyscrapers in the City etc. The average 'modern' building or house is rubbish.

Now the Shard, that is a dull piece of work.
  • Options
    Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    It's because the overriding consideration is cost rather than building for posterity.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buildings take a while for the populace to get used to.
    The ugly cheap ones tend to get removed over time, people will look back on modern architecture as better than we think now.

Frankly, most is dire and without personality. I hate excessive glass too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »

Now that does look pretty hideous. I mean, who builds stuff like that. Being a bus shelter, it should have better seats and proper sides on it!

:p
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many millions were spent on our local hospital and it now looks fantastic.

However, it's purpose is not to look fantastic.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't there a saying about pleasing all the people all the time? You can't.

Some modern architecture is fabulous, some not so much. I'm sure there are people that love what I hate. It all evens out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not. Next.

I concur.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Many millions were spent on our local hospital and it now looks fantastic.

However, it's purpose is not to look fantastic.

I would think that the look of a hospital is important in that it helps to create a pleasant ambience.
    Wouldn't be very nice going to an ugly or badly designed hospital.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,449
    Forum Member
    Why is modern architecture so ugly?

I'm not sure it is because some of it is good and interesting. The worst is over because the hideous concrete brutalism period lasted between the 1950s-1970s.

Links:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutalist_architecture
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=concrete+brutalism&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=LPNhUa_ONMzEPMaFgMgK&ved=0CEMQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=600 (now they really are ugly buildings)

You know that a residential or office building has gone very wrong if it looks like a nuclear power station or cement factory.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Discuss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Javelin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Jolly good. They're still retarded. And btw, your theory is not true anyway. Just because you, your mates, the Telegraph and the Mail think anything built after 1387 is cack, that doesn't mean you can roll it out to the rest of us.

Plenty of modern buildings are loved.

Lol. Jumping to conclusions are we?

Your point is taken however. Of course plenty of people love modern architecture - I like a lot of the buildings too, but like I say, they tend only to be the high profile ones that cost a bomb. Whereas a standard brick terrace house in London could last over 300 years and still look decent.

I think a number of polls have suggested that a majority of Brits prefer older architecture. I can't be arsed to find them - there are def out there though...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Isn't there a saying about pleasing all the people all the time? You can't.

Some modern architecture is fabulous, some not so much. I'm sure there are people that love what I hate. It all evens out.

Agreed. My point is that architects refuse to build anything that looks remotely 'traditional'. There is a massive bias against such styles of architecture - they don't teach it in architecture schools. Three of my good school friends did architecture, and they came out despising older buildings. They said that if you tried to submit plans for an older building, then that would guarantee failing at every point. A better balance in building styles is needed - at the moment all we get is glass and steel blocks.
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glyn W wrote: »
    It's because the overriding consideration is cost rather than building for posterity.

I agree.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. My point is that architects refuse to build anything that looks remotely 'traditional'. There is a massive bias against such styles of architecture - they don't teach it in architecture schools. Three of my good school friends did architecture, and they came out despising older buildings. They said that if you tried to submit plans for an older building, then that would guarantee failing at every point. A better balance in building styles is needed - at the moment all we get is glass and steel blocks.

It's not that we are taught to despise traditional buildings, we are taught to push the envelope and not pastiche old buildings. We no longer build things in traditional ways, we use the buildings differently, and it would be daft to go backwards. The focus of the future is renewables and probably a more flexible and technological family home. At the moment that all looks ugly.

What you are taught in university is nothing like reality, thankfully. They all have a boner for Le Corbusier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    It's not that we are taught to despise traditional buildings, we are taught to push the envelope and not pastiche old buildings. We no longer build things in traditional ways, we use the buildings differently, and it would be daft to go backwards. The focus of the future is renewables and probably a more flexible and technological family home. At the moment that all looks ugly.

What you are taught in university is nothing like reality, thankfully. They all have a boner for Le Corbusier.

Fair enough. But surely if one were to apply modern practices to older styles it would surely be easy to 'adapt' them to the modern world. My point is that no thought has gone into this whatsoever.

On a side note, what do you think of the buildings in this thread? http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1022349&page=64

Would you agree that some of them are certainly not 'kitsch' or 'pastiche'?