Options

If everyone dies when they reach the age of 90 . .

scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
Forum Member
✭✭
. . how would that change how we live now?

Comments

• Options
    leslie caseleslie case Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    good idea!
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd have to work even longer for even less pension to pay for it for starters.
  • Options
    a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent Idea.

A determined length of free time at the end of your working life.

I'd go so far as to say a windfall to a person or charity of your choice for ending your life earlier.

Bring on carousel from logan's run.
    Then Soylent Green us all for food.

Me i'd P**s the last year up the wall.
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Does anyone have any statistics on what percentage of us live to over 90? Having seen the inmates in my mother in law's care home I tend to feel that there is a good case for lowering this maximum by a good five or ten years! ;)
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My grandad lived to be 91 but his health noticeably went downhill in his 80's - he couldn't enjoy doing most of the things he used to, such as gardening - so I'd only want to live to be 90 if I was in good health.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would want not want to die untill I was ready:)
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christ, I'll be lucky to see 90... :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't help but feel that the age of 40-45 which was the average life expectancy many centuries ago is the right age to go. Why would you want to live in a decrepit manner into the next half a century? Age takes a huge toll as the years go by. It is better to live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse
  • Options
    GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't help but feel that the age of 40-45 which was the average life expectancy many centuries ago is the right age to go. Why would you want to live in a decrepit manner into the next half a century? Age takes a huge toll as the years go by. It is better to live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse
    As someone who is aged 40-45 I'd take decrepitude over death, thanks very much.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member

My dad thinks similar. He eats and drinks unhealthily and the only exercise he gets is at work. He says hed rather enjoy his life as it is and die at 60 that live off salads and go running in the hope of living to be 100 locked up in a care home not knowing who he is.
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't help but feel that the age of 40-45 which was the average life expectancy many centuries ago is the right age to go.

I'm 46 in September - so I'll take your idea with a pinch of salt thank you.
    Why would you want to live in a decrepit manner into the next half a century?

Decrepit? Are you having a laugh? Having time of my life at moment - best job I've ever had, nicest car I've ever had, better off financially than ever before, three foreign holidays last year, got engaged at Christmas so will be getting married in next eighteen months or so. Why would I want to give all this up? I'd have gladly fast forwarded through my thirties to get to where I am now - but no way would I want to end it all once I reach my mid-forties.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm 46 in September - so I'll take your idea with a pinch of salt thank you.

Decrepit? Are you having a laugh? Having time of my life at moment - best job I've ever had, nicest car I've ever had, better off financially than ever before, three foreign holidays last year, got engaged at Christmas so will be getting married in next eighteen months or so. Why would I want to give all this up? I'd have gladly fast forwarded through my thirties to get to where I am now - but no way would I want to end it all once I reach my mid-forties.

From here onwards, time will rapidly take a toll on your health and mental facilities.

You are now beginning a very short journey that will rapidly lead you into the sunset of your life.
  • Options
    scott789sscott789s Posts: 1,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a_c_g_t wrote: »
    Excellent Idea.

A determined length of free time at the end of your working life.

I'd go so far as to say a windfall to a person or charity of your choice for ending your life earlier.

Bring on carousel from logan's run.
    Then Soylent Green us all for food.

Me i'd P**s the last year up the wall.

Renew........Renew.......Renew
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

David Cameron and President Obama are in their 40's, are they past it?

There are many healthy 60 and 70 year olds too..
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be dead long before I'm 90. I've always had a feeling I'll die at quite a young age.
  • Options
    trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From here onwards, time will rapidly take a toll on your health and mental facilities.

You are now beginning a very short journey that will rapidly lead you into the sunset of your life.

How young are you? I'm fitter now in my forties than I've ever been. Neither of my parents are decrepid yet either!
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I really don't want to live till 90. The day I can't look after myself anymore, is my time to go.
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmm.

Let me tell you that Roger Moore was 46 when he began playing James Bond. Are you saying that the likes of David Tennant, David Cameron or Richard Hammond are ready to leave this mortal coil?

Get a grip please. I know people who are still fit and active in their 60's.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't want to live till 90. The day I can't look after myself anymore, is my time to go.

What makes you think you won't be able to look after yourself at 90?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    What makes you think you won't be able to look after yourself at 90?

People are usually very frail and helpless at that age, no?
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are usually very frail and helpless at that age, no?

You'd be surprised at how many are not. My mum's 88 this year, and still lives in her own home, does all the cooking, cleaning, washing up, gardening, etc., and is still mentally alert. :)
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll be disappointed (well, if I were alive to know it) if I don't top 100. Both sides of my mum's family have 90+, with deaths at 96-102 fairly common, even back into the 19th century. My dad's family regularly made it into the late 80s, and all of them with the exception of my Grandma had all their marbles.

It just makes me think that people die fairly young at 70ish!
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My aunt is 86 and is in very good health and as sharp as she's always been. Anyone who has made it to old age in my family have lived independent lives to the end so I wouldn't mind getting 90 years.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Happy Freakin' Birthday, folks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    You'd be surprised at how many are not. My mum's 88 this year, and still lives in her own home, does all the cooking, cleaning, washing up, gardening, etc., and is still mentally alert. :)

Well I'm glad to hear that :)