Options

I might be in love with...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm being dense but if he lost his independence how did he take you to and from hospital?

He doesn't drive anymore. He can't. He uses a wheelchair. He helped me via taxis. Again, he paid for it out of his own pocket. Which is why it makes me think he must feel for me more than normal. The taxis itself must have cost - over the 2/3 weeks - about £200+.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So he didn't take you then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yasmin786 wrote: »
    He doesn't drive anymore. He can't. He uses a wheelchair. He helped me via taxis. Again, he paid for it out of his own pocket. Which is why it makes me think he must feel for me more than normal. The taxis itself must have cost - over the 2/3 weeks - about £200+.

If this tale is true, which in itself I am doubting, then you are a really horrible sister and aunt. If this is made up, then seriously, get a life.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would imagine he accepts your sister's cheating because he thinks now he's disabled it's her or nothing. It's probably very hard for him. He's probably grateful that she's stuck by him at all.

I've no idea what either of you feel, but unless they actually split up, there's nothing you can do.

2&1/2 months is nothing in bereavement for a parent, particularly as you're grieving for your brother as well. You may be that projecting all your need for security & feelings of love & loss onto him as he's reliably there.

If you made a move & realised you were mistaken in your feelings, you'd lose him, your sister & your niece & you'd have caused him a double loss.
  • Options
    Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as it's nice, and normal, to wander off into a fantasy to help cope with horrible situations, please stop this one before it becomes unhealthy.

Stop and think about the realities of this 'fantasy'. Say that it plays out how you want it to. You express your feelings for him, and he expresses them for you. What then? You think he'd break up with your sister for you? Then what happens? You think your sister, your niece, your family would be happy with the situation? The realities of such things are completely different to the scenarios played out in our heads.

He does not have feelings for you beyond those of a brother. Your brother-in-law cares for you all as a member of your family. Your brother-in-law sat with your dying mother for hours, does this mean he had feelings for her too? Of course not, he did it because he values and cares for you all as family.

With respect, his relationship with your sister is nothing to do with you. You do not know what goes on behind closed doors and how they've both chosen to deal with it. It's none of your concern.

This is a fantasy. Nothing more. It's understandable that in times of extreme circumstances people latch on to whatever helps them get by, but please recognise that this is a fantasy.

All the best.
  • Options
    MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    If this tale is true, which in itself I am doubting, then you are a really horrible sister and aunt. If this is made up, then seriously, get a life.

Sounds like a wind up to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Migster wrote: »

Yea, that's what I'm thinking now.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What took you so long?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    What took you so long?

I'm tired...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it:D
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Jen-B wrote: »
    As much as it's nice, and normal, to wander off into a fantasy to help cope with horrible situations, please stop this one before it becomes unhealthy.

Stop and think about the realities of this 'fantasy'. Say that it plays out how you want it to. You express your feelings for him, and he expresses them for you. What then? You think he'd break up with your sister for you? Then what happens? You think your sister, your niece, your family would be happy with the situation? The realities of such things are completely different to the scenarios played out in our heads.

He does not have feelings for you beyond those of a brother. Your brother-in-law cares for you all as a member of your family. Your brother-in-law sat with your dying mother for hours, does this mean he had feelings for her too? Of course not, he did it because he values and cares for you all as family.

With respect, his relationship with your sister is nothing to do with you. You do not know what goes on behind closed doors and how they've both chosen to deal with it. It's none of your concern.

This is a fantasy. Nothing more. It's understandable that in times of extreme circumstances people latch on to whatever helps them get by, but please recognise that this is a fantasy.

All the best.

This, exactly. You have been through severe emotional turmoil. Do not mistake his caring for something more and jeopardise your relationships, you could end up with nothing. This is a fantasy, an escape mechanism. Time will heal and you will see this more clearly.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Migster wrote: »

That's what I thought as soon as I'd finished reading the first post.
  • Options
    hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    Bereavement counselling may help. Talk to your GP- s/he may be able to arrange some support eg recommend a counsellor or psychiatrist.

And what Jen-B said.

But my advice is just to stand clear of this guy. Find someone else to lean on. You know this anyway, or you wouldn't have created thread.
  • Options
    Geeza BrakeGeeza Brake Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »
    That's what I thought as soon as I'd finished reading the first post.

Not a bad attempt though, it has the gritty and salacious feel of a bad Tennessee Williams play that only ran for a few nights off broadway.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a teenage fantasy.
  • Options
    jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shakespeare couldn't of done a better job.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing is he is not the kind of guy I would usually go for. He is the exact opposite. If I am falling (or have fallen in love) with a person in a wheelchair then it must be special. I want to give up everything, not that I have much, for him. Just to make his life better. I truly feel that something is bringing us together. There are too many variables at work here that are making him and me come closer.

To me it sounds like you want to rescue him from his wife's infidelity and give him the life you feel he should have.

Rescuing someone rarely works and is often about the needs of the rescuer and the disempowerment of the other party.

My advice would be to treasure the friendship and accept the relationship in those terms.
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your brother-in-law is doing nothing other than being supportive towards his wife's sister. See it for what it is, and seek professional help with your bereavements.
  • Options
    PotkettlePotkettle Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope this is not made up by OP as it would be pretty sick. Mum dying of cancer, brother drowning, brother in-law becoming disabled. Surely not.:cry:
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wouldn't be the first time, Pot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Potkettle wrote: »
    I hope this is not made up by OP as it would be pretty sick. Mum dying of cancer, brother drowning, brother in-law becoming disabled. Surely not.:cry:
    It would be extremely distasteful to make up such a story - although not unheard of, sadly.
  • Options
    tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's something about the style of the OP which doesn't ring true. It's very stilted, and the story itself is melodramatic. I'm not convinced by it.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys. I've been a regular reader of this forum for a few years but only registered yesterday as I require some in regards to a pressing matter. It is about my feelings for a guy that I should not be getting close to. But I can't help it.

You have, for "a few years" read other folks' problems and never felt the urge to register and help them out and you wait till YOU want something ! Seems to be all about "ME ME ME" !

And that is assuming it's not all fantasising.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been a lot of overly dramatic stories on various forums I've been a member of, over the years, many of which have then be exposed as being fake. It's made me extremely cynical.

If this is genuine, however, then the OP should be seeking professional counselling rather than posting about it on here, as she is possibly being made more upset by people disbelieving her.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have resisted and will do so. But then there is the thought of making his life better. Because I can make him happy. I am pretty sure he isn't happy right now and there isn't anyone that can think of him. Should be my sister but she is too busy doing her stuff. As far as my thinking goes, he is only with her because of his child. If they separate he might lose that too. Because he is disabled himself and unable to care for a child. Whereas I could. It's just a thought.

That is, if you'll excuse the harshness, a selfish and terrible thought. You may disapprove of your sister, but here you are saying that you want to take her husband and her child! Do you really think she will happily accept a situation where she drops off her daughter with her ex husband and her sister playing happy families?

It's always hard to tell, but I imagine your sister doesn't share a lot of her deeper emotions with you, but rather with the husband who still chooses to be with her.

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread - don't you dare make a move that could destroy the happiness of your niece.
  • Options
    mellybumpsmellybumps Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    If you really care for him and want his life to be better, why don't you speak to your sister (NOT about your feelings for him!) but to point out what a good man she has and ask her what the hell she's playing it. I don't understand why you don't confront her about her behaviour towards him if you are that concerned.