Options

'Asda' and 'Aldi' referred to tonight.

Comments

• Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    A man named his daughter "Facebook" so it's definatly possible someone would be named a shop. http://www.omg-facts.com/Celebs/An-Egyptian-Man-Named-His-Newborn-Daught/26927

Facebook Ibrahim has quite a good ring to it
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roll your eyes as much as you like, but the characters are kids and they'll be picking up a lot of f;ack, I find the attitude re this rather disturbing. Just goes to show how unsensitive and uncaring people are.Just need to look at adult child stars to see what this kind of BS can do to them.

Dear God, I've read some tommyrot on DS in my time. But your po-faced tripe is up there with the most nonsensical.
  • Options
    Purple.Purple. Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only the writers could listen to the rest of what is said on here as well...
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,399
    Forum Member
    Racist comments are not always as clear cut as some people make out. Taking part in banter, having a laugh and a joke, the ability to laugh at oneself is an important part of our lives on a daily basis.

In this instance, I doubt very much that there is any sort of racial motive behind the comments. It's just some doddery old lady not realising someones name. Dot Branning has been getting away with getting peoples names wrong for years so I'm a bit puzzled as to the controversy surrounding this.

In this modern world, I do think some people can get quite sensitive where racism occurs and sometimes they see it even when it's not there. Perhaps, a reason for this is because some people have been subjected to racism quite a lot so can sometimes see it when it's not there, or perhaps because of racist attacks in the past they're not always sure the motives behind an innocent comment.

I do think it unfair to have a go at anyone because they may or may not find the comments racist. In fact I think it's actually good when these situations pop up so we can discuss them. Purely because as individuals, we all have varying ideas as what would actually constitute a racist comment, but the thing is do we all have the right to state whether a comment is racist or not? Especially without knowing the whole picture.

All this brings to mind a scene on Eastenders a few months back with Ray being stopped by a white police officer and Ray immediately thought the copper was being racist and there was a huge discussion on here as to whether or not the copper was being racist because people were coming at it from different angles.

As a white person I may not understand what someone else of another race may feel with this sort of comment. It's not my place to tell them what they should or should not feel, so telling someone off for thinking a comment is racist is a bit unfair. You do have to look at it from all different sort of angles I feel.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I nearly spat out my tea laughing at that comment from Gloria. Brilliant! :D
  • Options
    wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the writers/producer chose those particular names when casting Dev and Sunitas newborn twins because they are similar to Asda and Aldis hoping that Blanche would call the twins by those names as they got older.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is unfair is this light hearted thread being highjacked by those who like to make a huge noise about nothing, take it as you want but unless they saying racist words about someones skin colour or religion/background then please enlighten me how its racist, other then a play on words.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Dot Branning has been getting away with getting peoples names wrong for years so I'm a bit puzzled as to the controversy surrounding this.

Exactly for 28 years she still hasn't mastered Mr Papadopoulos, often giving up when she gets as far as Mr Papa........

She also used to call Zainab Masood "Mrs Masmood"
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,742
    Forum Member
    It's exactly that and out of order but of course you're the ones laughing so you'd presume yourself to be right.

Please explain exactly what is wrong here? If my name was Tess and I got called Tesco for a laugh, I wouldn't take offence. But then, some people just LOVE to take offence, makes them feel self righteous. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daisydee wrote: »
    Please explain exactly what is wrong here? If my name was Tess and I got called Tesco for a laugh, I wouldn't take offence. But then, some people just LOVE to take offence, makes them feel self righteous. :rolleyes:

Yeh but thats you. Not everyone who takes offence to names being shortened or given supermarket chain names is a misery guts with no sense of humour.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,399
    Forum Member
    bornfree wrote: »
    Yeh but thats you. Not everyone who takes offence to names being shortened or given supermarket chain names is a misery guts with no sense of humour.

One thing I've learned from life, is not to take myself seriously. If someone was to take the mickey out my name 'd laugh it off and have a joke about it. If I was to complain and moan about it, the "joke" would continue even more.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,742
    Forum Member
    RuinedGirl wrote: »
    When I was little, I came home and told my Mum there was a boy in my class called ''Keyring.'' He was actually called Kieron, but as a child who had never heard the name before, I simply changed it (without knowing-I honestly believed that his name was keyring) into something which I was familiar with and which made sense to me. My parents still laugh about it to this day, because...well...it was funny :p

So I really can't understand why a character misunderstanding the names of two children (who don't happen to be white) in a soap, is considered racist. It's simply a play on words, and has nothing to do with their ethnic origin or background. It would have been just as funny if she'd said it about two white children with names she hadn't come across before.

Hah! Same in my son's school - and the nickname stuck, he didn't mind at all. It wasn't intended to mock or be nasty, he was happy to use it himself on occaison.. Some people are too quick to wave the racist card, as someone else said - it undermines REAL racism.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it could have been anything other than a misquote, it could have been offensive, hardly that frankly, but to call it racist is in itself introverted racism. Be careful what you accuse people of.
  • Options
    E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    It was sheer ignorance on Gloria's part and knowing her character to be a 'strongheaded' foot in mouth type, it wouldn't have been deliberately geared towards race. She was quickly corrected by Karl and afterwards mentioned she thought it was a 'play on words' (dev/ sunita been shopkeepers, 'poking fun' at their 'competitors)!! I work with a Chinese lady who hates her own name been pronounced wrongly by others of different 'race' she doesnt see this as a racist slur, she justs simply corrects us very calmly (yes me too, at the beginning anyway). she told us her 'nickname' for us to use, to avoid verbal confrontation in the long run........and less embarassing awkwardness from those 'ignorant' folk working with her, who now knows better!!
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    My sister has a Welsh name that has been passed down through the family. We understand that not everyone will know of it or know of its pronuncation. Do we class as racist those who query it, no of course we don't. Some people see conflict where none exists..
  • Options
    Little LeighLittle Leigh Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definition of racism
    noun
    [mass noun]
    the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races:
    theories of racism
    prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior:

Based on the above definition I have always found it a bit racist that people presume to be offended on behalf of others and fight their battles for them. I am sure that the twins parents (and Jimmi) would have read the scripts before filming and would have kicked up a stink if they did think it was out of order. I know a number of Hindu, Sikh and Muslim people and they generally have a far more developed sense of humour than some people like to give them credit for having! It was a joke which was a play on words - really nothing more needs to read into it than that, based on what was said. I would only construe such a comment to be racist if Gloria had followed it up with something along the line of 'oh, well 'those people' have silly names that are unpronounceable', or similar. She didn't.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant :D:D There's Asda, Aldi and their dad Devenhams.
  • Options
    KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    Brilliant :D:D There's Asda, Aldi and there dad Devenhams.

Devenhams!! Oh my God :D:D:D
  • Options
    Michelle JonesMichelle Jones Posts: 5,492
    Forum Member
    Not nonsense at all, glad people have the courage to speak up about it.

What a truly, TRULY sad person you are:yawn:!

How on earth is somebody getting someones name wrong remotely racist??:confused:

I mean WTF has race got to do with it?? Seriously, I can't believe how thick some people are:o
  • Options
    crazyguyz999crazyguyz999 Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a truly, TRULY sad person you are:yawn:!

How on earth is somebody getting someones name wrong remotely racist??:confused:

I mean WTF has race got to do with it?? Seriously, I can't believe how thick some people are:o

Its more ignorance than racist. I agree Its laughable!!! At least define the word before you start throwing the word about and accusing everyone being a racist little thug!!!
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Both of those kids are absolutely shocking "actors", even by children in soaps standards, and should be replaced or written out.

I'll probably get called racist now.
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wait...people are bringing race into this? What the heck does race have to do with this?
  • Options
    Michelle JonesMichelle Jones Posts: 5,492
    Forum Member
    Its more ignorance than racist. I agree Its laughable!!! At least define the word before you start throwing the word about and accusing everyone being a racist little thug!!!

Exactly. I can't believe how freely people throw the word racism about. It's actually embarrassing the amount of people who don't seem to have a clue what it even means!
  • Options
    GoingtothebeachGoingtothebeach Posts: 19,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wait...people are bringing race into this? What the heck does race have to do with this?

Exactly.

If it was two white children named Tess and Lil who were called Tesco and Lidl, would we be having this conversation?
  • Options
    fawltytowers93fawltytowers93 Posts: 1,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People.....it was a funny scene, get over it! :D