Options

Death in Paradise - Series 2

Comments

• Options
    Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-04-10/death-in-paradise-fans-deserve-better-than-just-a-reboot-with-kris-marshall

If your interested in reading it... all over twitter, doesnt look like anyone is impressed with the announcement... do you think it's possible that BBC/Ben Miller might just take note of this...
  • Options
    ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,398
    Forum Member
    RFS wrote: »
    Unless of course, murderer-of-the-week (MOTW?) is the one who does in Poole.

Hahah - maybe he will be a new toy-boy love interest for Catherine!

QUOTE oneWell it would make sense for Richard to be the victim, maybe that is how they introduce Marshall, sent over to investigate the death (as Richard is British and a serving officer), and persuaded to stay and replace him at the end?

QUOTE two Catherine has WAY more taste.:D
  • Options
    qwerty21qwerty21 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    I don't think Camille would be able to cope if Richard died :(
  • Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Wench02 wrote: »
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-04-10/death-in-paradise-fans-deserve-better-than-just-a-reboot-with-kris-marshall

If your interested in reading it... all over twitter, doesnt look like anyone is impressed with the announcement... do you think it's possible that BBC/Ben Miller might just take note of this...

Wow - that is quite scathing.... Be interesting to see what Alison Graham says in the actual magazine, when this comes to air as she's also been a fan of the current dynamic.
    QUOTE oneWell it would make sense for Richard to be the victim, maybe that is how they introduce Marshall, sent over to investigate the death (as Richard is British and a serving officer), and persuaded to stay and replace him at the end?

QUOTE two Catherine has WAY more taste.:D

Yep agree (haha with both!)
    qwerty21 wrote: »
    I don't think Camille would be able to cope if Richard died :(
    That's precisely why I think they might go for that option - either really give her character a new place to go, or give Sara Martins an out, if she wants it....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets hope they have a bit more imagination than just bumping him off
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,637
    Forum Member
    It's a murder a week series. How better than to do it that way?
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Ben Miller has to leave and he's definitely not going to come back, then I would actually quite like him to be bumped off, providing it's a great storyline. It's better than just fading away.

I have my doubts about it working without him though, I love Kris Marshall but I love Ben more and he makes the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Highly predicable though
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Highly predicable though

Imo, predictable would be going back to London. Not many shows have the guts to actually kill of main characters, even if they are leaving for good.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they don't continue with the "detective in a suit whatever the weather" nonsense. The joke got a bit thin after a few episodes.

I think the success of this is due as much to the other members of the cast and the location, as it to Ben Miller.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching an episode of Lightfields... If I'm right in guessing Kris Marshall is in it... hmmm... anyway I'm digressing.

IMO I would like to see something different apart from him being killed off, or going back to London. I would like to see something along the lines of the usual murder etc in episode one, then the commissioner coming to tell him that he's been sent on an undercover operation that is likely to go on for a period of time, and that his replacement is arriving from UK next week. Episode 2 could then introduce new copper. Series to go on as normal, however this would give a bit more to the Richard/Camille storyline, as well as showing how Richard has actually enjoyed being in Saint Marie. Finally Richard leaving in episode 7, which would then give us one to see how new man gets on.

This would allow current decent plotlines to be developed further, and a good write out for Richard. We could still have the weekly murder, without focusing on Richard leaving too much.

However I suspect this is fanciful thinking, and we will get Richard bumped off in the first episode, ignoring the excellent writing in the previous two series, with some atrocious scripting (such as in last weeks Jonathon Creek episode) to enable Ben Miller to leave.
  • Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Was Jonathan creek that bad? I totally forgot to record it - not sure if it is still on iPlayer but by the sounds of it, that isn't worth it?

And the above sounds a great compromise ... If only :-(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RFS wrote: »
    Was Jonathan creek that bad? I totally forgot to record it - not sure if it is still on iPlayer but by the sounds of it, that isn't worth it?

And the above sounds a great compromise ... If only :-(

The start of JC was ok... but it went down hill and the ending was ludicrous. Again, I think a bit similar to DiP, it was never the same when Caroline Quentin left, and the scriptwriting went downhill.

I have no doubt that the BBC will do anything like my idea, which would keep everyone happy then. And would also leave the role open for Ben to return should he so wish.

Another way of doing it, or another way of keeping filming in Guadaloupe to a minimum would be to say do an extended episode for an Xmas special.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just watching an episode of Lightfields... If I'm right in guessing Kris Marshall is in it... hmmm... anyway I'm digressing.

IMO I would like to see something different apart from him being killed off, or going back to London. I would like to see something along the lines of the usual murder etc in episode one, then the commissioner coming to tell him that he's been sent on an undercover operation that is likely to go on for a period of time, and that his replacement is arriving from UK next week. Episode 2 could then introduce new copper. Series to go on as normal, however this would give a bit more to the Richard/Camille storyline, as well as showing how Richard has actually enjoyed being in Saint Marie. Finally Richard leaving in episode 7, which would then give us one to see how new man gets on.

This would allow current decent plotlines to be developed further, and a good write out for Richard. We could still have the weekly murder, without focusing on Richard leaving too much.

However I suspect this is fanciful thinking, and we will get Richard bumped off in the first episode, ignoring the excellent writing in the previous two series, with some atrocious scripting (such as in last weeks Jonathon Creek episode) to enable Ben Miller to leave.

How would you have him leave though? It would not make sense for him to go undercover in ep1, no contact with anyone for 6 episodes then suddenly go without saying goodbye to the team or Camille, the only way it would work is if he suddenly died.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I was suggesting that it should carry on as normal with Richard in it for seven episodes...
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do actually wish that they'd just cancelled the show altogether,and left us with the fantasy of Richard and Camille getting together.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,720
    Forum Member
    See my post above.... I highly suspect we will have a couple of episodes with Richard in it, and then some badly written way of him exiting.
    Given that the rest of the series has not been "badly written"*, why would you think they would do so in the future and specifically for this bit of the story? :confused:

(*IMO of course. I have to assume you think it has.)
    nate1970 wrote: »
    I've only watched a couple of eps of DiP, but I feel for anyone who has invested in the show - what a real kick in the face. :(
    Another one with a time-machine I assume?

I'm a fan of the show and I don't feel at all that way. Perhaps I'm just not as obsessed as others seem to be :)

It will certainly change the show. But we will have to wait and see if it's for better, worse or not at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I did post above that maybe they should have checked if the actors wanted to do another series before announcing a third series.

Last ep was that well written that it worked either as the last one ever or lead in to another one
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised to read this. Difficult to imagine the show without Ben Miller.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that the rest of the series has not been "badly written"*, why would you think they would do so in the future and specifically for this bit of the story? :confused:

Read the rest of my posts... nowhere have I said that any previous episodes of DiP have been badly written.

I said that Miller's entrance will probably be badly written...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No I was suggesting that it should carry on as normal with Richard in it for seven episodes...

Ah, sorry, misunderstood, :D thought you meant he goes undercover then the series continued with Marshall's character solving the "murder of the week", would be a good way, but as it says Richard leaves early in series 3, I think maybe Ben Miller agreed to do the first 2 or 3 episodes to tie up his loose ends (so to speak).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, sorry, misunderstood, :D thought you meant he goes undercover then the series continued with Marshall's character solving the "murder of the week", would be a good way, but as it says Richard leaves early in series 3, I think maybe Ben Miller agreed to do the first 2 or 3 episodes to tie up his loose ends (so to speak).

Yes this is how I have read it... hence why I have suggested that Richards exit will be hasty and badly written. I think the whole Richard/Camille thing will be dropped, as they wont have time to develop it, and new guy is just going to be shoved in and we have to lump it.

Looking at the response on twitter, not many happy with it...
  • Options
    Forum Member

(*IMO of course. I have to assume you think it has.)

Another one with a time-machine I assume?

I'm a fan of the show and I don't feel at all that way. Perhaps I'm just not as obsessed as others seem to be :)

It will certainly change the show. But we will have to wait and see if it's for better, worse or not at all.

It is not an obsession, we just don't like the fact that a show we have come to like a lot (and have had some messing about fun with on this thread:D) should be changed in this way, I don't like Marshall as an actor personally.
    Nate was just being nice, there was no need to be rude, but then that is your stock in trade...
    Read the rest of my posts... nowhere have I said that any previous episodes of DiP have been badly written.

I said that Miller's entrance will probably be badly written...

Don't worry wench, Carl finds it hard to post without a snarky comment, he is the reason I stopped posting in a thread on broadcasting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is not an obsession, we just don't like the fact that a show we have come to like a lot (and have had some messing about fun with on this thread:D) should be changed in this way, I don't like Marshall as an actor personally.
    Nate was just being nice, there was no need to be rude, but then that is your stock in trade...

Don't worry wench, Carl finds it hard to post without a snarky comment, he is the reason I stopped posting in a thread on broadcasting.

Yes I agree with this - wouldnt say obsessed... however it's a good show the way it is. I think to change any of the four main characters would detract from the whole thing. The only ones that could perhaps be tampered with are the commissioner and Camille's mother.

As for sarky comments.... "ignore" is often the best option!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching lightfields... Can't see kris Marshall doing the role justice