Options

Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead

Comments

• Options
    Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This just shows what people think of her.....and what she did to this country.....

Just saying...
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People mass buying a camp childish tune usually reserved these days for marking ends of the night at gay discos is really, like, um yeah, socking it to the man!!

you go to many gay discos then?
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you go to many gay discos then?

Clearly not! ;):D
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its interesting to know that during her latter years, she was an essentailly lonely woman. Even one of her conservative stalwarts, the creepy Norman tebbit said that he wasn't around for her before her death, in the commons today.

Where were all those friends/work colleagues that rose/rode on the back of Thatchers broomstick?

Oh margaret, look at the society you helped create! Even your conservative peers were nowhere there for you when you needed them, towards the end!

Thats what you get for setting up a demographic (not society! Remember, theres no such thing as 'society'!), that thinks only about "Whats in it for ME?"

Now they're all queing up to pay they're respects.

Still, Mark and 'Golly-wog' Carol can console themselves with their mothers spoils of war. Particularly the little pied-a-terre in Belgravia.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lizm wrote: »
    What by closing down mines that the coal was so deep down it would have cost a fortune to get it out and probably very hazardous to the miners she probably saved a lot of money on medical expenses by buying it cheaper abroad - I did live through it! Seriously people need to move on...

some mines were not worth it, true, many others though were viable IF instead of subsidies they had investment. communities, jobs, peoples lives could have carried on as they had for hundereds of years. closing the mines had nothing to do with business, it was about smashing the num.
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    What self-important crap.

Everyone living in the UK today is living with Thatcher's legacy, affected by what she did to some extent and therefore entitled to have an opinion on her one way or the other.

Your comment is ludicrous as it actually suggests that she had no long-lasting impact, she only had an impact on people who were adults at that time, which is clearly wrong and you are foolishly undermining your own argument that she was so bad.

Presumably by your twisted logic you would not count sales of the song unless the person downloading it was over a certain age. :rolleyes:

you fall into the trap.... thinking is all so easy to understand.

the point is that there was a controversial issue every other day. many were minor, but had an effect. its not about any one point, its the whole package. to understand what she did, properly, youd have to have been there to experience it, to see how and who was affected. its not something that can easily be taught retrospectively, i suspect many (young) passing comment here simply dont know the bigger picture.

That's an interesting theory. So there was no celeb culture or manufactured music before Thatcher?

I know Thatcher did some dreadful things, but I think blaming her for One Direction and The X-Factor is a bit harsh. :eek:

hardly any...no... it was scourned upon... it was her policies that lead to acts like s/a/w producing cheap throwaway crap. cowell himself is a product of thatcherism, enterprising, money making, (which isnt a bad thing) but he..a non musician with little or no interest in music apart from sales, has got himself into a powerful position.
  • Options
    streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    Its interesting to know that during her latter years, she was an essentailly lonely woman. Even one of her conservative stalwarts, the creepy Norman tebbit said that he wasn't around for her before her death, in the commons today.

Where were all those friends/work colleagues that rose/rode on the back of Thatchers broomstick?

Oh margaret, look at the society you helped create! Even your conservative peers were nowhere there for you when you needed them, towards the end!

Thats what you get for setting up a demographic (not society! Remember, theres no such thing as 'society'!), that thinks only about "Whats in it for ME?"

Now they're all queing up to pay they're respects.

Still, Mark and 'Golly-wog' Carol can console themselves with their mothers spoils of war. Particularly the little pied-a-terre in Belgravia.

Interesting insights Mr M. The hyper-mourning we've seen before after Princess Diana's death. It's based on one emotion...guilt. Diana was a figure of fun to a lot of people before her untimely death. Margaret died alone. Some would say this was fitting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    "Regardless of what Labour may or may not have done, they did not single-mindedly target certain sections of British society then contemptuously attack them (physically, in some instances) without a shred of conscience or compassion. Nor did they introduce a philosophy where personal greed carries greater weight than anything else. No wonder she thought there was no such thing as society."

Point proven, in your first line you brush aside any responsibility for what Labour have done typical. I suggest you dig out some facts about Scargill and the miners and the Unions at the time, or have a think about how Labour have systemically screwed this country into the ground over the last decade, destroying the economy, bloating the public sector, conducting social engineering experiments with immigration, a point admitted by Gordon Brown, But hey that's all ok, but standing upto Unions who couldn't give a toss about their members and fronting up to a dying part of the British economy at the time and having the guts to address it is wrong, Labour bankrupted the country before Margaret Thatcher got into office Fact and Arthur Scargill caused the pit closures fact!
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dekkard wrote: »
    "Regardless of what Labour may or may not have done, they did not single-mindedly target certain sections of British society then contemptuously attack them (physically, in some instances) without a shred of conscience or compassion. Nor did they introduce a philosophy where personal greed carries greater weight than anything else. No wonder she thought there was no such thing as society."

Point proven, in your first line you brush aside any responsibility for what Labour have done typical. I suggest you dig out some facts about Scargill and the miners and the Unions at the time, or have a think about how Labour have systemically screwed this country into the ground over the last decade, destroying the economy, bloating the public sector, conducting social engineering experiments with immigration, a point admitted by Gordon Brown, But hey that's all ok, but standing upto Unions who couldn't give a toss about their members and fronting up to a dying part of the British economy at the time and having the guts to address it is wrong, Labour bankrupted the country before Margaret Thatcher got into office Fact and Arthur Scargill caused the pit closures fact!

they're not facts just theories like anyones.
    It'a myth that Labour destroyed the economy, the seeds of the current recession were sown a long time ago when banks were turned into profit driven capitalist investors (starting in the 1980's), allied to the personal greed culture of individuals who were led to believe a mortgage at any cost would be their salvation. It was doomed to fail whoever had been in power as proved by the fact it was worldwide emanating initially from the US.
    Mass immigration also harks back to the establishment of the free market - it was only a matter of time before free exchange of labour was used in the same way as goods. The thinking behind that is also capitalist, it keeps the cost of labour to a minimum for employers and can be continually undercut by another influx. If you're the sort of person who'd like that reversed and think the tories are going to do that you're in for a shock. And the reason there's no power to fight low wages is cos there are no unions to speak up for the worker.

nothing is ever black and white so it's probably wiser not to stick 'fact' at the end of sentences:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As my name is joe quite rightly says, using the word 'fact' repeatedly does not make what you say fact at all. It's just your opinion. Which you are, of course, entitled to. But it's just one interpretation of events.

And why are Thatcher supporters pointing the finger at Labour in a thread where we are talking about public reaction to her legacy? We're not talking about the death of Blair, Brown or any other politician, for that matter. We're talking about what Thatcher did - and I notice that while you try and justify what happened to British industry, you can't defend how she did it (see barbeler's excellent post). And talking about Labour wasting public money is rather ironic given that Thatcher was the instigator of so many unnecessary quangos, sold 'the family silver' and her funeral is costing in the region of £10m, most of which will be paid by the public.
  • Options
    gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WelshNige wrote: »
    I must admit I'm finding all these "holier than thou" attitudes just as distasteful as many find those celebrating Thatchers death.

People seem very quick to judge others and take the moral high ground, whilst knowing nothing of the individual reasons why they think the way they do.

People are entitled to think what they like but to bring vitriol down on to the head of someone after their death in such a way is disgusting,that is why they are ignorant not because of their views.
    Neither am I holier than thou just a human being .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are entitled to think what they like but to bring vitriol down on to the head of someone after their death in such a way is disgusting,that is why they are ignorant not because of their views.
    Neither am I holier than thou just a human being .

Why does that make people 'ignorant'? :confused: I think you just mean you don't like the way some people are behaving.

That vitriol hasn't just suddenly popped up. It's been there for years.

Sorry if you find that disgusting. But, from where I'm sat, it's a lot less disgusting than some of the things Thatcher did, which may have benefitted some, but damaged many others, irrepairably in some cases.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Theories Theories, and personal view points, we can sit on here forever arguing over who is right and who is wrong and people trying to prove how intellectually superior they are with their own THEORIES!!!, all I will say is look up what Jon Lydon said a man held in high regard by many of the Thatcher haters, respectful and intelligent comments. Unlike so many of the sheep herd and bandwagon jumpers.
  • Options
    Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So 'Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead' has made it into the top 10 of the official charts. Well I for one am outraged that all these lazy left wing benefit cheats are spending our tax money on Mp3's and Compact Discs instead of beer and cigarettes.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,870
    Forum Member
    I wasn't going to say anything on this topic but surely this more than anything shows how divisive she was, personally she did a lot more wrong than right. If people want to protest about her reign and the deep set hatred (which in a lot of cases is thoroughly warranted) by buying an inconsequential childrens jingle then frankly she's got off lightly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just for you Servalan, if you want to throw Quango's into the mix 77% of all Quangos are run by active Labour supporters, Gordon Brown engineered a scam where civil servants were paid by the government to work for Trade Unions at a cost to the Tax payer of £86 million pounds then the Unions donate it back to Labour. But hey we will keep all that under the carpet until the right time comes when we can attack a Labour Leader's legacy.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theories Theories, and personal view points, we can sit on here forever arguing over who is right and who is wrong and people trying to prove how intellectually superior they are with their own THEORIES!!!, all I will say is look up what Jon Lydon said a man held in high regard by many of the Thatcher haters, respectful and intelligent comments. Unlike so many of the sheep herd and bandwagon jumpers.

And which 'sheep herd and bandwagon jumpers' would that be? The ones trying to deify Thatcher and scold anyone who won't as being stupid?

She treated many people in this country with scorn and contempt and dispayed no conscience or compassion. That's not something that will be easily forgotten ... much as you obviously might like it to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just for you Servalan, if you want to throw Quango's into the mix 77% of all Quangos are run by active Labour supporters, Gordon Brown engineered a scam where civil servants were paid by the government to work for Trade Unions at a cost to the Tax payer of £86 million pounds then the Unions donate it back to Labour. But hey we will keep all that under the carpet until the right time comes when we can attack a Labour Leader's legacy.:rolleyes:

Indeed, feel free to talk about it then. Or in the Politics forum. But I don't see how it's relevant to this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "But I don't see how it's relevant to this thread." Much like the majority of your comments are not relevant to this thread Servalan funny that.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "But I don't see how it's relevant to this thread." Much like the majority of your comments are not relevant to this thread Servalan funny that.:rolleyes:

Sorry - I don't understand.

This thread is about 'Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead' being bought by the public in response to Thatcher's death, and the reasons for that - why people should feel so strongly, and FMs' reactions to that.

I don't believe I've strayed away from that. If you feel otherwise, that's up to you. But I genuinely don't follow how or why what Labour governments may or may not have done is pertinent to 'Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead'.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,794
    Forum Member
    On iTunes..
    - Ding Dong is still #1.
    - The #2 is selling 80% of what 'Ding Dong' is selling
    - The #3 is selling 60% of what 'Ding Dong' is selling
    Details: http://kworb.net/popuk/

If it keeps increasing its lead like it has been, I fear it could challenge for the official #1 on Sunday.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,291
    Forum Member
    Neonoptic wrote: »
    Good grief. The fact people are purchasing this track in light of a persons death - to CELEBRATE someone's death, is utterly sickening. To all those who have purchased the track, or to those who have not but support the campaign...you are low, utterly low. It's at times like this I feel totally separated from parts of society and know I am above it all, that I'm a 'better' person. I have no words!

:rolleyes: Must be a lovely view from up there on your pedestal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your right Servalan, lets get back on topic, people buying a record called "Ding Dong The Witch is Dead" is a really mature intelligent approach to protesting the death of a former prime minster who divided a nation. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your right Servalan, lets get back on topic, people buying a record called "Ding Dong The Witch is Dead" is a really mature intelligent approach to protesting the death of a former prime minster who divided a nation. :rolleyes:

What do you want people to do? Riot?

As Cestrian18 rightly says, if people downloading a track is all that happens, it's quite a subdued reaction.
  • Options
    Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neonoptic wrote: »
    Good grief. The fact people are purchasing this track in light of a persons death - to CELEBRATE someone's death, is utterly sickening. To all those who have purchased the track, or to those who have not but support the campaign...you are low, utterly low. It's at times like this I feel totally separated from parts of society and know I am above it all, that I'm a 'better' person. I have no words!

I agree with you. It's people like that that make you ashamed to be English.
    I beggars belief that these people are supposed to be adults.
  • Options
    Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    What do you want people to do? Riot?

As Cestrian18 rightly says, if people downloading a track is all that happens, it's quite a subdued reaction.

But why do they need to do anything? An elderley woman has died. Her family are without a mother and grandmother now.
    There is no need for any protests or nastiness at all. Just be adult about it and let it pass instead of being immature and pathetic..
    If this is the mentality of the people of England then it's no wonder the country is in a mess.