Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 25)

Comments

• Options
    radio ladyradio lady Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've found traditional, old media seem to have a strange relationship to the new media online upstart. Old media is always full of faux-rage over online bullying and trolling. Yet, many old media proponents do exactly the same all the time, they just hide it behind different terminology: 'devil's advocate' 'going for sales' and so on. If you want spite, smear campaigns, and bullying, you can't beat old media like Daily Mail.

As for Dale, it seems that if you get the results you want, then online bullying campaigns are OK.

I agree.
    The only difference between the old and the new is that online bullying is instantaneous and therefore has more impact.
    But the end result is just as unpleasant.
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    From the Sony Radio Academy Awards News:

The Sony Golden Headphones Award is a new listeners’ choice award in which the listening public can vote for their favourite presenters at www.sonygoldenheadphones.com. Voting is open from 15th April to 10th May, with the winner announced at the Sony Radio Academy Awards on 13th May.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found traditional, old media seem to have a strange relationship to the new media online upstart. Old media is always full of faux-rage over online bullying and trolling. Yet, many old media proponents do exactly the same all the time, they just hide it behind different terminology: 'devil's advocate' 'going for sales' and so on. If you want spite, smear campaigns, and bullying, you can't beat old media like Daily Mail.

As for Dale, it seems that if you get the results you want, then online bullying campaigns are OK.

NF up for an award...
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Potkettle wrote: »
    Perhaps he was just giving his take on what he reads on here at times and not trying to influence or make friends. I think it's interesting to read his posts, straight from the horse's mouth..

Thats fair enough but to insult the listeners that post on here is something else.:)
  • Options
    dsnikdsnik Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Any tips on listening to LBC on Android.

My phone has an FM radio but the office has treated windows that prevent FM reception.

The link on the website needs Flash, and there are some very poor reviews of the latest version of the LBC app on Google Play.

Any other options?
  • Options
    HappyTreeHappyTree Posts: 4,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't use Android but I'm sure you can find a generic internet radio stream player in their app store. Then try the links here until you get one that works ok. I did that on my iPod before I got the LBC app and it worked fine. I haven't upgraded to the new app as the one I have works fine.
  • Options
    coulsdon59coulsdon59 Posts: 2,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dsnik wrote: »

My phone has an FM radio but the office has treated windows that prevent FM reception.

The link on the website needs Flash, and there are some very poor reviews of the latest version of the LBC app on Google Play.

Any other options?

I use Tune In Radio - the Android App (free version) and the internet stream when I'm on my PC. I started using it because I was having problems listening from the LBC website, it would cut out every other word. Ive not had a problem with this one so far!
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dsnik wrote: »

Any other options?

I use the LBC app and it works pretty well, failing that Tune In Radio is the best bet.
  • Options
    dsnikdsnik Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the advice
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    tommy2tee wrote: »
    And just to finish off when will the management at LBC get rid of motormouth JHB? Surely if they compare her with Aasmah Mir they must see the difference in quality.
    Ian is great. I hope he gets a regular weekday slot on LBC preferably to replace James O Brien who I must admit I cant listen to for longer than 10 minutes.

Hmmmm - all very quiet on these comments to get rid of presenters. Is it only me that gets told off for wanting to see the back of someone? ;)
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Laugh out loud call with Nick Abbot and a woman defending N Korea. Full on Pantomime - Excuse meeeeeeeeee!
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    From the Sony Radio Academy Awards News:

The Sony Golden Headphones Award is a new listeners’ choice award in which the listening public can vote for their favourite presenters at www.sonygoldenheadphones.com. Voting is open from 15th April to 10th May, with the winner announced at the Sony Radio Academy Awards on 13th May.

So who would you vote for? An absolutely brilliant (yet to be 'discovered') working on a local station broadcasting to the Orkney Islands, or an 'okay' presenter but is on a national radio station? Who is likely to get the more votes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So who would you vote for? An absolutely brilliant (yet to be 'discovered') working on a local station broadcasting to the Orkney Islands, or an 'okay' presenter but is on a national radio station? Who is likely to get the more votes?

My vote goes to Nick Abbot without a shadow of a doubt although an honourable mention to Sadie Nine on BBC Essex. who are you voting for?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My vote goes to Nick Abbot without a shadow of a doubt although an honourable mention to Sadie Nine on BBC Essex. who are you voting for?

One of my colleagues on Hospital Radio !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of my colleagues on Hospital Radio !

Good for you!
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed.

I also like Ian Payne.

I'd like to see him get a full-time gig on LBC.

Yes I agree too that Ian Payne has been a refreshing change from James O'Brien.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for you!

That will give him 3 votes, one from myself and my wife, and one from his wife!!

I wonder if Tony Blackburn or Chris Evans will get as many :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That will give him 3 votes, one from myself and my wife, and one from his wife!!

I wonder if Tony Blackburn or Chris Evans will get as many :D

You are a big fan of Tony aren't you? I never listen to him. Is he on a DAB station?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are a big fan of Tony aren't you? I never listen to him. Is he on a DAB station?

Yes, BBC London on Sunday lunchtimes. Radio 2 Saturday lunchtimes. He goes to radio studios for lunch !

If you can receive KMFM in Kent he is there Sunday mid-afternoon (pre-recorded).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, BBC London on Sunday lunchtimes. Radio 2 Saturday lunchtimes. He goes to radio studios for lunch !

If you can receive KMFM in Kent he is there Sunday mid-afternoon (pre-recorded).

Does he still have the electronic dog?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does he still have the electronic dog?

Poor 'Arnold' went to the great dog basket in the sky some years ago !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you know TB is a great fan of Steve Allen? He considers that he is wasted at the time slot he has.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Poor 'Arnold' went to the great dog basket in the sky some years ago !

:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you know TB is a great fan of Steve Allen? He considers that he is wasted at the time slot he has.

I think giving Steve a weekend lot would refresh his show. I think you mentioned TB was a fan before.
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Hmmmm - all very quiet on these comments to get rid of presenters. Is it only me that gets told off for wanting to see the back of someone? ;)

Not at all, have you never seen the amusing backlash that I receive when I go on one of my rants about AntHony Davis? I want to see the back of him and no mistake but I don't want him sacked, just moved to a time when I don't have to have my ears abused.
This discussion has been closed.