Options

Radio Sports Commentators and Reporters 2012/13 (non-football)

Comments

• Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thursday 4th April - BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra

5 Live Baseball with Nat Coombs

Baseball: American League
    Detroit Tigers @ Minnesota Twins - Cory Provus and Dan Gladden (commentary provided by KTWN-FM 96.3 - "the Treasure Island Radio Network")

No Josh Chetwynd tonight, so Nat has been paired between innings by a number of different over-the-phone guests, including Colin Murray (who has produced a documentary on the New York Yankees for next Wednesday's 5 Live Sport), Jonah Keri, David Lengel, Paul Swydan and Stoke City FC goalkeeper Asmir Begovic, who it turns out is a regular listener and a big Yankees fan.

In other radio baseball news, on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning I was listening to The NBA on ESPN Radio and at the conclusion of their coverage of the Miami Heat @ New York Knicks game - usual Baseball Tonight presenter Marc Kestecher was commentating with Dr. Jack Ramsey, with Kevin Winter presenting from the studio - I was pleasantly surprised to hear them crossing live to the top of the ninth inning in Yu Darvish's near-perfect game in the Houston Astros @ Texas Rangers MLB matchup, with commentary coming from Eric Nadel of the Rangers Radio Network. I'm aware of this kind of thing happening in television (ESPN did it a fair bit during the Mark McGwire/Sammy Sosa home run chase in 1998 and Barry Bonds' home run record attempt in 2007), but didn't expect to hear the equivalent on the radio. Perhaps they were able to do so in this instance as the Rangers' flagship radio station is an ESPN Radio affiliate. Good to hear it anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    AR1983 wrote: »
    Triple M network now do NRL commentaries also. ABC cover all games whilst commercial 2GB and MMM share the eight games over a weekend, generally 4 a piece.

I was listening to ABC this morning and they were doing what appeared to be a triple-header of Aussie Rules commentaries. They mentioned at the end of the first game (or could have been 2nd) that listeners in Western Australia were splitting to join coverage of the Basketball Finals, but I couldn't work out how to find that coverage anywhere on Tune-In app. Do you know if you can pick up the regional variations of ABC anyhow?

I was listening to Radio Sport NZ recently and was impressed to hear live full commentary of a domestic netball match - not sure if they do them all, or just because the season is almost over.
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Grand National on 5 Live - April 6 2013

Mark Pougatch presenting live from Aintree

Commentators: Malcolm Tomlinson, Matt Jones, Gary O'Brien and John Hunt
  • Options
    4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Leicester (& BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra)

Presented by Charles Dagnall from the Stade Felix Mayol

Heineken Cup - Quarter Final
    Toulon v Leicester Tigers - Bleddyn Jones and Steve Johnson (16:30 commentary)
    Harelquins v Munster - Russell Hargreaves
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Wednesday 3rd April

BBC WM DAB and BBC Coventry and Warwickshire FM

Elite League Speedway
    Birmingham Brummies v Coventry bees - Mike Taylor and Wayne Roberts
    Richard Wilford in the Pits

Monday 8th April

BBC WM DAB

Elite League Speedway
    Wolverhampton Wolves v Poole Pirates - Richard Wilford and Mark Regan who was in the Pit Lane

Wednesday 10th April

Elite League Speedway
    Birmingham Brummies v Swindon Robins - Dave Godarad and Mark Regan in the Pit Lane ( Does anyone know who Dave is ?)

Wednesday 10th April to Saturday 13th April

Lv County Championship Division One Day 1 to 3

BBC WM, BBC Coventry and Warwickshire and BBC Radio 5 Live Sports extra
    Adam Bridge, Phil Britt and Charles Collins: Warwickshire v Derbyshire

BBC Radio London and BBC Radio Nottingham
    Kevin Hand and Dave Bracegirdle: Nottingham v Middlesex

Lv County Championship Division Two Day 1 to 3

BBC Radio Lancashire and BBC Hereford and Worcester
    Dave Braddley and Scott Read: Lancashire v Worcestershire
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great work in gathering all of those details from BBC WM and other local radio stations Connor. It is much appreciated.

From having Googled his name, I believe Dave Goddard does some of the course commentaries for the four Midlands speedway teams, which are used on club DVDs. He was also Premier Sports' commentator on their coverage Sweden's Elitserien speedway last year (random fact: Goddard succeeded Dave McIntyre in this role, who is a football and rugby union commentator on Irish national radio station Newstalk as well as being Premier's Swedish speedway commentator in 2011). He also reports on the Midland speedway teams for local newspapers including the Express & Star, although talkSPORT football reporters Nigel Pearson and Dave Rowe, the former being the chairman of the Dudley Heathens and thus no stranger to WM's coverage, seem to be a bit more prominent than him in this area.
  • Options
    LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,569
    Forum Member
    I echo the thanks to connor the judg for his work on the cricket commentaries. I was disappointed that I cannot pick up the commentaries on internet radio so relying directly on my computer instead. I shall try to fill in additional commentary teams over the next couple of days.

Hampshire v Leicestershire Kevan James (H) and Jon Sinclair (L) tbc and Alan Mullaley (L)

It's a good day as I received my Wisden and Playfair Cricket Annual today. I have all the Playfair annuals (in various states) since they started in 1948.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yorkshire v Sussex Dave Callaghan (Radio Leeds) and Jon Howick (BBC Radio Sussex) - currently also on Sports Extra due to rain at Edgbaston.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Durham v Somerset Martin Emmerson (BBC Newcastle) and Anthony surname tbc (BBC Bristol/Somerset) with Michael Wood (scorer)
    Glamorgan v Northants Edward Bevan (BBC Wales) and Chris Egerton (BBC Northants)
  • Options
    4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    IanFergus wrote: »
    I echo the thanks to connor the judg for his work on the cricket commentaries. I was disappointed that I cannot pick up the commentaries on internet radio so relying directly on my computer instead. I shall try to fill in additional commentary teams over the next couple of days.

Hampshire v Leicestershire Kevan James (H) and Jon Sinclair (L) tbc and Alan Mullaley (L)

It's a good day as I received my Wisden and Playfair Cricket Annual today. I have all the Playfair annuals (in various states) since they started in 1948.

It's John Shaw - rather than John Sinclair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thursday 11th April - BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra

5 Live Baseball with Nat Coombs and Josh Chetwynd

Baseball: American League
    Toronto Blue Jays @ Detroit Tigers - Dan Dickerson and Jim Price (commentary provided by Talk Radio 1270AM WXYT - "The Detroit Tigers Radio Network")

Coverage started at 7pm this evening, rather than the originally scheduled 6pm start time, with them joining the game in the top of the third inning. There has been a bit of a u-turn in 5 Live Baseball's plans this evening: the Blue Jays @ Tigers game had been slated to start just past 6pm our time but, after a long rain delay at Comerica Park yesterday, more of the same had been expected today meaning 5LSE took the decision to change their game to the San Francisco Giants @ Chicago Cubs match starting an hour later. However, similar weather issues have held up the game at Wrigley Field, so they've opted to go with their original game instead (at least for the time being).

Switching on at 6pm, I was informed of their initial change by Kevin Howells, who is at Edgbaston fronting 5LSE's coverage of Warwickshire v Derbyshire in the County Championship (and is presumably contributing to their commentary as well as updating Radio 5 Live). With the rain falling in Birmingham today, 5LSE opted to take commentary on Yorkshire v Sussex as mentioned by Ian above.
  • Options
    kentkiwikentkiwi Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    IanFergus wrote: »
    Durham v Somerset Martin Emmerson (BBC Newcastle) and Anthony surname tbc (BBC Bristol/Somerset) with Michael Wood (scorer)
    Glamorgan v Northants Edward Bevan (BBC Wales) and Chris Egerton (BBC Northants)

It is Anthony Gibson. In the late 80s/early 90s he was quite often heard on Sport on Two (as it would have been then) on county games. He is the son of former TMS (1962-75) commentator and Times cricket writer Alan Gibson, a brilliant commentator whose career on TMS was curtailed when he turned up drunk once too often. Anthony Gibson put together a collection of his father's wonderfully idiosyncratic county reports a couple of years ago "Of Didcot and the Demon".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Essex have a couple of reporters covering the home match against Gloucestershire. So far I have heard Paul Newton and Nick Gledhill. Bob Hunt is there for BBC Radio Gloucester.

I discounted Anthony Gibson (who used to report on West country football games) as he sounded too young.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIA World Endurance Championship (and FIA European F3 Championship and European Le Mans Series) - Silverstone

Radio Le Mans (also being carried by Radio Silverstone)
    Commentators - John Hindhaugh, Jonny Palmer & Paul Truswell (with guest spots from Graham Goodwin and Martin Haven for one session each yesterday).
    Pit Reporters - Nick Daman & Bruce Jones
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Radio Sports New Zealand
    R/U: Auckland Blues v Wellington Hurricanes (Eden Park, Auckland, 1935NZ, 0835UK) Nigel Yalden, Ed Strawn and P J Montgomery (commentary)
    Friday - R/U: Highlanders v ACT Brumbies (Dunedin, 1935NZ, 0835UK) Forsyth Barr, Dominic George and Roy Hawker (commentary)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ABC Radio Grandstand
    R/L: Newcastle Knights v Penrith Panthers (Hunter Stadium, Newcastle, 1735local, 0835UK) Craig Hamilton, Matt Rondle? and Silas Moss (commentary)
    R/L: Canberra Raiders v New Zealand Warriors (Canberra Stadium, 1935local, 1035UK) David Packwood, Alan Tongue and Angel Morina? (local and Radio Sport New Zealand commentary)
    R/L: South Sydney Rabbitohs v Melbourne Storm (ANZ Stadium, Sydney, 1935local, 1035UK) Dave Morrow, Warren Ryan and ? (commentary)

Radio 2GB, Sydney - R/L
    Knights v Panthers Andrew Moore, Chris Warren and Mark Riddell (commentary)
    Rabbitohs v Storm Joel Caine and Mark Levy (commentary)
    Raiders v Warriors Don Moseley
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Correction to Friday's details re-Highlanders v Brumbies. Forsyth Barr was in fact the stadium, not the commentator.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Radio 2GB, Sydney
    R/L: Manly Sea Eagles v Cronulla Sharks (Brookvale Oval, 2pm local) Andrew Moore, Joel Caine and Steve Roach (commentary)
    R/L: West Tigers v St George Dragons/Illawara (Sydney Cricket Ground, 3pm local) Don Moseley
  • Options
    shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Golf - US Masters - 5 Live

Presented by Mark Chapman.

Commentators - Iain Carter, Alistair Bruce-Ball and John Murray with Jay Townsend and Andrew Magee.
  • Options
    Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good team - no Evans thank God!
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    FIA World Endurance Championship (and FIA European F3 Championship and European Le Mans Series) - Silverstone

Radio Le Mans (also being carried by Radio Silverstone)
    Commentators - John Hindhaugh, Jonny Palmer & Paul Truswell (with guest spots from Graham Goodwin and Martin Haven for one session each yesterday).
    Pit Reporters - Nick Daman & Bruce Jones

Is Jonny Palmer the same one that works for BBC Wm?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Is Jonny Palmer the same one that works for BBC Wm?

I believe it is. I asked the same question to ariusuk when he posted Radio Silverstone information that included Jonny Palmer's name on here in the past and he confirmed it was the same JP we know from BBC WM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been listening back to talkSPORT's weekly rugby union show Full Contact, where host Andrew McKenna announced two more people who will be involved in their coverage of the British & Irish Lions tour to Australia this summer: Shane Williams and Sean Holley.

Shane Williams is of course Wales' all-time record try scorer and was a member of the Lions Test team during the 2005 and 2009 tours to New Zealand and South Africa respectively. These days he plays his club rugby in Japan for the Mitsubishi Dynaboars, so won't have as far to travel as everyone else, and was involved in BBC TV's coverage of the Six Nations as a pundit and co-commentator.

I'm delighted about the signing of Sean Holley. He's perhaps not that big a name outside of Wales, but for my money he is one of the best analysts on not just rugby union but on any sport on UK television. He played for Maesteg, Aberavon and Rugby Lions but is much better known for his coaching, having been involved in four Celtic/Magners League/Pro12 championship victories for the Ospreys, two as head coach. These days he contributes his very detailed "The Breakdown" analysis on BBC Two Wales' Scrum V, both from the studio on their Sunday magazine/highlights shows and from his analysis truck during Friday night live games. He is also one of the presenters of the Sony Radio Award nominated Rugby Nation programme, which is a networked show on various local commercial radio stations in South and West Wales. He is an inspired choice, well done talkSPORT. :)

In other news, John Taylor - talkSPORT's commentator for the 2001 and 2005 British & Irish Lions tours and their lead commentator at the 2011 Rugby World Cup - is widely reported to have stepped down from his role as the vice-chairman of relegated Premiership club London Welsh (although this hasn't been confirmed by the club). Perhaps he'll be next to be confirmed to be a part of talkSPORT's Lions coverage?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC Cricket Commentaries - Round 2
    Middlesex v Derbyshire Kevin Hand, David Townsend and Charles Collins (BBC London and BBC Radio Derby)
    Surrey v Somerset Mark Church, Johnny Barren and Bob Hunt (Sports Extra - host Kevin Howells, BBC London and BBC Radio Bristol/Somerset)
    Warwickshire v Durham Martin Emmerson plus others as yet identified
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thursday 18th April - BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra

5 Live Baseball with Nat Coombs and Josh Chetwynd

Baseball: National League
    San Francisco Giants @ Milwaukee Brewers - Bob Uecker and Joe Block (commentary provided by Newsradio AM 620 WTMJ - "The Brewers Radio Network")

For the record, 5LSE did cover the Blue Jays @ Tigers game until its conclusion once they had joined it last Thursday. Next Thursday's live game will be the Los Angeles Dodgers @ New York Mets in the usual 6pm timeslot.