Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    And they'll skip forward to the wedding. We won't see a proposal. We won't see any discussion of how this difficult couple will work things out. It will be assumed that the events at the castle were followed by a proposal, ignoring the fact that I WANT TO SEE IT! You see, part of the BP scheme of things is to drive me insane.

I definetely don't think we'll see any discussions about how the partnership might work. That would be a first, and also a completely different show, IMO. To be honest, what would our beloved series be if they suddenly start to act sensibly?
    First, I thought they might build up to the wedding during the first episode and then have the ceremony in the second and see the stress and pleasures of the newly-weds in the following six episodes.
    However, I can also see them starting immediately with the wedding, as practically the first scene.
    My expectation/fear is that Louisa takes Martin by his word that he will do practically everything for her and push him beyond his limits. He had begged for a last chance and I fear Louisa will set the terms for that.
    I guess the climax will be that DM will be pushed beyond his limits and will signal that he won't go any further and rather leave. Then, it'll be up to Louisa what she really wants.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is one thing I have been anxious about-smelling him. I have really vivid scent memories. Why yes, I am a complete lunatic, thank you for asking. :p:o

Okay, it's up to those who have met or meet him to reveal whether it's a natural scent or a fragrance he wears. Remember, the Doc is hyper-sensitive to smell. I wonder if this is another MC factoid that's been written in to the show. BTW, someone asked last year what The Suit smelled like. Fortunately/unfortunately it had been cleaned. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    lemster wrote: »
    It's like I have a twin.
    Ditto.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmptrader wrote: »
    How pathetic. Beautiful Saturday, 80 degrees, day off and plenty of things to do yet I sit indoors with my tablet hoping for news.:eek::eek:

I dare not tell anyone I know. Except you guys. Obsessed? Nah

It's 2:45 am here and I'm on my mobile looking at digital spy, Facebook and google for the latest on DM.
    I know how you feel. :)
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, it's up to those who have met or meet him to reveal whether it's a natural scent or a fragrance he wears. Remember, the Doc is hyper-sensitive to smell. I wonder if this is another MC factoid that's been written in to the show. BTW, someone asked last year what The Suit smelled like. Fortunately/unfortunately it had been cleaned. :)

the delightful smell is all the more impressive given the amount of time he spends in the barn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    I definetely don't think we'll see any discussions about how the partnership might work. That would be a first, and also a completely different show, IMO. To be honest, what would our beloved series be if they suddenly start to act sensibly?
    First, I thought they might build up to the wedding during the first episode and then have the ceremony in the second and see the stress and pleasures of the newly-weds in the following six episodes.
    However, I can also see them starting immediately with the wedding, as practically the first scene.
    My expectation/fear is that Louisa takes Martin by his word that he will do practically everything for her and push him beyond his limits. He had begged for a last chance and I fear Louisa will set the terms for that.
    I guess the climax will be that DM will be pushed beyond his limits and will signal that he won't go any further and rather leave. Then, it'll be up to Louisa what she really wants.

Troubling scenario but it would be a fresh twist, which is what they strive for. And it fits I think with what Adelie has been predicting -- that it's up to Louisa whether their partnership succeeds or not. Although I'm not sure they want to go down the "will they-won't they" road again. But who knows -- they won't make it easy on their fans, if past form is any prediction.
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    the delightful smell is all the more impressive given the amount of time he spends in the barn.

This discussion reminds of something he said in this interview.:D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62587488@N02/6262047609/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Btw, I noticed that Ian McNiece was wearing a white rose in his lapel like Martin, so he seems to be a member of the wedding party. I wonder if he gave away the bride. No mention on facebook of Roger Fenn making an appearance.

I think Bert giving away the bride is more realistic than him being best man. Is it possible in the UK not to have a best man? I know if you marry in Germany in a church, you have to have a best man.

If they combine the christening and the wedding, I suppose the godparents would also act as best man/bride's maid. What do you think?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They aren't going to have much privacy in either place and I would presume that Martin would close the surgery for the day after coming back from getting JH back.

DM closing the surgery for a whole day? No way! Do we know on what day of the week JH was kidnapped? If they were lucky, they'll have the weekend.
    But I also guess both of them would need some comfort. Besides, if Louisa isn't made of stone (which I do not believe), her heart must have warmed for him enough to ignite the fireworks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The mind boggles, though, at the idea DM setting up the crib for her at her cottage. Maybe Al? or maybe she after all slept with the baby in her bed?

Louisa has grown up in the safe surrounding of a small village. As far as I understood, the village took her under their wings because of the horrid parents. So she would have had the confidence that there would be someone around to lend a hand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Bert giving away the bride is more realistic than him being best man. Is it possible in the UK not to have a best man? I know if you marry in Germany in a church, you have to have a best man.

If they combine the christening and the wedding, I suppose the godparents would also act as best man/bride's maid. What do you think?

I think we need to find out how the babies that were spotted during filming were dressed. If in a traditional long white christening gown, then we have our answer as to whether the ceremonies were combined. I think it would be a little strange to have a full white traditional wedding plus a baby christening, but who knows. I was one who always thought the wedding and christening would be combined but I also mistakenly thought it would be a small, rather informal ceremony.

I think Bert was "father of the bride." I think you have to have two witnesses for a wedding, but anybody could do that I think, not necessarily a member of the wedding party.

Who would be Louisa's attendant, I wonder?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just watched my first 2 episodes of Regi Perrin. Hilarious!

I absolutely loved the first series, but I'm also not familiar with the original one with Leonard Rossiter.
    However, I thought the second series lost a lot of its charm. The situations seemed a bit too far-fetched for my taste.
    However, I cannot take a train anymore without thinking of Reggie Perrin. The observations are so accurate (unfortunately), so I find myself smiling at all the people using their laptops.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ALL weddings are the women's idea. I have not met one hetrosexual man yet who is really into wedding planning-mantyhose wearing metrosexuals maybe but I don't know any of them. A man like Martin Ellingham would certainly not be the type to spend hours worrying about what color the flowers are, choosing wedding cake flavors and canape's, trying to decide which tux would be the perfect one or pouring over wedding invitation designs for hours.

I agree. Going back to the first wedding, the non-wedding, Louisa said she all she wanted was a simple wedding and simple reception. What's the opinion on whether this go at it ended up being a bit less simple? Certainly her floor-length dress is more formal. And a reception at the Castle Hotel is much, much more formal and elaborate than quiche on the patio at Large Restaurant.

But is it simply their wanting to do some things somewhat differently than the first time, considering how it turned out? Obviously it makes sense that they learned their lesson about Bert & Al handling the reception. Nothing says romance like a ??-foot-high circus tent (can't remember the dimensions). And all along I figured Louisa would be in a different dress due to bad memories associated with the first, but this dress is very different (and much prettier, I think), much more formal. OR did Louisa decide she wanted to go past "simple" this time? Just wondering what everyone thinks. Still no coach and horses and doves, though, apparently. :D

Here's my second wedding-related question. How soon does this wedding take place after the events at the castle? We know from the casting call for James Henry that very little time will have gone by, but can we assume the wedding happened very quickly, like within a couple of weeks?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we need to find out how the babies that were spotted during filming were dressed. If in a traditional long white christening gown, then we have our answer as to whether the ceremonies were combined. I think it would be a little strange to have a full white traditional wedding plus a baby christening, but who knows. I was one who always thought the wedding and christening would be combined but I also mistakenly thought it would be a small, rather informal ceremony.

I think Bert was "father of the bride." I think you have to have two witnesses for a wedding, but anybody could do that I think, not necessarily a member of the wedding party.

Who would be Louisa's attendant, I wonder?

Good point about how the babies were dressed. Also, I know the person who posted the info at facebook identified Aunt Ruth, Bert, Al, Penhale, Morwenna, and the drunken vicar, but would she have even thought to mention Chris Parsons if he had been there? If he was there, that might clear up the best man question.

Nowhere is it essential to have a best man and maid of honor and in the first attempt Louisa told Pauline she didn't even want "a bridesmaid" but her old friend insisted on it (and obviously she later relented on bringing Pauline in too). So it's possible that there aren't any attendants this time.

OR they could do the switcharoo thing that I saw done once. The best man was actually the person closest to the bride (in this case, Bert) and the maid of honor was the person closest to the groom (which would mean Aunt Ruth). This would mean no one walked Louisa down the aisle and they didn't do the old "who giveth" routine (I've seen this done too).

But my first thought was Bert giving Louisa away, so I guess I should stick with that. I just can't wait to find out!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    This discussion reminds of something he said in this interview.:D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62587488@N02/6262047609/

Can't read it on my mobile - what did he say?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    my word, he looks almost skinny. He's carrying that same leather bag that we saw in the photo at the Camelot hotel.

I'm in the camp of those who think he is slimming down a bit too much.
    Must be a real ordeal for someone, who seems to be on the chubby side naturally, to slim down that much.
    Is it me, or is he going slimmer each series?
    I hope if there's a series 7 we'll be able to see him at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About the christening I have mixed feelings. Actually, I don't really think we will get two "church events" within the series, however especially after seeing the spoilers from the filming, I don't think they would squeeze the christening into all that. So normally I would say, they would two different events, but from the filming point I'd say they combine it.
    Re the last name, I think Martin will go a long way to meet Louisa's needs (and it very much looks as if it'll turn out to be Louisa's idea of a wedding rather than his), but I think both are too oldfashioned in their views to have different surnames, or even worse, letting him change his name.

I don't know what they'll do about that christening that they kept yacking about in S5. Maybe just do it sometime
    between the castle events and the wedding and we don't see it?

Surnames: yes, these two seem quite traditional. They'll all be Ellinghams. I'm having trouble figuring out a lot of what may happen in S6, but I'm willing to put money on the names.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't read it on my mobile - what did he say?

The interviewer asked if he still enjoyed going to London. MC said yes and the last time they were there they rode in a rickshaw. But then he mentioned that he's always worried that he might smell.

"This morning I was up bringing in our horses, wearing my pyjamas and wellies. You would say if I smelled, wouldn't you?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    DM closing the surgery for a whole day? No way! Do we know on what day of the week JH was kidnapped? If they were lucky, they'll have the weekend.
    But I also guess both of them would need some comfort. Besides, if Louisa isn't made of stone (which I do not believe), her heart must have warmed for him enough to ignite the fireworks.

I think that the villagers who were at the surgery with non emergent conditions or had appointments would cancel out on their own accord considering the circumstances or Morwenna would have already cancelled his appointments before they got back from the castle because he had already been gone so long. In this case I think that even the most nosey or selfish villager would have the decency to give them some space. Besides, Joe would blab it all to any and all who would listen as soon as he got back and they know they ain't gonna get anything out of the Doc except him turning into a walking Shakespearean insult generator.

Of course, if there was an emergency I am sure the Doc would respond.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    I'm in the camp of those who think he is slimming down a bit too much.
    Must be a real ordeal for someone, who seems to be on the chubby side naturally, to slim down that much.
    Is it me, or is he going slimmer each series?
    I hope if there's a series 7 we'll be able to see him at all.

I am going to guess that he has been busting his butt on the farm with all the cold, bad weather Britain had during lambing season.

I would not be a bit surprised if he got sick during that period, too. Being out in the cold and damp for hours isn't good. I know some cattle ranchers up in the Dakotas, Montana and Wyoming and when bad weather hits during calving they are out in it from sunup to way into the night, getting 3-4 hours of sleep and one hurried meal in if they are lucky. Most of them would end up getting sick before it was all over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I just don't know what exactly to expect from S6. I agree that I think the wedding will happen right off the bat, possibly with a scene in the church before the opening credits and then after the credits we go to the reception.

But after that, I have no clue! Here's some speculation. Didn't MC say recently that the Doc will be as obstinate as ever? If so, that hints (I think) that he'll continue to try to call all the shots, like he did in S5 (where Louisa can work on her timetable, what they have for dinner, etc.). Dr. Martin Scurr has said that DM will make a misdiagnosis in S6 (as if that's never happened before?) that will result in him realizing he's fallible. So maybe that means we'll get to see some growth in him, a realization that marriage means give and take and both parties need to be involved in decision-making and that sometimes it's possible that she knows best.

Of course, I also think we need to see some changes in Louisa. She needs to chill a bit, accept Martin for who he is and how he is, and learn to communicate better rather than stalking off down that hill every time she gets frustrated. I wonder if there will be a storyline in which we see something like that.

BodminDM, you described this as a fear, and I have to say I hope this isn't how it plays out. I just can't see it. It's too hard for me to visualize. But then again anything is possible. Who could have predicted the weirdness of S5?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She is such a beautiful woman with a brilliant smile, ...

Only that we didn't see her smile that often in S4+5. That's what I really hope will change in S6.
    I really loved S4+5, but Louisa was far too sad and stressed. I hope she relaxes more. DM accepts a joke from her, we know that, so I hope she'll tease him more than critisize him.
  • Options
    mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    I wonder how mazzieblue is getting on in PI? She arrived yesterday. Hope we get some tidbits.

Yep - arrived in Cornwall this afternoon and staying in Tintagel and having a cream tea as we speak. It has been pouring rain most of the day, so even if there was outdoor filming planned, I doubt it went on. The sun is supposed to come out on Monday. Fingers crossed!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the villagers who were at the surgery with non emergent conditions or had appointments would cancel out on their own accord considering the circumstances or Morwenna would have already cancelled his appointments before they got back from the castle because he had already been gone so long. In this case I think that even the most nosey or selfish villager would have the decency to give them some space. Besides, Joe would blab it all to any and all who would listen as soon as he got back and they know they ain't gonna get anything out of the Doc except him turning into a walking Shakespearean insult generator.

Of course, if there was an emergency I am sure the Doc would respond.

Good points. After DM called to find out where the honeymoon couple had stayed, Pauline would have taken matters into her own hands and rescheduled the patients or, if they were sick, sent them on to another doctor. By this time, maybe Morwenna has gotten her sea legs and can do the same.

As for Louisa's absence from the school, as Martin has pointed out, they'd manage if she died. :eek: So I figure the school day just rocked on along just fine and all Louisa needs to do is stop by and grab her purse.

About how much time remains in the workweek, I suspect the castle events took place mid-week, since when LG asked DM to look after James on that fateful day, she said as it is she's going to have to take off the rest of the week (to look after her recovering mother - or so she thought).

But these details are all just for our own fevered brains since I expect that they'll skip them all and start out with the wedding.

I've got my Magic 8-Ball right here!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzieblue wrote: »
    Yep - arrived in Cornwall this afternoon and staying in Tintagel and having a cream tea as we speak. It has been pouring rain most of the day, so even if there was outdoor filming planned, I doubt it went on. The sun is supposed to come out on Monday. Fingers crossed!!

I think the person who saw the filming of the wedding reception was tipped off by the woman who runs (or works at) the tea shop in Port Isaac. The Stowaway Tea Shop, I think???

Might be worth a try.
This discussion has been closed.