Options

Trivial things that annoy you intensely.

Comments

• Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »

People who say "sconn" instead of "scohne".

But it IS "sconn"...
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Axe instead of ask. How do you spell it?
  • Options
    RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, thought of another one :D I was at a corner shop once, and took what I wanted to the till only to discover the guy serving me was on the phone. He rang my items through, held his hand out for the money (whilst still using one hand to hold the phone to his ear, and not even bothering to tell me how much my items cost.)
    He then proceeded to give me my change, get a plastic bag out from under the counter and toss it on to the counter for me to bag my own items up. I did, then muttered a polite ''thank you'' as I left the shop.
    He didn't say a single word to me the entire time, just continued his conversation and acted like I didn't exist. Haven't been back since, because I think it's bloody rude to treat customers like that :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People having lengthy and loud conversations on trains. Hearing half a moronic conversation is worse than hearing all of it. The worst offenders manage to talk from the moment they get on to the moment they get off, the other party hardly gets a word in, and they are talking to their OH that they have just left or a friend at work they are about to meet.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,275
    Forum Member
    Julzei wrote: »
    People who wear their cap backwards. Its not the 90s anymore!.

It's even worse when the baseball cap is one of those quilted ones. Like that berk Brian Harvey wears/wore (a prat of a man who managed the seemingly impossible: to run himself over in a car he was driving).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Parents who have young son/s (under, say, 11) and let them (or make them?) have long hair. I laugh at how stupid they look.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Men who have beards but without the moustache bit. Look like psychos.
  • Options
    Psycho_KittyPsycho_Kitty Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who write 'brought' instead of 'bought'

So you brought a pastie from greggs?

Why did you bring the pastie out of greggs and where did you take it too?

:D
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    The word "guestimate"

When you are going through a supermarket checkout and paying and the person behind you goes to the end of the till and starts sorting out there bags

Shop assistants who say "next please" while you are still packing your bag

People putting an s on the end of words that is unnecessary "tescos" as an example

There are 5 supermarkets within walking distance from me and today I fancied a peach. All of them sold "ripen at home" peaches and none I could eat today. Didn't realise I needed to plan my fancies in advance

Getting ID'd in shops when I am blatantly old enough

North London bus queues

Anything "new and improved" generally means "completely crap now"

People going on about people on benefits saying its 'their' money supporting them, when if everyone came off benefits taxes would still be paid

Having An auto answer And choosing an option then paying and waiting 20 mins for a reply

Cold callers who can't pronounce my name
  • Options
    RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who write 'brought' instead of 'bought'

So you brought a pastie from greggs?

Why did you bring the pastie out of greggs and where did you take it too?

:D

People who don't approve of me bringing a pastie from Greggs to social functions. I 'brought it' all the way from Greggs as my date for the evening, so you could at least respect it :mad: :D
  • Options
    FlufanFlufan Posts: 2,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    macsmurray wrote: »
    People who stop dead, right in front of you, at the supermarket. That really rips my knitting.
    Great turn of phrase!
    "One sent an electronic message comprising of reading matter to a person, whom replied instantaneously".
    Not quite sure of your point here; but in case you missed it, mine was simply that many people can't seem to manage to get their mouths around the word "texted".

ETA: Another annoyance is that I wasn't sure if that should have been "mouth" or "mouths"... :mad:
  • Options
    Invent MeridianInvent Meridian Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flufan wrote: »
    Not quite sure of your point here; but in case you missed it, mine was simply that many people can't seem to manage to get their mouths around the word "texted".

ETA: Another annoyance is that I wasn't sure if that should have been "mouth" or "mouths"... :mad:

I apologise, I was trying to come up with a more upper class version the of the quote you had provided.

Text is a shortened form of the term Text Message. In which case, the past tense should be 'text messaged', however, I do not believe this sounds right. Therefore the past tense should be 'sent a text message'. Either way, 'texted' isn't a real word regardless of the pronunciation (or mispronunciation).

As you have used the word 'their', the pluralised form of the word 'mouth' is correct. If you had used 'his' or 'her' then the singular version would need to be used.
  • Options
    alycidonalycidon Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RuinedGirl wrote: »
    Oh, thought of another one :D I was at a corner shop once, and took what I wanted to the till only to discover the guy serving me was on the phone. He rang my items through, held his hand out for the money (whilst still using one hand to hold the phone to his ear, and not even bothering to tell me how much my items cost.)
    He then proceeded to give me my change, get a plastic bag out from under the counter and toss it on to the counter for me to bag my own items up. I did, then muttered a polite ''thank you'' as I left the shop.
    He didn't say a single word to me the entire time, just continued his conversation and acted like I didn't exist. Haven't been back since, because I think it's bloody rude to treat customers like that :mad:

I needed to replace my mobile phone battery a few years ago, and exactly the same thing happened to me. There were questions I wanted to ask, but obviously couldn't.

Like a fool, I bought the battery offered and paid the twelve quid. I so wish I hadn't!:mad:
  • Options
    alycidonalycidon Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either way, 'texted' isn't a real word regardless of the pronunciation (or mispronunciation).

Probably not, and I speak as one who deplores all the stupid new words that seem to be used these days. But for me the word 'texted' sounds rather attractive and it conveys the meaning fairly well, I think. IMHO!
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axe instead of ask. How do you spell it?

That really gets my goat.

I've noticed that the 'yoofs', with their jean crotches dragging on the ground & their branded boxer shorts on show seem to be saying this en masse.
  • Options
    Rab64Rab64 Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who refer to magazines as books. I don't understand why they do that. They are really not the same thing, and they have their own separate words, so why not use them? Also no one ever calls a book a magazine do they?

Proper name for a magazine is a periodical
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    I refuse to pity anyone that is trying to appear intimidating.

Other than that, I concur completely.

I don't think a hoodie or baseball cap is intimidating - nor trousers at half-mast!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That really gets my goat.

I've noticed that the 'yoofs', with their jean crotches dragging on the ground & their branded boxer shorts on show seem to be saying this en masse.

It's Jamaican patois - and elsewhere in the West Indies. Which is fine if you're of Afro-Caribbean origin, but a bit - well, a lot - sad when you're a white teenager.

See also "blood"/"blud" and "Respec'"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    samwalk wrote: »
    People having lengthy and loud conversations on trains. Hearing half a moronic conversation is worse than hearing all of it. The worst offenders manage to talk from the moment they get on to the moment they get off, the other party hardly gets a word in, and they are talking to their OH that they have just left or a friend at work they are about to meet.

Indeed

What I *do* like is the fact that, in the 25 minute train journey from Stevenage to London and vv, there are *8* tunnels, 3 of them fairly lengthy, and two of them quite close, just enough time for the phone tossers above to ring their comrade and say "Sorry I got cut off, we just went through a tun...." - seeing their annoyance mount as we head off leads to many a stifled giggle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who eat or chew gum with their mouths open. Manners please!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    People who eat or chew gum with their mouths open. Manners please!

theres this old scottish guy who is on the bus who does this..all you hear his chew, chew chomp chew chomp ..sounds disgusting, i say old cos he looks like hannibal smith from a team lol
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RuinedGirl wrote: »
    Oh, thought of another one :D I was at a corner shop once, and took what I wanted to the till only to discover the guy serving me was on the phone. He rang my items through, held his hand out for the money (whilst still using one hand to hold the phone to his ear, and not even bothering to tell me how much my items cost.

Same thing happened to me in a taxi - the driver started a conversation on his phone as he drove to my house then just pointed at the meter and reached his hand out for the money, not even looking at me or speaking.:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    riceuten wrote: »
    I don't think a hoodie or baseball cap is intimidating - nor trousers at half-mast!

Those big hoods that conceal their profiles are quite scary I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    The word "guestimate"

When you are going through a supermarket checkout and paying and the person behind you goes to the end of the till and starts sorting out there bags

Yes, that is the height of bad manners and VERY annoying! I usually make a point of taking as long as I can to pay, so they have to wait.;)

There are also the ones who put down a divider and start unloading their stuff before you have finished emptying your trolley. I have now taken to standing on guard at the start of the conveyor belt as I unload my stuff to make sure they don't get any space to do this.
  • Options
    ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio presenters on 5 Live now refer to their programmes as 'shows'. Makes me cringe. What's wrong with programme?

Any use of the word 'genre'. Shudder.

Traffic light junctions that clearly haven't been phased properly, or junctions where you have to sit through a whole change, even though it's 2 in the morning and there's no other bugger around.

I could write a lot more, but anyone who reads this and knows me will realise who wrote this.
This discussion has been closed.