Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzieblue wrote: »
    Yep - arrived in Cornwall this afternoon and staying in Tintagel and having a cream tea as we speak. It has been pouring rain most of the day, so even if there was outdoor filming planned, I doubt it went on. The sun is supposed to come out on Monday. Fingers crossed!!

I am so jealous!!!! but so very happy for you. Loved cream teas and loved Tintagel. Gonna hike King Arthur's place? Hope you have the best time ever.:cool:
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FWIW MC said in a recent interview that 'everyone likes a bit of dark'.

A "bit of dark" is one thing -- being jerked around is another.

I just find a scenario in which one of them calls off the wedding AGAIN -- this time at the very church -- to be so implausible that only a transparent desire to keep audience hooked by returning to the "will they - won't they" soap opera could explain it.

At that point, I think I would be saying, a plague on both your houses, and bailing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I think the person who saw the filming of the wedding reception was tipped off by the woman who runs (or works at) the tea shop in Port Isaac. The Stowaway Tea Shop, I think???

Might be worth a try.

As some of you may remember me saying, last year when I was in PI, the Stowaway Tea Shoppe couple were lovely and gabby about anything and everything DM (much to my delight). And they were, perhaps still are, the only authorized dealer of DM merchandise in PI. So they might have a bit more of a relationship there with the actors, just a guess.

(The surf shop has done its own thing trying to capitalize on DM, but it is not authorized and I thought it even worse than the fish in the mouth stuff, so didn't buy any.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    He thought of himself as an artist, so he might be quite happy about the bohemian label.
    Besides, I don't see him as more idiotic than most Portwennians. A bit on the dark side, but he isn't really an idiot, is he?

I could use Bohemian to describe him being an artsy type, but I didn't see him as an idiot at all. He seemed caring about his mother, normally intelligent, but eccentric (the art thing again).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FWIW MC said in a recent interview that 'everyone likes a bit of dark'.

Yes, silly man. Not "everyone" at all. Everyone wants a bit of joy even if its only a touch or (heaven forbid!) a kiss. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is very telling that his desire to go back to London was first shown in S4E1, when Louisa was away from Portwenn. He can survive Portwenn for Louisa, but he cannot survive Portwenn minus Lousia.
    When he set the wheels rolling, he cannot/wants not stop them. Louisa also doesn't encourage him in S4.
    Rather at the beginning of S5 she offers to come with him, so again no need to change his plans.
    Only when Aunt Ruth tells him what a culture shock London was, he starts thinking, I suppose.

Very good points, particularly the bold one I like a lot the way you said it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    Many of the older pictures that I posted a couple of years ago are back at the top. Many of them have only been recently 'liked' with no new comments. FB must have changed something again.

I get it now. Everytime someone hits like or makes a comment that photo comes up to the top, no matter how old.

If you hit like or make a comment does it go onto the timeline on your Facebook page?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I just find a scenario in which one of them calls off the wedding AGAIN -- this time at the very church -- to be so implausible that only a transparent desire to keep audience hooked by returning to the "will they - won't they" soap opera could explain it.

I'm with you, NewPark. The very idea is almost ridiculous. Whatever happens early in the series will affect everything for the remainder of the series, and I still see the wedding as happening early, as MC said. Scripts, plots, the entire series would be affected. I've tried to think of scenarios in which it could make sense for two versions to have been filmed.

1. As someone else said, BodminDM, I think, the wedding actually takes place in the final episode and they filmed two, depending on the possibility of S7.

2. There weren't actually two versions filmed, but assorted parts to a single version and the crew member misinterpreted what happened. Maybe something caused DM to storm out, but the fact of the reception means he got over it, whatever it was, went back in, and got married.

3. The crew had been prodded to misinform the public because they want to keep us on edge and in the dark.

But setting all of that aside, DM isn't really the type to storm out normally. He has a temper and he yells but how many times have we seen him storm off? Just a few. I think if something happened to upset him AT the church, it had to be some goofy interruption, NOT he and Louisa calling it off for some reason. If that happened, again, I can't see him storming off. I see him grief-stricken, even more than the first time.

If this crew member was deliberately trying to confuse us, we should soon know the answer. Fans in Cornwall surely will report back to us later on the placement of rings on fingers, or the lack of them.

Still, wedding reception, wedding reception, wedding reception. Floor length dress. Ring on LG's finger.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I get it now. Everytime someone hits like or makes a comment that photo comes up to the top, no matter how old.

If you hit like or make a comment does it go onto the timeline on your Facebook page?

I have no idea, cookie. I finally thought I had facebook figured out when they completely revamped it. Took awhile, but I thought I had more or less figured out the changes. Then they changed it again. I'm told just a week or so ago they changed it yet again. My daughter no longer even tries to explain it to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    But, Michael Dunwich does not, to me, fit the more eccentric type character of Bohemian or more down to earth character of a hippie.

They should have entitled the episode "Idiot With a Shotgun". Or, perhaps, "Oedipus with a Shotgun", (but that may have been to much for a family show about a grown man way too emotionally attached to his mother, while living alone and isolated with her, and having apparently no male or female friends.)

I don't think the actor chosen for the role was entirely suited to it either, Mona. I think that fellow is a quite popular heart-throb type in the UK, isn't he? Doesn't he (or didn't he) star in some TV show about dinosaurs? He's all over facebook and tumblr and the web with young women swooning all over the place. So I wonder if he wasn't chosen to appear mainly because he's popular and well-known.

He did an okay job, but someone with more "character" would have been better suited, I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one except the the really, really, really rich actually owns anything in places like Kensington or Knightsbridge where Martin once 'owned' a flat and, as I suspect, he leased a new flat in the same area for his move back to London. They sign 99 year leases if they want to 'own' it. Why? The land that everything sits on is owned by people who are descendants of the ancient ruling elite like the Duke of Westminster, Earl of Cadogan, The Grosvenor Estate, etc. and they lease the land to people to build homes/businesses on. Under Leasehold Reform Act of 1993 people who own leases are allowed to try to buy the land but the land is so expensive that only a very few can-people like Saudi oil sheiks, Richard Branson or Bill Gates. For example the freehold that the store Harvey Nichols sits on is valued at £35 million-well above the wallet of the likes of one Martin Ellingham.

Quick search on rightmove.co.uk shows lots of freehold 3 bed flats in Kensington 1million GBP or 4 million GBP well within DMs price range. Interesting to look at all the 12 million GBP and UP apartments/houses!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea, cookie. I finally thought I had facebook figured out when they completely revamped it. Took awhile, but I thought I had more or less figured out the changes. Then they changed it again. I'm told just a week or so ago they changed it yet again. My daughter no longer even tries to explain it to me.

:D:D:cool:

Oh well! Just as long as it gives me up to the minute access to people in Portwenn - oh I mean Port Isaacs - I don't mind if I don't know the finer points of using it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with you, NewPark. The very idea is almost ridiculous. Whatever happens early in the series will affect everything for the remainder of the series, and I still see the wedding as happening early, as MC said. Scripts, plots, the entire series would be affected. I've tried to think of scenarios in which it could make sense for two versions to have been filmed.

1. As someone else said, BodminDM, I think, the wedding actually takes place in the final episode and they filmed two, depending on the possibility of S7.

If this crew member was deliberately trying to confuse us, we should soon know the answer. Fans in Cornwall surely will report back to us later on the placement of rings on fingers, or the lack of them.

Still, wedding reception, wedding reception, wedding reception. Floor length dress. Ring on LG's finger.

We're talking to you, mazzieblue and poorrichard and dcmcfan.

It's possible that Rory Wilton was confused about whether or not he was in the actual first episode. But I thought he was pretty clear about saying his part was in the first episode. So if the wedding is first episode, all the rest of the series seems to flow from that. Or maybe -- in the first episode there's a non-wedding and in the last they go through the whole thing again, this time successfully, third time's the charm. But filmed beginning and ending at the same time because they both used the same location. Oh, the whole thing is ridiculous.

It was suspected at the time that there were two endings filmed for S3 and the non-wedding one was shown when funding was assured for S4. But, on past performance, it's some time AFTER S4 and S5 were aired that we found out that the next seasons were commissioned. So I don't think they would leave us with a non-wedding in hopes of a S7. Why really enrage your fan base to no good end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if the Doc storming out of the church has something to do with a medical emergency? Just a thought.

Oh, and I've read "long wedding dress" in several posts, but I've yet to see actual evidence that the dress is long, nor testimony to that fact. Did I miss something? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    He was talking about his TV movie at the time. We don't want that with DM.:( I know some people have described series 5 as 'dark' but I didn't really see it that way. I thought it showed us much more about DM's and Louisa's childhood. The dreams, old photo's, and Eleanor's arrival gave us more to absorb regarding their backgrounds. There were other wonderful things but I think these were important to the storyline.

Connie, absolutely agree with you that he was talking about The Town And I felt he was only responding to the lead of Lorraine about everyone in it being in a bit of a "dark place". I actually sort of felt he was grasping or at a loss for words as to how to respond to her comment. And so came up with, for him, what seemed an uncharacteristically lame statement: "Everyone likes a bit of dark." At least that is the way it struck me and still does every time I've watched that interview.

I also didn't find S5 "dark", just realistic of new parenthood (as I've said before here) and watching an honest effort of DM and LG trying to figure out what and how to do it, taking care of baby, but not sorting out their own relationship really. You and another poster a bit ago both make good points about much positive stuff that actually appeared in S5, especially from DM, I felt he grew into fatherhood and still tried to take care of LG in so many ways. Her mother really threw the clinker in it and LG regressed a bit because of it and took it out on Doc. But then again it is all about misunderstandings, as usual.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does one fly from Cornwall to Dorset?

Seriously, yes, he could. Newquay Airport down the coast a bit from PI flies into Exeter where he could hop a train to Crewkerne (45 min. train trip approx.)

He could fly to Bournemouth, in Dorset, but that would be way overshooting his target of home, if he was heading to Beaminster.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Quick search on rightmove.co.uk shows lots of freehold 3 bed flats in Kensington 1million GBP or 4 million GBP well within DMs price range. Interesting to look at all the 12 million GBP and UP apartments/houses!

Hmmm.... He sold his previous flat to cover for Joan. He's been working as a rural NHS GP for the past 5 or so years at a drastic cut in pay. (in case you are not aware of it NHS GP's are technically self employed and rural ones don't make that much) He owns the surgery and that cost more than a $1.98 to buy given the cost of real estate there. He had to buy a car to work in Cornwall and maintain it. He has expensive taste in suits and how many of those has he had to replace? His other assets have probably taken a hit like everyone else and he has probably been dipping into them during his time in PW, too.

It is fairly obvious that the family money has been spent by his parents and I suspect he isn't a trust fund baby, either. Now where exactly does he come up with the kind of cash to purchase a million £ plus flat? Sell all his other assets to buy a flat? Pay a ton for a down payment and a mortgage payment that rivals paying rent? Not very logical or prudent and he is a logical and prudent person. No, the prudent course of action would be to rent until both the situation at Imperial and with Louisa becomes clearer. Then, if all goes well, they can then go shopping for a new home. If not a leased flat will be fine for Martin given the cost of purchasing a flat in an inflated real estate market like London and perhaps purchase one later on when prices fall or a bargain presents itself.

That is why I said he rented the flat. It is prudent and logical given the situation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    I have seen a few more pics on the FB site and I saw one with Penhale dressed in his formals. Would he dress like that if he was just a guest? I'm thinking Best man. I dunno but at the last wedding he was just in his normal uniform. But perhaps the village knows that this time they WILL do it - so they are making a bit more of an effort.
    I also love the flowered arch outside the church, so romantic. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if the Doc storming out of the church has something to do with a medical emergency? Just a thought.

Oh, and I've read "long wedding dress" in several posts, but I've yet to see actual evidence that the dress is long, nor testimony to that fact. Did I miss something? :confused:

Go to Facebook "doc martin (martin clunes) fan club
    Look for picture if LG/CC in her wedding dress with two girls.
    Posted by Michelle Moses Thursday at 2:51. She is the mother of the girls and was there to see the dress.

Look thru comments where Michelle answers:
    "The dress was floor length."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    Some random ideas:

1) I love the little "dance" at the beginning. He really is willing to come a long way to meet her needs. He doesn't see any sense in it, he feels uncomfortable, he is rubbish at it - but he does it because she expects him to do it. If that isn't love:)
    2) We really get a sense for Louisa's great communication skills. The timing for her telling him that she wants to go with London to him is very remarkable. He just hears it half asleep and then she is a bit disappointed if his only anwer is "Right". At least she coaxes "Good" out of him.
    3) I love DM's comment re Buddy when he brings him back to the farm "If it sneaks int my house and hides once more, I won't be responsible for my actions."
    4) I can understand that DM is distracted by the crying baby during surgery, but his strategy to suggests a walk fires back on him. Maybe "It's a fact" to end a discussion is not the smartest comment.
    5) When he leaves in that scene MC uses his body language very well, again. The shifty way DM tries to get confirmation that LG's offer to go to London is still on is really great.
    6) I find DM's face when LG refers to the baby as "Albert" absolutely hilarious. I think that's the last thing DM wants, naming the child after Bert!
    7) I always smile when Shirley says about her son: "He isn't quite right in his head. He got that from his father." Really:rolleyes:?
    8) When AR leaves her neighbors with the reclaimed hubcaps I have to admit that I don't like her sarcastic "Lovely to meet you." I prefer DM's honest aversion more.
    9) I simply LOVE Peter Vaughan, generally and in this episode. Especially I liked the interaction between Morwenna and Granddad. I liked her from the moment we first see her with him. Their short interplay tells a story of a child growing up without he parents, I thought.
    10) When Louisa runs into Pippa I asked myself if it is normal in Portwenn to ask new mums about all bodily functions in public.
    11) When Louisa is about to post her resignation, I thought she was quite happy to be interrupted. On first viewing I was concerned she might change her mind and was quite glad when she actually did finally post it.
    12) When Morwenna interrupts DM and LG's sleep, I love the little dialogue.
    LG: "I'm sure Martin appreciates you enthusiam."
    DM: "No, I don't!"
    13) I was sorry for the actors MC and IMN for acting the scene when DM has to help BL to get up. I bet there was a lot of laughter on the set.
    14) When Morwenna is in the waiting room under the influence of the amphitamines I admire JR for talking that fast. She has quite a good deal of text and delivers it in high speed. My kudos to that!
    15) During the scene in the arsenic-infested bedroom I thought AR didn't handle the situation very well. Maybe it was good that DM didn't follow her advice in S5E8 but Louisa's. AR's de-escalation tactics didn't really work here. It is close to madness to leave a loaded gun in reach for a paranoid woman.
    "Alright, not ideal, but we can work with it."
    16) I notice forebodins on the last episode twice during this one, or maybe I'm just imagining things.
    The son says to shirley: "Just give me another chance."
    Later, Mr. Newcross tells the Doc that Morwenna didn't knew about the nature of the drugs: "She deserves a second chance, don't you think?"
    I'm not sure if we have more of this in other episodes, but in reviewing I noticed it for the first time.
    17) Back to the bedroom (Shirley's, that is). I love the dialogue
    DM: "There's a peculiar odour in this room."
    JP: "I'm afraid that's the smell of murder."
    DM: "Like garlic."
    JP: "And French cooking."
    That's why I love this series!
    18) Just a sidenote to the entire series - did Penhale ever had so much work in all the other series together than in this one? There was actually crime in Portwenn!
    We have potential arsenic poisening, the loan sharks and a kidnapping. Must be a red letter year for Joe. Just after he told Mrs. T that he wants to deal with something violent for a change!
    19) I loved it when Mr. Newcross threatened DM to wait for him with a big stick at the big gate if he doesn't give Morwenna her job back. That's the spirit!
    20) I think you can just love the scene at the end. And for a change DM and LG agree on the importance of bedtime stories. OK, not the content, but the fact in itself.
    However, at that age a baby hasn't got a clue what is read to him and just reacts on the sound of the voice, so it's a good way to get your stuff sorted and read to the baby. To kill two birds with one stone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    So, maybe ...
    We begin S6 with DM and LG at the church, in the midst of their wedding ceremony, when Chippy has a medical emergency and has to be rushed by ambulance to the hospital. DM must go along, leaving LG standing at the altar. In the meantime, the PW-ians (and maybe LG a little) aren't entirely sure whether he will return to say his "I do's", so they continue on to the reception. Regardless, they all know DM will be gone awhile, given the distance to the hospital and the nature of the emergency, so why wait around when they could be partying? Eventually, DM does return to PW by taxi (since he didn't drive his car to the hospital) and he and LG (maybe AR, JH and JP, too) have a quiet ceremony without the entire village present -- they are all too busy enjoying the festivities to notice that the couple has left.
    Maybe??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, maybe ...
    We begin S6 with DM and LG at the church, in the midst of their wedding ceremony, when Chippy has a medical emergency and has to be rushed by ambulance to the hospital. DM must go along, leaving LG standing at the altar. In the meantime, the PW-ians (and maybe LG a little) aren't entirely sure whether he will return to say his "I do's", so they continue on to the reception. Regardless, they all know DM will be gone awhile, given the distance to the hospital and the nature of the emergency, so why wait around when they could be partying? Eventually, DM does return to PW by taxi (since he didn't drive his car to the hospital) and he and LG (maybe AR, JH and JP, too) have a quiet ceremony without the entire village present -- they are all too busy enjoying the festivities to notice that the couple has left.
    Maybe??

I can believe that some kind of medical emergency happens to Chippy Miller, and that the ceremony stops while DM deals with it. That is the kind of "interruptus" that has become the hallmark of the show -- once each episode, seems like.

But the information (disinformation) passed on by the cameraman (and how is he exempt from the non-disclosure agreement?) is specific about filming two versions of the wedding -- one in which it comes off, the other in which it doesn't. Supposedly this is to keep people guessing, which seems rather pointless to me since glimpses of the rest of the series should make it reasonably clear whether or not they are at least living together. Unless the wedding episode is truly the 8th and they want the choice to end on a cliffhanger. It just makes no sense to me, but I suppose that's the state they want their fans to be in.

Or -- the camerman may have misunderstood something, and there's a big bust-up just before the wedding and DM goes storming off and this time LG goes after him and all is smoothed over and the wedding goes on. But I don't think the cameraman misunderstood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some random ideas:

4) I can understand that DM is distracted by the crying baby during surgery, but his strategy to suggests a walk fires back on him. Maybe "It's a fact" to end a discussion is not the smartest comment.
    5) When he leaves in that scene MC uses his body language very well, again. The shifty way DM tries to get confirmation that LG's offer to go to London is still on is really great.

He does "shifty" quite well. You can see him deciding that direct confrontation and statement of his preferences is beneath him, but putting on a rational argument -- "studies show, etc." is a tactic that is sure to work. In this case he throws in some b.s. about motion being effective in helping baby sleep. It does, but the point is, he wants the noise stopped. He does this also in the second episode, seated at the table peeling his apple and quoting studies that "prove" that Louisa should quit her job and stay home with the baby.

Actually, it's quite typical of him -- distancing himself from his real feelings and wants by intellectualizing and rationalizing.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I an believe that some kind of medical emergency happens to Chippy Miller, and that the ceremony stops while DM deals with it. That is the kind of "interruptus" that has become the hallmark of the show -- once each episode, seems like.

But the information (disinformation) passed on by the cameraman (and how is he exempt from the non-disclosure agreement?) is specific about filming two versions of the wedding -- one in which it comes off, the other in which it doesn't. Supposedly this is to keep people guessing, which seems rather pointless to me since glimpses of the rest of the series should make it reasonably clear whether or not they are at least living together. Unless the wedding episode is truly the 8th and they want the choice to end on a cliffhanger. It just makes no sense to me, but I suppose that's the state they want their fans to be in.

Or -- the camerman may have misunderstood something, and there's a big bust-up just before the wedding and DM goes storming off and this time LG goes after him and all is smoothed over and the wedding goes on. But I don't think the cameraman misunderstood.

I wonder if the the comments by the PA, or cameraman, or whoever it was, were sanctioned from on high to deliberately throw us off the scent as to what is really happening. The non-disclosure agreement that the others have to abide by seem to be very well enforced. So you're right, NewPark, to question how he/she would be allowed to talk about the plot of the show without consequences. That's why I think it may be an intentional ploy to keep us guessing.

And it worked! We are all guessing now about the circumstances of the plot as to whether they really will get married! Even though an onlooker saw them doing the first dance. It's so expensive to shoot a scene over and over, it is hard to fathom that they are doing that just to confuse the fans. It could be a dream sequence. Even though they don't use dream sequences very often, and when they do the scenes are very short.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is why I said he rented the flat. It is prudent and logical given the situation.

For the benefit of non-UK residents :

Central London, while having its own, ALMOST unique, UK price band, is, like everywhere else, experiencing the effects of the recession.

Hence, right now might BE the very best time to buy property...

For someone with the available funds, it would be prudent to buy rather than spend ' dead money ' on rent, with a long term view to the investment. Leasehold does not impy rented; only that you do not own the freehold to the ground site. An apartment would not cover and cost anything like the size of the site of Harvey Nicks at £35m.....

The Doc is no fool in matters financial; he has proved that in the past.
This discussion has been closed.