Options

Men who tell other men to 'get a hair cut'.

ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
Forum Member
Hello gentlemen. Have you ever had the audacity to grow your hair, only to be faced by a torrent of 'get your hair cut comments' from, usually older, grey haired and balding men? Incidently, they are the same men who may have also told you to 'get a shave', if you happen to grow a beard, sometimes accompanied with 'scruff' for good measure.

See, at some point, your hair will reach this sort of 'critical mass' length, at which point, every Tom, Dick and Harry in your working establishment (or other social environment), will take it upon themselves to inform you that you should have it removed immediately

Now, there's not usually any malice intended in these comments, indeed they most likely come under the catch-all term 'banter' (a word which, when.literally translated means; 'tosser'), but that's irrelevant.

What I do want to know though is, why do they care?! Do I have to look like everyone else? Keep my hair short, wear reasonable slacks, have 2.1 children by the time I'm 30?! I mean sure, if a parent or partner says I look better with shorter hair, I tend to take note, since I actually respect their opinions, but some random work collegue, in his 50's, with halitosis and a comb over? Not so much.

Comments

• Options
    Pete GrainPete Grain Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a haircut you hippy :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pete Grain wrote: »
    Get a haircut you hippy :D

Internet person... even less of a connection than work colleague... does. not. compute!

Funnily enough, the only comment I got at work from a woman was one older lady asking if I was 'trying to be a hippy'.

I sometimes get the Edward Cullen comments when I'm out. Isn't he the guy from Twilight, all the women lust after? Oddly, I had no problems with that :p

Jealous, bald, older men on the other hand, can go cry into their regaine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeez. Was just a tongue in cheek remark.

Sounds like you have more of a complex about those older than you, with little or no hair...than they actually do about you.

Seriously dude, get a grip ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jeez. Was just a tongue in cheek remark.

Sounds like you have more of a complex about those older than you, with little or no hair...than they actually do about you.

Seriously dude, get a grip ;)

Mine was also tongue in cheek in case you missed it.
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just convention. The hatred of "banter" from many on this forum seems to suggest some real social interaction issues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fink wrote: »
    It's just convention. The hatred of "banter" from many on this forum seems to suggest some real social interaction issues.

Or that dry humour doesn't work so well over the internet.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    Hello gentlemen. Have you ever had the audacity to grow your hair, only to be faced by a torrent of 'get your hair cut comments' from, usually older, grey haired and balding men? Incidently, they are the same men who may have also told you to 'get a shave', if you happen to grow a beard, sometimes accompanied with 'scruff' for good measure.

See, at some point, your hair will reach this sort of 'critical mass' length, at which point, every Tom, Dick and Harry in your working establishment (or other social environment), will take it upon themselves to inform you that you should have it removed immediately

Now, there's not usually any malice intended in these comments, indeed they most likely come under the catch-all term 'banter' (a word which, when.literally translated means; 'tosser'), but that's irrelevant.

What I do want to know though is, why do they care?! Do I have to look like everyone else? Keep my hair short, wear reasonable slacks, have 2.1 children by the time I'm 30?! I mean sure, if a parent or partner says I look better with shorter hair, I tend to take note, since I actually respect their opinions, but some random work collegue, in his 50's, with halitosis and a comb over? Not so much.

I remember once getting my own back on a much older guy at work, when I was only 22, who told me my (then) long hair looked scruffy, and I said in an equally loud voice "Maybe long and scruffy, but better than your filthy long fingernails".

He never said another word to me after that :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or that dry humour doesn't work so well over the internet.

Aha, Fair enough ;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine was also tongue in cheek in case you missed it.

Sits back sheepishly. Yes...I missed it. :o

Had a late session last night...methinks I need the 'hair of the dog' to regain my equilbrium :-s
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My boyfriends boss is always telling him when he needs a haircut, complains if he's not shaved and doesn't like him wearing pink shirts. Though the boss is 44, has hair and has it cut every 3 weeks paying over £20 a time apparently. Hes very under the thumb at home, we think that's why he makes ridiculous demands in the office.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,335
    Forum Member
    I would never listen to a bald/balding man on how long my hair should be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sits back sheepishly. Yes...I missed it. :o

Had a late session last night...methinks I need the 'hair of the dog' to regain my equilbrium :-s

No worries, it's early yet :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    I remember once getting my own back on a much older guy at work, when I was only 22, who told me my (then) long hair looked scruffy, and I said in an equally loud voice "Maybe long and scruffy, but better than your filthy long fingernails".

He never said another word to me after that :p

Nice. Trouble is, I am too self deprecating. When someone says something bad about me, I then say something bad about me and later wonder why I didn't just snap back with something like that. It's funny how little awareness these people seem to have of their own flaws.
  • Options
    PicklebumPicklebum Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 3 year old son has what I would call a "skaterboy " haircut.(collar length)

Drives me mad when shaven headed Dads of shaven headed little thugs tell me he should be have a haircut .:mad:
  • Options
    Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a bald guy at work who is forever going on about haircuts. My view is that many men start to lose hair quite early on and end up with a #2 buzz cut. If that is going to happen, why miss out on the fun of having outrageous hair whilst you can?

Purple mohican's should be mandatory for all young men. I say that as a 50 something that could have a mohican, but not sure the grey roots would be a good look ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stewie_C wrote: »
    We have a bald guy at work who is forever going on about haircuts. My view is that many men start to lose hair quite early on and end up with a #2 buzz cut. If that is going to happen, why miss out on the fun of having outrageous hair whilst you can?

Purple mohican's should be mandatory for all young men. I say that as a 50 something that could have a mohican, but not sure the grey roots would be a good look ;)

I think that would be a good look. When I imagine native Americans, I imagine them with long grey, or greying hair. It works best if you are a rocker. The club I go to often on Fridays/ Saturdays has a good range of ages, and there are plenty of older guys with longer hair. Possibly, since it is a metal club :D

Yes, I've had it long before, but not very long. I thought I'd grow it and see how it goes. It is admittedly a bit of a mess right now. I used to gel it at the front, hence the Edward Cullen comments, but it's now got to the stage where it's a bit too long to gel, so I'm not really sure what to do with it, but not really bothered right now to be honest, even if it is starting to look a bit Dylan Moran :p
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice. Trouble is, I am too self deprecating. When someone says something bad about me, I then say something bad about me and later wonder why I didn't just snap back with something like that. It's funny how little awareness these people seem to have of their own flaws.

Just observe everybody around you, and look for their weak spots, both personal and work related. Be ready to use them if they have a personal go at you.

As long as your observations are factual, and visible to others, there is no way out for them.

Obviously, not every weak spot you notice will fit in to a riposte to their comment, but most will.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,077
    Forum Member
    I don't like long hair on men, or even little boys (sorry to the FM whose litte un has a skater hairstyle) but that's just my preference. I'd certainly never tell anyone to get a haircut though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Just observe everybody around you, and look for their weak spots, both personal and work related. Be ready to use them if they have a personal go at you.

As long as your observations are factual, and visible to others, there is no way out for them.

Obviously, not every weak spot you notice will fit in to a riposte to their comment, but most will.

Whenever I try that, it comes across as way too harsh :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't like long hair on men, or even little boys (sorry to the FM whose litte un has a skater hairstyle) but that's just my preference. I'd certainly never tell anyone to get a haircut though.

My gf won't let me get it cut :p Nah, she would really, but she prefers long hair on a guy + as someone else said, why not grow it while you can? I bet most of the blokes who like to tell you to get it cut, rocked the hippy look at some stage :D
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure the whole haircut thing stems from the military's need to de-personalise individuals in order for them to become anonynous and disposable. Most men stay in one kind of uniforn or another throughout their whole life..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My gf won't let me get it cut :p Nah, she would really, but she prefers long hair on a guy + as someone else said, why not grow it while you can? I bet most of the blokes who like to tell you to get it cut, rocked the hippy look at some stage :D

I had the full Clint Boon cut at the start of the 90's
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fink wrote: »
    The hatred of "banter" from many on this forum seems to suggest some real social interaction issues.

Banter, chaff, worthless words. Guff and nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onefineday wrote: »
    Banter, chaff, worthless words. Guff and nonsense.

Just describes that kind of bloke, jokey interaction to me. Much like it is for most groups of mates or colleagues.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't know if you watch it but that kid 'Denny' on eastenders has really annoying hair.