Options

Anyone had problems with TalkTalk (internet keeps dropping out)

maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
Forum Member
✭✭
Only two days ago my Broadband and phone service went live with TalkTalk (switched from BT to TalkTalk) and pretty much all that day the internet was slow and/or kept dropping out (pages taking a while to load then eventually "connection had timed out" message). Anyway I got in contact with them yesterday to see if this was normal within the first 24 hours of going live and they said they detected a fault.

Today engineers have been working on it (externally, I didn't actually know they would need to come to my property today) so when I came back home today (around 5pm) there was a hand-written message through the door saying "all lines are now up and working and all is fine, couldn't access telephone socket inside as no one in".

The internet I have right now is pretty fast and is good BUT every now and then it keeps dropping out....as if for no reason at all.

I'm just wondering is there a setting(s) that I might need to change to stop this from happening because it's clear that something has been fixed along the way as the speed is so much better (bar the dropping out). I say this because I remember a few years back I had an internet connection that was too high in optics (or something like that) to run on my system.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just left Talk Talk and gone to BT. Their service was terrible, always dropping out and slowing down at night.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I used to have BT, and I just moved to talk talk last month, no difference in the service that I have noticed and the bill is half what BT's was.

Happy days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Constantly, the service is terrible and I find myself resetting my router several times a day. Customer Services are rude too.
  • Options
    JessTheCatJessTheCat Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horton wrote: »
    Constantly, the service is terrible and I find myself resetting my router several times a day. Customer Services are rude too.

Yes,me too - rebooting several times a day. Seems to have got worse over the last couple of weeks, used to happen occasionally but now it's 4 or 5 times a day. I'm vaguely relieved to hear that others are having the same experience as I thought my router was on it's way out. My contract with TalkTalk runs out in June and if things don't improve they'll be minus a customer.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had something similar recently.

I'm with a different ISP. But whichever service we all use it's BT that control the network. When you change ISP then it's a BT engineer that does the work on the lines. Sometimes there are issues. My line speed was upgraded. I think that involved them making some changes at the local exchange to move my line connections over to a faster feed line. Since that happened I had connection issues too.

I did all at my end to make sure it wasn't an issue in the house. I changed the ADSL filter, the connection cables, and eventually the router. Nothing improved. So I called my ISP and got them to start a fault trace. That resulted in the BT engineer calling at the house to check from my socket back out via the home lines to the exchange. Whatever they did, it has cured the problem. I can see from my router diagnostic page. The connection stays up for days whereas before I'd be lucky to get a couple of hours continuous service.

So, it's pretty unlikely that any settings on your router are going to improve things. Especially seeing that it worked fine when you were on the BT service.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes dropping out several times a day for a few minutes each time and yes it has got noticeably worse the last few weeks. Apart from that their web browsing speeds are atrocious and getting worse!
  • Options
    Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    I've just left Talk Talk and gone to BT. Their service was terrible, always dropping out and slowing down at night.

I too and for the same reasons...even after getting a visit from the BT engineers there was no problem with my equipment or with the exchange. I was losing broadband for maybe for about 5 to 30 minutes per day. At least now if my BB goes down with BT I can use the BTwifi hotspots....

My speeds from TT dropped from 14MB to about 5MB over a few months, after so many outages I decided to drop TT and terminate my second phone line (which had TT on) and started from scratch with BT on my main phone line. Since doing this my connection is about 15MB out of a 17MB max on my exchange.

OH YES AND BTW, if you ever call TT and they want to send an engineer it might cost you money. TT tried to do get me to have an engineer but as I pay BT for my line I told TT I would contact BT to send an engineer...TT got annoyed about that.
  • Options
    DE53DE53 Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All of the above problems and i'm with Orange :mad:

so don't change to them :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had difficulty logging in to read my emails. I shut down Internet Explorer, and opened Google Chrome, and had no trouble at all.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with Talk Talk and have PC on most of the day, no problems here.
  • Options
    Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I'm with Talk Talk and have PC on most of the day, no problems here.

It was like that for me, I was on Tiscali for years with no real problems but soon after Talk Talk took over Tiscali it all went downhill.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too and for the same reasons...even after getting a visit from the BT engineers there was no problem with my equipment or with the exchange. I was losing broadband for maybe for about 5 to 30 minutes per day. At least now if my BB goes down with BT I can use the BTwifi hotspots....

My speeds from TT dropped from 14MB to about 5MB over a few months, after so many outages I decided to drop TT and terminate my second phone line (which had TT on) and started from scratch with BT on my main phone line. Since doing this my connection is about 15MB out of a 17MB max on my exchange.

OH YES AND BTW, if you ever call TT and they want to send an engineer it might cost you money. TT tried to do get me to have an engineer but as I pay BT for my line I told TT I would contact BT to send an engineer...TT got annoyed about that.

I've had BT a month and not one drop out and speeds of 7MB constantly. With Talk Talk I would be throttled at 0.5MB every evening and most weekends.
  • Options
    Vicky.Vicky. Posts: 5,948
    Forum Member
    Not with talktalk, but last night and this morning my sky broadband kept buggering up.
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm with TT and experience all of these problems, the only thing they're not slow at is sending monthly bill which in my case is £40.
    Now just had a letter from TT, no 'phone number or email contact on it, telling me they're altering my contract to charge for calls to USA. What does that say about a server,afraid of contact???.
    If they do That'll be the last £40 they'll see from me.
  • Options
    Glitterbug13Glitterbug13 Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Mine kept dropping out Tuesday and Wednesday night, then it made no attempt at all to pick up a connection, even after a router and laptop restart. Talk Talk is bloody awful at times :(
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,572
    Forum Member
    Horton wrote: »
    Customer Services are rude too.

This is an understatement.... Ignorant a***holes :mad::mad:

Apart from that they are not too bad. Have only had one problem with my router which was renewed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only two days ago my Broadband and phone service went live with TalkTalk (switched from BT to TalkTalk) and pretty much all that day the internet was slow and/or kept dropping out (pages taking a while to load then eventually "connection had timed out" message). Anyway I got in contact with them yesterday to see if this was normal within the first 24 hours of going live and they said they detected a fault.

Today engineers have been working on it (externally, I didn't actually know they would need to come to my property today) so when I came back home today (around 5pm) there was a hand-written message through the door saying "all lines are now up and working and all is fine, couldn't access telephone socket inside as no one in".

The internet I have right now is pretty fast and is good BUT every now and then it keeps dropping out....as if for no reason at all.

I'm just wondering is there a setting(s) that I might need to change to stop this from happening because it's clear that something has been fixed along the way as the speed is so much better (bar the dropping out). I say this because I remember a few years back I had an internet connection that was too high in optics (or something like that) to run on my system.

I and most of my friendshave moved to Plusnet, they have thebest customer service of all the providers. when my friend had a problem he phoned up and spoke to a 'real person' about it the problem was sorted in about one hour.
    I pay £6.99 a month for unlimited plus landline. I don't think any of the others can beat that. I live in an area where we havent got high speed or/and fibre optics and the internet connectiion rarely drops, a little slow at peak times but almost never drops out.
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've been with TT for about 3 years. The first 24 month contract was dirt cheap, and although the internet kept dropping it would do it for a few seconds / minutes at the most. Then we renewed with them in December for a 1 year contract (taking advantage of the 3 months' half price offer) and overnight the connection became awful. Phoned them, went through all the checks etc, they send an engineer out.
    When they explained that there might be a cost of £50 if the fault was inside our home as opposed to the line, I asked what I could do to check whether we had any faults. They couldn't tell me, they just kept repeating that there might be a cost, but might not. Customer services were very polite, but I got the feeling that they were reading from a script and had very little grasp of the English language, so didn't really understand what I was asking. I couldn't always understand them either, which was quite frustating.

Will not be renewing with TT. The problem is better, but will give another company a try.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You'd do better asking this in the proper forum where you're more likely to get the technical advice rather than lots of whinging - you'll get that there as well but you're also more likely to get the geeks who can actually help.
  • Options
    maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I contacted TT this morning and told them everything. They did a test and said there is a fault which looks like it is outside my house. So I said Okay fine. More tests are (apparently) being done now and an engineer is coming to have a look at the outside (not inside). But what's the betting the engineer will also bang the door down trying to come inside and I won't be here.

I am also a little hasty of opening the door because the adviser said I will be charged £50 call out charge or £99 if there is a fault. So I'm sort of in a predicament really. I can't really afford to part with that sort of money at present. If i'm here, I might just not answer the door. It may sound a bit daft but I'll have to consider elsewhere options. I didn't have this with BT.
  • Options
    darren221980darren221980 Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    I've been a TalkTalk customer for a few years now and the customer service from them is cr4p to put it politely. Anyway i have had issues with frequent disconnects however they have been fixed by replacing the filter on my line.

A tip for TalkTalk customers, register yourself over on the http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/ and if you encounter problems follow the steps on there for help. Its a lot easier than speaking to them direct and i've always found them very helpful.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maddiesdoor,
    please read again the reply I wroye for you. It answers most of your questions:
    I had something similar recently.

I'm with a different ISP. But whichever service we all use it's BT that control the network. When you change ISP then it's a BT engineer that does the work on the lines. Sometimes there are issues. My line speed was upgraded. I think that involved them making some changes at the local exchange to move my line connections over to a faster feed line. Since that happened I had connection issues too.

I did all at my end to make sure it wasn't an issue in the house. I changed the ADSL filter, the connection cables, and eventually the router. Nothing improved. So I called my ISP and got them to start a fault trace. That resulted in the BT engineer calling at the house to check from my socket back out via the home lines to the exchange. Whatever they did, it has cured the problem. I can see from my router diagnostic page. The connection stays up for days whereas before I'd be lucky to get a couple of hours continuous service.

So, it's pretty unlikely that any settings on your router are going to improve things. Especially seeing that it worked fine when you were on the BT service.

As for the charges: BT charge TT for a service call if the problem is customer-side of the BT socket. If you contract out to another telecoms provider then that's standard practise.

Also, whether you are a BT customer or not, BT will also charge you to find or fix faults on any extension lines inside your home that they didn't originally install. This also goes for any equipment such as broadband routers, telephones, answer machines, fax machines etc that you aren't renting from BT. If you bought it and had it installed yourself then it's your responsibility, not BT's. So if it goes wrong or causes a problem on the line then BT are not going to foot the bill to identify the issue.

People are quick to whinge about prices and happy to take a lower quote without fully understanding the responsibilities they are taking on in exchange for a lower price.

So, £50 for the BT engineer because you might of messed up something inside your home isn't TT profiteering. It's the real cost of providing a service. My ISP is PlusNet. They mentioned exactly the same cost when I had my line checked. My thoughts were just like yours. But I was confident that all was well with my gear. The difference with PlusNet is that they arranged a time for the BT engineer to call that was convenient for me so I could be here.

I will repeat what I said before....

Seeing as all your gear worked when you were with BT, then it's very unlikely that the problem is in your home. It's highly likely to be a line fault due to the changeover to TT.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Yes, started to drop off a few times a day now.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to have a problem with losing my internet every evening with talktalk (about 2 years ago) but a new router solved the problem.

It did mean tying myself in to another 18 month contract with them though for them to replace the router - they have the worst customer service I have ever encountered!
  • Options
    TechnoGeekTechnoGeek Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had been with Tiscali since 03/04 internet was always very stable but customers service awful, anyhow when TalkTalk took over my speed dropped from a steady 6 mbps to about 3mbps i rang and complained and they put me on there own LLU network no problems whatsoever apart from the odd disconnection over the last 5 yrs or so. but i always kept my phoneline with BT been out of contract now since april last year and going back to BT on Infinity 23rd april. My advice TalkTalk customer service AWFUL broadband reliable if on there LLU network but dont let them take over your landline heard they use very cheap switching equipment in the exchange.