Options

Usa Usa Usa

Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Was the chant as news of the capture of the 19 year old emerged .....why are they so weird.?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is weird about expressing relief about the end of a murderous campaign of terror? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Team America! :cool:

Brilliant film, and really confirmed the stereotype I had in my head :D
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're patriotic. Unlike many in the UK who seem to be embarrassed to be Britsh.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Not quite as weird as hearing, "Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi!" at concerts.
  • Options
    wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nationalism is for followers and is no better than religion.

America is a highly nationalistic, ethnically divided, militaristic state. When it becomes poor it will be worse than Somalia.
  • Options
    PotkettlePotkettle Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can you even ask such a silly question? That's weird!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're just celebrating the fact that a dangerous terrorist had been caught. I would be too.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    fink wrote: »
    They're patriotic. Unlike many in the UK who seem to be embarrassed to be Britsh.
    The Scottish, Welsh and Irish always seem very patriotic.

The English less so.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Maggie Maggie Maggie.... dead dead dead".

No, nothing weird about that.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,657
    Forum Member
    Yes, it's strange. I can understand feeling happy that the perpetrators has been arrested, but chanting "USA!" somehow implies the whole country and its residents are responsible for bringing the nasty terrorists to justice.

It also applies a sort of sport feeling to it all.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil5234 wrote: »
    Was the chant as news of the capture of the 19 year old emerged .....why are they so weird.?

No more weird than having our side singing "Ding dong the wicked witch is dead" when Thatcher passed away or in case of some certain football fans, "You'll never walk alone" when drunk and emotional. :D

Seriously though, 'USA! USA! USA!" is one of my least favourite chants, but it's part of their national character, isn't it? No harm in it, really.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were relieved and happy it was all over, I think I'd feel the same if I lived there.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    "Maggie Maggie Maggie.... dead dead dead".

No, nothing weird about that.
    :D:D
    Takae wrote: »
    No more weird than having our side singing "Ding dong the wicked witch is dead" when Thatcher passed away or in case of some certain football fans, "You'll never walk alone" when drunk and emotional. :D

Seriously though, 'USA! USA! USA!" is one of my least favourite chants, but it's part of their national character, isn't it? No harm in it, really.
    Exactly so. :D
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    They will be playing 'pass the parcel' on where they can give him a fair trial.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    The Scottish, Welsh and Irish always seem very patriotic.

The English less so.

You're right. Many English people seem to be embarrassed to have any pride in the country, and many look at those who do as some kind of racists.

Americans do tend to have great national pride.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,323
    Forum Member
    Not quite as weird as hearing, "Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi!" at concerts.

:confused: A concert? I'm half Australian and can't explain that. Both Aussie, Aussie, Aussie and USA, USA, USA are annoying some times. i.e Usually anything other than a sporting event.
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right. Many English people seem to be embarrassed to have any pride in the country, and many look at those who do as some kind of racists.

I wouldn't say many but this is as a result of the St George's flag having been hijacked by certain political factions.

I am very proud to be English, British and actually European.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh, bull. God Save the Queen? Chariots of Fire? Jerusalem? Land of Hope and Glory? English Rose? I Vow to Thee, My Country? The ever popular and almost sanctimonious explanation to foreigners on how our unique sense of humour works? (I've been guilty of this charge, btw.) :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    It's a victory chant - everything becomes reduced to a 'ball game' - presumably a successful overtake is accompanied by USA USA USA, even if it's an all american affair.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    :confused: A concert? I'm half Australian and can't explain that. Both Aussie, Aussie, Aussie and USA, USA, USA are annoying some times. i.e Usually anything other than a sporting event.

Foreign bands attempting to ingratiate themselves to the locals by starting the chant. I can't imagine them starting the USA chant for some reason.
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember those rescued Chilean miners shouting

"Qi!"
    "Qi!"
    "Le!"
    "Le!"
    "Qi qi qi!"
    "Le le le!"

when rescued.

Maybe us English might have shouted something like

"Oh ay, oh ay oh ay oh ayyy! oh ay..oh ayyy!"

or

"En - ger - lund, En - ger -lund, En - ger - lund!"
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish they'd been as enthusiastic about catching the terrorists who made our lives hell for thirty years (instead of funding em) but ay, you can't have everything.;)
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't say many but this is as a result of the St George's flag having been hijacked by certain political factions.

I am very proud to be English, British and actually European.

You're probably right. It is mainly on forums and the like that England is always put down. For months before the Olympics we had prophets of doom telling us how no one cared about the Games, but when they came round, the silent majority spoke.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Oh, bull. God Save the Queen? Chariots of Fire? Jerusalem? Land of Hope and Glory? English Rose? I Vow to Thee, My Country? The ever popular and almost sanctimonious explanation to foreigners on how our unique sense of humour works? (I've been guilty of this charge, btw.) :D
    But we don't it it at the drop of a hat, just as Scots don't suddenly singing "Flower of Scotland". To me "USA, USA, USA" is the sound of the mob or the football crowd
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 48,014
    Forum Member

It's a post war thing. Empires were seen as a bad thing and they don't come much bigger than the English led British empire. I think that's muted the English public ever since. Apart from sport, going wild about England is generally frowned upon. There's a bit more flexibility with cheering for Britain but again it's sport or the Royal family. It's not just us though. The Germans and the Japanese try to not appear too nationalistic.

Americans always like to point out how they've never been an imperialist nation unlike the British and French and so feel free to be excessively patriotic at times.