Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    I think we will have the wedding, there were pictures of CC with a ring on (in the dress), Penhale was dressed in his No.1's, there was a flowered arch over the church entrance and a reception scene. This says proper wedding to me and not a dream or fake filming.
    Perhaps he storms out because of a medical emergency, or he forgot the rings in the taxi etc. I bet it's because he has to and not because he wants to. You can imagine the scene of Louisa waiting at the alter while he storms off to retrieve something and the guests are looking around, Louisa shares uneasy glances with he vicar. and then he comes back and apologizes to Louisa for having to leave - then they carry on. But I bet we have that bit (if he does storm out) where we are left hoping he comes back to seal the deal. I very much doubt after all they have been through and with James that he would throw it away. He knows this is his last chance with Louisa.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Excellent but might I add?
    DM wakes and realises its just where he wants to be. He wakes LG, he stares into her eyes, gently brushes a strand of hair from her face. LG sighs "Martin" and he leans in to kiss her...just as PC Penhale blunders through the woods to their little clearing.

Yeah, that'd be about right! More MarLou Interruptus!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pretty likely that I will need to be sedated before all of this is over. I am already a nervous wreck.:eek::eek:

Is there a Doctor in the house????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish a whole bunch of people would write some new fan fiction at warp speed. I need something new to read! :):)

I just wish the unfinished ones out there would get finished. I'm hanging by my fingernails trying to hold on. There are some really good ones that haven't ever gotten finished. Yeah, I know, writer's block, real life, etc. but I can hope still, can't I?:cry::cry::cry::)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we will have the wedding, there were pictures of CC with a ring on (in the dress), Penhale was dressed in his No.1's, there was a flowered arch over the church entrance and a reception scene. This says proper wedding to me and not a dream or fake filming.
    Perhaps he storms out because of a medical emergency, or he forgot the rings in the taxi etc. I bet it's because he has to and not because he wants to. You can imagine the scene of Louisa waiting at the alter while he storms off to retrieve something and the guests are looking around, Louisa shares uneasy glances with he vicar. and then he comes back and apologizes to Louisa for having to leave - then they carry on. But I bet we have that bit (if he does storm out) where we are left hoping he comes back to seal the deal. I very much doubt after all they have been through and with James that he would throw it away. He knows this is his last chance with Louisa.

I can't but feel you are somewhere near the mark here and that the wedding will go through at some point. We know BP tries to not repeat themselves, so another non-wedding would be just too exactly that.

As MC has said they always try to move the relationship forward. Now in what direction we have been surprised in past series, but the overall movement is forward, despite the sidesteps and seemingly backward motion at times throughout the different series. And the general forward motion to the relationship is them continuing up the loving road. So no matter what the particulars, I do think the love part is the basic sustaining piece. Now cue the writers to give us the entertaining intricacies of "The course of true love never did run smooth" (Lysander in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream)!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S5 e

Mother Knows Best

Writers: Chris Hurford & Tom Butterworth
    Director: Ben Bolt

It's Portwenn Fun Day and the village is buzzing with excitement about this major fund raising event. PC Penhale is in his element rallying the runners and whipping up support. The event sparks culinary rivalry between Bert Large who runs Large's restaurant with son Al and Mark, the landlord of the Crab and Lobster pub. They are both keen to take advantage of the day to boost their takings by providing food for the runners and spectators. Also, Louisa's mother arrives unexpected, And Martin and Louisa find their baby is sleeping through usual feeds until they find out her mother gave the baby some of her brew to calm it down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    S5 e

Mother Knows Best

Writers: Chris Hurford & Tom Butterworth
    Director: Ben Bolt

These two writers have been invited back to write 2 more eps for s6.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pretty likely that I will need to be sedated before all of this is over. I am already a nervous wreck.:eek::eek:
    Is there a Doctor in the house????

:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    i have noticed a lot of lumps and bumps under DM's suit. We know about the suspenders - but I have seen other things that look like microphone boxes, etc., especially if you look at his back. Have you noticed the lumps under the S5 Pajamas of Steel?

S5E4 pajamas and kiss on the cheek

I missed the post for our rewatch this week but assume we are on to S5E4 where Eleanor shows up.

This series starts with one of my absolute favorite scences - DM and the JH asleep in the car on the moor. And he is of course in the PJs of steel. :)

I just don't mind the pjsin this ep, he comes back with the baby and is fussing around in the kitchen in them, it just feels so natural.

Also - in this ep, Louisa is going out to the school and leaving JH with DM. When she leaves she kisses DM on the cheek and he looks at her so intently --- I don't think I had really noticed that before and don't know what to think of that look. Anyone else???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just wish the unfinished ones out there would get finished. I'm hanging by my fingernails trying to hold on. There are some really good ones that haven't ever gotten finished. Yeah, I know, writer's block, real life, etc. but I can hope still, can't I?:cry::cry::cry::)

I am with you, I began to not read the ones not complete but then when there is nothing new, well, you just go with what you have. And I so appreciate that there are so many DM fans who have so much writing talent!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Well, I'm not as emotionally involved in the wedding as apparently some of you on the Forum, but if they do not marry then how MC can prevent the world from yelling "SOAP OPERA!", I have no idea (considering it is one already, in my opinion).

The only thing that would make it more a soap opera than another non-wedding would be if they both married at least 5 times and then got back together.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    The only thing that would make it more a soap opera than another non-wedding would be if they both married at least 5 times and then got back together.

...and Aunty Joan would come back from the dead, except it is really her evil twin...and it turns out Penhale is really possessed by the devil.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just found this interesting interview with Sam North and another of his writing projects and interesting background.
    Looks like BP is keeping it local just like their online store products.
    http://www.bbpcreations.com/appleiphoneipadappscompanyblog/?p=424
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to clarify that it's not about my being emotionally involved in a wedding. I could live without a wedding. What I am emotionally involved in is the production being true to the characters and the show, and BP showing respect for their viewers. If they staged another non-wedding, I would feel that the PTB (Powers That Be) are just jerking us around, messing with the characters I want to believe in because they can.

They must know that they can make the audience happy with the wedding or super eternally pissed off at them if one doesn't occur. At some point, I think, creators need to care what the audience wants or needs to see, or they could be considered very, well, I don't know, rude, uncaring, self-centered?

Plus, why shoot a big money cow in the foot?

Obviously, the feedback from the S5 finale must have been clearly positive, as it was a wonderful ending. You'd think by now they'd "get" it; that we don't mind the ups and downs, but at the end want the ups to be higher than before.

Since I like to think, as I believe all the rest of you do, that both MC and BP do care, and aren't rude, having hope seems very logical.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member

Also - in this ep, Louisa is going out to the school and leaving JH with DM. When she leaves she kisses DM on the cheek and he looks at her so intently --- I don't think I had really noticed that before and don't know what to think of that look. Anyone else???

I adore that look he gives her. Later in the episode he touches her face, I like to think her kissing his check was a green light for him to allow physical contact. It seems perhaps she doesn't kiss him often, or he wouldn't be so shocked I guess.
    I also like how he seems happy that she kissed his check, perks him up a bit.:)
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had forgotten, or maybe not noticed before (so intent on pursuing the love story) how funny some of these episodes are. This one is also. I love the moment when the runner knocks the megaphone out of Penhale's hands.

Was there ever a more ominous ending in the series than "don't tell Martin" ?

This time around also, I spared a thought for Louisa's dilemma. I had always had sympathy for Martin -- his life turned upside down by a crying baby, the smell of "regurgitated breast milk", laundry drying in the kitchen etc., but poor Louisa also -- on somebody else's territory, no space to call her own, dealing with gadgets like the espresso machine that she doesn't understand, her parenting skills continually subject to moralistic carping like, "I told you where that comfort cuddling would lead," etc. And he's still harping at her to stay home with the baby.

Also in this episode, either Martin Clunes or Doc Martin looks pretty haggard. I'm not entirely sure it was done for effect.

And finally, what's the matter with cous-cous? Surely AR has encountered it before. A great grain!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I adore that look he gives her. Later in the episode he touches her face, I like to think her kissing his check was a green light for him to allow physical contact. It seems perhaps she doesn't kiss him often, or he wouldn't be so shocked I guess.
    I also like how he seems happy that she kissed his check, perks him up a bit.:)

OOOh, I like that thought. And I love when he touches her cheek, so romantic.

I see them as being very settled in this episode, comfortable with each other and with the circumstance. But then enter Eleanor (or as Ms T says, Eleeanor) and all hell breaks loose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DM actors before they were on Doc Martin - seen in the 1994 movie "Four Weddings and a Funeral"

David Haig (Mr. Strain - the mad head master - Season 4 - episode 1) played Bernard the groom in wedding #2

Sophie Thompson (Tasha the dancing instructor- season 4 - episode 8) played Lydia the vomiting bride in wedding #2
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I popped into Port Issac on Tuesday 16th April but no filming was being done.

However, ( sorry if this has already been posted), but filming on the first three episodes will take place as follows:

Fri 26 April 8am - 7pm - around the School Hotel and Halwyn House

Tues 30 April 8.30am -11am Fern Cottage, then Fore Street in the afternoon

Wed 1 May 8am - 7pm In morning near Port Gaverne Hotel, and in afternnon near Boat House stores

Thurs 2 May 8am - 7pm Port Gaverne,and the Edge Restaurant

Fri 3 May 8am -7pm Near the Pea Pod and Sibbys Rose Hill in the afternoon

Tues 7 May 8am - 7pm in and near Pride of Place all day

Thurs 9 May 8am - 11am Fern Cotage on Roscarrock Hill, then back in the studio.

I would have loved to see some of the filming being done , but regretably I won't be able to go along on these dates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »
    DM actors before they were on Doc Martin - seen in the 1994 movie "Four Weddings and a Funeral"

David Haig (Mr. Strain - the mad head master - Season 4 - episode 1) played Bernard the groom in wedding #2

Sophie Thompson (Tasha the dancing instructor- season 4 - episode 8) played Lydia the vomiting bride in wedding #2

I love finding our DM family in other places. I assume we all know that Sophie is sister to Emma Thompson.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Family Way

My PBS station was rerunning this episode last night and I had not watched it for a while. I was struck by the opposites of DMs parents and the joy of Roger Fenn in learning of Maureen's pregnancy. I know this has been mentioned many times in this forum but it is interesting to note that I can still be moved by how well the story lines are interwoven. It says so much about why we love this series - the stories, writing, and acting impress us no matter how many times we see them.
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had multiple requests to upload this so I finally worked on it yesterday. Here's the link to part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ87BO8MSbo
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love finding our DM family in other places. I assume we all know that Sophie is sister to Emma Thompson.

Yes - and their mother played Mrs McLynn.

A couple of friends recommended the series "Jam & Jerusalem" so I have watched a couple of episodes so far on YT. Funny series - reminds me a bit of DM, but wackier. It is filmed in a town in Devon quite near Cornwall and the residents could be Portwenians. It is a French & Saunders production and Dawn French is hilarious - Joanna Lumley is also in it and she is a very wacky character - possibly the worst church organist ever :D. Part is set in a doctor's surgery and in the 2nd episode someone working in the surgery seems to have a bit of a blood phobia.

But DM family - one of the characters is played by the actress who played DM's first patient ("Collect 1,000 loyalty points, you get a free coffin"). And in E4, Shirley Dunwich shows up as a patient.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    I've had multiple requests to upload this so I finally worked on it yesterday. Here's the link to part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ87BO8MSbo

OMG Connie! You are a star! I've been dying to see this - will dive in later today!
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »

Shop Girl wrote: »
    Yes - and their mother played Mrs McLynn.

A couple of friends recommended the series "Jam & Jerusalem" so I have watched a couple of episodes so far on YT. Funny series - reminds me a bit of DM, but wackier. It is filmed in a town in Devon quite near Cornwall and the residents could be Portwenians. It is a French & Saunders production and Dawn French is hilarious - Joanna Lumley is also in it and she is a very wacky character - possibly the worst church organist ever :D. Part is set in a doctor's surgery and in the 2nd episode someone working in the surgery seems to have a bit of a blood phobia.

But DM family - one of the characters is played by the actress who played DM's first patient ("Collect 1,000 loyalty points, you get a free coffin"). And in E4, Shirley Dunwich shows up as a patient.

I decided to watch Midsomer Murders on Netflix and the very first scene was Ian McNiece playing a doctor. :D. It's series 4, episode 4, 'Who Killed Cock Robin'. I just started it but he appears to be a central character in this ep.
This discussion has been closed.