Options

The most you've ever tipped?

HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
Forum Member
✭✭
The most money you've ever tipped someone? Be it a waitress, takeaway guy, cleaner, gardener etc....?

The most i ever tipped someone was £50. I was at a restaurant in Brighton last summer (a very nice, swanky one in the famous Lanes)

I don't have alot of money, and i'm far from rich but this waitress (must have been new) was so nervous, she dropped a bowl of soup at one point, bless her. When she came to our table, taking our order she almost had tears in her eyes, she must of been having a real bad day (the manager of the restaurant wasn't helping either, he was awful to her)

Anyway when she came to our table with the bill, i told her to 'take this (a £50 note) and that she was doing great'

Soooo whats the most you've ever tipped someone? And why?

Comments

• Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    HaloJoe wrote: »
    The most money you've ever tipped someone? Be it a waitress, takeaway guy, cleaner, gardener etc....?

The most i ever tipped someone was £50. I was at a restaurant in Brighton last summer (a very nice, swanky one in the famous Lanes)

I don't have alot of money, and i'm far from rich but this waitress (must have been new) was so nervous, she dropped a bowel of soup at one point, bless her. When she came to our table, taking our order she almost had tears in her eyes, she must of been having a real bad day (the manager of the restaurant wasn't helping either, he was awful to her)

Anyway when she came to our table with the bill, i told her to 'take this (a £50 note) and that she was doing great'

I wouldn't have tipped her for that! My god, imagine the mess and the smell !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't remember, something like 15% on top of a bill totalling £400 odd. I've signed off something significantly higher as part of a work function so that doesn't count....something like 15% on top of a bill well over £1,000.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    I wouldn't have tipped her for that! My god, imagine the mess and the smell !

Soup (on the hole) smells nice, Jane?
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't have alot of money, and i'm far from rich but this waitress (must have been new) was so nervous, she dropped a bowel of soup at one point, bless her. When she came to our table, taking our order she almost had tears in her eyes, she must of been having a real bad day (the manager of the restaurant wasn't helping either, he was awful to her)

but you tipped £50 quid? ,,,hmmm
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About 90 quid or summat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once tipped a waitress 30 euros in Crete. We'd been having a drink in this open area cocktail bar overlooking the sea. Somehow I managed to drop my wallet and didn't realise til I got back the the hotel. Massive panic as it had a load of spending cash (500 euros, plus all my cards etc). So I went back to the bar and discovered she'd found it and put it behind the bar. Saved our holiday really. I gave her 20 euros, then another 10, then even tried to give her 10 more but she just looked embarrassed and refused. Amazing honesty, really, 500 euros would have been a lot to a waitress.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Which hole? :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »
    but you tipped £50 quid? ,,,hmmm

I did? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member

It certainly won't if it's coming from the bowel. And which hole are you talking about?
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a tip, really, but £280 to a hotel waiter for working as my translator at last minute when the appointed translator failed to turn up.

The hotel manager was awesome for letting him have time off to attend the conference with me. The waiter did a really great job, too. The money was meant for the translator who didn't turn up, so it went to the waiter instead. A win for us both. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Which hole? :eek:

Lol, nah it wasn't a 'hole' - it was quite a nice restaurant :D
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, yes. According to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It certainly won't if it's coming from the bowel. And which hole are you talking about?

Really? A little typo?

That all you got? Jane? :sleep:
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,268
    Forum Member
    I did make it to £1.50 once but never again.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave the Mehindi Lady at my brother's wedding £100.

I think that's the most I've ever tipped. My Dad's a psycho tipper, he thinks people work better or are likely to perform a service better if you give them a 'bonus' or they know they're likely to receive that bonus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really? A little typo?

That all you got? Jane? :sleep:

Oh, you don't like humour? Fair enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    Well, yes. According to you.

That's right?
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't imagine tipping £50. But then I'm not exactly well off. Infact I'm ridiculously poor lately.

I do try and tip 10% if I can, but if a meal cost £500 then I most certainly would not be paying it alone :p
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's right?

That's right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, you don't like humour? Fair enough.

What? Yes i love humour? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's right?

Are these supposed to be questions, only they sound like statements?
  • Options
    RedRose9191RedRose9191 Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of quid I think, at the most.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What? Yes i love humour? :confused:

Why all the question marks? Is your keyboard knackered?

What are you confused about?
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    35 dollars to a guy who took us out on a boat in the Everglades.
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are these supposed to be questions, only they sound like statements?

why would you tip 50 pounds if you claim not to be rich?