Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They Talk a lot but only really on football (ad nauseam) or cricket or golf tbh.....

Anyway Tony livesey now giving way to the despair that will be Nolan......but last night was great....really showed his tabloid editor roots & went for Tessa Dunlop ...he said was playing devil s advocate but he really went for her over benefits...

.saying well what's the alternative - doing nothing? Is that what you're saying? People like you moan & offer no choices ...etc.
    She was speechless...which is a welcome change from her constant yapping when she doesn't let anyone get a word in.....priceless.....if only he'd done it more....was a last day in school opportunity I think .....brilliant...... :)
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,183
    Forum Member
    Black Crow wrote: »
    I find it amazing that two nights on 5 Live 'Sport' they haven't had any actual live commentary despite several games of football and rugby league taking place.

On Wednesday they a reporter and a summariser at two games, but no actual commentary on the Premier league games but had 3 studio guests talking about the games. Tonight, there is a Championship game, which is on Sports Extra and a SPL game and rugby league Challange Cup starts - but they are talking about sport, again with 3 guests in the studio!

Give us some actual sport and stop talking about it!

Talksport has the commentary rights to Wednesday's game. 5live did sound a bit like a radio version of Sky's Soccer Saturday on that evening though.
  • Options
    franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it amazing that two nights on 5 Live 'Sport' they haven't had any actual live commentary despite several games of football and rugby league taking place.

On Wednesday they a reporter and a summariser at two games, but no actual commentary on the Premier league games but had 3 studio guests talking about the games. Tonight, there is a Championship game, which is on Sports Extra and a SPL game and rugby league Challange Cup starts - but they are talking about sport, again with 3 guests in the studio!

Where's the like button? What a waste of rights fees to not use them and talk more about football with a load of below average pundits.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hillsborough-campaigner-anne-williams-remembered-1838984
    As has been posted up above, 5Live can't do Weds commentaries.

As for the talk, there is a remit for 5Live to have sports discussion and not just live action. There's also a limited national interest to Hull/Bristol City & an SPL game where both are on TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usual disappointment in breakfast bulletins no mention of either youngest ever pole winner in motorcycle GP in Spaniard Marc Marquez but more importantly Britain Scott Redding in his first ever pole position in Moto 2..... least didn't have to hear Charlie Cox' s nonsense about it all though.... :p
  • Options
    AL89AL89 Posts: 2,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i really like JVS
  • Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/hillsborough-campaigner-anne-williams-remembered-1838984
    As has been posted up above, 5Live can't do Weds commentaries.

As for the talk, there is a remit for 5Live to have sports discussion and not just live action. There's also a limited national interest to Hull/Bristol City & an SPL game where both are on TV.

I didn't know they couldn't do Weds commentaries, so why send a commentator and a summariser to a game, surely just a reporter/commentator would do?

I don't mind 'sports discussion' but it was just football talk, and surely highlighting a game with 'limited national interest' IS something that 5Live should be doing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know they couldn't do Weds commentaries, so why send a commentator and a summariser to a game, surely just a reporter/commentator would do?

I don't mind 'sports discussion' but it was just football talk, and surely highlighting a game with 'limited national interest' IS something that 5Live should be doing.

There's 3 games on, they need to fill air time so they add a few pundits on/off site to add to discussion.

They often have more than just football on a Friday including cycling and extreme sports. However, bar F1, there's not a lot of big non-football stuff on this week.

In terms of football, I think 5Live have enough games on without needing to have it on a Friday also. Events of 'limited interest' should be broadcast but I think there's enough football on and it was on Sports Extra. I'm a big football fan too.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll lay my cards on the table, I am firmly in agreement with Black Crow and Franchise when it comes to Radio 5 Live prioritising live sport ahead of studio-based football discussions - particularly when it comes to their Friday evening preview which on the occasions I have heard it brings very little to the table.

But even if I was to play devil's advocate and try and support Col's viewpoint in general terms, how can you call a game in which Hull City had the opportunity to push themselves to the brink of promotion to the Premier League as being of "limited national interest"? For me a game like that one is of a larger interest than many Premier League fixtures involving mid-table teams which they have provided a commentary on. Even given their "form" when it comes to Friday night Championship games, I was surprised this game wasn't covered as a commentary game on 5 Live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pity Green is no longer doing 606. I would have liked to listen to him defending Suarez yesterday.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve McClaren welcome. Lets hope its the end of Savage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pity Green is no longer doing 606. I would have liked to listen to him defending Suarez yesterday.

From BBC Sport's live text

You tell me. Alan Green, on BBC Radio 5 live, says Liverpool should ban Suarez for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Bacon's handling of the Rugby League Challenge Cup draw was disgraceful. Apologetic that it was getting in the way of his programme and did no research on his guest, the legendary Billy Boston.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are 5 Live persisting with 2 commentators?
    It's a complete waste of money and ruins the commentary when the words 'and here's Alan Green....'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Why are 5 Live persisting with 2 commentators?
    It's a complete waste of money and ruins the commentary when the words 'and here's Alan Green....'

They are phasing it out. This season, only Sun 4pm, Mon 8pm and some CL games have had 2 comms plus some FA Cup/Legaue Cup games.

From next season, it's 1 comm for all games I think (or most of them).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are phasing it out. This season, only Sun 4pm, Mon 8pm and some CL games have had 2 comms plus some FA Cup/Legaue Cup games.

From next season, it's 1 comm for all games I think (or most of them).
    When I reconsider my position.....90 minutes of Green :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I reconsider my position.....90 minutes of Green :eek:

I don't think he'll be there past next season, his and Mike Ingham's contracts end in 2014 (as reported a few times by Charles Sale) so I think either one or both will go then, or one/both of their roles will change.

Green is actually a fine commentator, some people just can't see past the fact that he has an opinion and airs it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he'll be there past next season, his and Mike Ingham's contracts end in 2014 (as reported a few times by Charles Sale) so I think either one or both will go then, or one/both of their roles will change.

Green is actually a fine commentator, some people just can't see past the fact that he has an opinion and airs it.

I don't like him. He's too negative and too clear about where his loyalties lie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is that before or after the World Cup? It would be nice to have every commentator wanting England to win (assuming we get there).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I don't like him. He's too negative and too clear about where his loyalties lie.

The trouble with Green is that he is very critical when people make mistakes especially referees, assistants etc... but when he makes a mistake in commentary or in 606 (and he does make loads) and someone points it out he flips. I have come to the conclusion he cannot take personal critisism but likes pointing it out when others mess up.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree - It's refreshing to have a commentator with a dash of personality thrown in.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But he doesn't have an opinion when it's Liverpool involved. 'Ban him to the end of the season' isn't much punishment for a team whose season ended in February. He took off his headphones at the end of the game on sunday and walked out, taking no part at all in the post match discussion. He's a biased rent a gob and the sooner he's shuffled out the better
  • Options
    Ian F 2012Ian F 2012 Posts: 190
    Forum Member

I really don't agree, and it's not about his alleged bias either. I find that something annoys him ( the England band, a loud PA system, something done by the referee/assistant referee etc) and he then bangs on about it ad nauseum. He seems to think the listener is more interested in his views than the football. When a commentator gets in the way of a listeners enjoyment of a game rather than enhancing it, it is time to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night's show.....

Which famous person have you wee' d next to in public...... ??? :eek:

Seriously? Tony really showing his Sunday sport roots......

Julian Worricker, Jane Garvey, Fi Glover......you've done well getting away......

Is that really what it's come down to? I don't mind the odd fluffy silly text in but that was just inane and moronic and an embarrassment...... :o
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    Last night's show.....

Which famous person have you wee' d next to in public...... ??? :eek:

Fortunately I never got to hear the outcome of this nugget of information.Livesey obviously has a strange obsession with bodily functions and is on a par with the last time I tuned in and he posed the most notable of questions in asking.......' phone in or text the show if you have ever urinated in public ? '.The level of broadcasting on 5live must improve with Phil Williams soon to be taking over the late night hot seat, surely to god..........? I live forever in hope !
This discussion has been closed.