Andre's "suffering"

Comments

• Options
    Azura's StarAzura's Star Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow... who's working for who there?

Exactly.
    And IF he's using the "excuse" of Claire keeping on at him about cancer awareness, WHY didn't he spend the time promoting IT, instead of himself and his tatty little series?
  • Options
    di60di60 Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    That's exactly what I said ..she is employed by him not him by her

perhaps there's a clause that ensures she does his thinking for him too?

I actually thought it interesting that he distanced himself from that :cool:
  • Options
    Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly.
    And IF he's using the "excuse" of Claire keeping on at him about cancer awareness, WHY didn't he spend the time promoting IT, instead of himself and his tatty little series?

It was the "martyr"syndrome again wasn't it..poor Pete needs a break but decides to soldier on ... So transparent these days
  • Options
    cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was the "martyr"syndrome again wasn't it..poor Pete needs a break but decides to soldier on ... So transparent these days

only to some:) he probably had a meeting with Claire, cried and she said..ok pete, lets blame me and while we are at it I'm upping my commission to 75%;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yup.
    You know the old saying "There are none so blind as those who will not see".
    (Especially those scrabbling around to justify the shameless famewhoring of a shameless famewhore).
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    60 minute disaster!
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup.
    You know the old saying "There are none so blind as those who will not see".
    (Especially those scrabbling around to justify the shameless famewhoring of a shameless famewhore).

Especially when that justification involves comparing them to another famewhore to prove they can't be a famwhore because they are not as famewhorish
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Precisely.
    I just can't understand how anyone can even attempt to justify why the foundation wasn't named after Andrew.
    As a previous poster pointed out, the charity Ronan Keating set up is named after his mother.
    I am assuming that she wasn't famous or well known - as far as I'm aware she hadn't been featured in a "Ronan Keating My Tawdry Life"-type programme.
    People who were already aware of Andrew Andre may well have been MORE inclined to donate to the charity set up in his honour and his name.
    It would have been just as easy for PA to publicise the charity if it was called after Andrew.
    Many people would actually have preferred to donate to Andrew's charity than one named after PA - by all accounts Andrew was a very likeable guy and HIS story should have been at the forefront.
    But no, it just had to be named after the "internationally renowned megastar" PA.:rolleyes:
    He's NOT publicising the charity.
    He's publicising himself.

this ^^^ exactly, still cant get over the blatantly obsessive selfish behaviour hes quite openly shown on a web page that should have been dedicated to Andrew on a separate site !!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Especially when that justification involves comparing them to another famewhore to prove they can't be a famwhore because they are not as famewhorish

Quite.
    And anyone daring to suggest otherwise is either jealous, a crypto-fan of one famewhore or the other, a bully, or a member of a secret underground organisation whose sole purpose is to bring down the famewhore in question.
    Obviously.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    SenseiSamSenseiSam Posts: 3,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    I can see where you're coming from, Cym, but he hasn't changed the name, he's added a page to publicise the Foundation in which he outlines the remit and links to Cancer Research and a giving facility, and that imo is reasonable enough to kickstart things.

But I did shake my head at the page itself because of the total absence of Andrew on it? :confused: Why is there a pic of PA on a page about a Foundation dedicated to his brother?? Seriously, what is wrong with him that he can't see how self-serving this looks? So I'm not surprised your reaction is as it is. And not surprised also that it's not exactly heaving with donations.

I would change that page immediately, give Andrew top billing with a good sized pic of him (just him, no PA) a dedicated paragraph or so about the person he was - so important when you're trying to raise money in someone's name - followed by the remit of the Foundation, the links to CR and the Just Giving page. I suspect it might also attract more donations if they did that. And if PA can't bear the idea of not having his own pic on there, then at least include one with all the brothers, since they also are being totally ignored here.

As you say Lexi it's a starting point. Personally I like the fact that their first priority is getting the mobile units out on the road and doing their work. We'll have to see how the website and fundraising develops. I'm sure they must have a plan for how the money will be raised and are not relying on donations to a Just Giving page to raise half a million pounds.

As for the current page, most of the paragraphs relate to the core message of 'know your body' and the work the foundation will be doing and the personal background seems to have been kept deliberately brief. Perhaps he's been motivated to get involved because of Andrew's experience but doesn't want to put the focus on that because the key points he wants to get across are that cancer can affect anybody and early detection saves lives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SenseiSam wrote: »
    As you say Lexi it's a starting point. Personally I like the fact that their first priority is getting the mobile units out on the road and doing their work. We'll have to see how the website and fundraising develops. I'm sure they must have a plan for how the money will be raised and are not relying on donations to a Just Giving page to raise half a million pounds.

As for the current page, most of the paragraphs relate to the core message of 'know your body' and the work the foundation will be doing and the personal background seems to have been kept deliberately brief. Perhaps he's been motivated to get involved because of Andrew's experience but doesn't want to put the focus on that because the key points he wants to get across is that cancer can affect anybody and early detection saves lives.

If he does want to help and raise awareness, maybe he would have been better off getting involved and lending his support to an established, well know cancer charity and using his fame to promote their work rather than starting out on his own. Much of what he is doing is already done by other charities so it might have been better to help support and advertise those services than something independent which relies on his fame to promote it? Not criticizing him for wanting to do something but I'm just not sure what he is doing is the most effective way.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As for the current page, most of the paragraphs relate to the core message of 'know your body' and the work the foundation will be doing and the personal background seems to have been kept deliberately brief. Perhaps he's been motivated to get involved because of Andrew's experience but doesn't want to put the focus on that because the key points he wants to get across are that cancer can affect anybody and early detection saves lives.

So, he ignores his dead brother and emphasises his own name? Has he been diagnosed with cancer and saved by an early diagnosis??
  • Options
    Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=SenseiSam;65Perhaps he's been motivated to get involved because of Andrew's experience but doesn't want to put the focus on that because the key points he wants to get across are that cancer can affect anybody and early detection saves lives.[/QUOTE]

Whilst I applaud his idea ..I don't think he or whoever did that website has thought it through properly
    There is no advice on what to look out for/signs of the cancer Andrew died of
    no advice on treatment ..
    Not even Andrews story ..yet it's supposed to be a foundation in his memory
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    If he does want to help and raise awareness, maybe he would have been better off getting involved and lending his support to an established, well know cancer charity and using his fame to promote their work rather than starting out on his own. Much of what he is doing is already done by other charities so it might have been better to help support and advertise those services than something independent which relies on his fame to promote it? Not criticizing him for wanting to do something but I'm just not sure what he is doing is the most effective way.

It's in partnership with Cancer Research who are running the Spot Cancer Early campaign and funding other mobile units around the country. Pete has a clearly defined pledge of funding the London unit which seems a sensible target to start with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I applaud his idea ..I don't think he or whoever did that website has thought it through properly
    There is no advice on what to look out for/signs of the cancer Andrew died of
    no advice on treatment ..
    Not even Andrews story ..yet it's supposed to be a foundation in his memory

The Cancer Research website he links to has plenty of advice Betty. Seems much better to me to leave that side of things to the experts and concentrate on raising money for the practical project. As I said previously, perhaps he's not focussing attention on Andrew at this point because he wants the emphasis to be on the message Cancer Research are trying to get across.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Cancer Research website he links to has plenty of advice Betty. Seems much better to me to leave that side of things to the experts and concentrate on raising money for the practical project. As I said previously, perhaps he's not focussing attention on Andrew at this point because he wants the emphasis to be on the message Cancer Research are trying to get across.

Of course it is.:rolleyes:
    That's why he named it after himself.
    Because calling something the PETER ANDRE foundation is the perfect way of emphasising the message he is trying to get across.
    Provided that the message is all about HIM.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sensei, there's 'brief' and then there's practically invisible!

From a fundraising perspective, it lacks the personal component. We should know, at absolute minimum, from visiting that page, who Andrew was, how old he was, when he died and the type of cancer he had. It's a crucial part of engaging people, to see the person behind the Foundation. As I said earlier, it would have been so easy to provide that snapshot of Andrew as the intro, followed by details of what PA's focusing on, followed by the links, without it taking up any more space.

Pete doesn't need to get key points across, no one is dependant upon PA to tell them what 99% of the population already knows about cancer's lack of discrimination and how early detection is paramount - that's what Cancer Research is for. Pete just needs to focus on what he's doing and why he's doing it - Andrew - and leave the educating to those who can.

It's just very poorly thought through imo. Which is a shame because it would take so little to make it right.
  • Options
    Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it is.:rolleyes:
    That's why he named it after himself.
    Because calling something the PETER ANDRE foundation is the perfect way of emphasising the message he is trying to get across.
    Provided that the message is all about HIM.

Its crazy, they could have even called it The Andre Foundation and have it be for both of them if he wanted his name in it that much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its crazy, they could have even called it The Andre Foundation and have it be for both of them if he wanted his name in it that much.

Good point Cyril. Although I can't knock him for trying to do something, I just find him very, very naive in the way he goes about it. Its like he just blunders in with no real clue about how and what he really wants to achieve
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see him on Jonathan Ross last night but from what I gather he came over not too bad, however I suspect JR will now be referred to as "My good mate JR" in his column next week.

The whole point of the JR show is to promote other ITV shows, BGT etc. He always says he loves them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    He also said that after his brother died he told Claire that he wanted to take six months off but she kept on at him about cancer awareness so in the end he agreed and didn't take a long absence, something like that anyway

Maybe its his way of saying he sees it and pointing out who is telling him to do this stuff, i dunno. Though as people say, he's 40 and meant to be the boss. Ultimately its down to him, well, theoretically.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd imagine Cancer Research are pretty discriminating about entering into 'celebrity' partnerships and that guarantees would have to be made. I doubt they'd allow their name to be associated with something that they felt hadn't been fully thought through and that was only being done on a whim to generate short term publicity. He's made a long term commitment so perhaps the best time to judge is at the end of the first year.

You'd think so. In practice it tends not to work that way. Have had experience of one of the other big cancer charities and one of the big kids ones. They start off having all the moral stuff about the cause and what the charity will and wont get into. But usually their celebrity co-ordinator is an ex showbiz PR who has to get as much celeb support as they can and generally if the names big enough they'll go with anything - if the celeb seems really flaky they'll just bung them onto an existing project that they know will be completed anyway.

A lot of these charities are a bit shameless - i dont particularly agree with them employing third party fundraising companies who get paid on commission and harrass people (even grabbing them) in the street. Morally and PR wise, very bad - but obviously desperate times, desperate measures - they turn a blind eye to all that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Pete doesn't need to get key points across, no one is dependant upon PA to tell them what 99% of the population already knows about cancer's lack of discrimination and how early detection is paramount - that's what Cancer Research is for. Pete just needs to focus on what he's doing and why he's doing it - Andrew - and leave the educating to those who can.

Lexi, if 99% were aware and taking action there would be no need for the campaign :). I've already said that Cancer Research are the experts and that Pete's role is to raise money to support their Roadshow. The Foundation has only just been launched so from what I can see the current webpage's purpose is simply to announce that, give the essential details and an initial means of donating.

We'll have to see whether they choose to focus on Andrew when fundraising but I agree with previous posters that Pete's name has a greater recognition factor. My interpretation is that the family want to do something positive to honour his memory by helping to spread awareness of the early signs of cancer rather than raise awareness of Andrew's personal story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My interpretation is that the family want to do something positive to honour his memory by helping to spread awareness of the early signs of cancer rather than raise awareness of Andrew's personal story.

Arent the personal stories what really get into peoples heads and get them to act though. ie. Jade Goody and Smear Test numbers going up?
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arent the personal stories what really get into peoples heads and get them to act though. ie. Jade Goody and Smear Test numbers going up?

yes, but Jade Goody was very well known wasn't she and it was all over the press.

Peter Andre's brother was not.
This discussion has been closed.