Apple getting desperate

Comments

• Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Minority? I dont think so!!

Apple users can be ignorant. Very ignorant.

3G, don't need it. Edge was fast enough. Gets 3G, its superb.

MMS? Don't need it. Email is much better. Gets MMS - superb!

Card readers on macbooks? No need. Easier to take out a cable, unravel it, plug it into the macbook and camera to take pics off. Now they have card readers, its superb.

Yes, minority.

Unless you think that the majority of Apple users could reasonably be described as being part of a cult?

Good Q&A, although I'd be curious as to who you are actually quoting there, or why you're having to rely on the most glaring omissions from years ago.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you think the majority of people who own Apple products could be described as cult-like? Really?

Of course, cult-like is not literal. I've yet of hear of anyone stop speaking to the family following the purchase of an ipad.

It is a reasonable metaphor for the behaviour of a proportion of Apple purchasers, who most likely fall along a spectrum between having logos cut into the haircut at one end and purchasers with no brand loyalty but who have carefully evaluated the functionality provided by Apple and its competitors and determined that an Apple product is the best match for their needs.

Bell-curve I'd say ;)
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Yes, minority.

I disagree.
    Unless you think that the majority of Apple users could reasonably be described as being part of a cult?

I'd say a good portion of them yes.
    Good Q&A, although I'd be curious as to who you are actually quoting there, or why you're having to rely on the most glaring omissions from years ago.

I'm quoting people on here in past years, other forums i read and people i know personally.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    So you think the majority of people who own Apple products could be described as cult-like? Really?
    Yes, minority.

Why must you take it to the extreme this is the kind of thing I actually talking about.

Not saying all apple buyers are cult members not does it apply to everyone. I do think some of the apple supporters on here show a distinct unwillingness to be objective about things. The reality is that it does apply to Apple more than other companies just look at the amount of satire that is out there with reference to Apple loyalty from the obvious Samsung ads, mainstream media commenting on the phenomena to shows such as Simpson parodying it.

If you are objective about it you would realise that for the iPhone to sell say as well as say s3, one X, Lumia etc all put together has to be more than just the merits of the product alone surely.....? It is not that good in of itself above all of them.... no?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Why must you take it to the extreme this is the kind of thing I actually talking about.

I would point out that it isn't me taking things to the extreme at all. That it was Stiggles who said cult-like Apple product owners aren't in a minority, and I was responding to that. But then, you already know that and have chosen to ignore it.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would think that having been 'fooled' into buying an iphone that doesn't do what they need, apple owners would learn a lesson.

Amazing really that Apple maintain such high customer satisfaction levels and customer loyalty.

Maybe they do actually provide what the customer wants?
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    You could argue that as you wait till autumn for the next iPhone.
    Quite likely the network quota contracts will preclude any new phone arriving until then.

Personally I think its the Ones and S4 where people actually buy what they want. There is now an accepting nature with the iPhone, so that will be a more straightforward upgrade contract for very many.
    They will simply buy it because that is what they normally do.

Saying that, with the US sales being so successful its quite possible every other country has already suffering the iDecline.
    Sales are quite polarised.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    You would think that having been 'fooled' into buying an iphone that doesn't do what they need, apple owners would learn a lesson.

Amazing really that Apple maintain such high customer satisfaction levels and customer loyalty.

But if the majority of customers are like you there is almost nothing apple could do that would make you unhappy as has been evidenced by this thread.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Quite likely the network quota contracts will preclude any new phone arriving until then.

Personally I think its the Ones and S4 where people actually buy what they want. There is now an accepting nature with the iPhone, so that will be a more straightforward upgrade contract for very many.

Saying that, with the US sales being so successful its quite possible every other country has already suffering the iDecline.

I've never been fooled into buying any Apple products. At the moment I have an ipad mini and an ipod touch. I've had iphones in the past. I'm also using a samsung galaxy note as my phone and I have a samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1 tablet. I have the Apple products because they fullfill some of my needs and I have the samsung products because they fullfill some of my other needs. I buy what suits me simple as. I will not remain loyal to any brand if they can't fullfill my needs and I'm not afraid to switch and mox and match.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree.

I'd say a good portion of them yes.

I'm quoting people on here in past years, other forums i read and people i know personally.

You disagree, and think that a majority of people who own an Apple product could reasonably be described as being cult like.

That is utterly ridiculous.

Unless you think its reasonable to take the views of a minority who have posted on internet forums, and extrapolate that to apply to a majority of people who own an Apple product.

Which I would completely disagree with, and think was an utterly absurd conclusion to reach.

You may as well say you've read cult nonsense by some Americans on the internet, and conclude that the majority of Americans belong to a cult.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »

Not saying all apple buyers are cult members not does it apply to everyone. I do think some of the apple supporters on here show a distinct unwillingness to be objective about things. The reality is that it does apply to Apple more than other companies just look at the amount of satire that is out there with reference to Apple loyalty from the obvious Samsung ads, mainstream media commenting on the phenomena to shows such as Simpson parodying it.

If you are objective about it you would realise that for the iPhone to sell say as well as say s3, one X, Lumia etc all put together has to be more than just the merits of the product alone surely.....? It is not that good in of itself above all of them.... no?

Again, its not us taking things to extremes, when Stiggles is the one happy to label the majority of people with Apple products as being "cult like".

I don't think the amount of satire tells us very much except that there probably is a minority of Apple nuts, and that Apple is currently an easy target. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be sure there's a direct correlation between "number of Apple nuts" and "amount of satire about Apple nuts".

Only in your opinion.

Even if its down to good marketing, so what? Although I think its probably down to a combination of good marketing, high quality products, and ease of use.

The point that we're veering away from is the one about people seemingly finding it difficult to accept that many people might be perfectly happy to buy an Apple product despite it not having particular features, because they consider what it does have to be more important than what it doesn't have.

That doesn't mean they are idiots.

That doesn't mean they must be oblivious to what those features are.

That doesn't mean they would want a product with those features if they weren't too busy being conned by Apple.

In the majority of cases it just means that people place value on different things to some of the people posting in this discussion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

See, what is it with this arrogant attitude that people who buy iPhones are doing anything other than *buying the phone they want*?

Its utter nonsense.

Figures may have changed more recently, but there were figures that actually supported the exact opposite, based on the proportion of web browsing done on iOS and Android.

Basically a disproportionate amount of browsing was done via iOS, suggesting that more people in the market for a smartphone where choosing iOS, whereas more people who were simply in the market for a new phone were being upsold to a smartphone with features they perhaps didn't need, or at least weren't using so much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, so what. People should certainly buy what they want, not what they are encouraged to want.
    There will always a positive case to buy an iPhone.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/29/uk_q1_2013_kantar_worldpanel_smartphone_sales/

Yet this confirms much of that prior thought. In just one year Apple UK went down from 50%+ to 29% whilst Android marches towards 60%.
    And looking at those figures, if Microsoft gains at the same rate even they will pass Apple early next year!

Unlikely and whilst there is that trend I suspect the remaining Apple buyers will buy out the established need to compliment their existing Apple ecosystem.

BTW you forget to mention that iPhone's Safari bans the 'desktop web'. Obviously Mobile web figures are permanently quite screwed one way. Yup, seemingly, even lack of base function gets sold as a major Apple positive.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    You disagree, and think that a majority of people who own an Apple product could reasonably be described as being cult like.

That is utterly ridiculous.

Unless you think its reasonable to take the views of a minority who have posted on internet forums, and extrapolate that to apply to a majority of people who own an Apple product.

Which I would completely disagree with, and think was an utterly absurd conclusion to reach.

You may as well say you've read cult nonsense by some Americans on the internet, and conclude that the majority of Americans belong to a cult.

Question.

What are you basing your views on?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Question.

Common sense, I would have thought. What are you basing yours on? What makes you think that out of the 85 million or so iPhones that were sold over the last two quarters, more than half of the owners are cult-like? It's an utterly absurd notion.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Common sense, I would have thought. What are you basing yours on? What makes you think that out of the 85 million or so iPhones that were sold over the last two quarters, more than half of the owners are cult-like? It's an utterly absurd notion.

Unfortuneatly on this forum there are a few members who have no common sense and just spout rubbish.

Yes, there are a few people slightly obsessed with Apple products but I think the majority of people like Apple products because they make good products. Nothing cultish about it.

Some posters on here even think own some Apple phone ot tablet purely becasue I disagree with them! LOL
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See, what is it with this arrogant attitude that people who buy iPhones are doing anything other than *buying the phone they want*?
    err reading your posts, its a needle permanently stuck on a old vinyl record here.

Some of us are actually interested in the tech though I do quite wonder if you make the owners squirm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Question.

As IslandNiles says, common sense.

I have no reason whatsoever to believe that the majority of people who buy Apple products have not simply bought those products because they like them, and think that they provide what they want / need.

Or that they have actually bought products they do not really want, or need, because like members of a cult they have somehow been brainwashed into buying them by Apple.

It beggars belief that you, or anyone, would see that the latter as a more plausible explanation than the form for the majority of Apple's sales.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    err reading your posts, its a needle permanently stuck on a old vinyl record here.

Some of us are actually interested in the tech though I do quite wonder if you make the owners squirm.

I have no idea what that post has to do with the post you quoted, or why it is that you don't think that people who buy iPhones have simply bought the phone the wanted to buy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, so what. People should certainly buy what they want, not what they are encouraged to want.
    There will always a positive case to buy an iPhone.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/29/uk_q1_2013_kantar_worldpanel_smartphone_sales/

Yet this confirms much of that prior thought. In just one year Apple UK went down from 50%+ to 29% whilst Android marches towards 60%.
    And looking at those figures, if Microsoft gains at the same rate even they will pass Apple early next year!

Unlikely and whilst there is that trend I suspect the remaining Apple buyers will buy out the established need to compliment their existing Apple ecosystem.

BTW you forget to mention that iPhone's Safari bans the 'desktop web'. Obviously Mobile web figures are permanently quite screwed one way. Yup, seemingly, even lack of base function gets sold as a major Apple positive.

I honestly don't know what you mean when you say that "people should buy what they want, not what they are encouraged to buy".

Could you clarify this please?

And I'm still not sure what "desktop web" it is that Safari has banned?

:confused:
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly don't know what you mean when you say that "people should buy what they want, not what they are encouraged to buy".

Could you clarify this please?

And I'm still not sure what "desktop web" it is that Safari has banned?

:confused:

I think they mean that IPhone block desktop versions of web pages for some sites not used one so can't clarify that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    I think they mean that IPhone block desktop versions of web pages
    There is no default setting for it.

Mobile 'phone web' needs multi page clicks to get to the same info, or even has much of the darn information missing.

Like much in life, you don't miss what you've never had.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no default setting for it.

Mobile 'phone web' needs multi page clicks to get to the same info, or even has much of the darn information missing.

Like much in life, you don't miss what you've never had.

You said that Safari on iOS "bans the desktop web".

Is it possible to view desktop versions of websites on iOS Safari ?

Yes or no?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You said that Safari on iOS "bans the desktop web".Is it possible to view desktop versions of websites on iOS Safari ?Yes or no?
    You certainly fail to represent any would be user.

What ever happened to the 'it just works' stuff bodger?
    If the website owner decides to play nice, you can still get there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, was that a yes, or no?

Who dictates what website is served up by default - Apple, or the web developer?

Clue - its not Apple.

So when you say "Apple has banned the desktop web".

What you really mean is "Apple have not added an option allowing users to globally override the intentions of individual web developers."