Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Yes that was me, on one of my critical days. I am over it, I think and you get used to it, but was a bit surprised that they then were shocked that LG actually told DM to "shut up"! Is that worse than "F... off"????? Maybe it's just an American thing that I don't get. :cool:

I started on series 5 and will go back and listen to series 1 on.

Actually I like listening to anything about DM and they stretch out each 1 hr episode to a 2 hour chat so it is great. Good insightful chat (but a lot of off track - actually totally irrelevant - comments but you get used to it) pretty much like what we do here. They don't always agree with each other which is refreshing and adds to the discussion. :cool:

They are movie/tv people though so they know a bit about filming and have a few good insights into the industry. They also, like NewPark, pick up on the music which denotes a mood change especially between LG and DM which would go totally over my head if they didn't point it out.

As you say great for listening to while commuting.

cc.cookie, I have downloaded the podcasts from iTunes and mine are about 1/2 hour long. I wonder if they are a shorter version? WHere are yours coming from? They're a good companion on my daily constitutionals.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    cc.cookie, I have downloaded the podcasts from iTunes and mine are about 1/2 hour long. I wonder if they are a shorter version? WHere are yours coming from? They're a good companion on my daily constitutionals.

I have been getting them from itunes.
    or:
    http://www.rockthedocpodcast.com/

I've only listened to series 5 so far and they are all almost 2 hrs long - 1 hr 40 to 2:15.

I've downloaded some series 1 and 2 and I've just checked and they vary from 30 mins to 1 hr 52mins so you are right some are short! How disappointing :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, inferred sex for DM and LG is better than no sex at all. But do hope we actually get to see some rapprochement and romance. That dress looks like it could be a mumu!

I am happy (well sort of) with inferred sex as in DM sitting on the side of the bed getting dressed and talking to LG. But NOT happy with inferred sex as in 1 week after they meet at the castle LG is miraculously pregnant. No, no, no. :mad::mad::mad:

I want all the conversation that has to go on after the castle and then some golly good, leave little to the imagination inferred sex and then a proposal and then the wedding. Thank you very much. :D:D:D

Please, the powers that be. :rolleyes:

I am very happy to believe that the awful dress is a very warm apron that LG is wearing to protect her beautiful dress underneath. :) Did you see everyone dressed up in heavy jackets on the photos on the hotel website. It must be COLD over there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Yes that was me, on one of my critical days. I am over it, I think and you get used to it, but was a bit surprised that they then were shocked that LG actually told DM to "shut up"! Is that worse than "F... off"????? Maybe it's just an American thing that I don't get. :cool:

I started on series 5 and will go back and listen to series 1 on.

Actually I like listening to anything about DM and they stretch out each 1 hr episode to a 2 hour chat so it is great. Good insightful chat (but a lot of off track - actually totally irrelevant - comments but you get used to it) pretty much like what we do here. They don't always agree with each other which is refreshing and adds to the discussion. :cool:

They are movie/tv people though so they know a bit about filming and have a few good insights into the industry. They also, like NewPark, pick up on the music which denotes a mood change especially between LG and DM which would go totally over my head if they didn't point it out.

As you say great for listening to while commuting.

No Shut up is not bad, well it's impolite and not politically correct, but F___ off is definately bad. Not acceptable in most settings. Although, it seems very appropriate sometimes when one is at the end of ones rope. But I've never told anyone to F off. I do have to say though that here in the US we've been programed not to use the words "shut up" or "stupid" as they demean and they have become innapropriate especially to use those words regarding children.

I find it refreshing though that in the UK (at least DM) treat their kids more like I was treated in the 60's. Not with kid gloves. Nowadays young parents do not want to hurt their kids "egos" like the pair that moved next to Louisa's place with that bratty kid.

I don't understand why they would want to use that word in the first place, but I'll have to wait and see.

I'm with you I want to hear comments about DM and how others view the show and their impressions. The first season Linda and Karen were pretty much right on target with what we comment on this forum. They just don't go as "deep" into it as some of us do and that's okay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I am happy (well sort of) with inferred sex as in DM sitting on the side of the bed getting dressed and talking to LG. But NOT happy with inferred sex as in 1 week after they meet at the castle LG is miraculously pregnant. No, no, no. :mad::mad::mad:

I want all the conversation that has to go on after the castle and then some golly good, leave little to the imagination inferred sex and then a proposal and then the wedding. Thank you very much. :D:D:D

Please, the powers that be. :rolleyes:

I am very happy to believe that the awful dress is a very warm apron that LG is wearing to protect her beautiful dress underneath. :) Did you see everyone dressed up in heavy jackets on the photos on the hotel website. It must be COLD over there.

The print is ghastly!!!:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmptrader wrote: »
    No Shut up is not bad, well it's impolite and not politically correct, but F___ off is definately bad. Not acceptable in most settings. Although, it seems very appropriate sometimes when one is at the end of ones rope. But I've never told anyone to F off. I do have to say though that here in the US we've been programed not to use the words "shut up" or "stupid" as they demean and they have become innapropriate especially to use those words regarding children.

I find it refreshing though that in the UK (at least DM) treat their kids more like I was treated in the 60's. Not with kid gloves. Nowadays young parents do not want to hurt their kids "egos" like the pair that moved next to Louisa's place with that bratty kid.

I don't understand why they would want to use that word in the first place, but I'll have to wait and see.

I'm with you I want to hear comments about DM and how others view the show and their impressions. The first season Linda and Karen were pretty much right on target with what we comment on this forum. They just don't go as "deep" into it as some of us do and that's okay.

Linda uses "frigging" A LOT and sh...and f... a few times. Karen is a lot more restrained. I think I noticed because they never, swear on DM the UK version. Where as the French version has "F..." A LOT. (Is "arse" a swear word? What about "sod off"?)

I was just surprised and I was also having a grumpy day when I wrote that post and it got to me a bit. :) You can walk down the street here and hear people using it every second word in normal conversation and I just wonder if their language skills are so limited that they have to resort to swearing. :confused:

I think you are so right about kids today. My dh was a teacher and a kid threw a chair in the classroom at a teacher's desk. 30 kids witnessed it. The parents wouldn't believe their child did it until they saw video evidence. Can you believe it? My dh left teaching because the parents were so unsupportive and the majority of kids just didn't want to learn. So I guess we have our own set of problems.

I think the city slicker parents were fantastically believable (shudder :eek:) which is what I really like about the writing on DM.

I agree about "shut up" but it does seem to be something LG says to stop DM and it works. I think we do say it in our family, not often and in a sort of friendly way, not perhaps in the way LG uses it but one of my sons might tell the other one to shut up if he's about to tell me something he shouldn't about the other's exploits! :rolleyes: I would jump on my kids, though, if the swore or used any of the euphemisms like "frigging" although I do say "far out". Just a cultural thing I guess.

There is also that current (?) trend where people say "shut up" as in "get out of here I don't believe it" if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    That was my first take, also.
    Maybe it was the realization that she was pregnant again that cued the wedding?

Grasping at straws here, I know.
    What from! Not from what we've seen in S5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knowing everything we do after watching a few series being filmed do you think they generally film in sequence? In other words will the wedding be first cab off the rank next s6? Rory Wilton mentioned filming ep 3 the other day. Would they be up to that already if they were filming in sequence?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »

Agreed. And truly, it seems like DM would be very careful to make sure that that Louisa did not have two pregnancies in one year.
  • Options
    Mutley8Mutley8 Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Agreed. And truly, it seems like DM would be very careful to make sure that that Louisa did not have two pregnancies in one year.

And to be youngish and in lust:p:o:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coincidentally, as we are watching the episode in which Julie Graham appears, I watched PBS "The Bletchley Circle" -- and saw that Julie Graham has a featured role as one of the four women that attempt to find and stop a London serial murdered. It's set in the 50's She is quite dowdy and matronly looking, hair in a bun, glasses, no makeup, but still with the same accent.

It's a Scots accent that she has, isn't it?

The program must originate in England; was it ITV or BBC (or Sky)?
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the ex-army male nanny can help out Stewart a bit, who is also ex-army. I would love to see more Stewart, if he was getting better.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I wonder if the ex-army male nanny can help out Stewart a bit, who is also ex-army. I would love to see more Stewart, if he was getting better.
    I'm wondering if he could be a pal for Al? Or possibly a love interest for Morwenna?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Coincidentally, as we are watching the episode in which Julie Graham appears, I watched PBS "The Bletchley Circle" -- and saw that Julie Graham has a featured role as one of the four women that attempt to find and stop a London serial murdered. It's set in the 50's She is quite dowdy and matronly looking, hair in a bun, glasses, no makeup, but still with the same accent.

It's a Scots accent that she has, isn't it?

The program must originate in England; was it ITV or BBC (or Sky)?

And also in last nights episode - one of the women whose cases they were looking back on was named Emily Braithwaite - did you catch that headline in the newspaper article?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    And also in last nights episode - one of the women whose cases they were looking back on was named Emily Braithwaite - did you catch that headline in the newspaper article?

How odd! I haven't watched last night's yet -- just caught the first episode on streaming PBS. Had to TiVo it b/c Mad Men is on at the same time. Choices, choices.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    How odd! I haven't watched last night's yet -- just caught the first episode on streaming PBS. Had to TiVo it b/c Mad Men is on at the same time. Choices, choices.

The "Emily Braithwaite" is in the 2nd episode. It is an ITV production.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow! Surely that isn't a coincidence. But isn't Julie Graham the only connection?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was my first take, also.
    Maybe it was the realization that she was pregnant again that cued the wedding?

Grasping at straws here, I know.
    Or they had a very "successful" honeymoon.

Straws here too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    From early in series 6? This is all just crazy speculation anyhow. Probably that weird-print dress just hangs on her in a weird way. Weird.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I noticed the "Emily Braithwaite" too, but then I've seen Braithwaite in a book about someone in the 19th C. as well as coming across it in other UK related stuff I've read, that it just seems not unusual to me that it is used. But then it does seem a bit interesting that Emily would be used with it. Maybe it is some sort of a nod from Julie.

But then it was the name of a murdered girl, wasn't it, so it seems a bit macabre to do a nod that way. So I'm guessing it is just us being super-sensitive and alert!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I checked the comments with the pic, someone asked Vicky the pregnancy question, and her reply was that she didn't feel anything like that.

I don't think it logical anyway, based on JH's actors' ages called for, unless they want to make DM and LG out to be rabbits! One time and bang!

OMG! just realized: that is what may have happened the first time!!!

:D Hah! You're right!

I found a tumblr site (or page, or blog, or whatever) with info about the book that was given to CC along with several photos. It's only in the one we saw previously that it looks a little like there could be another bun in the oven. In the others, it's pretty clear that my eyes were deceiving me. BUT in one of them, the third one, I think, even without attempting to zoom in or whatnot, the wedding ring is completely obvious :) . Click to enlarge.

Here's the link (hope this works; 1st time I've attempted to rename a link; it's due to the iffy name of the blog itself so beware):
    CC LG Photos
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed the "Emily Braithwaite" too, but then I've seen Braithwaite in a book about someone in the 19th C. as well as coming across it in other UK related stuff I've read, that it just seems not unusual to me that it is used. But then it does seem a bit interesting that Emily would be used with it. Maybe it is some sort of a nod from Julie.

But then it was the name of a murdered girl, wasn't it, so it seems a bit macabre to do a nod that way. So I'm guessing it is just us being super-sensitive and alert!

Could be. Probably because there was an Emily Braithwaite mentioned in a S1 ep of DM too, and we immediately associated her with MC and Phillippa Braithwaite and their daughter Emily.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check out the Stowaway Tea Shoppe for adorable pix of Dodger who visited today with his trainer Sonia. https://www.facebook.com/Stowaway.Tea.Shoppe?hc_location=stream

Guess that puts to rest the rumors out there on the FB Fans site that was saying it was closed.

Also, said filming going on the rest of the week in the village.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could someone explain how to post with a spoiler please ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    :D Hah! You're right!

I found a tumblr site (or page, or blog, or whatever) with info about the book that was given to CC along with several photos. It's only in the one we saw previously that it looks a little like there could be another bun in the oven. In the others, it's pretty clear that my eyes were deceiving me. BUT in one of them, the third one, I think, even without attempting to zoom in or whatnot, the wedding ring is completely obvious :) . Click to enlarge.

Here's the link (hope this works; 1st time I've attempted to rename a link; it's due to the iffy name of the blog itself so beware):
    CC LG Photos
    That link didn't work for me, but I went to Tumblr and typed "Caroline Catz" in the search and the pictures were there.
This discussion has been closed.