Options

White Britons a minority by 2066

Comments

• Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member

I've just vainly searched the document - nowhere does it say "White British will be in a minority in 2066".
    And while you might not have said the British are mongrels it's usually how this sort of topic ends up, it already has if you haven't noticed.
    So you're just imputing what I *might* say, when I've said nothing of the sort. GREAT debating skillz there, Dinkie.
    Strange no-one has commented on Prof Coleman being a rightwing eugenicist nutter with a skewed agenda.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea what you mean by that

I meant we had already discussed Romans etc. so I used a modern potential invader of the recent past as an example.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Immigration is in my opinion is not the problem here but integration..
    Something British expats know ALL about
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    riceuten wrote: »
    I've just vainly searched the document - nowhere does it say "White British will be in a minority in 2066".
    Few projections of European populations have extended that into the future. The highest-migration projection in a set of variant projections for the UK (assuming the continuation of recent migration levels and a convergence of fertility levels) puts the crossover for the whole country (when the combined population of all ethnic minority groups together would exceed the population of ‘White British’) at around 2070
    So you're just imputing what I *might* say, when I've said nothing of the sort. GREAT debating skillz there, Dinkie.
    Strange no-one has commented on Prof Coleman being a rightwing eugenicist nutter with a skewed agenda.

You cant really criticise anyones debating skills the way you're going. :D
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/8142176/White-Britons-to-become-minority-by-2066.html

Told you it was an old survey.
    Telegraph wrote:

White Britons to become minority by 2066
    White Britons will be outnumbered by 2066 if the rate of immigration continues, researchers have claimed.

Foreign workers will "change national identity" according to a population expert, unless the flow of immigration is dealt with.

The white British-born community (defined as English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish-born citizens) will fall to less than half of the overall population in just over 50 years.

The warning from Professor David Coleman, from Oxford University, comes ahead of an announcement today by the Migration Advisory Board of its recommendation for the proposed immigration cap for people outside the EU.

Figures from the Office of National Statistics show that if immigration remains at a long-term rate of around 180,000 a year the proportion of the white British-born population will fall from 80 per cent to 59 per cent by 2051.

In that time the white immigrant population will have risen from four to 10 per cent and ethnic minority population from 16 to 31 per cent.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have found through experience that 'coloured' people do not particularly like dogs, where as white people do; I adore my dog & of course I take him for walks daily, where I used to live I was constantly getting scowled & glared at by 'coloured' people (this did not happen when I was alone), where I am now my dog & I regularly get smiled at. This is a fact & not a figment of my imagination.

Whereas my friend and her dog often get approached by Asian women who want to get their kids used to dogs.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    trunkster wrote: »
    And since when has Farage said he's against all immigration?

UKIP wants immigration stopped for 5 years.
  • Options
    helioslumoshelioslumos Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Immigrants are not all the same, some are beneficial many are not. Immigration is like a medicinal drug, a small dose now and again makes you better, taking too much all at once makes you ill. The immigration proponents don't want to accept that numbers are way too high, so instead they lump all migrants together and claim we have been enriched by their diversity and they are essential to boost our economy etc.

Why are the numbers too high? Do you have any proof of this?
    We could be just as economically well off with selective immigration, with much lower numbers and the predictions of 2066 would never happen.

Immigration should be selective. My problem is that our systems of control should not be in response to a Sun headline designed to whip up hysteria about 50% of people not being white.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent points
    It's a shame that so many don't let facts and dictionaries get in their way

Funny I can't find any dictionary that says ..
    Im-mi-grant : An invading ruling elite who supplant the existing rulling elite:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKIP wants immigration stopped for 5 years.

If it takes 5 years to sort out the mess and take stock of whats gone on the last 10,20,30,40 years.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    wow. this thread took off.

ahhh, yes, but who did they conquer?

i think you need to re-read Liams post. it's quoted above for you.

what's his ancestry got to do with anything? he isn't racist nor is he claiming he is pure 'english blood'. if you think he is racist, post a link to back up your claim.

he doesn't want to stop all immigration.still that doesn't stop the smear campaign being ramped up by the toreis and labour.

such as? (and try to ensure your reply doesn't mention food).
    Considering there was a French Huguenot church built and several French named streets around the brick lane area I imagine they didn't integrated at first( I also descended from French Huguenots as well)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny I can't find any dictionary that says ..
    Im-mi-grant : An invading ruling elite who supplant the existing rulling elite:confused:

That's because it's not the the definition! To repeat, the definition is

im·mi·grant
    1. A person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.
    2. An animal or plant living or growing in a region to which it has migrated.
  • Options
    OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something British expats know ALL about

Probably quite true. Same principle applies so if you don't want to integrate then prepared to be marginalized by society.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it takes 5 years to sort out the mess and take stock of whats gone on the last 10,20,30,40 years.

That's not the (debatable) point - you asked 'since when has Farage been against all immigration'. The answer is since UKIP have stated that they are against all immigration, for at least the length of a parliament. Why he espouses this idea is another issue.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 50,035
    Forum Member
    In 53 years time huh? :rolleyes: What per centage will be white europeans by the way?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Told you it was an old survey.

It is an old article based on the study but the study itself it has been updated and will be again next year.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member

You seemed to be unaware of that UKIP policy when you asked "Since when has Farage said he's against all immigration?".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    That's not the (debatable) point - you asked 'since when has Farage been against all immigration'. The answer is since UKIP have stated that they are against all immigration, for at least the length of a parliament. Why he espouses this idea is another issue.

That is permanent migration, not temporary immigrants like students or skilled workers wasn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You seemed to be unaware of that UKIP policy when you asked "Since when has Farage said he's against all immigration?".

He's aware of his own assumptions, and that seems to be all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is an old article based on the study but the study itself it has been updated and will be again next year.
    Strange you STILL haven't commented on the Professor's background and political views which could conceivably have altered his treatment of the statistics ?
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    In 53 years time huh? :rolleyes: What per centage will be white europeans by the way?

In 53 years time some of those 'non-whites' will have been here for over a hundred years, such as the people who arrived in the Windrush era. I wonder if people will still be calling them unintegrated immigrants?
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is permanent migration, not temporary immigrants like students or skilled workers wasn't it?

I can't be sure, since their policy seems still to be under "review and update". Having looked at what they're still showing, you are correct in saying that their last plan was a five year ban permanent immigrants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's because it's not the the definition! To repeat, the definition is

im·mi·grant
    1. A person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.
    2. An animal or plant living or growing in a region to which it has migrated.

Nope still not applicable. The Norman ruling elite of a couple of hundred at most(supported by a few thousand soldiers) nearly a thousand years ago hardly equates to what we've seen over the last 20 years. since the Norman conquest it's been a relative trickle that's been easliy absorbed and assimilated(because they wanted to be)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope still not applicable. The Norman ruling elite of a couple of hundred at most(supported by a few thousand soldiers) nearly a thousand years ago hardly equates to what we've seen over the last 20 years. since the Norman conquest it's been a relative trickle that's been easliy absorbed and assimilated(because they wanted to be)

There has been a large population difference and improved transport allowing for an increase in immigration. Please define what you mean by 'relative trickle', preferably with verified statistics.

Perhaps you might like to look here. You will see that immigration is not particularly high by historical levels and that the whole measure is considerably more complicated than you are willing to accept
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Since when does a 5 year cap = ban all immigration for ever?

A 5 year stop, in order to take stock and plan for the future housing needs and general infastructure seems quite resonable to me. I take it you're quite happy with the current status?