Options

Why is ITV so bad at comedies?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    trunkster wrote: »
    Waterloo Road is quite funny as well

Yes since the move to Scotland the show has gone up on the comedy scale.
  • Options
    3iff3iff Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    I had the same thought "Why are ITV so bad at comedy?", but I don't think the BBC are doing any better. I can't really remember the last home-grown comedy that was worthwhile but I prefer programs without a hysterical audience drowning out half the lines.
  • Options
    ianmattianmatt Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Agreed, I don't particularly like her but she is certainly not abysmal. I suspect I probably think some programmes that the writer likes, are abysmal (or worse).

Hart is as bad as you will see on TV. The best she can do is pull a few faces and chuck her large frame around the set. Truly awful performer but to compound this she is full of herself, a big head of huge proportions.
  • Options
    designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianmatt wrote: »
    Hart is as bad as you will see on TV. The best she can do is pull a few faces and chuck her large frame around the set. Truly awful performer but to compound this she is full of herself, a big head of huge proportions.

There is MUCH worse on TV than Miranda... She's not big headed by any means. So you've met her then? I assume you have to be making comments highlighted in bold
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vicious was just awfull, the job lot saved the last 1/2 of that hour.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    designer84 wrote: »
    There is MUCH worse on TV than Miranda... She's not big headed by any means. So you've met her then? I assume you have to be making comments highlighted in bold

I suspect his comment, 'chuck her large frame around the set.' sums up what really offends this poster. Otherwise, why mention her physical characteristic? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    I suspect his comment, 'chuck her large frame around the set.' sums up what really offends this poster. Otherwise, why mention her physical characteristic? :rolleyes:

I did think the same to be honest. :)
    Why bring in her weight at all?
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Was looking forward to 'Vicious' but lost interest less than half way through.
    'The Job Lot' was a bit better but I wouldn't panic to record it.

I've never seen an episode of 'Miranda' btw - comments make me doubt its comedic effect. :confused:
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only truly classic ITV comedy is Rising Damp, but even that's not in the same league as the best BBC comedies.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Miranda aside BBC record of late has been appalling.

Not Going Out is horrible!

Pleased to see any channel try something new!

I disagree. I would say the third series of Miranda lost the plot where as Not Going Out is still as good as ever.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only modern comedy that was funny was The Thick Of It, everything else has been garbage.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    I disagree. I would say the third series of Miranda lost the plot where as Not Going Out is still as good as ever.

I disagree with you. (:D:p). For me, Miranda is consistently good, but since the departure of Tim Vine, I'm struggling with NGO, (which used to be my favourite prog).
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,407
    Forum Member
    ITV "expect" big ratings from comedies, as that what the US networks and the BBC and SKY get.

What they don't have is any experience, history or nowse about sitcoms as it has been so long since they bothered trying to make any.
    The last efforts were those - god-awful reowrkings of US sitcoms in the '90s that sank without trace.

Previous posters have said, SKY have been developing comedy writers and it is paying dividends.

IIRC I am sure Susan Nickson was "teamed up" with some experienced writer (may have been Andrew Davies) when she developed "Two Pints" as she was only 18 and still at school. This was done by the late Geoffrey Perkins when he was head of BBC comedy.
  • Options
    MmmbopMmmbop Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »

Agree, been a fan of Not Going Out since the start, but it does lack that little something now that Tim Vine has left.

Miranda is just god awful.
  • Options
    feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have not seen most of these (I will have a look on YouTube later to see how bad they are)
    but apparently they are contender for the biggest flop in sitcom history according to

http://metro.co.uk/2013/04/25/from-big-top-to-the-royal-bodyguard-ten-sitcoms-even-worse-than-the-wright-way-3666642/

Hardwicke House (1987)

Heil Honey I’m Home (1990)

Chalk (1997)

Orrible (2001)

Sam’s Game (2001)

Celeb (2002)

Mad About Alice (2004)

Blessed (2005)

Big Top (2009)

The Royal Bodyguard (2011)
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Like Vicious, The Job Lot was rejected by another broadcaster before itv picked it up. It seems the best talent go to bbc/channel4 for their comedies and the ones rejected end up on the minor channels or itv.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    jonjons wrote: »
    Both Vicious and The Job Lot were not funny tonight! I was thinking of my favourite comedies:

Miranda
    Not Going Out
    Fawlty Towers
    Ab Fab

These have all been on the BBC

I enjoyed both of the new comedies. It s quite refreshing to see reasonably good comedies on the TV again. The BBC provided some good comedies in the dim and distant past - Dad's Army, Sykes, It Ain't Half Hot, Porridge, Are You Being Served and many more. Of those you list Miranda is dreadful, weak scripts bolstered up by loud canned laughter Yuk ! Not Going Out and Ab Fab are dreadful. Fawlty Towers is very good if a little eccentric. There hasn't been much good new comedy on the BBC for donkeys years

ITV many years ago gave us the brilliant Rising Damp, along with Nearest And Dearest, Brass, Home To Roost, Man About The House, George And Mildred and more but similarly haven't done much good comedy in years. That's why these two new ones are very welcome in my book.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Oldnjaded wrote: »

Isn't Miranda using her frame as a major part of what she has to offer?

I see a parallel between her and Rowan Atkinson with his Mr Bean character. Mr Bean is just a funny face and the novelty very soon wears off for most people over 10 years of age.

Did anyone see Miranda doing a tribute to Morecambe and Wise a few weeks back? Welsh comic Stan Stennett was showing her around his theatre in South Wales and said "Walk this way". When she didn't respond with the standard comedian's retort about not needing the talcum powder is she could walk that way, I knew she wasn't a great comic :D
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miranda and Ab Fab are awful ! Maybe because we're older, but we enjoyed Vicious ! Ian McKellen is a class act.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Historically, the BBC was THE home of comedy. It had all the classics - Steptoe & Son, Python, Fawlty, Blackadder, Perrin, Porridge, Dibley, Dad's Army, Yes Minister, One Foot In the Grave, Ab Fab, Royle Family etc, etc.

What did ITV have? Rising Damp, at a stretch.

Of late the BBC has lost the plot completely. Part of this is down to independent production. Originally, it had such a vast comedy department (and would stick with shows that had a wobbly start), the minnow ITV companies could never compete. This advantage has been lost. The last half decent comedies it put out were both in house jobs (Thick of It and The Office).

It's current excuse for comedy output - Miranda, Not Going Out (dire), and various other small scale, inconsequential little shows is beyond pathetic. Post scandal BBC is a timid mouse in every regard - comedy included. C4 have actually made the most memorable comedy in recent years with Inbetweeners.

Terrible as Vicious was, The Job Lot was actually more amusing than anything the BBC can muster these days. And it has the delicious and gay Russell Tovey in it ;) What a contrast with McKellen and Jacobi!
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most BBC sitcoms are crap these days as well. Have you seen "The Wright Way"? Who in the name of god commissioned that shit?!

Mrs Brown is funny, but I know a lot of people find that crude. Humour is very subjective after all. I personally think Miranda is about as funny as AIDS but a lot of people seem to love her. I hated The Vicar of Dibley as well. People look at me like insane whenever I say that, but I never laughed once at it.

For some reason ITV sitcoms don't stand the test of time like the BBC's do. I used to love The Upper Hand when I was a kid, but was amazed at how dated and unfunny it is when I watched it back on Sky a few years ago.

I don't think Vicious is as bad as some are making out actually. There is far more potential there than I've seen in a lot of other new "comedies" recently.
  • Options
    ThetrevsterThetrevster Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found Vicious amusing rather than funny. With Job Lot I couldn't even see what was supposed to be funny.
    Most of the older comedies posters refer to wouldn't see the light of day in this era due to the PC brigade.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mrs Brown is funny, but I know a lot of people find that crude.

It's not it's crudity, but it's lazy stereotyping, predictability, mundane script, and belief that panning out to the audience somehow makes it edgy and contemporary that makes it so dire.

That the BBC feel the need to commission such shite from RTE speaks volumes for it's own inadequacy.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    It's not it's crudity, but it's lazy stereotyping, predictability, mundane script, and belief that panning out to the audience somehow makes it edgy and contemporary that makes it so dire.

That the BBC feel the need to commission such shite from RTE speaks volumes for it's own inadequacy.

And yet its hugely popular and enjoyed by millions of people....
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Brown is funny, but I know a lot of people find that crude. Humour is very subjective after all. I personally think Miranda is about as funny as AIDS but a lot of people seem to love her.
    While my tastes are the complete opposite of yours, I love Miranda but can't watch Mrs brown for more than a couple of minutes , I'm glad to see another split opinion.

A lot of reviewers, and posters, keep saying "liked by those who love Miranda and Mrs Brown" or "aimed at the Miranda and Mrs Brown crowd" as though they are one and the same or come as a job lot.