Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 26)

Comments

• Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Will he pull them straight out of all European competitions?

And sell off all the non-English players? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nominations for the Arqiva Commercial Radio Awards:

Programmer of the year - James Rea
    Presenter of the Year (over 2m) - Iain Dale
    Station of the Year (2m+) - LBC 97.3
    Journalist of the Year - Dan Freedman

Read all about it here:

http://www.commercialradioawards.org/ArqivaAwards2013/2013Nominations.html
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enjoying Mystery Hour, but need to go out. Blast! Anyhow at least the podcast is free.
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Chinchin, don't you find it annoying in mystery hour when O'Brien jumps in and tries to extemporise the answers?

He uses whatever little knowledge he can muster to try and scrape together an answer, usually on a subject he knows nothing about in a bid to dismiss the caller and diminish the question.
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    Chinchin, don't you find it annoying in mystery hour when O'Brien jumps in and tries to extemporise the answers?

He uses whatever little knowledge he can muster to try and scrape together an answer, usually on a subject he knows nothing about in a bid to dismiss the caller and diminish the question.

So, it's his show and his answers are often entertaining.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, it's his show and his answers are often entertaining.

Bored with it now.Apparently his non guest list will have luvvie Rupert Everett in at some point...:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoops 10:00 o'clock. It's O.Brien time. Time to re-tune the radio. I'll try Vanessa today.

Gave up a year ago,too syrupy for me.Plus she becmae a little bit 'street' which i found hilarious..:p
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes indeed Nosedive. I have to say that's the worst bit and often spoils it for me.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One could argue that he analyses the question and works out the answer. He admits if he is 'winging' it and waits for a proper answer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D

Clive Bull ‏@clivebull 3h
    In other news... Happy 60th birthday to Cucumber Man! #whoosh
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,659
    Forum Member
    Does anyone here used the LBC full episode podcast service? I'm finding really useful - but incredibly slow to download. My Guardian podcast just downloaded in about a minute; a similarly sized LBC podcast is scheduled to take 13 minutes!

It makes it quite a bit less useful if I have to wait 15 minutes to leave the house!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No I'm afraid not. Haven't used it for a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One could argue that he analyses the question and works out the answer. He admits if he is 'winging' it and waits for a proper answer.

This is true Martin, but I personally would argue he's just trying to b*llsh*t the answers out of sheer arrogance because he likes the sound of his own voice too much!
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mfr wrote: »
    Does anyone here used the LBC full episode podcast service? I'm finding really useful - but incredibly slow to download. My Guardian podcast just downloaded in about a minute; a similarly sized LBC podcast is scheduled to take 13 minutes!

It makes it quite a bit less useful if I have to wait 15 minutes to leave the house!

Usually find it about average, 2 - 3 minutes for most shows.
  • Options
    BazzieBazzie Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listening to the medical hour this Tuesday I suddenly realised that the B word hadn't been uttered, nor had any of their ads been aired. Is the BUPA sponsorship over?
  • Options
    mfrmfr Posts: 5,659
    Forum Member
    radiodad wrote: »
    Usually find it about average, 2 - 3 minutes for most shows.

Strange. I'll look into it - thanks for the feedback!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bazzie wrote: »
    Listening to the medical hour this Tuesday I suddenly realised that the B word hadn't been uttered, nor had any of their ads been aired. Is the BUPA sponsorship over?

That's a good point, you're right they didn't. It's a different doctor now too isn't it. Has been for a few weeks, months even. Still spot on with the old diagnoses though.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 50,333
    Forum Member
    Anyone else confused as to why LBC has a problem with their callers using the word bugger? LBC presenters ask callers not to use that word and speak/rebuke callers who use that word as if it is a swearing word and or abusive and I have never seen that word as either swearing or abusive and if it is anything, I see the word as a complete minced of a word used to "substitute" what people would like to state more strongly.

What else do LBC see as unacceptable words? Blimey? The term Effing and blinding a no no too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bazzie wrote: »

Last BUPA Wellbeing Hour podcast is 16 April.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    Anyone else confused as to why LBC has a problem with their callers using the word bugger? LBC presenters ask callers not to use that word and speak/rebuke callers who use that word as if it is a swearing word and or abusive and I have never seen that word as either swearing or abusive and if it is anything, I see the word as a complete minced of a word used to "substitute" what people would like to state more strongly.

Nick F used to use a clip of one of his callers (Sheila from Cockfosters) where she would say "bugger me". He has not used it for sometime. Must be a change of management style, probably not to use anything 'amusing' rather than the word.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mfr wrote: »

You definitely have a problem! I just downloaded one of Anthony Davis' shows. It took 2 mins 45 secs. It said it would take 4 mins to download.
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Anyone else confused as to why LBC has a problem with their callers using the word bugger? LBC presenters ask callers not to use that word and speak/rebuke callers who use that word as if it is a swearing word and or abusive

What else do LBC see as unacceptable words? Blimey? The term Effing and blinding a no no too?

I think it's like 'bloody', isn't it? You can use it once, but then they get a bit nervous and ask you to be more careful, but it's not an immediate 'dump'.

It's not a problem on the Ken and David show, anyway.

And who else remembers David's use of the F-word on air this year?
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 50,333
    Forum Member
    Nick F used to use a clip of one of his callers (Sheila from Cockfosters) where she would say "bugger me". He has not used it for sometime. Must be a change of management style, probably not to use anything 'amusing' rather than the word.

JOB rebuked a female caller on Wednesday I think it was and Julia once asked a caller not to use that word too. The lady the other day I think was talking about the Government and said something like "they're buggered" and JOB responded as if she had said something really bad such as a major swear word though he said himself he didn't dump her saying it.

The lady caller seemed confused as to what word she had said wrong too and it has thrown me too. I think LBC have got it wrong on this one and coming to think about it, I have heard callers use much stronger terms without getting ticked off about it so why LBC make an issue out of the word bugger is very confusing to me.
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JOB rebuked a female caller on Wednesday I think it was and Julia once asked a caller not to use that word too. The lady the other day I think was talking about the Government and said something like "they're buggered" and JOB responded as if she had said something really bad such as a major swear word though he said himself he didn't dump her saying it.

The lady caller seemed confused as to what word she had said wrong too and it has thrown me too. I think LBC have got it wrong on this one and coming to think about it, I have heard callers use much stronger terms without getting ticked off about it so why LBC make an issue out of the word bugger is very confusing to me.

Maybe part of a crackdown on language in general? It's more or less everyday speech now but some people don't use it and don't like strong language in any shape or form, which is fair enough, and, as they always say, kids may be listening, especially during the day.

It's only about adapting your language to the audience, I can use stronger language with my colleagues than I can with the bosses, so it's easy enough to do when you have to.
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    So how do you Londoners feel about drinking sewerage? Treated sewerage that is....
This discussion has been closed.