Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 26)

Comments

• Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh come, come Martin. Surely you don't believe all you're told. Did you hear Prof Richard Ashley on the NF show this morning? He said that water from treated sewage has resulted in the 'feminisation of fish' through the flushing away of contraceptives.
    Just think what it might do to you!!
    :eek:

It's cheaper and less hassle than having the operation! ;)
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh come, come Martin. Surely you don't believe all you're told. Did you hear Prof Richard Ashley on the NF show this morning? He said that water from treated sewage has resulted in the 'feminisation of fish' through the flushing away of contraceptives.
    Just think what it might do to you!! :eek:

Re Prof Ashley .. Oh come, come VQ. Surely you don't believe all you're told. ;):D

I will let you know when I become pregnant :D:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That could be described as racist and ageist? ;)

Not a rascist to me.Did i not post months ago about LBC and the on going lack of Asian/Black presenters?:confused:..LONDONS BIGGEST VOICE?..:eek:.Really?..Check out diverse London and see if it's represented by LBC...Non.:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You took the words out of my mouth, g-s.
    What else would anyone coming to these shores expect?
    If I went to, say, Jamaica, I'd expect a middle aged black person to be broadcasting.
    In any case, I thought skin colour wasn't supposed to matter and that, under the skin, we're all the same. :confused:
    Brixtonofjonnie's right. I don't get it!

Yep.No point confusing Jamaica or anywhere else outside LONDON.We are a city so different from over rated New York which boasts about its diversity:yawn:...Nope...LONDON is special and LBC should wake up in 2013 and employ a few Asian /Black presenters...Or carry on with head in the sand...The days of the 50's 60's 70's even 80's are long gone...we hope:eek:.No point me ever asking on air why no blacks...i can hear NF/JHB and co excuse of ' er..um..really?'[:mad:
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    Are you saying you think it's racist to talk about race?

I had a holiday in Jamaica about 20 years ago and I noticed there were a large number of women broadcasting on the TV and radio, I'd estimate it was about half of all presenters. I don't recall seeing any white presenters but there were many of Southern Asian origin and some of Eastern Asian and Middle Eastern origin. In fact it was very diverse, like the Jamaican population.

I think the question to ask is why is it when we live in a diverse capital city that most LBC presenters are white, middle-aged and male. Half of the population are women but they make up a tiny proportion of LBC's presenting staff, 40% of London's population are not white but all LBC presenters are white and nearly two thirds of Londoners are aged under 44 but that demographic isn't reflected in LBC presenting team.

However, Larry Lamb is a good addition to the presenting team because based on the show of his that I heard, he isn't the usual right wing journalist that LBC employ so in that respect, he does bring a little more diversity to LBC.

Why does that demographic have to be reflected?
    It doesn't. All I ask is that a presenter is good at his job.
    That's far more important than where he comes from, how old he is or the colour of his skin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re Prof Ashley .. Oh come, come VQ. Surely you don't believe all you're told. ;):D

I will let you know when I become pregnant :D:eek:

No more than you do, Martin. :p
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    There was a Professor (?) on last night's Iain Dale show who explained that any re-used water would be 'processed' to come to the same standard as drinking water that we use now.

Therefore if you were not told of the source, it wouldn't taste any different.

You don't have to be a professor to be aware of that fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a rascist to me.Did i not post months ago about LBC and the on going lack of Asian/Black presenters?:confused:..LONDONS BIGGEST VOICE?..:eek:.Really?..Check out diverse London and see if it's represented by LBC...Non.:mad:

In terms of presentation and broadcasting style, what difference does it make?
  • Options
    coulsdon59coulsdon59 Posts: 2,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A review of 'Call Clegg' is in today's Guardian.

I always thought the two Nicks get on well.

NB Sony Radio awards on Monday, including the Sony Golden Headphones Award. You have until 5pm tonight to vote in that category if you haven't done so already.

Do you think they might nominate Nick Clegg for a Sony next year? I wonder what category he would go into!
  • Options
    tommy2teetommy2tee Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    That's far more important than where he comes from, how old he is or the colour of his skin.

I would have thought to a commercial radio station demographics are all important in relation to advertising revenue.

In the same respect it is vital that the presenters are able to relate to those targeted by the station hence the proliferation of white middle aged middle class men.

Although I do actually like to listen to LBC the only two presenters I feel are truly genuine are Nick Abbot and Anthony Davis, the rest are just bit part actors playing at being presenters in a relatively small pond.

Off to the Vicente Calderon to morrow so will miss Larry but good luck to him and I hope it is not the usual predictable LBC stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecco66 wrote: »
    It would seem it was, as actor Larry Lamb takes over on Sunday!

http://www.lbc.co.uk/meet-lbcs-new-presenter---larry-lamb-71768

Thats an interesting choice. He first show covering for Clive wasnt bad and as hes not a broadcaster or journalist it might make a refreshing change. I just hope they dont try to push him down a heavy politics show if hes not up to it, knowledge wise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coulsdon59 wrote: »
    Do you think they might nominate Nick Clegg for a Sony next year? I wonder what category he would go into!
    • Best speech programme
    • Best news and current affairs programme
    • Speech radio broadcaster of the year
    • Best Entertainment Programme (not for comedy programmes)
    • Gold Award (lifetime achivement)
    • Special Award (progressing UK radio)

In fact he would probably sweep the board :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with you about the redundancy of sport on LBC but I'd guess it gets as big an audience as anything would. Saturday afternoon is the traditional time to people to go out, shopping, visiting or even just gardening. I doubt if a phone-in would get much of a response. I'm against too many repeats, on which some previous managements relied quite heavily, but a couple of hours of the best of... featuring all presenters, not just Allen and Ferrari, could give us a chance to hear shows that we wouldn't normally listen to.

Morning all. :)

If you get the right show and presenter people will call.

I remember Brian Hayes Saturday night programme. It wasnt a phone in. When Iain Lee took over Saturday nights he opened the phone lines and people called in. Iain said LBC thought the Saturday night show couldnt be a phone in because people were out, or watching TV or other things as the lines had usually been very quiet. Once he had settled in Iain had no trouble getting people to ring in. This was long before the silly era with his regulars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve's been splashing the cash again! :D

Steve Allen ‏@SteveAllenShow 4h
    I went to Primark..... I think I need a lie down. 13 towels 52 quid, a bargain!!

He must live in a TARDIS!
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't believe that women, people of colour and people under 40 don't make good presenters so why doesn't LBC use (m)any in a city as diverse as ours?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe that women, people of colour and people under 40 don't make good presenters so why doesn't LBC use (m)any in a city as diverse as ours?

There is speculation and discussion about this every couple of months but nobody ever proffers an opinion as to why they think LBC are remiss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well..... you could go on and on, couldn't you?
    There are lots of eighteen-year-olds, lots of people with only one leg, lots of people who are blind, lots of people over 70.
    It doesn't matter.
    By the way, LBC does have presenters who are under 40. I believe Anthony Davis, Cristo and James O'Brien come into that category. Maybe others too.
    They do have female presenters and, in the past, have had presenters 'of colour'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well..... you could go on and on, couldn't you?
    There are lots of eighteen-year-olds, lots of people with only one leg, lots of people who are blind, lots of people over 70.
    It doesn't matter.
    By the way, LBC does have presenters who are under 40. I believe Anthony Davis, Cristo and James O'Brien come into that category. Maybe others too.
    They do have female presenters and, in the past, have had presenters 'of colour'.

You have missed my point. In your original post on this subject you implied that people should expect LBC presenters to be white, middle-aged and male. I was pointing out that your suggestion is wrong because Iogically one would expect a work force to reflect the population from which they are drawn unless other factors were considered in how people are selected. There is no reason why other types of people can't make a good LBC presenter.

It's interesting to read on here how people complain that so much of the LBC output is similar from show to show, well if people want diversity in output they might achieve that if there were more diversity in the type of presenters used.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have missed my point. In your original post on this subject you implied that people should expect LBC presenters to be white, middle-aged and male. I was pointing out that your suggestion is wrong because Iogically one would expect a work force to reflect the population from which they are drawn unless other factors were considered in how people are selected. There is no reason why other types of people can't make a good LBC presenter.

It's interesting to read on here how people complain that so much of the LBC output is similar from show to show, well if people want diversity in output they might achieve that if there were more diversity in the type of presenters used.

Perhaps middle-aged white men are best at being default presenters, who can act as a neutral catalyst for listeners' opinions. You seem to think that a specific type of presenter - young or black or female - should be employed to present things from their point of view; otherwise why bother? It sounds ghastly and I doubt if it would be popular. The 'yoof' show, with Tre Azam/Nick Conrad (both young and black) wasn't sufficiently popular to hang on to its slot, and, if the moaning that goes on here about Petrie and J H-B is anything to go by, women's issues and opinions wouldn't get a mainstream audience.

Incidentally, why do you think LBC seem to favour middle-aged white men?

• Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good Luck with that...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps middle-aged white men are best at being default presenters, who can act as a neutral catalyst for listeners' opinions. You seem to think that a specific type of presenter - young or black or female - should be employed to present things from their point of view; otherwise why bother? It sounds ghastly and I doubt if it would be popular. The 'yoof' show, with Tre Azam/Nick Conrad (both young and black) wasn't sufficiently popular to hang on to its slot, and, if the moaning that goes on here about Petrie and J H-B is anything to go by, women's issues and opinions wouldn't get a mainstream audience.

Incidentally, why do you think LBC seem to favour middle-aged white men?

No, I don't think that at all. The subjects chosen for discussion by many LBC presenters are often same from show to show and I think this might partly be because most of the presenters are from a similar demographic and so are more likely to have similar interests and views. More presenters of different ages, gender and backgrounds should naturally lead to more diversity of views, subjects covered and diversity of output.

I have no idea why most LBC presenters are white middle aged men but when I worked as a manager, if that was the make up of my team, I would be looking at identifying and breaking down the obstacles that were preventing greater diversity. I just cannot accept that there is an inherent reason why white middle aged men predominantly make the best presenters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I don't think that at all. The subjects chosen for discussion by many LBC presenters are often same from show to show and I think this might partly be because most of the presenters are from a similar demographic and so are more likely to have similar interests and views. More presenters of different ages, gender and backgrounds should naturally lead to more diversity of views, subjects covered and diversity of output.

But I thought the subjects chosen for discussion are decreed by management - at least, that seems to be the oft stated perception on here as a reason for the similarity in topics. If they are going to relax that rule, will it only be for presenters who aren't middle-aged white men, while the poor old M-AWM are left to chunter on about politics and the economy?
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So could you please telll me what is wrong with a 30 year old man listening to the radio
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Another reason might be that the 'average' LBC listener only listens for a short time each day. They are only likely to hear a particular story once.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I thought the subjects chosen for discussion are decreed by management - at least, that seems to be the oft stated perception on here as a reason for the similarity in topics. If they are going to relax that rule, will it only be for presenters who aren't middle-aged white men, while the poor old M-AWM are left to chunter on about politics and the economy?

I always thought the subjects chosen for discussion were more of a collaborative process between the presenter and the production team. I've heard different presenters state that they have personally seen a story in the paper and wanted to discuss it with listeners or they have discussed something based on a experience that actually happened to them. I always got the impression the the presenter had a big role in the selection of the topics they discuss on their show.
This discussion has been closed.