Options

Sexual Harassment on the street

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was on my way to college and leaving the station A man approached me giving leaflets out (he is there every wednesday) I said no thanks he then followed me down the street saying " can i have your number ?" i said i am taken and he asked me to go for lunch " i ignored him i was trying to cross the road i stood there and he turned and went back up the street i thought he was going to follow me all the way to college ! It was scary its not like it was a one of i have to see this man every Wednesday.

I am hoping he will leave me alone but what if he doesn't !

anyone else have the same issue

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. He follows me too.
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    WTF has this world come to? Someone asks for your phone number and that is sexual harassment? :rolleyes:

How on earth did you meet your current attachment? Did you first correspond for 10 years from separate concrete cells wrapped in bubble wrap?

It's a wonder anyone has a relationship nowadays with all this utterly stupid and damaging false accusation and attention seeking.
  • Options
    CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leave it for now, if he says anything again you need to go straight to the Police, because chances are it won't just be you he is doing it to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WTF has this world come to? Someone asks for your phone number and that is sexual harassment? :rolleyes:

How on earth did you meet your current attachment? Did you first correspond for 10 years from separate concrete cells wrapped in bubble wrap?

It's a wonder anyone has a relationship nowadays with all this utterly stupid and damaging false accusation and attention seeking.

She was followed, let me follow your mother/sister down the street and demand a lunch date with them pal...let's see how open and tolerant you are then.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,074
    Forum Member
    If it's the first time he's done this he was just trying his luck to see if you'd take him up on it. It's not sexual harrassment at this time.
  • Options
    Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just ignore him and if he still harasses you inform the police and they might warn him off.

Strangely enough I was sitting in my car with the window open at the train station waiting for my son. Suddenly this old guy pulls up in a white van and starts talking to me. So I turned up my car radio and closed the car window until he drove off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She was followed, let me follow your mother/sister down the street and demand a lunch date with them pal...let's see how open and tolerant you are then.

For goodness sake she didn't say he demanded she go to lunch. And just how far did he follow her? Just long enough to ask two questions and get rebuffed before turning and going back whence he came.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's the first time he's done this he was just trying his luck to see if you'd take him up on it. It's not sexual harrassment at this time.

He has done it three times now but this time it worse I think he must do it to others do i am thinking of doing an anonymous tip off but he did leave me after a while so i am not to sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am 21 but could pass for about 16 he looks about late 30's he is eastern European maybe that is normal in there countries but i don't know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He has done it three times now but this time it worse I think he must do it to others do i am thinking of doing an anonymous tip off but he did leave me after a while so i am not to sure.

Your OP doesn't make it sound like the third time. If it is as scary as you say then report it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For goodness sake she didn't say he demanded she go to lunch. And just how far did he follow her? Just long enough to ask two questions and get rebuffed before turning and going back whence he came.

about 100 yards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your OP doesn't make it sound like the third time. If it is as scary as you say then report it.

First time i shrugged it off but he always crosses the road to try and give me a leaflet.what about if he seeks revenge ?
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, try and be strong and tell him next time that he is making you uncomfortable and that if he carries on you will report him. This may be enough to make him stop. Is there no one you can walk to college with?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    about 100 yards.

Honestly! He's trying to get you to take a leaflet. The best thing to do instead of looking like a scared rabbit and hurtling off is just look straight ahead, walk normal speed and just say 'No' in a firm way to each and any question. If he lays a hand on you, or stands in your way to try and impede you then report it as soon as you can (not 999 though) or if near the station turn on your heels and go back and ask the staff there if they can help you.
    Otherwise imo you're getting yourself stressed over something I don't think you need to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly! He's trying to get you to take a leaflet. The best thing to do instead of looking like a scared rabbit and hurtling off is just look straight ahead, walk normal speed and just say 'No' in a firm way to each and any question. If he lays a hand on you, or stands in your way to try and impede you then report it as soon as you can (not 999 though) or if near the station turn on your heels and go back and ask the staff there if they can help you.
    Otherwise imo you're getting yourself stressed over something I don't think you need to.

What planet do you live on where somebody pursues somebody else for 100 yards for the sole purpose of handing them a leaflet?

I assure you as a man there is only one thing this man wanted to give the OP and it's not a leaflet.
  • Options
    Forum Member

What a bloke following a girl asking for a date? :eek:

Funny that that has been going on just fine for hundreds of years and no one was stupid enough to call it sexual harassment. :rolleyes:

It's called normal trying to hook up with someone.

What has this silly self-important world come to when people abuse laws that are put in place for REAL problems just to force people to do as they say. It's that that should be criminalised.

A nasty control mindset abusing laws that were put there for real problems. Selfish and insulting to people really affected and insulting to innocent people they make false sexual harassment accusations about.
  • Options
    Saskia44Saskia44 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Blokes can't go following women like that. It is intimidating. Maybe a bit of commonsense from blokes wouldn't go amiss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Funny that that has been going on just fine for hundreds of years and no one was stupid enough to call it sexual harassment. :rolleyes:

What has this silly self-important world come to when people abuse laws that are put in place for REAL problems just to force people to do as they say. It's that that should be criminalised.

A nasty control mindset abusing laws that were put there for real problems. Selfish and insulting to people really affected and insulting to innocent people they make false sexual harassment accusations about.

I am the innocent one there is no one to walk with i do sometimes see a lad on train who walks the same way i may get him to walk with me if i see him.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saskia44 wrote: »
    Blokes can't go following women like that. It is intimidating. Maybe a bit of commonsense from blokes wouldn't go amiss.

It is indeed intimidating. when I was younger I'd have been petrified to be honest especially if it was an older bloke. Some women just are not comfortable with wolf whistles, comments, being followed by strange men. The 39 year old me would happily tell him "aw, look mate, you're boring me now. Approach me again and I'll shove your testicles down your throat, now do one".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What planet do you live on where somebody pursues somebody else for 100 yards for the sole purpose of handing them a leaflet?

I assure you as a man there is only one thing this man wanted to give the OP and it's not a leaflet.

Yes out here in the real world we call that trying to pick someone up. (I didn't invent it, it's been going on since Adam and Eve!)

I think the new generation live way too much on facebook to the point that really meeting people is a skill they can't handle any longer.

The worst part being that because of their own self-importance they think that it's them that is normal and able to abuse any law they like to get what they want. :rolleyes:

All because he didn't use the correct way to approach someone and that is to ask for a friendship request on Facebook. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Typical male response. It is the third time, so he is clearly not getting the message and refusing to take no for an answer. It is harrassment. He is also considerably older - and clearly doesn't have much in the way of brain cells.

And if your way of hooking up with someone is harrassing women in the streets - I suggest you work on improving your communication skills.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes out here in the real world we call that trying to pick someone up. (I didn't invent it, it's been going on since Adam and Eve!)

I think the new generation live way too much on facebook to the point that really meeting people is a skill they can't handle any longer.

The worst part being that because of their own self-importance they think that it's them that is normal and able to abuse any law they like to get what they want. :rolleyes:

All because he didn't use the correct way to approach someone and that is to ask for a friendship request on Facebook. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What is getting what she wants - to be left alone by creepy blokes in the street. Not unreasonable I would say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ignored him the first two times i only responded the third time.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't complain as such but Inform the police about how his behaviour, which was not a one-off, makes you feel; ie uncomfortable; and ask if an officer could have a quiet word to explain this to him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh I'm out of here as the "I'm a little weak female" card is now being abused to get what they want.

How anyone of you would have coped in the real world before Facebook is not worth thinking about.

It really is insulting to victims of genuine abuse and innocent people who this new generation so readily make false accusations about.

Enjoy your self-pity and self-righteous control by abusing laws.