Do you Think The Death Penalty Should be back in the UK

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
Forum Member
What do you think and why?

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    no, i don`t believe two wrongs make a right.
  • Options
    Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. It doesn't save any money, it doesn't deter potential criminals and you can't guarantee you've got the right person. There is no rewind button should the wrong person get convicted.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No <filler>
  • Options
    manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, for child killers and cop killers, where there's absolutely no doubt of guilt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nooope.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    lol, no. we're better than that, arent we?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, for child killers and cop killers, where there's absolutely no doubt of guilt.

Why only children and police? Any cold-blooded murder is the same in my eyes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why only children and police? Any cold-blooded murder is the same in my eyes.

Yes, was just thinking that after I'd posted. Okay any cold-blooded murder trhen bu of course not self-defence murdewrs or after marital abuse etc.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You mean killers who are or were cops?:rolleyes:

That should keep the hangman busy.:D
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I don't, I've always been against the death penalty.
  • Options
    felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    Not even remotely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't think convcted scum like Ian Brady, Peter Sutcliffe and Ian Huntley deserve to live and it would save us millions in not having to keep them in prison for the rest of their lives. Let's face it, none of them are ever coming out.
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't believe there should be a death 'penalty'.

If you were to ask me if, in the most extreme cases (such as cold-blooded murder supported by overwhelmingly compelling evidence and not contested by the defendant) an option could be offered of euthanasia, and on the basis of dispensing with redundant notions of 'punishment' or even 'revenge' given the hardly atonable severity of the crimes concerned, the answer would be different.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Nope and it's good to see a lot of other people think the same.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A referendum would be the best idea.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Yes I do.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes i do.
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, there are been too many miscarriages of justice already including falsified police evidence, had the death sentence been in place in these cases many innocents would now be dead instead of walking free.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,077
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    A referendum would be the best idea.

Why? The government can't bring it back in any case. I certainly don't think they should.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    I just don't think convcted scum like Ian Brady, Peter Sutcliffe and Ian Huntley deserve to live and it would save us millions in not having to keep them in prison for the rest of their lives. Let's face it, none of them are ever coming out.

whether somebody "deserves to live" and whether we would be right to take that life are two completely different arguments for me
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

No it wouldn't.

Having someone on death row in the States costs a huge amount of money, as of course, you have to factor in all the appeals and everything else that goes with it, including huge number of lawyers and their fees. It can actually be more expensive to have someone on death row for many years than just locking them away in prison for the rest of their lives.

There are other arguments, such as it not being a deterrent anyway as most major criminals just don't think they are going to get caught, the fact that keeping them in prison gives them time to think about what they have done for the rest of their lives, rather than being executed where it's all over quickly once the execution order is given. Plus of course, as long as we are in the EU it just isn't going to happen anyway.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely not. Abolition was one of the very few instances where Parliament was right to go against public opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Yes it should be brought back. IMO, if one commits murder, one's human rights are void.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why? The government can't bring it back in any case.

Why not?