Options

Who is the voice of our generation?

Comments

• Options
    rnbboyrnbboy Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Rihanna

Sorry dud you miss the title .. Voice. .?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Lewnaticc wrote: »

Of course, Christina is questionable. She lost most of her relevance back in 2006

Wait, what? 2006. Hell no. Christina owned that decade, well from 2002-2008 at least. 2006 was her album, Back to Basics, which sold very well, and led to her biggest world tour ever. 2008 was her greatest hits album which did well. Her 2010 album Bionic was a flop, so I'd say 2009-10 was when she lost her relevance sadly...maybe she'll pull a Mariah out the bag and have an absolutely massive comeback. I mean, Jennifer Lopez did it (even if it was momentarily) and Christina is a lot more well-known and talented.

To the idiot who asked what her legacy would be, it's this small song you may have heard of called Beautiful. I swear that song gets sung on X Factor every freakin' year. Little Mix did it last year, then Rebecca Ferguson the year before lol.

I do agree about Whitney, Mariah, maybe Celine...then Christina for the noughties. Right now I don't see any outstanding voice. Beyonce never really reached a high enough level and never will IMO, even though she is still a very talented singer. Christina has made a lot more mistakes singing than Beyonce has, but that's because Christina always pushed herself, and when she got it right, she was insanely good.

And that's my dissertation on why Christina is the voice of the noughties. I would give myself about 76% for that, B+.
  • Options
    rnbboyrnbboy Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Whitney is the voice of the generation. .. She set the bar and kept the bar!,
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Susan Boyle
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eh?

i see another old saying has been re-defined by a mob of youngsters..

the 'voice of a generation' ISNT the best singer, or wasnt... it was someone, a spokespearson, who voiced what the youth of the day were feeling, someone who encapsulated the mood of that generation, someone who that generation looked upto not only for the music they produced but who said something that clicked with their lives.

so listing your favoured female artists is simnply wrong.

in what way has christina, beyonce, mariah, adele, etc etc etc spoke for a generation? when did they address the problems of growing up in todays world?

bob dylan, john lennon, johnny rotten, hell even gallagher brothers (to some extent), did this... those wailing bints you lot have listed did not.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Whitney at her peak was way above Mariah.

I don't think anyone could match Whitney on a good day to be honest. I think the Oscars 1999 where they both sang When You Believe showed Mariah was out of her depth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7qX3eQVnQ0

Mariah's voice had already started to decline when they recorded that duet. Had they recorded it a few years earlier Mariah would have given Whitney a better run for her money. Their performance on Oprah was a different story, Mariah bettered Whitney. Mariah in her prime could do things that Whitney couldn't. Likewise Whitney could also do things that Mariah couldn't.
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait, what? 2006. Hell no. Christina owned that decade, well from 2002-2008 at least. 2006 was her album, Back to Basics, which sold very well, and led to her biggest world tour ever. 2008 was her greatest hits album which did well. Her 2010 album Bionic was a flop, so I'd say 2009-10 was when she lost her relevance sadly...maybe she'll pull a Mariah out the bag and have an absolutely massive comeback. I mean, Jennifer Lopez did it (even if it was momentarily) and Christina is a lot more well-known and talented.
    Yes, 2006 was her last success, and therefore when her relevance began to dwindle quickly after. Bionic and Lotus are both colossal flops. It's not even like Mariah who just went completely nuts and released these two terrible albums that, while didn't sell, everyone had something to say about them. People just don't seem interested in Christina before. And I doubt she can pull a Mariah and have some massive comeback with the biggest song of her career, I think Mariah managed that because she writes and produces her stuff so she knew what needed to be done and how to do it herself. J-Lo on the other hand was a complete fluke, she just got lucky with a song.
    To the idiot who asked what her legacy would be, it's this small song you may have heard of called Beautiful. I swear that song gets sung on X Factor every freakin' year. Little Mix did it last year, then Rebecca Ferguson the year before lol.
    One song does not qualify as a legacy. Where's the rest of her back cataloge, where are all of her famous songs? Where's her I Wanna Dance With Somebody, I Will Always Love You, Hero, We Belong Together?
    nd that's my dissertation on why Christina is the voice of the noughties. I would give myself about 76% for that, B+.
    B+ for effort, but as far as building a constructive argument it sounded very biased because you're obviously quite a big fan of her. Which is fine, but don't let it cloud your reality.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    d56 wrote: »
    I agree Christina is very talented.

Its just a shame she has such a bad attitude, or maybe she would be in a better place in her career.

Like the brilliant Mary J Blige once said: "I don't like her, because she has a nasty attitude. Britney Spears can't sing like you, but she will go farther than you because she knows how to respect and treat her people...from fans to supporters. She (Christina) was just very nasty"

Shows a good voice can bring you so far, but not the full way, as the flops Bionic and Lotus have proven.
    She does have a bad reputation, but I don't think she's as much of a bitch as people blame her to be. If we take Mary J Blige as an example, she made these bad comments about Christina and then 5 years later, Christina performed in a tribute for her (MJB Honors), so I suppose it's all ok between them now. As far as Britney goes, I love her too, but although her fans deny it and will continue to do so, she's pretty much in the same boat with Christina right now, so her "good" attitude (according to MJB) didn't take her that much farther. Britney is also experiencing a major sales decline (except for the US where she's still much more successful than Christina), she only gets SMASH hits with collaborations (again, except for the US) and she has to retreat to judging panels to get the cash she used to get from music.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I do agree about Whitney, Mariah, maybe Celine...then Christina for the noughties. Right now I don't see any outstanding voice. Beyonce never really reached a high enough level and never will IMO, even though she is still a very talented singer. Christina has made a lot more mistakes singing than Beyonce has, but that's because Christina always pushed herself, and when she got it right, she was insanely good.

And that's my dissertation on why Christina is the voice of the noughties. I would give myself about 76% for that, B+.

I don't think you understand legacy.

That Friday song was a huge internet smash. Does that mean the girl singing it has a big legacy behind her?
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eh?

the 'voice of a generation' ISNT the best singer, or wasnt... it was someone, a spokespearson, who voiced what the youth of the day were feeling, someone who encapsulated the mood of that generation, someone who that generation looked upto not only for the music they produced but who said something that clicked with their lives.

in what way has christina, beyonce, mariah, adele, etc etc etc spoke for a generation? when did they address the problems of growing up in todays world?

bob dylan, john lennon, johnny rotten, hell even gallagher brothers (to some extent), did this... those wailing bints you lot have listed did not.

Absolutely agree...and they can't even agree on who has the best voice...

If there was a voice for this girl's generation, it might be Amy Winehouse who was on point to some degree but was self destructive...Gaga has shown some creativity...though not recently. And they're so quick to rule out Rihanna who does reflect a popular obessession with sexuality...she's very on point.

The closest for me but she has been at it for a while is Mary J Blige.
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eh?

I think it's fairly obvious in the context of this thread that 'Voice of a Generation' is referring to SINGERS. And it should be no surprise to anyone that all this vocal acrobatic hoo-har is predominantly led by female artists. While you are right in your definition of 'Voice of a Generation', it's not what this thread was getting at...and you clearly know that.
  • Options
    TransponsterTransponster Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amy Winehouse
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Absolutely agree...and they can't even agree on who has the best voice...

If there was a voice for this girl's generation, it might be Amy Winehouse who was on point to some degree but was self destructive...Gaga has shown some creativity...though not recently. And they're so quick to rule out Rihanna who does reflect a popular obessession with sexuality...she's very on point.

The closest for me but she has been at it for a while is Mary J Blige.

Agree that she's by far the best vocalist mentioned in this thread as she has more soul, more passion and more raw emotion in the voice than all of the others put together.

Whitney had a beautiful voice but her material was dreadful, watered down pop pap that wasn't worthy of her talent. For me, I don't get the love for Mariah, don't get it at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Agree that she's by far the best vocalist mentioned in this thread as she has more soul, more passion and more raw emotion in the voice than all of the others put together.

Whitney had a beautiful voice but her material was dreadful, watered down pop pap that wasn't worthy of her talent. For me, I don't get the love for Mariah, don't get it at all.
    More soul, more passion and more pitch problems! I like how everyone is quick to dismiss Christina's "oversinging" and Mariah's "whispering", but Mary J Blige can't even sing on key and it's ok to bring her up. And you actually think she's better than Whitney? Mary J Blige wouldn't even qualify as a background singer for Whitney. She has no range and hardly any power.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    More soul, more passion and more pitch problems! I like how everyone is quick to dismiss Christina's "oversinging" and Mariah's "whispering", but Mary J Blige can't even sing on key and it's ok to bring her up. And you actually think she's better than Whitney? Mary J Blige wouldn't even qualify as a background singer for Whitney. She has no range and hardly any power.

I think Mary J is great, but not "the vocalist" of a generation. However, I highly rate her friend Tamar Braxton, she has an incredible voice, I think she's definitely a better singer than Christina and her sister Toni. I think she comes quite close (as a modern singer) to Mariah in terms of ability and I think her voice sounds incredible, even though she doesn't have that much material to judge it on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I think Mary J is great, but not "the vocalist" of a generation. However, I highly rate her friend Tamar Braxton, she has an incredible voice, I think she's definitely a better singer than Christina and her sister Toni. I think she comes quite close (as a modern singer) to Mariah in terms of ability and I think her voice sounds incredible, even though she doesn't have that much material to judge it on.

Toni always says that Tamar is the better singer. Even back in the day when she was trying to help move her sisters careers along, but people wouldn't take to it. Tamar's problem was that during that time, she just wasn't unique enough. In a world of Whitney and Mariah, there were enough black power vocalists singing love songs, but also enough singing RnB love songs like Mary J Blidge, and the host of girl groups during that time. Toni had a unique voice in the same way that Anita Baker shined through.

At the moment, most of the black vocalists singing RnB love songs don't have a budget and Tamar is the one that gets the shine. In an ageist business you'd think Elle Varner, Tamia, Melanie Fiona, and Chrissette Michelle would be ahead of her, but here she is and they are all still in small venues. In Tamia's case, she was and I think still is an independent artist, but still got her Grammy nomination with Claude Kelly executive producing the album. It's funny how these girls are barely scratching the surface, but Brandy, whose career was thought to be over, made a comeback, and Tamar is making waves.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    Toni always says that Tamar is the better singer. Even back in the day when she was trying to help move her sisters careers along, but people wouldn't take to it. Tamar's problem was that during that time, she just wasn't unique enough. In a world of Whitney and Mariah, there were enough black power vocalists singing love songs, but also enough singing RnB love songs like Mary J Blidge, and the host of girl groups during that time. Toni had a unique voice in the same way that Anita Baker shined through.

At the moment, most of the black vocalists singing RnB love songs don't have a budget and Tamar is the one that gets the shine. In an ageist business you'd think Elle Varner, Tamia, Melanie Fiona, and Chrissette Michelle would be ahead of her, but here she is and they are all still in small venues. In Tamia's case, she was and I think still is an independent artist, but still got her Grammy nomination with Claude Kelly executive producing the album. It's funny how these girls are barely scratching the surface, but Brandy, whose career was thought to be over, made a comeback, and Tamar is making waves.

This is a great post. I do agree with what you said about Tamar. Toni has said that Tamar is the best singer out of all the girls, but L.A and Babyface picked Toni because she was the oldest and could have a more mature sound. I think Tamar was only around 13 when Toni was signed, and in those days it was unheard of for someone so young to get a contract that quickly, most of the stars from those times were signed in their late teens, so I can see why Toni was the one that got chosen, I'm not discrediting her as I love her, but Tamar is a better vocalist than her, and I think they both do have star quality out of all the sisters.

Tamar did form a group with the rest of the sisters except for Traci, and they performed live with Jay-Z, but commercially they were a flop, and the same happened with her first solo album. Personally I think her first solo album was good enough for commercial success, she worked with some excellent producers, Missy, Tricky, Jermaine Dupri etc, but sometimes things don't always work out, but the excellent thing about that album was that it really showed off Tamar's potential...now 13 years later she is finally seeing some success, but to me she feels more like a new artist as she hasn't had the chance to establish herself like some of the R&B divas you mentioned....Personally I think Tamar is probably the best black female vocalist in the industry right now, her voice is incredible and she can deliver it live as well.

She's played it right this time around and come back with some great music, it shows that if you work hard enough you can always make it back to the top. A #1 on the main US iTunes chart AND two R&B iTunes #1 singles is very impressive for her considering she wasn't widely known until very recently. I think she is one to watch, she's a great performer and her voice is one of the best in the game.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »

There's a few RnB singers that have been mentioned here who I don't really know but I've listened to all Mary J and I don't think she ever does a duff track.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which generation are we talking about, mine? Yours?
  • Options
    crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was listening to Ana earlier! Her voice is like a force of nature, hope she is getting better too!

Yep her voice is insanely good, she is becoming underrated these days sadly, I'm looking forward to her new album! :D

Having a great voice isn't just about being technically great, remember that people, what about warmth, emotion and character? ;)
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    Current generation - so last 10 years?

i guess (not my fave but the most mainstream and iconic) of the era:
    pop vocalist - Britney Spears; Rihanna; Adele
    rap/hiphop - Jay Z
    rock/guitar/band - Chris Martin (Coldplay)
    rnb/soul - Beyonce; Amy Winehouse
    country - Taylor Swift
  • Options
    crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Current generation - so last 10 years?

i guess (not my fave but the most mainstream and iconic) of the era:
    pop vocalist - Britney Spears; Rihanna; Adele
    rap/hiphop - Jay Z
    rock/guitar/band - Chris Martin (Coldplay)
    rnb/soul - Beyonce; Amy Winehouse
    country - Taylor Swift

It represents the most popular I guess but what a poor showing of great talent. Amy is good, Adele is also (although very overrated), Chris is OK but it's not a great list. :o
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leanne Mitchell obvs..
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heather Small, of course!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leanne Mitchell obvs..

Even though I know this was said out or sarcasm. She does have an amazing voice.