Options

Talksport Chat (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I thought I caught the tail end of something. It pleases me when a guest puts him in his place, reminds me of when Paul Breen Turner tore into him a few years ago.
  • Options
    stormy-weathersstormy-weathers Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shylock wrote: »
    Did Irani just have a spat with Peter Reid?

Yes if you press on 0800-0830 timeslot and then at about
    7.39 mins in you will hear it

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/listen-again/episode/114308
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    I'd still much sooner have current affairs overnight on talkSPORT than sport and always will (not necessarily the return of the Nigel's of this world but good proper phone-in debate) but having said that after listening to Extra Time during the night with Russell Hargreaves it sounded much better than when Mike Graham does it or any of the american guest presenters. The problem with me is I know Mike Graham knows bugger all about football (or any sport) this is not his fault he's just in the wrong job now, he should have gone when the format changed. And regarding the american slant what were they thinking doing that?, it was awful, thankfully they have come to their senses and scrapped it, it was quite listenable last night with Hargreaves I wish they'd replace Graham with Russell.
    I'm still not going to be a regular listener overnight I have nailed my colours to the mast saying I want current affairs back but if and when I am awake during the night and Hargreaves is on I would listen for a while, if it's Graham it will go straight off because I know he's doing an Irani and bluffing his way through.

Billy, current affairs overnight are never coming back, we always knew that:(

But I don't see your problem with Mike Graham:confused: I listen to him for about an hour now and then and he's just fine, knowledgeable about sport and seems to be enjoying himself. Have you tuned in to tuned to an alternative universe erroneously :D
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 202,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Venetian wrote: »

But I don't see your problem with Mike Graham:confused: I listen to him for about an hour now and then and he's just fine, knowledgeable about sport and seems to be enjoying himself.

<snip>

Sorry Ven, but I'm the same dont think I've listened to more than an hour in the last year, I like MG but if I heard the 'plastic yanks', it was over to 5live ( Sorry Diff ) ;)

btw Ven....... dont work to hard its friday ! :D

& as for the Sonys, only two up for awards from wot I can see ( K & G plus Durham ) ........someone not been doing there job right on this thread ........... shame on you, you know who you are ! :p

http://www.radioacademyawards.org/Nominees/index.cfm?nominees_year=2013&winners_award_group_id=4&winners_award_category_id=29
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    <snip>

Sorry Ven, but I'm the same dont think I've listened to more than an hour in the last year, I like MG but if I heard the 'plastic yanks', it was over to 5live ( Sorry Diff ) ;)

btw Ven....... dont work to hard its friday ! :D

& as for the Sonys, only two up for awards from wot I can see ( K & G plus Durham ) ........someone not been doing there job right on this thread ........... shame on you, you know who you are ! :p

http://www.radioacademyawards.org/Nominees/index.cfm?nominees_year=2013&winners_award_group_id=4&winners_award_category_id=29

Thanks Sleeps:

No danger of that: POETS day tomorrow;)
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd still much sooner have current affairs overnight on talkSPORT than sport and always will (not necessarily the return of the Nigel's of this world but good proper phone-in debate) but having said that after listening to Extra Time during the night with Russell Hargreaves it sounded much better than when Mike Graham does it or any of the american guest presenters. The problem with me is I know Mike Graham knows bugger all about football (or any sport) this is not his fault he's just in the wrong job now, he should have gone when the format changed. And regarding the american slant what were they thinking doing that?, it was awful, thankfully they have come to their senses and scrapped it, it was quite listenable last night with Hargreaves I wish they'd replace Graham with Russell.
    I'm still not going to be a regular listener overnight I have nailed my colours to the mast saying I want current affairs back but if and when I am awake during the night and Hargreaves is on I would listen for a while, if it's Graham it will go straight off because I know he's doing an Irani and bluffing his way through.

Russell Hargreaves is an excellent host, isn't he?

He is extremely knowledgeable about a variety of sports, is enthusiastic yet softly spoken and considered. He's the kind of broadcaster who would not only not sound out of place on Radio 5 Live but could probably quite easily slot straight in on that station without having to adjust his manner. He's done well when covering for Andrew McKenna on Full Contact and his commentary/reporting work is always very good. I think he's one of the best presenters on the station right now, I'd put him up there with the likes of Danny Kelly.

I went off Extra Time towards the end of last summer but have been listening to it more and more - particularly on Saturdays mornings if I am working - since Russell has become a regular presenter at weekends and with Mike Graham away this week its a good move to move Russell into the weekday shows as cover. I caught a bit of the show last night and Russ handled news of the death of British sailor Andrew Simpson in a sensitive manner.

On a general note, while I know a load of you would obviously prefer to hear the kind of programme Adrian Goldberg or Duncan Barkes hosted overnight rather than Extra Time - if you are fair about things and just judge Extra Time on its own merits, I think you'd have to agree that it is now a very listenable show. It includes lots of good items about a variety of sports and the recent-ish format changes have only served to tighten things up and improve the show.

Forgive me, but I've stuck The Sports Bar on and I'm actually quite enjoying it. It's a bit of an indulgent programme as far as Bobby Gould is concerned as they are doing a retrospective on the 1988 FA Cup Final where Wimbledon beat Liverpool, complete with fans providing their nostalgia of the game and they even have Graham Beecroft doing reports on the final! He's watching a DVD of the game but updating it as if it was live! A bit silly but good fun. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I don't mind the sports bar but im starting to get fed up with Goldstein,
    Everytime they do that wheel of Cundy and Cundy is telling a decent story, Goldstein has to keep chirping in or playing rubbish soundclips to hog the limelight. Im starting to get irked by him and have switched off.
    I agree that Russel Hargreaves has been aloy better on the overnight slot. Extra time is quite decent aprt from all the boring american sports but not everybody follows football, i know loadsa people who follow basketball, american football.
  • Options
    gouldfathergouldfather Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darreldo wrote: »
    Everytime they do that wheel of Cundy and Cundy is telling a decent story, Goldstein has to keep chirping in or playing rubbish soundclips to hog the limelight. Im starting to get irked by him and have switched off.
    I agree that Russel Hargreaves has been aloy better on the overnight slot. Extra time is quite decent aprt from all the boring american sports but not everybody follows football, i know loadsa people who follow basketball, american football.

Good early morning darreldo:)

Firstly, you have made some great points.

I am so happy you are enjoying the Andy Goldstein Sportsbar with Jason Cundy. I think the Wheel of Cundy feature is really funny and I am enjoying it along with you. One day they might actually land on Ronnie Irani, I can't wait!:)

You are right again, American sports are generally poor but baseball is a great watch as long as you have lots of beer to drink ha ha:D

Great to hear from you and keep it TalkSport:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought last night's The Sports Bar was an excellent show. With it being 25 years since Wimbledon won the FA Cup, the three hour retrospective of the final was really well put together and you could hear how much Bobby Gould was enjoying the nostalgia. It was a really fun listen, I'm not usually a Sports Bar listener but I'm glad I tuned in.

I even enjoyed what I heard of Drive Time yesterday - shows always tend to be better when Alvin Martin is involved but yesterday they used The Daily Arsenal as an excuse to look back on West Ham United winning the 1980 FA Cup (beating Arsenal in the final) with Trevor Brooking coming on to share with memories with his former teammate.

In short, FA Cup Final weekend is bringing the best out of talkSPORT - there's definitely room for a bit of nostalgia on the station.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pleasant surprise to hear H&J on air today!
  • Options
    DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think that's Goldstein al over sadly. Uncanny knack of always butting in at the wrong time.
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Venetian wrote: »

But I don't see your problem with Mike Graham:confused: I listen to him for about an hour now and then and he's just fine, knowledgeable about sport and seems to be enjoying himself. Have you tuned in to tuned to an alternative universe erroneously :D

Ven Mike Graham knows virtually nothing about football or sport in general so I don't think he should be anchoring a 5 hour 4 nights a week national broadcast sports show end of really as far as I'm concerned. ;)
    Regarding current affairs I think it will come back!! ... never give in, never give up hope. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More Irani blunders now in 'Compilation Two' it's early days and only includes three new ones yet but be patient he's bound to drop more sooner than later. :D

Coming up for your culinary delight tonight .....
    Snooker player Jimmy White explains to Irani and Brazil he would like Mourinho back at his beloved Chelsea, Irani jumps in straight after he's finished speaking and asks who he'd like as the next Chelsea manager!!. :p
    Then it's Billy Liargate, we hear first Ronnie tell us he was at the match when Roy Keane ended Alf Inge-Haaland’s football career quickly followed by him trying to worm himself out of it after realising he's finally been caught out!. :D
    And ends with Peter Reid being sarcastic telling know-all Irani he should have got the Manchester United job. :p

http://youtu.be/qa45ECZss1E
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone spot Ian Abrahams getting the brush off from Roberto Martinez when attempting to interview him moments after the full-time whistle this evening? :p

You could see him clearly on ITV's coverage trying and failing to speak to him live. To be fair to Moose, he did manage to grab Roberto for a couple of minutes after the trophy had been presented at about 7.30pm (during ITV's final commercial break anyway, I'd flicked over briefly), and he does do a good job of collaring players after cup finals.

I listened to a fair bit of talkSPORT's build-up to the FA Cup Final - they did a good job of setting the scene earlier in the day. Going by what I heard today, Danny Murphy has a promising media career in front of him. He spoke well with Adrian Durham this afternoon and I know he's done bits of punditry and co-commentary for Sky Sports in recent times as well. I suspect his future lies in TV but I wouldn't mind hearing him on the radio again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone spot Ian Abrahams getting the brush off from Roberto Martinez when attempting to interview him moments after the full-time whistle this evening? :p

You could see him clearly on ITV's coverage trying and failing to speak to him live. To be fair to Moose, he did manage to grab Roberto for a couple of minutes after the trophy had been presented at about 7.30pm (during ITV's final commercial break anyway, I'd flicked over briefly), and he does do a good job of collaring players after cup finals.

I listened to a fair bit of talkSPORT's build-up to the FA Cup Final - they did a good job of setting the scene earlier in the day. Going by what I heard today, Danny Murphy has a promising media career in front of him. He spoke well with Adrian Durham this afternoon and I know he's done bits of punditry and co-commentary for Sky Sports in recent times as well. I suspect his future lies in TV but I wouldn't mind hearing him on the radio again.

I seen that, didn't realise it was the Moose tho!

So your on a thread that tells everyone whos Commentating on every match on the radio, but you listen to the commentary on ITV ? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So your on a thread that tells everyone whos Commentating on every match on the radio, but you listen to the commentary on ITV ? :confused:

That's about the size of it, at least as far as today's game was concerned. I did listen to a fair bit of talkSPORT's build-up. I usually listen to more football on talkSPORT and other radio stations than I watch live on TV during a typical weekend of league games though, hence why I contribute to that thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's about the size of it, at least as far as today's game was concerned. I did listen to a fair bit of talkSPORT's build-up. I usually listen to more football on talkSPORT and other radio stations than I watch live on TV during a typical weekend of league games though, hence why I contribute to that thread.

Glad we put that one to bed then Diff ! :p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes caught it on talksport as it went out lol, went something like "ROBERTO ROBERTO ROBERTO ROBERTO ROBERTO" {sounds of the moose's heaving breathing after only 15 yards and then silence as Martinez just iggied him} :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not being much of a fan of the over-excited style that talksport provide I unexpectedly found myself listening to today's cup final via talksport because I wasn't near a TV. It was alright, Stan shouted and bigged everything up as usual but they did provide a good service and I was mightily pleased in the end that Wigan beat the moneymen.

It's a shame the Wigan players and staff can't now do what cup winners have always done after winning England's biggest domestic cup competition go out and celebrate their great win, instead the glorified Premier League awaits with its final two "mustn't lose" matches so the cup winners can stay on the rich gravy train for another year because these days that is the only thing that really matters isn't it. :(

The FA Cup competition is in my view irreparably seriously damaged, :( Lord Ferguson started it all off pulling his team out of it in 1999 to take part in a world team championship competition, then Mister Wenger decided he'd make it his own private under 20 competition and save his best players for league battles and everyone else followed suit. Then they ditched the exciting replays system of deciding matches and after that started messing around with the kick-off times, they've mucked about with it so much now that fans have lost a lot of interest in it and it's going to take hell and earth to get the interest back again.

Utterly and completely ruined and devalued but nice one Wigan today you've lit a candle on the once finest football competition in the entire world. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Russell Hargreaves is an excellent host, isn't he?

He is extremely knowledgeable about a variety of sports, is enthusiastic yet softly spoken and considered. He's the kind of broadcaster who would not only not sound out of place on Radio 5 Live but could probably quite easily slot straight in on that station without having to adjust his manner. He's done well when covering for Andrew McKenna on Full Contact and his commentary/reporting work is always very good. I think he's one of the best presenters on the station right now, I'd put him up there with the likes of Danny Kelly.

I went off Extra Time towards the end of last summer but have been listening to it more and more - particularly on Saturdays mornings if I am working - since Russell has become a regular presenter at weekends and with Mike Graham away this week its a good move to move Russell into the weekday shows as cover. I caught a bit of the show last night and Russ handled news of the death of British sailor Andrew Simpson in a sensitive manner.

On a general note, while I know a load of you would obviously prefer to hear the kind of programme Adrian Goldberg or Duncan Barkes hosted overnight rather than Extra Time - if you are fair about things and just judge Extra Time on its own merits, I think you'd have to agree that it is now a very listenable show. It includes lots of good items about a variety of sports and the recent-ish format changes have only served to tighten things up and improve the show.

Forgive me, but I've stuck The Sports Bar on and I'm actually quite enjoying it. It's a bit of an indulgent programme as far as Bobby Gould is concerned as they are doing a retrospective on the 1988 FA Cup Final where Wimbledon beat Liverpool, complete with fans providing their nostalgia of the game and they even have Graham Beecroft doing reports on the final! He's watching a DVD of the game but updating it as if it was live! A bit silly but good fun. :p

I have only heard him a few times yet but YES Diff I would say Russell Hargreaves seems a very good radio broadcaster and I hope he lands a full-time position at talksport if he wants that. What I said the other day about Hargreaves was totally serious he was much better in my view than Mike Graham will ever be.
    That was the point I was trying to get over, I wasn't just knocking Extra Time, I was just saying Hargreaves is so much better than Graham because he is slick, seems very well suited to sport and seems to know his stuff. Give me him anytime over Graham, if Hargreaves is on I have now decided I will listen in future if and when I am awake during the night, the show is varied and a decent listen with RH.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder how may fans Andy Goldstein has left?, people seem to be going off him in waves, even people that once liked him are now sick of him. I've never liked him and have always said so, the Sports Bar could be good without him why can't the dozy bosses running the station see it?.
    Glad you enjoyed Russel Hargreaves overnight, I did too, bet this can't go on for long a good presenter on overnights,:p expect the Beeb to step in anytime with an offer and nick him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still wondering why Peter Reid suddenly reared up against Ronnie like he did yesterday on the breakfast show?, they've got on well in the past as far as I can remember. Maybe Reid's never liked him all along and just tolerated him but yesterday the mask just slipped.
    Irani certainly got the message alright you could hear that clearly enough and Brazil as usual diverted straight on with something else to save his best pal from his embarrasment. :D
  • Options
    mgnsmgns Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    I'm still wondering why Peter Reid suddenly reared up against Ronnie like he did yesterday on the breakfast show?, they've got on well in the past as far as I can remember. Maybe Reid's never liked him all along and just tolerated him but yesterday the mask just slipped.

I think Reid was part of Pulis' backroom staff at Stoke - maybe he thought Irani was somehow taking the mick out of his mate's ability, by linking him with a big job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Irani certainly got the message alright you could hear that clearly enough and Brazil as usual diverted straight on with something else to save his best pal from his embarrasment. :D

Irani was found out ages ago by the listeners, I think the guests are fed up with him too asking awful questions and his lack of knowledge about anything otherthan Essex cricket club.
This discussion has been closed.