Options

Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Oh, my. But, I have to believe that he is proud of his weight loss and improved physical condition in general, as he should be. It takes a while for weight to reshift around after you've lost that much; eventually his face will fill in a little I think.

I've just realized what the "after" picture reminds me of -- a very old friend who is a retired Episcopal priest. He not only looks like him but has the same smile as Art has now on his FB picture. No wonder it looks so odd to me.

I think that is just a terrible photo. I admire MC weight loss and am sure his face will settle into it. I bet he looks better on camera.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    I think that is just a terrible photo. I admire MC weight loss and am sure his face will settle into it. I bet he looks better on camera.

With his very thin face now, MC is beginning to look more like his mother. I remember she had a small part in 'William and Mary'. Her character was an elderly woman who made plans with William (the undertaker) for her funeral arrangements after her death. :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Connie has just posted a similar photo taken 1 min later and MC is smiling! And looking good. I can't copy it to photobucket sorry may be because I'm on my mobile??

It's on: doc martin ( martin clunes) fan
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    But why would MC be wearing such a heavy coat, zipped all the way up to his chin, when people around him are in sleeveless tops and even tank tops? My vote goes to this being ME. I think Louisa is already influencing his style (as much as she can). :D:D:D

He's cold now that that extra layer of body fat is gone? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To me, this is a bigger mystery than the plot of S6.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portwenn59 wrote: »
    With his very thin face now, MC is beginning to look more like his mother. I remember she had a small part in 'William and Mary'. Her character was an elderly woman who made plans with William (the undertaker) for her funeral arrangements after her death. :cry:

If you are talking about S1 Ep.2 of W&M, it was Sheila Burrell who played Viney, the elderly woman arranging for her own funeral, not Martin's mum, I'm afraid.

But perhaps there was another elderly woman I'm forgetting about.
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Portwenn59 wrote: »
    If you are talking about S1 Ep.2 of W&M, it was Sheila Burrell who played Viney, the elderly woman arranging for her own funeral, not Martin's mum, I'm afraid.

But perhaps there was another elderly woman I'm forgetting about.

MC did mention in an interview that his mother was at one of the funerals in W & M but apparently she didn't end up in the final cut of the ep.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    MC did mention in an interview that his mother was at one of the funerals in W & M but apparently she didn't end up in the final cut of the ep.

Thanks, Connie, I had never heard/read that. Seems like I've missed something somewhere. Can you easily point me to it, if possible?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »

I have to agree about the terrrrrrible photo bit. Looking at all the other filming shots we've seen, he's looking pretty okay. So the camera can do some dastardly things to us humans. You should see the one of me that was snapped sitting at the table in the fireplace at The Mote last year! Ghastly, simply ghastly!!

Not to say he hasn't slimmed down but I think it might be partly that we aren't used to seeing bad pix of him. So many are professional shots that better look good or there's no money in them. And he as an actor has to be camera conscious and certainly knows how to compose his face to take a good picture even for amateur photo takers.

Reminds me of the Top Gear episode where Jeremy Clarkson kept commenting on MC's face whilst driving the track round. You can hear MC say that that's just the way his face rests. He's concentrating very hard you can see. And in those moments, he's not "on" for the camera.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://instagram.com/p/ZNomRXueFR/

I think the pic was taken yesterday.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking today while vacuuming my house...

When they first started talking about the sixth series, there was a mention of a 'misdiagnosis' in one of the episodes. What if it's the Doc that is ill? Maybe that would explain the weight loss; maybe he's got symptoms and keeps blowing them off, too busy to worry about it. That would certainly be an interesting twist in the plot. Do you think the writers and BP would make this season that 'heavy'? It would be the ultimate test on the relationship between DM and Louisa.

That being said, I hope I'm wrong, because I would much rather they keep the plot line lighter and happier. I'm sure I'm not alone!

We read earlier in an article that DM misdiagnoses a man's tremor, thinking he is drinking, when he actually has Parkinson's.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

See, photos are weird. He looks just about back to normal, a bit, in that photo. His face looks normal, not all thin and drawn in. Even his legs look a bit bigger than in his skinny trousers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Doc made a similar misdiagnosis that Caroline Bosman's irrational behavior was from drinking rather than diabetes. It is good that this is a fairly mild misdiagnosis of tremors from Parkinson's instead of drinking. Parkinson's progresses slowly and he would eventually figure out the problem. I was concerned that it was a life and death misdiagnosis and that the Doc would lose his medical license and be forced into some other line of work in Portwenn.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    DMfan wrote: »
    I was concerned that it was a life and death misdiagnosis and that the Doc would lose his medical license and be forced into some other line of work in Portwenn.

It's called "Doc Martin", not "Plumber Martin":D. And we all know how much damage he could cause in that line of profession:rolleyes:.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    We read earlier in an article that DM misdiagnoses a man's tremor, thinking he is drinking, when he actually has Parkinson's.

Ah, I had only heard the 'misdiagnosis' part, not the rest. Hmm...I could always use my theory in fan fiction. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    Ah, I had only heard the 'misdiagnosis' part, not the rest. Hmm...I could always use my theory in fan fiction. :rolleyes:

Good idea.
  • Options
    whalewhale Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re MC's mother appearing in W & M, he once said he asked his mother if she wanted to go to her own "funeral" when filming the scene and you can see her in one of the shots behind MC wearing an elegant black hat. It was the funeral of the death of his mother in W & M.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whale wrote: »
    Re MC's mother appearing in W & M, he once said he asked his mother if she wanted to go to her own "funeral" when filming the scene and you can see her in one of the shots behind MC wearing an elegant black hat. It was the funeral of the death of his mother in W & M.

I haven't found the interview yet but MC says something about her being just out of frame. Maybe he was wrong. I'll have to watch and look again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »
    Doc made a similar misdiagnosis that Caroline Bosman's irrational behavior was from drinking rather than diabetes. It is good that this is a fairly mild misdiagnosis of tremors from Parkinson's instead of drinking. Parkinson's progresses slowly and he would eventually figure out the problem. I was concerned that it was a life and death misdiagnosis and that the Doc would lose his medical license and be forced into some other line of work in Portwenn.

As a pharmacist??? :)
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm still standing by my theory that this is ME and not MC. In all of the other pics we have seen of him this chilly spring, he has been in his suit with no coat. The only exception was the series outside the church in Altarnun. He was wearing an ivory colored winter jacket over his suit, but it wasn't even zipped up. The other people hanging around also had on heavy winter coats so it must have been pretty chilly.

The coat zipped up all the way to his chin while some of the people around him are in tank tops and sleveless tops suggest to me that the coat is an acting choice. Can't wait to see who is right ;). I still think Louisa is influencing him.
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He looks terrible. He reminds me of my stepfather when he died and he was 86
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a new series pending? I have always loved it but I did find the last series a little dark - there wasn't much fun and the relationship seemed to be disintegrating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a new series pending? I have always loved it but I did find the last series a little dark - there wasn't much fun and the relationship seemed to be disintegrating.

Hello, Penelope

There is some disagreement about this on the forum, but a number of us agree with you - good synopsis "a little dark - there wasn't much fun and the relationship seemed to be disintegrating." You must know S6 is shooting right now. Glad you joined us. We're currently talking about Martin Clunes' extreme weight loss, and any little tidbits from shooting in Port Isaac people observe or are reporting on Twitter and Facebook. May I ask, are you a fan from the UK or somewhere else?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I'm still standing by my theory that this is ME and not MC. In all of the other pics we have seen of him this chilly spring, he has been in his suit with no coat. The only exception was the series outside the church in Altarnun. He was wearing an ivory colored winter jacket over his suit, but it wasn't even zipped up. The other people hanging around also had on heavy winter coats so it must have been pretty chilly.

The coat zipped up all the way to his chin while some of the people around him are in tank tops and sleveless tops suggest to me that the coat is an acting choice. Can't wait to see who is right ;). I still think Louisa is influencing him.

Not to add to the coat controversy, but ... https://twitter.com/OwstonMichael/status/333629298986590208/photo/1
This discussion has been closed.