Options

Game of Thrones Season 3 - (for those who have read ALL the Books) - SPOILERS.

Comments

• Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw someone on the non-spoiler thread complaining that there had been too many new characters introduced this season :) They know nothing!

I suppose that the tv show is constantly battling with the issue of how they manage main characters that don't appear for ages. Obviously they couldn't do the book version of Theon's story but still they need to end up at the same place. I don't remember Joffers having an awful lot to do between now and his wedding - but it's questionable whether the show can jump from the Red Wedding to his in two episodes - it would be too much for the viewer.

Also the aging of the child actors won't help.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw someone on the non-spoiler thread complaining that there had been too many new characters introduced this season :) They know nothing!

I suppose that the tv show is constantly battling with the issue of how they manage main characters that don't appear for ages. Obviously they couldn't do the book version of Theon's story but still they need to end up at the same place. I don't remember Joffers having an awful lot to do between now and his wedding - but it's questionable whether the show can jump from the Red Wedding to his in two episodes - it would be too much for the viewer.

I don't believe we're getting the Purple Wedding this season, I suspect it's going to happen fairly early on in Season Four and then the EP09 shocker will by Tyrion killing Twyin.
  • Options
    kimotagkimotag Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking about the series today and potential problems for the future.

Will the main actors stay the course? Some might simply want to move on to other things; others might get big offers for other shows/films. Could the show survive losing it's Dany, Tyrion or Jon?

Will the show remain popular and be renewed long enough to finish the story? Already there are non-book-readers who are impatient for Dany to invade Westeros:D Even many book-readers have complained about the glacial pace of the books. Can the show retain enough interest to reach it's conclusion? I really hope so!
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimotag wrote: »

Will the main actors stay the course? Some might simply want to move on to other things; others might get big offers for other shows/films. Could the show survive losing it's Dany, Tyrion or Jon?

Will the show remain popular and be renewed long enough to finish the story? Already there are non-book-readers who are impatient for Dany to invade Westeros:D Even many book-readers have complained about the glacial pace of the books. Can the show retain enough interest to reach it's conclusion? I really hope so!

This is the major problem, as I see it. GRRM is probably not going to finish writing the last novel until about 2020, which means they have to stretch out what is pretty boring stuff after Book 3 for about 3-5 years. I hope TV viewers don't start to get bored when Tyrion is just floating down rivers and canals and Dani has her feet up on top of a pyramid waiting for her dragons to grow.

I love Got (both TV and Book versions) and don't want to see it cancelled, I just hope HBO don't lose interest.
  • Options
    TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimotag wrote: »

I would imagine most of the actors will have signed a clause that allows HBO to basically renew their contract for X seasons.

It is quite amusing reading some of the comments from non-book readers about Dany. They are at a loss as to what she will be doing next if she doesn't head for westeros, they have no idea how valid their concerns are......just a shame GRRM doesn't share them!! :D
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    I would imagine most of the actors will have signed a clause that allows HBO to basically renew their contract for X seasons.

It is quite amusing reading some of the comments from non-book readers about Dany. They are at a loss as to what she will be doing next if she doesn't head for westeros, they have no idea how valid their concerns are......just a shame GRRM doesn't share them!! :D

Ha ha, I saw the same. The logic of the poster was sound - what is Dany going to do? I reckon that you could completely cut her out of the next 3 years of the TV show and it wouldn't make any difference to the overall plot (if it follows the book).

With regards to the show potentially suffering from the slow pace of the books - I think we forget just how much stuff is in each volume and how condensed it is in the TV series. They can cut out a lot of the exposition and just include the drama. I mean Mad Men manages an entire season with only a few broad story arcs!
  • Options
    srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordo350 wrote: »
    I agree completely as well that the series should end with Jon burning Ygritte, but doesn't that happen after the battle? I doubt this series will get that far tbh, taking into account how slow it has been going up until now. Unless they change the battle, because in all honesty that would be bloody impossible to film on a TV budget

There were two battles though, one small one from the south by the guys who climbed the wall in which Ygritte died and a big battle with Manse's main force from the north with Giants and Mamoths etc.
    I can see them having the first battle in ep 9 or 10 this season. and the main battle could be mid season four with Stannis arriving towards the end of season 4, this might be the big ep 9 event of season 4.

I think the series will over take the books. I don't see them stalling the series to wait for book 7. I see three more seasons in the current books and book 6 could be out in that time giving up one or two more seasons of series. But I don't see book 7 coming out in five years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    There were two battles though, one small one from the south by the guys who climbed the wall in which Ygritte died .

Trouble is though, if I saw it correctly, all the climbers were killed in the avalanche leaving just four survivors, Jon, Ygritte, Tormund and Gareth from the Office. Surely they won't attack Castle Black with just 3 of them?!

I suspect a change of plan, whereby Jon and Ygritte try to escape south and Tormund and Orell chase after them, they get to Queenscrown and have a fight. Ygritte dies in Jon's arms. End of Series.
  • Options
    starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think we will start to see a bit more padding in the next few series so George can keep up

i would imagine all the stuff in the books that is talked about happening will be included,Balons death for one,more Iron island scenes,Dorne will dominate season 5 i would imagine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starman700 wrote: »
    i think we will start to see a bit more padding in the next few series so George can keep up

i would imagine all the stuff in the books that is talked about happening will be included,Balons death for one,more Iron island scenes,Dorne will dominate season 5 i would imagine.

They have to be careful though, because viewers have invested a lot of time in Jon and Dani and Jaime, to suddenly have a whole series about Dorne with only fleeting glimpses of our heroes could alienate non-book readers into giving up on the show. As someone said earlier in this thread, people are asking when Dani will arrive in Westeros, to which we book readers can only shrug. 3 more years of that could kill the show stone dead.
  • Options
    CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Non-book readers I know have been complaining about how Bran's storyline has "gone nowhere" this season. I think the producers are going to struggle the most with his parts as in the books the few chapters he has consist mainly of dreams, stories and thinking. I wonder if they will have Osha and Rickon disappearing off screen for years also.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CelticMyth wrote: »
    I wonder if they will have Osha and Rickon disappearing off screen for years also.

I thought that too. It seems like they're deliberately building up tension between Osha and Meera Reed until eventually they'll have a fight between the two and the decision will be made to split into 2 groups, but I can't imagine that Osha and Rickon will then just vanish from the show until Series 8 or whatever, I was hoping to see Osha's boobs again soon! ;)
  • Options
    srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree the series can't be dragged out or it will fall apart. Viewers will drop off or actors will leave.
    Dorne will be introduced in season 4 with Oberyn Martell. (sp), and be a good part of season 5 but the story will have to be simplified for tv (like most other stories have been) and won't take up a lot of screen time.
    The Iron islands story will be more season 6 I think, with them getting to Mereen for the S6 finale. but again a simplified version of this story won't take a lot of screen time.
    The producers have been told a lot of the key events / outcomes for the main charaters and I expect to find out the fates of many characters on screen. Unless GRRM wins some major lawsuits to prevent the series overtaking the books (which would likely kill the series) then I think in 2019 we'll be watching a series no longer based on books.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trouble is though, if I saw it correctly, all the climbers were killed in the avalanche leaving just four survivors, Jon, Ygritte, Tormund and Gareth from the Office. Surely they won't attack Castle Black with just 3 of them?!

I suspect a change of plan, whereby Jon and Ygritte try to escape south and Tormund and Orell chase after them, they get to Queenscrown and have a fight. Ygritte dies in Jon's arms. End of Series.

I could be wrong but when Jon, Ygritte, Tormund and Orell were resting after having reached the top of the wall I thought I saw some figures moving in the distance
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't see that as a problem.

The books are not far off a year each, so it's not much of a stretch to make each TV series span one year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    They are at a loss as to what she will be doing next if she doesn't head for westeros, they have no idea how valid their concerns are.....

Wait till they get a load of Reznak mo Reznak, Yurkhaz zo Yunzak, Skahaz mo Kandaq, Hizdahr zo Loraq and all the other similarly named Meereenese people I've already forgotten.
  • Options
    ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    Wait till they get a load of Reznak mo Reznak, Yurkhaz zo Yunzak, Skahaz mo Kandaq, Hizdahr zo Loraq and all the other similarly named Meereenese people I've already forgotten.

Never mind that, what about the various sand snakes and hangers on, they just come from nowhere. ;)

I'm sure they have planned all this though.

I haven't had a problem with the introduction of new characters, obviously because I already know who they are but it must be a bit challenging for non book readers.
  • Options
    AliceyAlicey Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    I wonder what they will do with Bronn as well? There has been no sign of the Stokeworths and he doesn't really do anything after Book 3. Maybe he will replace the Kettleblacks somehow?
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alicey wrote: »
    I wonder what they will do with Bronn as well? There has been no sign of the Stokeworths and he doesn't really do anything after Book 3. Maybe he will replace the Kettleblacks somehow?

Maybe Varys ships him off to Essos in the barrel next to Tyrion so the Imp can have some company on his roadtrip.
    Verence wrote: »
    I could be wrong but when Jon, Ygritte, Tormund and Orell were resting after having reached the top of the wall I thought I saw some figures moving in the distance

Yeah another team of climbers could be seen reaching the top of the wall in the background.

There's probably 15 or 16 (inc Jon and Ygritte) of the party left.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the TV series, Littlefinger has been too obvious as a baddie and Varys too obvious a goodie, pretty much from the get-go. Since Ned's imprisonment, in particular, there's been no question at all hanging over them.
    For me, Littlefinger was obviously a baddie in the book from early on. On first reading was a flaw in that book that his betrayal of Ned was so predictable.
    He seems to care for Sansa, and he's shaping her into something of a protégé by encouraging her to second-guess his schemes. Teaching her how to play the game of thrones as it were. There seems to me to be more to that relationship than Littlefinger wanting a Cat‐a‐like for himself.......but maybe I'm just looking for good in him that isn't there.
    My interpretation is that it's a way to amuse himself with her. I hope she surprises him. I've long felt she had a lot of potential; even early when she wasn't liked, she was good at her role of being a noble daughter, and she could track relationships. Littlefinger also tutored his ****, and he may think Sansa can be controlled as easily as they, or as Cersei. I think she's strong, and a Stark, and will surprise him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Littlefinger also tutored his ****...

He did that in the TV show, when does he do it in the books?
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He did that in the TV show, when does he do it in the books?
    Ah, you got me. I was thinking of the TV. For me it's the same character, though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm also very worried how they will handle Dany's story. While reading books i was thinking when she will finally travel to Westeros?! So the show viewers will be even more disappointed.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    frank5 wrote: »
    I'm also very worried how they will handle Dany's story. While reading books i was thinking when she will finally travel to Westeros?! So the show viewers will be even more disappointed.

I don't think they'll necessarily be disappointed providing they do Dany's journey in Essos properly. She does an awful lot of growing up while she's making her way through the various slaver cities.
  • Options
    minkskiminkski Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    I am sorely tempted to read the books though feel I may need a notepad as there are so many characters/relationships to follow. Love the series.