Options

Downloading illegally from Torrent sites..

Comments

• Options
    Penfolds_placePenfolds_place Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never illegally downloaded but I have to admit I have been tempted, especially when they have such a ridiculous length of time between a show being shown in the US and the dvd release in the uk. I know that have to wait until its shown on tv here but why such a long wait? Dexter season seven was shown ages ago and yet it won't be on dvd until june this year. I don't have sky or whatever channel it is shown on but I prefer to buy the dvd and avoid the ads anyway.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    What are you talking about? The person's quotes you are quoting was talking about artists being paid. There was nothing mentioned about food. Practice what you are preaching.

You are still taking something without paying for it. That is theft. Anyone who illegally downloads content without paying for it is a thief.

How exactly are you 'taking' it? By downloading, your computer is COPYING the file NOT, as you say, taking it. That's the thing with the digital world (when downloading), your device never takes anything, but always copies it when it downloads something.
  • Options
    PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yet the law still disagrees with you.

Then you are simply hiding behind a stupid law that ignores the definition of the the word steal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not my definition, it's the definition of the word steal that has been around for many hundreds of years and that has always been! :)

Oh really?

http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/steal_1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    How exactly are you 'taking' it? By downloading, your computer is COPYING the file NOT, as you say, taking it. That's the thing with the digital world (when downloading), your device never takes anything, but always copies it when it downloads something.

Why did you quote '"taking,'" but removed "something," and put "it" in its place? That's not being honest, for you most certainly are taking something without paying for it.

Look up the definition of the word steal.
  • Options
    daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love how self righteous some of you pretend to come off as.
    I occasionally download tv shows but only ones that are not picked up in the UK.
    I see nothing wrong with that. However, I wouldn't download a show that was airing in the UK, just to watch it sooner, as I prefer watching stuff on tv rather than the laptop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suggest you read that more carefully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisiesfan wrote: »
    Love how self righteous some of you pretend to come off as.
    I occasionally download tv shows but only ones that are not picked up in the UK.
    I see nothing wrong with that. However, I wouldn't download a show that was airing in the UK, just to watch it sooner, as I prefer watching stuff on tv rather than the laptop.

It has nothing to do with being "self righteous." You may find it hard to believe but many people do not illegally take things online without paying for them just as they do not take something without paying for it from a store at the shopping center.

If everyone downloaded illegally no TV shows or movies, especially American ones that Brits love so much, or music would exist as we know them.
  • Options
    quinnicusquinnicus Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For anyone who likes reading.

The definition of theft:

"A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly."

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60

Chapter 60, Theft Act 1968
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Then you are simply hiding behind a stupid law that ignores the definition of the the word steal.

Steal.
    To take something from someone without permission.

You are not taking anything when you download, you are making a copy. The person or persons you download from still have it.

You are wrong, and the law also agrees you are wrong which is why it is copyright infringement and not theft in the legal definition.

Here's the legal definition of theft:
    "A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly

EDIT: beaten to it by quinnicus :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suggest you read that more carefully.

I have. If you're referring to the stealing ideas one, that's when someone steals someone's idea and then takes the credit for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quinnicus wrote: »
    For anyone who likes reading.

The definition of theft:

"A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly."

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60

Chapter 60, Theft Act 1968

There. PPhilster's 'definition' of theft has been destroyed.
  • Options
    John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    I don't deny that downloading is any less 'legal' than stealing food, however the odds of me, indeed anyone, getting caught shoplifting are many, many times greater than my, or again, anyone, getting discovered having downloaded a copyrighted product. In addition, shoplifting can lead to a prison sentence. That's the reason I don't shop-lift. Illegal downloading, on my small scale at least, almost certainly won't, so there's no real deterrent from a conviction p.o.v. Believe me, if retailers made it as incredibly easy to shoplift their products, and there was no real deterrent to doing it, it'd be massively more rife than it already is.

Do you really believe that? My downloading of, say, the new Star Trek DVD will hit Paramount's profits? Or even a thousand downloads? It won't. There's two types of d/ls; those that try before they buy, and those that wouldn't have bought anyway. Either way, Paramount hasn't lost a penny.

So if you didnt illegally download ANY music or ANY films at all.... how would you gain that media so you could watch or listen to it? Or, would you not ever ever watch DVD's, buy iTunes downloads.... you saying you would go without these if you couldnt download them illegally?
  • Options
    LucianBLucianB Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    copthis1 wrote: »
    Do you do it? and if so do you feel guilty doing it?
    No need to now that we have youtube. The digital age is killing decent music altogether imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have. If you're referring to the stealing ideas one, that's when someone steals someone's idea and then takes the credit for it.

LOL, right.
  • Options
    quinnicusquinnicus Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LucianB wrote: »
    No need to now that we have youtube. The digital age is killing decent music altogether imo.

I disagree that the digital age is killing decent music. I blame Simon Cowel and his stupid X-Factor and Pop Idols etc etc.

He promotes entertainment over singing talent/song writing

That my opinion anyhow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There. PPhilster's 'definition' of theft has been destroyed.

Funny, I thought I was looking at the definition of steal.
  • Options
    John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Downloading music/films etc isn't stealing. Just thought I'd say that.

OK, its breach of copyright.

Still the same result though.... if everyone did it, the artists who were involved in that wouldnt have an income, the studios who made the films wouldnt have an income. Music and films wouldnt me made as there isnt enough profit in them.

What would you do then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LucianB wrote: »

And how would you access YouTube when on a bus with an MP3 player?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never illegally downloaded but I have to admit I have been tempted, especially when they have such a ridiculous length of time between a show being shown in the US and the dvd release in the uk. I know that have to wait until its shown on tv here but why such a long wait? Dexter season seven was shown ages ago and yet it won't be on dvd until june this year. I don't have sky or whatever channel it is shown on but I prefer to buy the dvd and avoid the ads anyway.

So? Are you somehow entitled to those American shows? I mean listen to yourself. We are not talking about food for starving people!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny, I thought I was looking at the definition of steal.

It has 'theft' in it. Go back and take a look.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And how would you access YouTube when on a bus with an MP3 player?
    phones have internet these days the last time i checked.
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So? Are you somehow entitled to those American shows? I mean listen to yourself. We are not talking about food for starving people!

You really do have a shocking attitude problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, its breach of copyright.

Still the same result though.... if everyone did it, the artists who were involved in that wouldnt have an income, the studios who made the films wouldnt have an income. Music and films wouldnt me made as there isnt enough profit in them.

What would you do then?

There's still a load of people who buy music for the artists to make a good profit. It's not as out of control as they'd like you to think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    quinnicus wrote: »
    I disagree that the digital age is killing decent music. I blame Simon Cowel and his stupid X-Factor and Pop Idols etc etc.

He promotes entertainment over singing talent/song writing

That my opinion anyhow.
    The digital age is making it more accessable. One of the good and special things about certain tunes back in the day was that no one else had them.