Options

Macbook Pro named "best Windows laptop"

Comments

• Options
    PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Yeah. They would have to clean install the other machines as well and compare then.

Most people don't though.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    You have a Mac? And you run Windows on it?

I did.

My old macbook pro ran windows 7 until i sold it.

The whole article is idiocy though, and only an idiot would believe it. Benchmark a clean install windows laptop then we can discuss it.
  • Options
    PPhilsterPPhilster Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have a Mac? And you run Windows on it?

Yes, for a couple of old programs I wished to continue using.
  • Options
    DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no difference doing a clean install of Windows on a Macbook Pro than any other laptop or computer.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this really emphasises is that there is so much bloatware and rubbish that tends to come pre-installed on new PCs (especially crippling on the more budget models).
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    All this really emphasises is that there is so much bloatware and rubbish that tends to come pre-installed on new PCs (especially crippling on the more budget models).

All of which is easily removed though.
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    All of which is easily removed though.

Only if you know what you're doing. The average user won't even be aware of all the crap, let alone what to remove. In Control Panel, you might find a dozen Toshiba or Sony programs. Some are needed, some are shite. It's not always easy to tell which is which. In Services or Start-up, you'll find numerous cryptically named manufacturer files, which again can be difficult to know whether or not it's safe to disable.

Manufacturers can do a fantastic job of crippling an otherwise perfectly decent machine. And that's not even taking into account the endless pop-ups telling the user to 'register this, do this, do that'.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Well I'm going to put Windows on my Macbook Pro after all. Managed to get a copy of W7 after all. I'm going to collect it sometime this week. I daresay it'll be an interesting experience :D
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    Only if you know what you're doing. The average user won't even be aware of all the crap, let alone what to remove. In Control Panel, you might find a dozen Toshiba or Sony programs. Some are needed, some are shite. It's not always easy to tell which is which. In Services or Start-up, you'll find numerous cryptically named manufacturer files, which again can be difficult to know whether or not it's safe to disable.

Manufacturers can do a fantastic job of crippling an otherwise perfectly decent machine. And that's not even taking into account the endless pop-ups telling the user to 'register this, do this, do that'.

The trend has been much improved on newer PCs, especially in the case of Windows 8 ones where OEMs have put some of their bloatware as metro apps which are easily ignored or uninstalled and don't impact system performance like a Win32 application would.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    The trend has been much improved on newer PCs, especially in the case of Windows 8 ones where OEMs have put some of their bloatware as metro apps which are easily ignored or uninstalled and don't impact system performance like a Win32 application would.

See, Metro is good :D I hate when they put all that crapware on. And some programmes even try to trick you. On my new laptop some programme wanted me to register it and said the programme was free. So I did. And then it said it's free for 30 days :rolleyes: So I thought, pity you are not staying and removed the bloody thing. But yes, mostly there are some Metro apps that I just unpinned and they can sit there waiting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm installing Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro at the moment and I must admit it's going very well. Mum doesn't understand why though :rolleyes: She can be so thick when it comes to technology. It took her ages to figure out how to use the cable box for the TV and she even has trouble operating her phone. She doesn't have a smartphone either, she only has a fairly basic feature phone. She can't operate the DVD player and she had trouble programming the VCR in the old days.
  • Options
    DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit late to the party but who ever did this has clearly never had to live with Windows on an MBP. Yeah, fantastic hardware and lovely screen but OMFG Apple's Window's drivers are shocking, 6 hours battery life in OSX, < 2h in Windows, crappy WiFi, shocking support for external monitors (well, projectors), I could go on. And no it's not Windows, other manufacturers perform better with worse hardware. Apple can not and should not be allowed to write code for Windows.

What a crook of poop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    Bit late to the party but who ever did this has clearly never had to live with Windows on an MBP. Yeah, fantastic hardware and lovely screen but OMFG Apple's Window's drivers are shocking, 6 hours battery life in OSX, < 2h in Windows, crappy WiFi, shocking support for external monitors (well, projectors), I could go on. And no it's not Windows, other manufacturers perform better with worse hardware. Apple can not and should not be allowed to write code for Windows.

What a crook of poop.

A good example is with the MBP 15", in OS X, the computer switches between integrated and the discrete graphics as needed. In windows the discrete graphics are permanently running. Windows is capable of switching between discrete and Intel graphics but Apple doesn't let it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've got it installed now and it's actually working rather well. It's better than using a dedicated Windows laptop because you're using stock Windows without a PC manufacturer's bloatware. When my dad got his W7 laptops he had to remove all the Norton and McAfee trials and other junk the machine came with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had 2 viruses on the Windows side of my MBP earlier. Unbelievable :p I've only had Windows on there a day and I'm already getting viruses. And no I didn't look at anything dodgy :D
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just struggle with the keyboards either way round. I'm fluent on OSX with an OSX keyboard but the whole ctrl/windows/apple key thing throws me entirely if its not on the correct OS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I had 2 viruses on the Windows side of my MBP earlier. Unbelievable :p I've only had Windows on there a day and I'm already getting viruses. And no I didn't look at anything dodgy :D

This just goes to show that some people are ideally suited to owning a Mac.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,425
    Forum Member
    Absolutely. For 2 viruses to allegedly find their way onto a fresh system in such a short time scale implies user negligence. The only solution for that is training, but since the whole thread is a troll lets just roll with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

What makes you think that?
    s2k wrote: »
    Absolutely. For 2 viruses to allegedly find their way onto a fresh system in such a short time scale implies user negligence. The only solution for that is training, but since the whole thread is a troll lets just roll with it.

I didn't do anything stupid. I just installed a few games I downloaded and yes they were legal. They were games I paid for. I don't need training. I've been using computers since I was 6 and I never had any training. Everything I know is self-taught. However I've been using OSX since 2010 and I never had any viruses until last week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What makes you think that?

You managed to get infected within a day. A Day. Other people manage to go decades without being infected.
    Everything I know is self-taught.

Maybe spend less time being superficial and more time actually learning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You managed to get infected within a day. A Day. Other people manage to go decades without being infected.

When I was using Windows XP I managed to get infected with the Blaster worm and several other nasties, despite having Norton Antivirus which was updated often, usually on a Wednesday. Maybe I just don't have much luck with Windows :o
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a Mac Book Pro at work, and it runs Windows better in a Virtual Machine using Pararalls Desktop 8 then my Acer Intel i5, 8 Gig RAM laptop. In fact i can run the new Sim City game inside a virtual machine fine which is amazing in its self. I can run Windows 7 in a resolution of 2880 x1800 on a 15" screen, its just bonkers. I only have the Virtual Machines running Windows 7 for applications not available on the Mac. But the way you can enter 'coherence' with the software makes it the best virtualisation experience i have had on any platform.

When you go to places like dell and try to get a laptop thats even close to the Mac Book Pros spec you are almost at Mac Book Pro prices so your not really paying a premium. Yes the spec might be overkill for most users buts its one great piece of kit and has given me the best Windows experience i have had on any piece of hardware yet even if under virtualstion,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quackers wrote: »
    I use a Mac Book Pro at work, and it runs Windows better in a Virtual Machine using Pararalls Desktop 8 then my Acer Intel i5, 8 Gig RAM laptop. In fact i can run the new Sim City game inside a virtual machine fine which is amazing in its self. I can run Windows 7 in a resolution of 2880 x1800 on a 15" screen, its just bonkers. I only have the Virtual Machines running Windows 7 for applications not available on the Mac. But the way you can enter 'coherence' with the software makes it the best virtualisation experience i have had on any platform.

When you go to places like dell and try to get a laptop thats even close to the Mac Book Pros spec you are almost at Mac Book Pro prices so your not really paying a premium. Yes the spec might be overkill for most users buts its one great piece of kit and has given me the best Windows experience i have had on any piece of hardware yet even if under virtualstion,

But you haven't specified in what ways it runs better than your Acer?
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,425
    Forum Member
    When I was using Windows XP I managed to get infected with the Blaster worm and several other nasties, despite having Norton Antivirus which was updated often, usually on a Wednesday. Maybe I just don't have much luck with Windows :o
    Blaster was a worm, not a virus (does this sound familiar?:cool:) and was primarily caused by people having direct connections to the internet without any firewall. Thankfully every man and his dog uses a router now and the windows firewall is on by default even if it is mostly untouched.

As you say you definitely didn't go on any dodgy websites to source your games, the only other explanation I could think of for you managing to infect your day old system would be if you plugged in a contaminated flash drive. This is why it is important to have AV on all your endpoints.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quackers wrote: »

The macbook pro is easily the best laptoop I've owned. As you say it's not as overpriced as some people think, and they do hold residual value better which gives them a pretty good cost of ownership compared to other premium laptops.

It's almost worth the premium price for the brilliant multi-touch track pad, I've yet to find any other manufacture come close to having a usable track pad