Options

Head teachers pass no confidence in Gove

Comments

• Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mungobrush wrote: »
    Actually the baby boomers who were educated in the 1950's and 1960's have been far more financially successful than any subsequent generation.

So maybe going back to the old values will be a good thing.

Says who?

I was educated in the 50's and 60's and I haven't been financially successful.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would you rather children learned everything by rote, as they will do under Gove's plans?
    Which policy are you referring to?
  • Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    solenoid wrote: »
    Which policy are you referring to?

The policy of minimising in-house coursework in favour of one big exam at the end of two years. If that doesn't encourage learning purely to pass exams then I'm Bo Derek.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    Years of experience indoctrinating generations of children with their crappy revisionist ideas.

Yes I am aware of that.

Seriously?
    Are you aware of what actually goes on in schools?
    I'm gobsmacked at the general ignorance of the teaching profession.
    Anyone making these kinds of statements should volunteer for a few hours a week in schools and you will soon change your tiny little minds....clowns and idiots the lot of you!
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those who dont know much about education seem to thing Gove is doing a splendid job. Those who know realise that his stupid policies have damaged education so much that we will never be as good as Finland or Sweden. I am sure he must have had a hard time at school and there does everything in his power to destroy teachers morale. The NAHT is not as militant as the NUT and if they are anti Gove there must be a reason.
  • Options
    ExiledchillerExiledchiller Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh my word, just watched news at it's uncomfortable viewing watching Michael Gove, say I think we will have to part ways, whatever that means, hopefully means Gove is going to resign, unless he means he's sacking every headteacher who's part of the union
  • Options
    mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    I see, is financial success the only marker of success?

Not the only one - but certainly the main one.
    Says who?

I was educated in the 50's and 60's and I haven't been financially successful.

I was referring to the whole baby boomer generation which has in general a much higher level of wealth than following generations.
  • Options
    ExiledchillerExiledchiller Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the only one - but certainly the main one.

I was referring to the whole baby boomer generation which has in general a much higher level of wealth than following generations.

Really I thought that generation over borrowed, and they caused the financial mess, with inflated house prices.

So say the Tory Ukip and daily hail readers on here but now you're saying education points to them being a success, will remember that one, mungo
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The policy of minimising in-house coursework in favour of one big exam at the end of two years. If that doesn't encourage learning purely to pass exams then I'm Bo Derek.

It's how it was in the old days with O-Levels. It involved "rote" learning of principles then application by bringing together many ideas in a final exam. Not like the modularised crap we have now.

Why is that better?

Because when trying to solve problems we have to combine various methods learnt. Not just rely on something covered in the last 13 weeks (or whatever it is)
  • Options
    ianmattianmatt Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh my word, just watched news at it's uncomfortable viewing watching Michael Gove, say I think we will have to part ways, whatever that means, hopefully means Gove is going to resign, unless he means he's sacking every headteacher who's part of the union

I don't think Mr Gove will consider resigning because his much needed reforms upset another Union, scared of change and upsetting the comfortable, easy gravy train.

In modern politics Gove is pure gold and if he wasn't driving improvements and therefore not pleasing the self-interested Unions, he would be failing the nations children.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianmatt, he is annoying the unions because he's makiing things WORSE not because he's making them better.

Let me give you an example and take it to its logical conclusion. Gove wants teachers to be paid based on results. Here's how things used to work, and how they will work.

2003 (my generation):
    1. Teachers teach children
    2. Children know that if they don't work, they will fail
    3. Most children try hard
    4. Most children pass because of what they learned

2013:
    2. Children know that teachers will get a pay cut if they dont' do well
    3. Children know teachers will make sure they pass
    4. Children can't be bothered
    5. Teachers do their coursework for them
    6. Children learn less than they used to
    7. More children pass, despite knowing less
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ianmatt wrote: »
    I don't think Mr Gove will consider resigning because his much needed reforms upset another Union, scared of change and upsetting the comfortable, easy gravy train.

In modern politics Gove is pure gold and if he wasn't driving improvements and therefore not pleasing the self-interested Unions, he would be failing the nations children.

Obviously teachers need to be left to their own means, do what they want, when they want and then retire before everyone else because they work harder than everyone else.
  • Options
    mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    Psychosis wrote: »
    Gove wants teachers to be paid based on results.

Everyone else is paid on results so why not teachers?

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Some of my teachers were great and some weren't worth getting out of bed for

Bad teachers should be rooted out of the system before they do damage to our kids.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The NAHT (The National Association of Headteachers) also said "the education secretary's plans were not in the best interests of children."
    = not in the interest of Headteachers
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

Totally!

I admire Gove he has the courage of his convictions.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flaw in argument, academies can do what they like, hence pushing schools to switch, if standards are so important why the laissez faire approach?
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Haven't the teaching unions always passed a No Confidence vote in every education secretary ever? It's just their little tradition. It's about all they can do as they are unable to set extra home work or impose a detention.

Nope.. you're completely wrong as tribally usual.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

Yes and they're quitting hand over fist. Still, plenty good teachers really happy with Gove and ripe to take over eh?
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What was wrong with what he said?

The woman was basically saying govt and Ofcom are demanding too high a standard as if striving to provide kids the best education possible is a bad thing.

Gove faced the expected barrage of cynicism, negative comments and criticism you'd expect from a union conference crowd, but apparently not a single constructive counter argument.

That says it all IMO.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    ianmatt, he is annoying the unions because he's makiing things WORSE not because he's making them better.

Let me give you an example and take it to its logical conclusion. Gove wants teachers to be paid based on results. Here's how things used to work, and how they will work.

2003 (my generation):
    2. Children know that if they don't work, they will fail
    3. Most children try hard
    4. Most children pass because of what they learned

2013:
    2. Children know that teachers will get a pay cut if they dont' do well
    3. Children know teachers will make sure they pass
    4. Children can't be bothered
    5. Teachers do their coursework for them
    6. Children learn less than they used to
    7. More children pass, despite knowing less

If a teacher was found to be doing a pupil's coursework - shouldn't that count as gross misconduct?
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone else is paid on results so why not teachers?

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Some of my teachers were great and some weren't worth getting out of bed for

Bad teachers should be rooted out of the system before they do damage to our kids.

Because... it's not always the teacher's fault? Let me give you examples from my classes. I have worked my arse off with their coursework, but I have the following:

2 students were on drugs the whole time
    1 student only needs 2 Es for college and has decided everything else is too much effort
    1 student isn't there most of the time
    1 student only needs 5 Es for college, but his target is an A
    1 student is so aggressive that he's always thrown out
    3 students are lazy and never turn up to detention or complete their work in class
    2 students are trying really really hard but because of the higher expectations from ofsted now, they can't reach their target grades no matter how hard they try
    3 students need 5 A*-C grades and because of early entry, they already have them and therefore see the rest of their exams as pointless and unnecessary.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea. I am responsible for none of those things but I will be judged on them.
    David Tee wrote: »
    If a teacher was found to be doing a pupil's coursework - shouldn't that count as gross misconduct?

Yes. But every teacher will be committing gross misconduct because nobody wants to take a pay cut because their students are lazy, entitled, and know that their teachers have more at stake than they do. You can say it's wrong all you want, and I completely agree with you, but it is the inevitable result. It is what will happen over the next few years. Students will learn less and less because teachers will be compelled to do more and more for them. The blame lies solely at Michael Gove's feet.
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All I know is this... My daughter goes to a really good school, they get good results, no real behavioural / bullying problems, the parents are nice, all the events are well supported etc etc

The head is retiring this year, and they are unable to fill her post, despite having advertised 3 times - in fact, across the area I live, they can't appoint any heads. Gove has made people too afraid, as you are only 1 bad set of SATS results away from being sacked. Deputies are staying as deputies, heads are leaving, and there is no-one to take over.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    What I saw of Gove's performance during the Q & A session at the NAHT conference he somehow managed to merge arrogance, the likeness of a baby owl whose parents had deserted it, utterly inconsequential replies and embarrassing silences in one fell swoop.

He seems to be completely out of his depth.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trunkster wrote: »
    Obviously teachers need to be left to their own means, do what they want, when they want and then retire before everyone else because they work harder than everyone else.

I know quite a few teachers, those that have always been in education (school, college, university then into teaching), generally have a mindset like you describe, but those that have gone into teaching after having a career in the outside world, a lot less so.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Staunchy wrote: »
    I know quite a few teachers, those that have always been in education (school, college, university then into teaching), generally have a mindset like you describe, but those that have gone into teaching after having a career in the outside world, a lot less so.

Why? Do doctors who have had another career in the "outside world" before taking up medicine become better doctors?

Soldiers?

What about all other professions/jobs?

What constitutes the "outside world"?