Options

Would you have intervened at Woolwich?

Comments

• Options
    LucianBLucianB Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am amazed how brave those ladies were, approaching those men without any means of defense and without having any idea what kind of loose cannons they were dealing with and what their bizarre limits and justifications were. I can't imagine doing that. No matter what kind of assessment they made of the situation, they were extremely lucky.
    I think they didn't realise the dude was dead and when they did they had kinda reached the point of no return so tried to keep the black chaps talking until help arrived. Just my opinion of course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    If I had been in a car I would have driven straight at them (not knowing that one had a gun in his jeans at the bak under his jacket) because I would feel that I was safe in the car from the weapon, so I could take them out, but if I wasn't in a car no I wouldn't.

I certainly wouldn't film and photograph the damn thing that's for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I had been in a car I would have driven straight at them (not knowing that one had a gun in his jeans at the bak under his jacket) because I would feel that I was safe in the car from the weapon, so I could take them out, but if I wasn't in a car no I wouldn't.

I certainly wouldn't film and photgraph the damn thing that's for sure.
    Where are the pictures of this gun? all I see is a knife.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have run over and disarmed the pair of lunatics with my hand to hand combat skills.

After that, I would have temporarily incapacitated both of them by targeted punches on sensitive nerve centres. Then I would have stood guard over them until the Police arrived, and personally handed them over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have run over and disarmed the pair of lunatics with my hand to hand combat skills.

After that, I would have temporarily incapacitated both of them by targeted punches on sensitive nerve centres. Then I would have stood guard over them until the Police arrived, and personally handed them over.
    Are you batman?
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member

I'm getting deja-vu here.

Think you've done this one already.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LucianB wrote: »

There have been numerous reports that one of them had a gun and when the armed police did come forward that is when he pulled it out from under his coat. That is why I said I would have driven at them not knowing he had a firearm. If I'm speeding at a person in a car and he/she throws a knife at me I'm not going to care, but a gun pointing at me is something else.
    I think, but don't know I would probaly floor it with the intention even if you do manage to shoot me I'm taking you out with me with the momentum of the car's speed.

As I say i'm no hero and wouldn't do something that would put my life at risk, but running someone down to protect others I have no problem with at all.

Very simple basic rule. If you wasnt doing what you was doing, I wouldn't have run you down. I'm responsible for my actions, you are responsible for your actions, you die, you are crippled or you are left a vegetable.. don't give a you know what, you brought it on yourself with what you were doing. I won't lose any sleep over what I did.
  • Options
    dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i think i would have, the woman said she thought they had been trying to help the man at first and didnt realise they had murdered him. I think it is human nature to try and help.
  • Options
    thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to think that I would so something but I don't know. I'm sure I couldn't have left they dying man alone but who can say what they would do in such a terrifying situation.

I am certain that I wouldn't have been filming or taking photographs though.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't have intervened, no. He had a f*cking meat cleaver for god's sake! Call police, yes. Confront - NO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There have been numerous reports that one of them had a gun and when the armed police did come forward that is when he pulled it out from under his coat. That is why I said I would have driven at them not knowing he had a firearm. If I'm speeding at a person in a car and he/she throws a knife at me I'm not going to care, but a gun pointing at me is something else.
    I think, but don't know I would probaly floor it with the intention even if you do manage to shoot me I'm taking you out with me with the momentum of the car's speed.

As I say i'm no hero and wouldn't do something that would put my life at risk, but running someone down to protect others I have no problem with at all.

Very simple basic rule. If you wasnt doing what you was doing, I wouldn't have run you down. I'm responsible for my actions, you are responsible for your actions, you die, you are crippled or you are left a vegetable.. don't give a you know what, you brought it on yourself with what you were doing. I won't lose any sleep over what I did.
    Reports? like WMD's in Iraq? give me a break and show me EVIDENCE!
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Kel'Thuzad wrote: »
    Out of interest say a good samaritan nearby the scene of the crime decides to run into their house, take their mounted samurai sword off the wall (something like this http://www.japanese-sword.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_75&products_id=240 and then proceeds to meet the two Muslim attackers in open battle and he was to grievously injure or kill them would he be prosecuted or would it be self-defence?

No, self defence is someone defending their self. That does not include running into a house where they are safe and then back into the situation.

He would be therefore charged with whatever he did.

If he is able to run into his house or any safe position then he should remain there.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    In London it's not that unusual for people to be stabbed in the street, even in daytime, there have been two occasions in the last few years where a gang of schoolchildren have stabbed someone to death in front of commuters, one at a railway station and one at a bus station, then there was another on Boxing Day in front of thousands of shoppers. In Woolwich the local paper is full of news about stabbings every week.

Difficult to reconcile with the London murder rate hitting a 42 year low reported recently.

23 January 2013

"London was lauded today as “one of the safest cities on the planet” after the murder rate fell to a 42-year low.

A total of 99 people were murdered in the capital last year, with the lowest previous figure of recent years — 105 — recorded in 1970".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you listened to what the nutter was saying it was clear that he would not attack women and any man who went near the body would get attacked.

And he started off by apologising to women for having to have witnessed the act.

Obviously his nutty belief system sees men and women as totally different things.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously his nutty belief system sees men and women as totally different things.

Does anyone want to explain the differences to him??? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I would have been as brave as those ladies, but as already mentioned we don't really know how we would react in such a situation. I hope to never find out.
  • Options
    DomJollyDomJolly Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly no

I would have probably presumed it was some kind of drug turf war
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as already mentioned we don't really know how we would react in such a situation. I hope to never find out.

I found out :( The proverbial red mist descended for a count of about three, until I remembered who else I was responsible for at that point.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you listened to what the nutter was saying it was clear that he would not attack women and any man who went near the body would get attacked.

And he started off by apologising to women for having to have witnessed the act.

Hindsight is wonderful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    Hindsight is wonderful.

No hindsight required. If anyone was there at the time you would have heard him say that and if you are a woman you could decide if you wanted to take the risk and if you were male you could decide that maybe it would be better not to chance it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Reports? like WMD's in Iraq? give me a break and show me EVIDENCE!

Ok I'm game.

How do you know 100% of anything that is reported in the media of news is true if you wasn't there to actually witness it for yourself?

When you watch the news you are seeing a news report. When you have someone alledgedly giving evidence in the witness box they are reporting what they say they saw. Everything is a report, nothing is factual proof to a person unless it is seen live by them...... oh yes magicians make things disappear and appear from nothing and you see in person so that is obviously real and true, because you saw it happen. ;)
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member

http://i.imgur.com/cPGiVaw.jpg

Plus there's also new video on the Mirror's website that clearly shows (at 7s-10s in) one of the two animals pointing the firearm at the police officers before getting two to the chest.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/woolwich-attack-watch-shocking-video-1907772
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    have to admit - that video was very enjoyable :p
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well?

I think that its noticable that the people the murders spoke to were women. And that the women were not confrontational.

I think if someone (esp a man) had gone into that situation confrontationally they might have attacked them too and increased the murder rate in this incident.

IN a sick, twisted sense of "respect" for women that their extremist religion taught them they wouldnt wish to attack women passersby.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I would have been terrified, but I would have phoned the police though.

What staggered me the most, apart from the obvious was a couple of people just sauntering past casually while one of the attackers ranted into a camera phone being held by someone else.

He had bloodied hands & a couple of knives & woman just walked past him. She did not even look at the dead body a few feet away & didn't seem a have a care in the world; in fact, 2 different women did this.

What is wrong with some people?

THey may not have seen the dead body, assumed this was just a street fight & wanted to walk away, as a lot of people would have wanted to.