Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James1953 wrote: »
    I notice that the beeb have apologised for wasting nearly £100 million of licence fee money on a failed I.T.. Project that was mainly to be centred on Salford
    I know mistakes happen but that seems a lot of 0's

Quote:

"I have serious concerns about how we managed this project," BBC director general Tony Hall said.

An independent review has been launched "to find out what went wrong and what lessons can be learned", he said.

The Digital Media Initiative (DMI) was intended to transform the way staff developed, used and shared video and audio material and was seen as an important part of a move of resources to Salford.
    Full Story :http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22651126

What a surprise this is ? :rolleyes:

Anyone read one of the comments underneath this article regarding the BBC Pension fund which is in the red to the tune of £2.4 billlon.How badly is this gravy train/ public organisation being run ?Blimey they already get £3.6 billion a year in licence fee money.I suppose they'll want us to bail them out with an increase in the £145.50 next time around ?
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First for breaking news, more like regurgitating what has already been reported on the BBC News Channel. We often even get to hear the News Channel presenter at the end of press conferences.

VD on top form with a cheery end to the week, the treatment of victims of child sex abuse in court, sorry can’t criticise as we keep getting told on here this is ‘real life’. I think I’ll give James O’Brien a listen instead.

I tuned in at 11.45, I say tuned I mean it was the first time I'd turned the radio on since 8am and she was discussing this topic then. Christ it must have been a topic throughout the show. Good things come to all who wait and the joy that abounded on the sacking of Irani will be duplicated when this dreadful show and presenter is finally canned.
  • Options
    James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic commentary of the Froch v Kessler fight by Mike Costello. He is perhaps the best commentator on 5 live atm. (His athletics commentaries/analysis are excellent also)

Enjoyed Steve Bunce as well. Not sure why Richie Woodhall was replaced by Ricky Hatton. Hope that's not permanent
    The only downside was Colin Murray.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodhall was doing Sky last night.

A brilliant production all night, Costello has matured into a top notch commentator, Bunce is always good value and Hatton contributed plenty.

Kudos
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,062
    Forum Member
    I agree with the praise for Costello - some of his Olympic athletics commentary last year was wonderful.
  • Options
    SJM978SJM978 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    ...The only downside was Colin Murray.......

Ah Colin Murray, Radio 5's go-to presenter of the moment. Whether it's boxing, bump-club or bells-and-whistles gameshows the Murraymonster is there to put you off listening with his lack of charm, smug manner and Dalek-style voice.

Colin Murray, I salute you for getting so much work, with seemingly so little talent. There's hope for us all yet!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of Irani ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Fantastic commentary of the Froch v Kessler fight by Mike Costello. He is perhaps the best commentator on 5 live atm. (His athletics commentaries/analysis are excellent also)

Enjoyed Steve Bunce as well. Not sure why Richie Woodhall was replaced by Ricky Hatton. Hope that's not permanent
    The only downside was Colin Murray.......

Latest in along line of top flight commentators Costello, Rawling, Darke, Rosenthal, Lyneham........... Boxing does seem to be real good proving ground for the BBC sports commentary
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaargghhh! When is Nolan going to be taken off the air? More dreadful prying stuff & disturbed people on the air again tonight on the subject of rape. This really is too much.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was toe curlingly awful ! There must be something wrong with him to want to pry into peoples lives that much .
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is disturbing. For gid sake put it on five extra if it needs broadcasting. Its a bank holiday lets have some cheer bbc!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Vicky on in the morning ? Can see it being this story dragged on for a few more cheery hours on her show.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VD talked about payment of footballer's image rights and whether they [footballers] use it to avoid paying tax. Apparently, in some cases they might use tax laws to circumvent paying 45% tax on their image rights, paying 23% tax instead. Gordon Whatshisface of the PFA came on to put forward the footballers' case - something I found somewhat ironic. Isn't the PFA a union? To hear him support the footballers' case was rather amusing. Most union peeps these days often call for rich companies & individuals to pay their fair share - i.e. tax avoidance should be banned. Also, this Gordon bloke as head of his union seems to have occupied that position since the invention of the wheel. Is it a job for life?

Anyway, back to VD: She also had an interview with a counter-terrorism Islamic PhD academic who was formerly radicalised but changed his views after 7/7. He is part of an Islamic counter-terririst group call Qullam (sp?). It was pretty insightful interview.

So in VD's defence, there were no misery memoir segments, and she did a pretty good job today.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    So in VD's defence, there were no misery memoir segments, and she did a pretty good job today.

Even victims are allowed to have the Bank Holiday off.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Even victims are allowed to have the Bank Holiday off.

Apart from the critics, who can't even give credit where it's due.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Apart from the critics, who can't even give credit where it's due.

You are right we can't because we all switch over as soon as she comes on now. Driven away by her inept presenting over the past few years although her producer must take the blame as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    VD talked about payment of footballer's image rights and whether they [footballers] use it to avoid paying tax. Apparently, in some cases they might use tax laws to circumvent paying 45% tax on their image rights, paying 23% tax instead. Gordon Whatshisface of the PFA came on to put forward the footballers' case - something I found somewhat ironic. Isn't the PFA a union? To hear him support the footballers' case was rather amusing. Most union peeps these days often call for rich companies & individuals to pay their fair share - i.e. tax avoidance should be banned. Also, this Gordon bloke as head of his union seems to have occupied that position since the invention of the wheel. Is it a job for life?

Anyway, back to VD: She also had an interview with a counter-terrorism Islamic PhD academic who was formerly radicalised but changed his views after 7/7. He is part of an Islamic counter-terririst group call Qullam (sp?). It was pretty insightful interview.

Anything about BBC presenters using limited companies to shelter their earnings from higher rate tax ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anything about BBC presenters using limited companies to shelter their earnings from higher rate tax ?

And every other industry is different because...?

Nah. Definitely no agenda or vendetta where you're concerned...
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if 5 Live can go a whole week without talking about their favourite subjects - rape, domestic violence, mental illness, welfare reform and racism?
  • Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not if they are in the news every day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    Not if they are in the news every day.

Oh yes they will with the non productive Guardian reading editorial teams at the BBC. Sadly they tend to dictate what is news and what is not. Worse still we pay their over inflated salaries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bill Young wrote: »
    Oh yes they will with the non productive Guardian reading editorial teams at the BBC. Sadly they tend to dictate what is news and what is not. Worse still we pay their over inflated salaries.

Obviously cancelled out by the Mail reading Sky journalists, who never ever report on sad or negative news - and quote "sky sources" - meaning some third hand rumour from a bloke who spoke anonymously to the local papers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    I wonder if 5 Live can go a whole week without talking about their favourite subjects - rape, domestic violence, mental illness, welfare reform and racism?

Well, on that last subject, I'm not sure which planet you've been on for the past few days - but I'm pretty certain that every TV news channel and newspaper has been talking about some form of racism.

Too bad the real world doesn't fit around your cosy view of reality, eh?
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    You forgot football which takes up more airtime discussion than all the other subjects you mentioned put together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    You forgot football which takes up more airtime discussion than all the other subjects you mentioned put together.

Oh dear. Sports network talks about major sports. You lot are never happy are you?
This discussion has been closed.