Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 49)

Comments

• Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,888
    Forum Member
    Reckon the apprentice and eastEnders will see an ulmighty drop tonight will be killed off by all itv opposition very good job here itv:)

The Apprentice usually hasn't seen a huge drop due to BGT.
  • Options
    mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    The Apprentice usually hasn't seen a huge drop due to BGT.

Hmmmm lets see wat happens
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Monday 27th May 2013
    BBC One
    19:30 - Antiques Roadshow: 3.48m (15.0%)
    20:30 - Miranda: 2.54m (10.2%)
    21:00 - The Queen: Passion for Horses: 3.50m (13.6%)

BBC Two
    20:00 - Springwatch: 2.33m (9.5%)
    21:00 - The Fall: 2.87m (11.2%)

ITV
    19:00 - Emmerdale: 6.67m (32.0%), +1: 170k (0.7%)
    19:30 - Britain's Got Talent: 9.89m (41.5%), +1: 454k
    * peak: 12.1m (47.81%) at 20:45 inc +1
    21:00 - Coronation Street: 9.47m (36.2%), +1: 672k (3.5%)
    21:30 - Britain's Got Talent Results: 7.92m (31.4%), +1: 475k (3.1%)
    22:00 - The Story of Now: 2.01m (11.2%)

A better than expected rating for BGT. After having seen what it got on Sunday, I thought it would be around the high 8millions/low 9 millions on the Monday. The results show is still not doing enough to keep the viewers sticking around though, as losing 2million from the main showing is pretty poor really. The Queen documentary on BBC1 held up quite well, thought that would be below 3million. The Fall also held onto a nice chunk of its audience.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    A very unappealing schedule on BBC1 for Bank Holiday Monday. Didn't they want anybody to watch them?

Maybe they want to boost BGT so that TXF's annual slump against SCD looks even worse in context of BGT's performance.

There are no excuses for BBC1 last night. Totally unacceptable.
  • Options
    ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see EE killed off all week. The weather is picking up midweek, its half term so families will be out. Be lucky if it gets 3m!
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    I can see EE killed off all week. The weather is picking up midweek, its half term so families will be out. Be lucky if it gets 3m!
    Eastenders will definately get 3million. What's its worst ever rating?
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1 from Sunday...

1 Sky Sports F1 11:30 AM Live Monaco F1 Grand Prix 855 11.3%

Peak will near ~2m I think.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The weather is cool and showery for most of the week with the unstettled theme continuing into June. Where is the "weather picking up" report from? It's not going to be a heatwave! just sunny spells and showers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Eastenders will definately get 3million. What's its worst ever rating?

EastEnders is a good example of TV Euthanasia. put it out of its misery. It really is dull.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eastenders is a rubbish soap so should get no ratings :(
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only 3.47million for Case histories. Terrible rating, bbc needs to cancel it. It's pulling down their sunday shares.
    Thrown to the wolves a bit airing on a warm bank holiday during half term against BGT and Corrie and not on an itv junction.
    iaindb wrote: »
    And tomorrow morning you'll be moaning about BBC1 putting repeats on against tonight's BGT ad not making an effort.

And I was right with this prediction:D
    There are no excuses for BBC1 last night. Totally unacceptable.

The BBC can't do right for doing wrong with you, can they?:D:p;)

There was an excuse for BBC1 last night. One of itv's highest rated programmes was on the other side. So there's no point in competing with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course lord sugar will defend his dismal show as always it really is terrible this year bgt hasn't been the best this year but the apprentice hasn't been great at all :)
    Reckon the apprentice and eastEnders will see an ulmighty drop tonight will be killed off by all itv opposition very good job here itv:)
    Hmmmm lets see wat happens

HOW HARD IS IT TO USE PROPER GRAMMAR AND NOT POST MULTIPLE THINGS THAT COULD BE PUT IN ONE POST! :mad:

In other news, The Horse Doc did better than I thought it would and I think The Apprentice and BGT results will be close tonight.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.itvmedia.co.uk/highlights/ratings

ITV ratings site updated now. Big figures for the ET on the playoff game at 5.30pm
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering the dismal Bank Holiday line-up on the BBCs premier channel, "Britains Got Talent" did very badly.

Look at what BGT was up against and say the BGT rating was excellent.

A mis-judgement from BBC bosses that the country loves BGT. The country does not.

I'm totally sure that some kind of BBC alternative live light entertainment programme would have gotten 6m/7m last night.

Not "The Voice"! Just a LE programme of the type the BBC used to do. Double acts, sketches etc etc.

What are Dick and Dom doing this days?
    At 7:30pm the combined audience for BBC1/ITV1 was just 55% approx

So the potential was there for the BBC. BGT is just not mega any more.

And, more importantly, the BBC have a duty to entertain. They are not CH5 who can take a night off.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »

Posting to DS under the name "Tassium"? :D
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    The panic was short lived, then. ;)

For the past few years the auditions have been steady, the performances have fallen a bit and the results have fallen the most.

The plus argument is that they get the extra ad break. But you wonder if that's worth it on numbers like last nights. It seems likely that at 9pm BGT had 12.2m and if they just went straight through to results they'd probably hold that audience so they'd have had 30 minutes with 11-12m viewers. Instead the audience falls away and they end up with 8m.

The other argument in favour of course is that Corrie got 10.1m last night, a significant lift.

Ultimately the results ratings are damaging to a series average but because they're only 30 minutes ITV aren't so worried as long as the auditions and performances do well. Also, with the rest of the show doing so well, it's obvious that they could solve this problem if they wanted to with better scheduling. They're just choosing not to. If it ever became an issue for ITV, then they'd do something about it I guess.

Last year the Sunday semi-final ran as one 2 hour show from 8-10pm. Excluding +1 the 8-9.30pm bit averaged 9.12m, peaking at 10.71m (at 9.10pm). The results section from 9.30-10pm then averaged 8.85m (peaking at 9.9m at 9.50pm). So there was still a small drop but not to the extent of last night. Based on those numbers had the results ran from 9-9.30pm last night tagged on to the performances show they would have averaged 10.03m (inc +1), giving a 2 hour average of 10.26m. So there would have been an improvement of around 1.7m. However, Corrie would most likely have performed worse at 9.30pm than it did (possibly by over a million given the weaker lead-in and starting off a junction). They'd also lose out on an advert break, so overall I suspect they'd be no better off (possibly even worse off), and this way at least Corrie gets a headline audience as well as BGT (I doubt the producers would be thrilled with a 9.30pm slot every night).

Looking to tonight, the performances show should really be up on last year's 8.2m. Corrie was a million up on last year last night, but The Apprentice will knock it and the BGT Results tonight. I'm thinking:

BGT - 8.5m
    Corrie - 8.5m
    BGT Results - 7m

EastEnders - 5m
    Holby City - 3.5m
    The Apprentice - 5.2m
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danisfunny wrote: »
    I think The Apprentice and BGT results will be close tonight.

Last year in BGT live week The Apprentice rated 5.94m down just 0.19m on the week before.

In 2011 it had a still healthy 6.29m but that was 1.17m down on the week before.

edit: these were both Wednesday nights rather than the Tuesday of this year.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the iplayer figures are requests, not the average number of viewers watching from start to finish. The iPlayer request figures are basically like reach so adding that on is unfair, without calculating the proper average, just like how adding on +1 is unfair.
    True, we don't know how many iPlayer viewers watched the whole programme, but i just wanted to illustrate that when the official numbers were used (even if we say that half the Iplayer views are valid), EE wasn't that far behind CS on the same night last month.

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    Considering the dismal Bank Holiday line-up on the BBCs premier channel, "Britains Got Talent" did very badly.

Look at what BGT was up against and say the BGT rating was excellent.

A mis-judgement from BBC bosses that the country loves BGT. The country does not.

I'm totally sure that some kind of BBC alternative live light entertainment programme would have gotten 6m/7m last night.

Not "The Voice"! Just a LE programme of the type the BBC used to do. Double acts, sketches etc etc.

At 7:30pm the combined audience for BBC1/ITV1 was just 55% approx

So the potential was there for the BBC. BGT is just not mega any more.

And, more importantly, the BBC have a duty to entertain. They are not CH5 who can take a night off.

You are right and wrong! You are right that the BBC could have made more effort. But wrong in that it failed to entertain. It did have varied programmes on even if they were older skewed. What really bugs me is that on a Bank Holiday evening, during a half term holiday, all programmes after 10.20 were repeats or filler. I am getting sick and tired of an extended repeat of a programme shown just twoi days before takes up a plum slot. people don't go to bed at half past ten.(Well not all of us anyway!). There must have been a film they could have shown. Instead of Miranda and the Queen Doc, why not show the second Pirates film? The Queen Doc could easily have been shown on Sunday afternoon! Oh wait a minute, it is! What a surprise.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    You are right and wrong! You are right that the BBC could have made more effort. But wrong in that it failed to entertain. It did have varied programmes on even if they were older skewed.

It's always going to be an arguable thing, whether it's acceptable for the BBC to focus BBC1 to the older viewer and then claim "other channels exist" for the sub-50 audience.

But the BBC's "other channel" (light entertainment) is BBC3... enough said.

And the BBC cannot simply abandon the country to commercial channels and claim it's fulfilling it's remit.

But that's for another thread I think.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bloody fantastic ratings for BGT. Such a great entertainment format that grabs the nation. It's always fun to watch and so feel good as well.

Looking through the window right now at the weather it looks like it could achieve similar ratings tonight as well.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for the first bgt, benefitting from no Eastenders airing whereas this time last year EE aired. Underwhelming for the results show.

I thought the ratings for the results show were very good. You have to remember that it was on at 9.30pm.
  • Options
    tommygrimshaw25tommygrimshaw25 Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Does anyone know what Motor Morphers got last night on Channel 5 at 8pm?

Many thanks! :D
  • Options
    ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its probably the government wanting us plebs to be in bed early to go to work/find work :D

Seriously BBC1 was poor. In fact the channel is getting very poor. BBC2 is better especially with their dramas lately. The Fall is a proper thriller/murder mystery. Something we have been crying out for for years! I am gripped by it. Very well written and a talented cast.

Tonight is no better...well in fact the whole week isnt that better.

Going back to the weather comment...some parts are due decent weather Thurs and Fri. I think tge Met Office like to be conservative with their forecasts.
  • Options
    mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crazy people on here today saying that britains got talents rating was not good last night what a load of rubbish an excellent rating for it last night not much nowadays gets over 10m viewers fantastic rating :)
This discussion has been closed.