Options

have you ever really messed up?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I mean really bad?

I took the p1ss out of a disabled man on a train because I thought he was just drunk. I wanted to die.

Probably said this before. But there are new posters now. So what are your big FAILS?

Comments

• Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No-but maybe one day I'll meet the right girl, and that'll change.....
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my **** ups know no end. They just get more and more outrageous as time goes on. In fact, my entire existence is a series of **** ups only interrupted by the very occasional bit of clear blue water. Then it's back to the **** ups.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We all make mistakes nobody is perfect no matter how much they like to think they are.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reminded me of the inbetweeners scene at thorpe park.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I have. Haven't we all in one way or another? There's no way I'm gonna tell all about it here though!
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Lordy, almost constantly. :o

Much more fun to talk about other people screwing up though...

Once upon a time an oil company developed a system for controlling subsea wellheads remotely.

It took 3 years to develop and they invented some fancy new wellheads and installed 140km of hydraulic lines to make it all happen.

The last phase of the operation involved building a remote-controlled barge (worth $18m) in the USA, towing it half way around the world and then tethering it to the subsea wellheads.

Which is where my mate came in.

The barge was ballasted by partially flooding it with seawater.
    My mate opened the ballast valves and then sat back and waited.
    The job didn't go as quickly as anticipated and it looked like it'd take most of the night as well.
    He wrote out his shift handover notes and then retired for the evening.
    Next morning, he came out on deck and was surprised and confused to find that the barge was no longer visible.

Turned out that, in his shift handover notes, he'd forgotten to mention anything about keeping an eye on the ballasting, the barge had completely filled with seawater and sunk while the night-shift guy just pottered about doing all the other stuff he'd been tasked with.

So, $18m of high-tech barge, 3 years of work and 140km of hydraulic lines all lying 3km down on the seabed where they couldn't be economically recovered.

Oops! :o
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possibly the worst when welding a car in my Garage which caught fire and almost ended up burning the damn house down! :o:rolleyes:
  • Options
    ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

Once upon a time an oil company developed a system for controlling subsea wellheads remotely.

It took 3 years to develop and they invented some fancy new wellheads and installed 140km of hydraulic lines to make it all happen.

The last phase of the operation involved building a remote-controlled barge (worth $18m) in the USA, towing it half way around the world and then tethering it to the subsea wellheads.

The job didn't go as quickly as anticipated and it looked like it'd take most of the night as well.
    Next morning, he came out on deck and was surprised and confused to find that the barge was no longer visible.

Turned out that, in his shift handover notes, he'd forgotten to mention anything about keeping an eye on the ballasting, the barge had completely filled with seawater and sunk while the night-shift guy just pottered about doing all the other stuff he'd been tasked with.

So, $18m of high-tech barge, 3 years of work and 140km of hydraulic lines all lying 3km down on the seabed where they couldn't be economically recovered.

I don't know what other posts will appear, but I don't think anything is going to beat this.
    Was he sacked?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Failed college miserably and stayed until 2 months before the end of the 2 years. I could have left sooner, had some time off and gone back to do something I might have enjoyed.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    ff999 wrote: »
    I don't know what other posts will appear, but I don't think anything is going to beat this.
    Was he sacked?

Don't be daft.

He was promoted and given a new company car.

He was left in the office for a year or so, which is pretty harsh, I guess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh my gosh! :o:o

Nothing will beat this!
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was repatriating a body and lost it somewhere between Greece and Britain. The family were really annoyed.
  • Options
    HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, writing off my first car. I'd only just past my test (6 days previous) My grandparents who brought me the car weren't best pleased :(
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once tried to cook egg fried rice. :eek:
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Years ago when I worked in a bank I had to fax something to a really rude customer.

I was talking about her while doing the fax and said she was a right bitch!

When the fax had gone through and I got my copies back I noticed I had addressed it in huge letters to 'Mrs Bitch' :eek:
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I left my "pill-mate" on a low surface with a child in the house, who found it and ate some of the contents.

He was alright, but he had to go to hospital and I'd never have forgiven myself if there had been lasting damage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Possibly the worst when welding a car in my Garage which caught fire and almost ended up burning the damn house down! :o:rolleyes:

One of our Foremen, who wasn't liked, was welding his wifes car when it went up in flames. He shouted for help but was completely ignored.

It ended up a burned out shell. He hoped the company insurance would pay for it. They didn't as he was doing a home job.:D:D

He really was an arsehole.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once started a seemingly endless number of superficial, facile threads on an internet forum.

How foolish I feel now.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just remembered another cock up I made. :rolleyes:

A guy I used to work with retired but then passed away shortly after so I wanted to go and see the fella off. I was working Nights so in order to get up in time for his Funeral I put in two hours leave and went home early.

Arrived at the 'Crem' and saw a number of folk gathering round but never having met any of his family before, I didn't know anyone and I was a bit annoyed that nobody else from work had bothered to attend.

Cortege arrives, coffin taken in and everybody filed in after. I took a seat and picked up and Order of Service.........which was in memory of Mary. That's weird I thought.....i've come to see Trevor off. Went to have a word with one of the Crem chaps who looked through his list, then said, "oh yes.....Mr Davies was cremated this morning at 10am."

I was at the wrong Funeral........Trev had 'gone up the chimney' four hours earlier. :rolleyes::rolleyes::o
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scotch wrote: »
    Years ago when I worked in a bank I had to fax something to a really rude customer.[...]When the fax had gone through and I got my copies back I noticed I had addressed it in huge letters to 'Mrs Bitch'

That is very funny! It makes me feel better about my recent error in which I meant to send an e-mail to the manager about a customer but accidentally sent it to that customer!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yellowpark wrote: »

come on, you need to expand on this. Please do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    Have you ever really f*cked up? I mean really bad?

The only time I've ever f***ed up was when alcohol was involved. Time and time again. Wish I'd never drank the stuff tbh.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Best story I've read on DS - Ever!!! That simply cannot be beaten!
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing overly serious, and not me, but my mum asked the toilet attendant in a club once when her baby was due, and then patted her tummy. The lady wasn't pregnant. :D
  • Options
    manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yellowpark wrote: »

Don't tell me, you forgot the rice? :D