Options

The Indian Doctor..series 2.

Comments

• Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    kazziecon wrote: »
    I have a certificate which confirms (and I remember it well) that I had a vaccination against Smallpox in 1978! I believe there was a suspected case in Birmingham or Leicester and, as I was going on holiday, some destinations would not allow you to travel unless you were vaccinated! I think it was the year I went to Malta!

That would have been when a medical photographer was in a lab and contracted smallpox (and died). For a while after that you couldn't travel out of Britain without proving that you had been vaccinated.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fine series.

The kiss didn't bother me. I think it said that although they felt for each other they knew it could go no further.

Glad the mother is staying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    well Im sorry I did have it cos I was told I had to and I have the scar so please dont accuse me of lying

Sorry, you may have misunderstood me - I was not suggesting you didn't have the vaccination - clearly you did and you have the scar.
    What I meant was that it couldn't be true that the USA would not let you in without it, because I did go there in 1978 and I have never had smallpox vacc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I couldn't take seriously the story that Megan had agreed to marry Emlyn.
    Why?

Emlyn may be a decent bloke, but she is still clearly in love with Prem (although it won't happen between them). It's not as though she has to be married, so, even though she may be lonely and living in a small place, it's not exactly the nineteenth century. She would just let him down gently and hope for the best, surely?

On the whole, it's a good series, so it's a shame when it's let down by daft storylines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »
    That would have been when a medical photographer was in a lab and contracted smallpox (and died). For a while after that you couldn't travel out of Britain without proving that you had been vaccinated.

Yes, that was poor Janet Parker at Birmingham Uni Med school. She was the last person in the world to have caught smallpox and died (her mother contracted it from her but survived). The Prof Head of the Lab killed himself out of remorse a few days before she died

Now the virus is only kept in two labs in the world (Russia and the CDC in USA), but scientists seem resigned to the likelihood that rogue governments and terrorist organisations have stocks of the virus, as well as many other very nasty bugs.:eek:
  • Options
    tweenietweenie Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the series.

I need to watch it again to be sure but I'm sure they said that Dan's dad was going to be one of the 7 that got the vaccine, yet it seemed to me that he didn't get it until the van arrived and was delayed being with his son.
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredcat wrote: »
    i really enjoyed this story and hope they do a third series, not sure what they'll do about Megan and Emlyn getting married though because i remember in Heartbeat a few years ago Gina the pub landlady had to give up being the landlady so that she could marry a policeman. So if Megan and Emlyn get married will Megan give up being a landlady?

Good spot, I too remember Gina having that dilema at the time.
    Now I wonder what will happen there then?
    I couldn't believe that Prem kissed Megan, that spoilt it for me. He had said nothing could come of it yet they kissed:rolleyes:
  • Options
    ruby-tuesdayruby-tuesday Posts: 8,472
    Forum Member
    UpInMyFace wrote: »
    I've just ordered the first series from Amazon.

I only ended up catching this one as I have been off work.

BBC Daytime do shows that are sometimes much better than those on primetime.

I do hope it gets a primetime repeat. I think the Call The Midwife type of audience would lap this show up.

I've only just discovered The Indian Doctor and have really enjoyed it because I have a fascination for India and love the Welsh accent, steam trains and '60's music :)

I hope there's another series and in a prime time slot next time, will now have to order the first series from Amazon, too
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope there's another series and in a prime time slot next time,
    Why, for you, is a prime time slot considered important?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Why, for you, is a prime time slot considered important?

it's not that important but, because I work in the afternoon, I have to record it or catch it on iplayer, which is not really a problem but I think the programme would reach a bigger audience if it was shown in the evening
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,677
    Forum Member
    It is shown in the evening. At a later date.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's not that important but, because I work in the afternoon, I have to record it or catch it on iplayer, which is not really a problem but I think the programme would reach a bigger audience if it was shown in the evening
    It probably would, but what about the daytime audience then? What programme would they have (to suffer in some cases)?

If all good daytime programmes were to move to peak time, then the daytime schedules would become a wasteland of rubbish and repeats.

Which does not serve the daytime audience at all.
  • Options
    beaky29beaky29 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    What a wonderful series.
    We all sat and watched it and the kids enjoyed it too!
    let's see more of family entertainment on the tele!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    It is shown in the evening. At a later date.

I hope so, I'd love to watch it all again
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    It probably would, but what about the daytime audience then? What programme would they have (to suffer in some cases)?

If all good daytime programmes were to move to peak time, then the daytime schedules would become a wasteland of rubbish and repeats.

Which does not serve the daytime audience at all.

I never watch daytime television so I don't know what's on (which is why I missed the first series of The Indian Doctor)but I do agree with you, there should be some decent programmes on during the day then those of us who can't watch in the afternoon can easily record them to see later :)
  • Options
    laundryladylaundrylady Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have loved both series of Indian Doctor and am really happy that there is some original drama in the daytime. In fact I wish they would show repeats of old BBC drama series rather than constant house/antique/watch out for scams programmes. I would love to watch any of the more recent costume dramas again in the mornings. Thank god they retired Dick Van Dyke and Angela Lansbury though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank god they retired Dick Van Dyke and Angela Lansbury though!

You can see Murder She Wrote on ITV on Sunday, just before Columbo (which I love watching :D)
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having finally gotten around to watching series two all i can say is roll on series three. I love this series i think i'm getting a major crush for Sanjeev Bhaskar he is absolutly brillant in this series. I was reading some comments on the fact that in the last episode his charater kissed Megan i for one was not upset by this as this was going on since series one. I know he has a good and lovely wife but you can see a real connection of unrequited love between Prem and Megan. So when series three is made i am looking forward to seeing what if anything happens at Megans wedding. Mark Heap was brilliant as he always is. Excellent series.:);)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was reading some comments on the fact that in the last episode his charater kissed Megan i for one was not upset by this as this was going on since series one. I know he has a good and lovely wife but you can see a real connection of unrequited love between Prem and Megan.

To be honest the kiss didn't ring true to me. I think the feelings are more on her side than his, though he probably does fancy her a bit and is very flattered that she's obviously so keen on him. When she asked his advice about whether to accept Emlyn's proposal and wanted to "talk about us" there is no "us" to talk about!
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next week a repeat of 'Missing' which I seem to remember as being pretty dire...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jcv2x

I really enjoyed Missing and would love to see another series of that as well!... i don't suppose it will happen though as Pauline Quirk has gone onto bigger and better things!!!....
    I like all things investigative, same as Without a Trace, i loved that as well but it seems like i am in a minority for that sort of 'drama'......and they all finish!...:cry:

By the way.... i also loved the Indian Doctor and was very pleasantly surprised to see another series!... completely unexpected by me!....:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    To be honest the kiss didn't ring true to me. I think the feelings are more on her side than his, though he probably does fancy her a bit and is very flattered that she's obviously so keen on him. When she asked his advice about whether to accept Emlyn's proposal and wanted to "talk about us" there is no "us" to talk about!

True in that she seems more in to him that he to her. But it would be interesting how they solve this that is why i hope they make another series as i say i think even if it is more on her side he may feel something too. :)
  • Options
    Targa777Targa777 Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    I'm watching the repeats of this on Sundays.... I've seen up to episode 3 but checking todays and next Sundays schedule there is no sign of the next episode ....anyone know when the next episode is being shown ??
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Targa777 wrote: »
    I'm watching the repeats of this on Sundays.... I've seen up to episode 3 but checking todays and next Sundays schedule there is no sign of the next episode ....anyone know when the next episode is being shown ??

Looks like it'll be back on 23 September.
  • Options
    Targa777Targa777 Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Thank you.... The BBC planning department strikes again... ridiculious to wait so long !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know whether a third series of this is in the pipeline?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    red_outlaw wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether a third series of this is in the pipeline?

I was wondering this myself and were is the DVD of the second series?:)