Options

The Tudors. BBC2

Comments

• Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree....two full series of Anne Boleyn and I was still left wanting more....I suspect her true character was somewhat exaggerated by the script writer but nevertheless Natalie Dormer was fantastic in portraying the woman who captivated the Kings heart and then so spectacturly fell from grace... At the end of the day Anne Boleyn is a member of a very select group of of People who's lives really did change the nations history...and perversely historians really don't know that many hard facts about her life...including her date of birth...or even the year

I was slightly disappointed to learn the final series ends with Henry's death...It would have been more fitting to follow the events which lead to Mary's and then Elizebeth's Coronation...The young actress playing Lady Mary is another star of the series IMO

I agree but they had tied themselves in to some knots with the previous changes that may have made some stories difficult (Lady Jane Grey for example)
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 50,230
    Forum Member
    I agree....two full series of Anne Boleyn and I was still left wanting more....I suspect her true character was somewhat exaggerated by the script writer but nevertheless Natalie Dormer was fantastic in portraying the woman who captivated the Kings heart and then so spectacturly fell from grace... At the end of the day Anne Boleyn is a member of a very select group of of People who's lives really did change the nations history...and perversely historians really don't know that many hard facts about her life...including her date of birth...or even the year

I was slightly disappointed to learn the final series ends with Henry's death...It would have been more fitting to follow the events which lead to Mary's and then Elizebeth's Coronation...The young actress playing Lady Mary is another star of the series IMO

So Henry's first daughter did become Queen? I was trying to look up who reigned after him and it looked like an eventual son, Edward?

I wasn't keen on Anne Boleyn at all nor the actress that played her. I thought the first actress to play her sister was much better looking and I'm kinda surprised Henry didn't get Eleanor back either after.

I agree it would have been good if they continued the drama into other Kings and Queens rule.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    So Henry's first daughter did become Queen? I was trying to look up who reigned after him and it looked like an eventual son, Edward?

I wasn't keen on Anne Boleyn at all nor the actress that played her. I thought the first actress to play her sister was much better looking and I'm kinda surprised Henry didn't get Eleanor back either after.

I agree it would have been good if they continued the drama into other Kings and Queens rule.

Edward VI, Henry's son, had a short reign, dying in 1553. The throne then went to the eldest daughter, Mary, who attempted to restore Catholicism and went down in history as 'Bloody Mary' in the process. The throne went to Elizabeth in 1558, after Mary died (following a disastrous marriage to Philip of Spain and some very sad and embarrassing 'phantom pregnancies'). Elizabeth went on to reign until 1603, but as she never married, the Tudor line died with her.

I do find it odd that this series is called 'The Tudors' when it ignores the reigns of most of them, including the longest reigning member of the dynasty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member

If you are un familiar with the History then I would't rely on the Tudors TV series to put you in the picture...Anne was very well educated..spoke several languages and was thought to be a reasonably accomplished musician...She was also a pretty feisty young woman who argued with King Henry in private..and more importantly in public....Many have argued that it was her feisty character which attracted Henry rather than her looks...she was thought to be attractive by the standards of the day but certainly not a stunner.

The writer of the Tudors was commissioned to produce entertainment...and not a History drama...So the characters portrayed on the screen are infact exaggerated Caricatures of real people...and many events described in the show have no historical foundation....For example.. Anne may have been encouraged to court the Kings attention for the benifit of her family but if you believed the Tudors you would have thought she was part and parcel of an evil plot...she was't...Henry was captivated and enchanted by her.

Google... Henry VIII love letters...Amazingly several of Henry's love letters to Anne survive to this day...written in French..they were believed to have been stolen from Anne and eventually found their way into the Vatican Library...no one knows how they ended up there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Edward VI, Henry's son, had a short reign, dying in 1553. The throne then went to the eldest daughter, Mary, who attempted to restore Catholicism and went down in history as 'Bloody Mary' in the process. The throne went to Elizabeth in 1558, after Mary died (following a disastrous marriage to Philip of Spain and some very sad and embarrassing 'phantom pregnancies'). Elizabeth went on to reign until 1603, but as she never married, the Tudor line died with her.

I do find it odd that this series is called 'The Tudors' when it ignores the reigns of most of them, including the longest reigning member of the dynasty.

Thanks for the info. Amazing that Elizabeth never married. I'l try and read up on this stuff more.
    If you are un familiar with the History then I would't rely on the Tudors TV series to put you in the picture...Anne was very well educated..spoke several languages and was thought to be a reasonably accomplished musician...She was also a pretty feisty young woman who argued with King Henry in private..and more importantly in public....Many have argued that it was her feisty character which attracted Henry rather than her looks...she was thought to be attractive by the standards of the day but certainly not a stunner.

The writer of the Tudors was commissioned to produce entertainment...and not a History drama...So the characters portrayed on the screen are infact exaggerated Caricatures of real people...and many events described in the show have no historical foundation....For example.. Anne may have been encouraged to court the Kings attention for the benifit of her family but if you believed the Tudors you would have thought she was part and parcel of an evil plot...she was't...Henry was captivated and enchanted by her.

Google... Henry VIII love letters...Amazingly several of Henry's love letters to Anne survive to this day...written in French..they were believed to have been stolen from Anne and eventually found their way into the Vatican Library...no one knows how they ended up there.

I've heard the anectodatal stories about Henry The 8th over the years and watched some of the documenteries on BBC 2 about Boleyn and Cromwell and that documentery about Boleyn did not make me warm to her still. I thought it was out of order how both her and Henry treated Catherine. It looks like it was the norm for Kings to have mistresses but it doesn't impress me that they did and other Royal still have had them since.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I've heard the anectodatal stories about Henry The 8th over the years and watched some of the documenteries on BBC 2 about Boleyn and Cromwell and that documentery about Boleyn did not make me warm to her still. I thought it was out of order how both her and Henry treated Catherine. It looks like it was the norm for Kings to have mistresses but it doesn't impress me that they did and other Royal still have had them since.

I agree...Anne was certainly no saint but the Tudors TV series virtually portrays her as the devil...But when push comes to shove we will never truly know...History is no more than an interpretation of a given set of facts and presumptions...and I suppose that's why historians disagree about virtually..if not every, historical event.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree...Anne was certainly no saint but the Tudors TV series virtually portrays her as the devil...But when push comes to shove we will never truly know...History is no more than an interpretation of a given set of facts and presumptions...and I suppose that's why historians disagree about virtually..if not every, historical event.

I wouldn't be surprised if the history is generally correct. We as a country seem to be pretty good at keeping records of our history and Henry did indeed seem to be someone who would do anything to get his own way and because of that, I wouldn't be surprised if the Boleyns where the way they are portrayed in order to get what they wanted, even if it was only for a short while.

I would like to see more documenteries that explain how the Royals ruled from William the Conqureur onwards and how their blood lines panned out, who they got married to and why and what was their exact relationships with other Royal Families in Europe and even elsewhere in the world?

That Edward Longshanks is someone I'd like to see to see documenteries on too.
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    river27 wrote: »
    I'm enjoying the series, although I admit it is a little slow...

By the way, apologies if my old ears deceived me, but did Cardinal Wolsey utter the "C" word in tonight's episode?

:)

Earlier in series 1 William Compton also said the dreaded "c" word! (We are watching it on DVD borrowed from my sister!)
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think people overlook the fact that Daughters back then were the properties of their fathers then husbands. So when thomas Boelyn saw Henry's favour turn to Anne he jumped on it. Anne probably would have had no say in the matter but was savvy enough to not settle for mistress. Plus with Henry's lust for an air and increasing displeasure at a menopausal wife ravaged by many pregnancies it all just sort of came together for them. But it's important to note the common denominator in all of this is Henry and his ever changing moods minds and unwavering desire for a male air. But of all his wives Jane sticks in my throat the most i cannot abide her and The Tudors doe snothing to change that :p

And Styker i agree Mary Queen of Scots would be good as it includes the French court dring her early life :)
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

Yes - Mary became Queen after her brother Edward died albeit not without an initial struggle as a lot of people did not want to see her take the crown.

Mary Tudor is much maligned in history - primarily because she was Catholic and tried to reverse the reformation. Her dad and sister killed/persecuted far more people - but she is remembered as a mass murderer whereas they are loved.

Had she lived and given birth to a son British (and world) history might have been very different.

The victors write the history - and she was on the wrong side. But then I am of Irish Catholic descent so a bit biased!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I also find Sarah Bolger really captivating as Lady Mary (even more so now as I'm rewatching). I'd love to see a film/series of Lady Mary's reign (is there any?).

It's such a gripping series.

Yes - Sarah Bolger was great. A shame they couldn't have done another series with her as Queen and her battles with Elizabeth (who comes across as a right stuck up brat near the end of the final Tudor series).

Re Mary Tudor mostly she is covered in longer films about Elizabeth's life and how she came to the throne - I don't think there is a specific film about her at all.

She was portrayed as a nasty old witch in Elizabeth by Kathy Burke opposite Cate Blanchett. Here is one scene which epitomises how history has made her out to be a nasty piece of work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itHVWrhsRSc
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Yes - Mary became Queen after her brother Edward died albeit not without an initial struggle as a lot of people did not want to see her take the crown.

Mary Tudor is much maligned in history - primarily because she was Catholic and tried to reverse the reformation. Her dad and sister killed/persecuted far more people - but she is remembered as a mass murderer whereas they are loved.

Bloody Mary :D
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did Spain not react to Catherine of Aragon's plight? It seems so sad that she died alone, why didn't the Spanish Royals save her?
    Also when Henry and Anne of Cleves marriage ended it was very harsh that she was stranded here, she should have been allowed to return home with an opportunity to remarry.
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did Spain not react to Catherine of Aragon's plight? It seems so sad that she died alone, why didn't the Spanish Royals save her?
    Also when Henry and Anne of Cleves marriage ended it was very harsh that she was stranded here, she should have been allowed to return home with an opportunity to remarry.

I don't think Anne wanted to go home. By all accounts she very much enjoyed her life in Lewes in Sussex.
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 3 begins and it seems to be all change.

A new actress as Jane Seymour.

Cranmer no-where to be seen.

Bishop Gardiner and Thomas Bryant now in key positions and involved as if they've been around forever but we haven't seen them before.

Can anyone help?
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - Sarah Bolger was great. A shame they couldn't have done another series with her as Queen and her battles with Elizabeth (who comes across as a right stuck up brat near the end of the final Tudor series).

Re Mary Tudor mostly she is covered in longer films about Elizabeth's life and how she came to the throne - I don't think there is a specific film about her at all.

She was portrayed as a nasty old witch in Elizabeth by Kathy Burke opposite Cate Blanchett. Here is one scene which epitomises how history has made her out to be a nasty piece of work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itHVWrhsRSc

I think it was only some like 300 people which yes is alot but in reality History amkes it seem like thousands :p

And to the other poster Anne of Cleeves got off lightly kept her head had many estates and money and was allowed a relationship with her stepchildren all of whiom she adored especially Elizabeth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tennisman wrote: »

Bishop Gardiner and Thomas Bryant now in key positions and involved as if they've been around forever but we haven't seen them before.

Can anyone help?

Artistic license...Characters were introduced to the audience as and when they became central to the plot..eg .Jane Seymour was believed to be a maid in waiting to Cathrine of Aragon and was a Lady in Waiting to Anne Boleyn...and yet she was only introduced to the TV audience when she was noticed by Henry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artistic license...Characters were introduced to the audience as and when they became central to the plot..eg .Jane Seymour was believed to be a maid in waiting to Cathrine of Aragon and was a Lady in Waiting to Anne Boleyn...and yet she was only introduced to the TV audience when she was noticed by Henry

Thanks.

Eagerly awaiting JRM's morphing into an Irish accent.

Keep thinking Colm Wilkinson's going to launch into a rendition of Bring Him Home, or the like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Henry the 8th not only abandoned his daughters while they where growing up but was prepared to have Mary killed as well?! I think the guy was an out and out , well I'l leave it to your imagination just in case some don't like what I want to say about him but from now on, whenever I do come across those that speak highly of him, I will be tempted to ask why!
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I think it was only some like 300 people which yes is alot but in reality History amkes it seem like thousands :p

And to the other poster Anne of Cleeves got off lightly kept her head had many estates and money and was allowed a relationship with her stepchildren all of whiom she adored especially Elizabeth.

Well 300 burnings would be thousands if she had reigned as long as her father or sister instead of 5 and a bit years.

Watched all 10 eps of Season 2 yesterday, very nice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Henry the 8th not only abandoned his daughters while they where growing up but was prepared to have Mary killed as well?! I think the guy was an out and out , well I'l leave it to your imagination just in case some don't like what I want to say about him but from now on, whenever I do come across those that speak highly of him, I will be tempted to ask why!

Lol...I don`t think many will speak highly of him...I suppose his reputation has ensured he is still one of the most famous historical figuers throughout the World.

What we do need to remember though is that he lived in a different era from us,...an era with differing beliefs and values...We have to judge and compare his character and actions with that of his contemporaries...rather than with those of today
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tennisman wrote: »

Can anyone help?

A lot of characters came and went and there was a lot of mixing of characters.

Calum Blue played a friend of Henry and Suffolk in series 1 and disappeared in seris 2.

Cranmer went missing after series 2 - despite being around in reality at the time. Later Mary Tudor had him burned - well he had developed the rulings which annulled her Mum's marriage and made her illegitimate so you can't blame her.

Henry had two sisters - Margaret and Mary - but they merged the two effectively into one Margaret (althogh based on Marys life!) as they thought having two Marys would confuse viewers. This could have caused problems had the Tudors continued - one was the grandmother of Henry's sons wife (Lady Jane Grey) whereas the other was the mother of Mary Queen of Scots. It was Mary who married Suffolk - not Margaret - and died young.

Francis Bryan appeared in series 3 - despite being around earlier - and then disappeared.

Peter O Toole was Pope in series 2 - then disappeared (although he played a different pope to the one at the time).

Emperor Charles of Spain (Catherine of Aragons nephew) appeared in series 1 - but was never seen again despite being referenced a lot unlike the French king who appeared quite often in the first two series then disappeared.

All very confusing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Calum Blue played a friend of Henry and Suffolk in series 1 and disappeared in seris 2.

Cranmer went missing after series 2 - despite being around in reality at the time. Later Mary Tudor had him burned - well he had developed the rulings which annulled her Mum's marriage and made her illegitimate so you can't blame her.

Henry had two sisters - Margaret and Mary - but they merged the two effectively into one Margaret (althogh based on Marys life!) as they thought having two Marys would confuse viewers. This could have caused problems had the Tudors continued - one was the grandmother of Henry's sons wife (Lady Jane Grey) whereas the other was the mother of Mary Queen of Scots. It was Mary who married Suffolk - not Margaret - and died young.

Francis Bryan appeared in series 3 - despite being around earlier - and then disappeared.

Peter O Toole was Pope in series 2 - then disappeared (although he played a different pope to the one at the time).

Emperor Charles of Spain (Catherine of Aragons nephew) appeared in series 1 - but was never seen again despite being referenced a lot unlike the French king who appeared quite often in the first two series then disappeared.

All very confusing!

Thanks Marty :)
  • Options
    LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member

I'm not sure (perhaps I'll be corrected if I've got it wrong) but I think the issue of Catherine having been married to Henry's brother first of all gave her spanish royal family a theological headache. It was the very thing Henry was using to split both from Catherine and from Rome. The care - or lack of - given to Catherine by Henry wasn't taken lightly but disputing the legimacy of the marriage would've been a bit of a problem as it was word against word rather than definitive either way. It wasn't something the spanish could seriously fight on without possibly upsetting Rome and/or God.

Anne of Cleves became Henry's honorary sister and had a comfortable life in England, outliving him and all his other wives. She was a fairly popular woman among those who spent time with her. Henry just wasn't attracted to her.

I've had this beaten up book about Henry's wives since I was a kid so I've always been interested in them and Tudor history in general. Anne of Cleves was always my favourite for whatever reason. Maybe because I thought she had the prettiest portrait.

I remember hearing an interview Sean Maguire on the radio where he talked about Calum, as he's a mate of his. He said Calum was really unlucky as he had this role in The Tudors but he broke his collarbone in an accident and couldn't film, so his character was dropped from the show.
  • Options
    danishdancerdanishdancer Posts: 269
    Forum Member

All very confusing!

Jane Grey wasn't married to Edward, but I believe they were brought up very closely, and that he named her as his heir. I may be wrong though. Will have to have a google.