Options

Another Yewtree arrest

Comments

• Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    apparently the arrest was in east london on monday - on Sunday he was in concert in Manchester.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Yew trees are innocent.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Arcana wrote: »
    Yew trees are innocent.
    That made em smile.:D
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why do they (the police) even say this if they're not gonna say who it is ? what's the point ?

They are probably asked by the media, who have sources.

The Police wont name anyone unless they charge them.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I don't get the glee with these cases? why would someone WISH it to be a certain person??
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why do they (the police) even say this if they're not gonna say who it is ? what's the point ?

I think they're legally required to say is they arrest someone, else we'd essentially have a secret police.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    I think they're legally required to say is they arrest someone, else we'd essentially have a secret police.

They are not required to, but if the press ask, they will say this type of thing.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    I don't get the glee with these cases? why would someone WISH it to be a certain person??

Not to mention the eagerness to post a name:(
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dunno. Christopher Jefferies got the same treatment, though.
  • Options
    offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've said it before - why do they only seem to be going after "easy targets" of elderly male celebs? Something really stinks about Operation Witchhunt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they should say

someone has been arrested, but

it's not who you think

haven't been on the telly for years

almost a non-entity

etc
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I've said it before - why do they only seem to be going after "easy targets" of elderly male celebs? Something really stinks about Operation Witchhunt.
    Well if it was elderly(now) celebs that were abusing people when they were 'famous' i'd say that is probably why.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I, Candy wrote: »
    Oh please, please PLEASE let it be him!

I'm far from a fan of this guy, but how nasty can you get. :mad:
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yup, it seems highly coincidental to me that all these alleged victims of all these alleged abusers have only just surfaced. You might say one or two feared their allegations wouldn't be believed at the time, but not all of them, against all the alleged offenders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why would someone WISH it to be a certain person??

Because they're a horrible piece of work. It's a deranged way of thinking.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fink wrote: »
    Yup, it seems highly coincidental to me that all these alleged victims of all these alleged abusers have only just surfaced. You might say one or two feared their allegations wouldn't be believed at the time, but not all of them, against all the alleged offenders.

Is it not possible that someone just kept picking at the thread until it unravelled by a) someone influential finally believed them which opened the floodgates for all the other dismissed allegation or b) someone influential died and took all the power he had over people with him!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fink wrote: »

My mum used to get perved over in offices when she was a teen/twentysomething working in London. She laughs her head off at the idea of reporting any of what went on forty years ago to the police. I think it's a joke too. It's so obviously the compensation culture that's driving a lot of these claims because there seems to be such an unrealistically large number of people coming out of the woodwork.

I have every empathy with genuine abuse victims for whom it takes years to come forward because they're so deeply traumatised but I think, sadly, sexual abuse has become a trendy bandwagon to jump on and an easy way to get a bit of cash and some column inches / a guest slot on This Morning.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I, Candy wrote: »
    Oh please, please PLEASE let it be him!

what a weird pathetic thing to say
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me neither. It seems that if you were a man involved in any kind of popular entertainment from the '50s to the '90's you're ripe for being accused. The whole thing has gotten ridiculous and this from someone who was only too keen for Savile's actions to be made public.

It's not good.

Not good for those who've genuinely spent years coping with the trauma of being sexually assaulted.
    Not good because it's undermining the significance of the above and
    Not good because many of the names that are being cast around- even to the point where some have been arrested and questioned- will be completely innocent of any wrongdoing in this area.

The fact that there are genuine victims of sexual assault, historic or otherwise is a tragedy.
    The fact that there are lives being ruined by false or spurious allegations is also very sad.
    The fact that some perpetrators will always slip under the net and get away with it is very rough on their victims and I hope that the attention being given to high profile, more sensationalist allegations isn't detracting from these.
  • Options
    Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if it was him he is certainly the right age.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum used to get perved over in offices when she was a teen/twentysomething working in London. She laughs her head off at the idea of reporting any of what went on forty years ago to the police. I think it's a joke too. It's so obviously the compensation culture that's driving a lot of these claims because there seems to be such an unrealistically large number of people coming out of the woodwork.

I have every empathy with genuine abuse victims for whom it takes years to come forward because they're so deeply traumatised but I think, sadly, sexual abuse has become a trendy bandwagon to jump on and an easy way to get a bit of cash and some column inches / a guest slot on This Morning.

As I am fond of quoting:

"Hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle".
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Me neither. It seems that if you were a man involved in any kind of popular entertainment from the '50s to the '90's you're ripe for being accused.

On the plus side, it seems to be putting an end to the seemingly-interminable stream of nostalgic list shows. Nobody wants to risk getting ANYONE on to talk about the 80s just in case they show up on the front of the Star the day before it goes to air.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Elyan wrote: »
    His name was mentioned a while ago in connection with the Elm Guest House investigation - into allegations that childrens' home boys were brought to a London hotel for the entertainment of VIP's.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2272253/Timebomb-Elm-Guest-House-Pop-stars-bishop-politician-appear-list-seized-police-investigating-child-abuse-London-hotel-1980s.html#axzz2Jp41bdrg

What a dreadfully sad story. Sadly it would appear this was pretty common place in children's homes. It's about time some of the perpertrators were bought to justice - celebrity or otherwise.
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's a shame there wasn't a culture at that time where women realised - along with men - that 'perving' is not acceptable and can be a criminal offence.

So, was your mum sexually assaulted, groped, touched-up, raped? What did your mum think was acceptable and ok?

It's good that people are being held accountable for crimes whenever they were committed.

And your comment about 'compensation culture' is, IMO, offensive and belittles the experiences of the women, and men, who have been brave enough to come forward.
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And your comment about 'compensation culture' is, IMO, offensive and belittles the experiences of the women, and men, who have been brave enough to come forward.

All of them apparently at once after so long in silence is suspicious in my opinion.