Options

Sky Sports and ESPN to leave Top Up TV (merged)

Comments

• Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed and Sky are proving that as well. Its Ofcom who got involved because it was a monopoly on sports rights - clearly not the case now.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sobeit wrote: »
    Interesting. So TUTV will still be sending bills to customers after the sports subscriptions cease. Suggesting the other services continue.

No chance! Re-read this bit:
    We will be writing to you shortly with full details of these offers on a range of Sky's fantastic sports and entertainment packages. In the mean time call Sky TV now on 08442 410 457 to find out about these great deals.

Im sure the tiny amount of TV Favourites will also get letters giving them close down dates.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    DougP wrote: »
    The point I have against BT is that we CANNOT get broadband and nor can large parts of the country.....

...which presumably means that Sky Sports and BT Sports via satellite are now the only viable alternatives for such areas. At least the BT Sports channels can be purchased separately without buying a Sky Sports package although you'd probably have to have at least freesat from Sky installed first.
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed - if you live 'in the sticks' you have to make the most of what you can get. If you can't get 3-4Mbps broadband then the Sky Platform will be the only way to receive Pay TV Sport, even if that only means a Freesat from Sky system with a direct subscription to BT Sport.

BT will be rolling out their TV Connect service to more exchanges including ADSL2+ users (in addition to the current Infinity customers) at some stage. There are rumours that carriage deals are in the offing with Talk Talk and other ISPs who resell Youview boxes. But if you want 'proper' TV quality pictures on your TV you're still going to need 3-4Mbps, otherwise you have no choice but Satellite.

BT Sport on DTT for BT customers is only a stopgap, and will not be sold to non-BT customers.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Indeed - if you live 'in the sticks' you have to make the most of what you can get. If you can't get 3-4Mbps broadband then the Sky Platform will be the only way to receive Pay TV Sport, even if that only means a Freesat from Sky system with a direct subscription to BT Sport.

BT will be rolling out their TV Connect service to more exchanges including ADSL2+ users (in addition to the current Infinity customers) at some stage. There are rumours that carriage deals are in the offing with Talk Talk and other ISPs who resell Youview boxes. But if you want 'proper' TV quality pictures on your TV you're still going to need 3-4Mbps, otherwise you have no choice but Satellite.

BT Sport on DTT for BT customers is only a stopgap, and will not be sold to non-BT customers.

...thus providing a heavy incentive to Freeview/DTT customers who really want some sport to change their ISP to BT and bingo!, another extra sale for BT.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly we all saw it coming so bye bye TUTV.

As a none sports fan I really enjoyed the TV Favurites service when it was fully up and running. We had a good selection of programmes and the overall content for all the family worked well. It also was handy downloading as there was no messing about setting up record times or series link etc.:cry:

And as someone who has been with TUTV more or less since the start about 8 years give or take I will really miss it but at least I'll save some money.:(

I suppose BT can do as they please with their services but if you don't want/ or can't get internet or can't have a dish this will be a bit of a blow.

We haven't had a letter yet from TUTV but I'm sure one will turn up in the next few days/weeks.

I suppose at least things will keep going until the end of July so that's something.

Of course the added issue will be that as TUTV use so little space on Freeview there isn't really much chance of a new SD channel taking over or if we do get something it will be shopping Tv or something similar.:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So in the end the Sky won out in the pay TV stakes. Which to be fair was just a matter of time. BT will do fairly well for itself as for those of us who aren't sports fan and used Picture Box and the remains of the TV Fav. service this really sucks!

But TUTv did well to keep going as long as it has. Nine years when faced with Sky and Virgin isn't really all that bad, I suppose the chap who bought it after selling off all the assets he could to recover some of his investment won't be complaining all that much. Shame as to be fair there was still a market for this serivce or something similar.

As we don't want internet and can't have a dish (so no freesat) it looks like we're back to Freeview and juggling the programmes to see what we get.
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    And what have Sky done for years with their channels? BT have bought the rights and as a result can sell to who they like.

If Google had bought the rights then you wouldn't find people demanding YouTube TV to appear on a platform for someone else to resell.

Isn't that what BT did with Sky. Sky bought the sports rights, but BT took legal action demanding that it should be able to show Sky's rights on its platform. That is how Sky came to be on BT Vision.
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose BT can do as they please with their services but if you don't want/ or can't get internet or can't have a dish this will be a bit of a blow.

I don't understand this 'don't want Internet' attitude I have seen a couple of times on this board. The Internet is a medium - you can use it for what you want. So like TUTV you can pay and use it just for TV reception if you so wish - you don't need to attach a PC to it if you are afraid of the 'evil web' :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's not that I think the internet is evil but I just don't use it at home and we don't see the value of having the service when we don't use it, plus depending on where you are IPTV is still always very good at the moment and to be fair we hardly use the phone but it is still useful to have a land line but to pay for that and broadband just seems a waste of money.

I am sure there are a lot of people who don't want internet based TV or use the internet to shop, bank etc. some of us are just happy with a plug and play set up like TUTV via the old rabbit ears which won't go funny due to server use, or bad weather when the dish plays up etc.

I have nothing against the internet and it is very useful but it isn't something I'm that big a fan of overall. After all with out we wouldn't be able to do this:)

I know that is stupid view to take in our wonderful 21st Century it's just my view, sorry tech fans
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    So by the looks of it after topup tv disappears there are not that many options for non bt broadband customers for sports. I’m tied in a broadband contract with sky until early next year and bt infinity is not available for me anyway. You reckon BT would offer BT sport for non BT bb customers via aerial or shall I take the hit and go to sky tv (£40 a month for sky tv+sports is quite a lot I think)?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    it's not that I think the internet is evil but I just don't use it at home and we don't see the value of having the service when we don't use it, plus depending on where you are IPTV is still always very good at the moment and to be fair we hardly use the phone but it is still useful to have a land line but to pay for that and broadband just seems a waste of money.

I am sure there are a lot of people who don't want internet based TV or use the internet to shop, bank etc. some of us are just happy with a plug and play set up like TUTV via the old rabbit ears which won't go funny due to server use, or bad weather when the dish plays up etc.

I have nothing against the internet and it is very useful but it isn't something I'm that big a fan of overall. After all with out we wouldn't be able to do this:)

I know that is stupid view to take in our wonderful 21st Century it's just my view, sorry tech fans

I think there is a commercial opportunity being missed for a simple 2 box IPTV set up.

Box 1 plugs into phone socket. Box 2 plugs into back of tv, and they are pre set up assigned with the same secure WIFI codes.
    Plug in and go.

And for anyone who says why bother when router + tv box do the same thing, just look at the thousands of queries and issues there are on forums on trying to get equipment paired over wifi networks.

Anyone got the number for Dragons Den?
  • Options
    NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ding dong the witch is dead :o erm I mean RIP TUTV :cry: Goodbye CAM :yawn:
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are large parts that cant get DTT as well.

You can watch BT Sports on the £16 unlimited broadband package. OK its slower than fibre, but as long as you have at least 400k you can stream it online or watch it on your TV via the viewing card they send you.

I think for £10 you can get BB from BT - caps don't include watching BT Sport

From what I have seen you need about 4 meg broadband to watch live channels on broadband. I don't have that. Plenty of other people will not have that, either.
  • Options
    freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talktalk tv customers can get sky sports I think
  • Options
    Neville_BreakspNeville_Breaksp Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    dougp it is possible to have a sky dish indoors behind a window
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    There is also the Pulsat Satellite Antenna (no dish at all), the squish (small flat square camouflaged dish), and many sizes and shapes of transparent dish.
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clinch wrote: »
    From what I have seen you need about 4 meg broadband to watch live channels on broadband. I don't have that. Plenty of other people will not have that, either.

HD needs 4meg, about 2 for SD is ideal. However the BT sports app is meant to work with as little as 0.4meg
  • Options
    VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HD needs 4meg, about 2 for SD is ideal. However the BT sports app is meant to work with as little as 0.4meg

Are you talking about BT TV, clewsy?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Don't like Rupe but BT can go hang as far as I am concerned. Hope those who want it enjoy it...
  • Options
    Forum Member

Not in our block it isn't but thanks for the kind thought...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    Thats not true, actually. The last time I looked, Ofcom stated 71% of the country have an active BB connection. And then there are also initiatives like the rural BB Project. And fibre is now available to over 15m homes in the UK and expanding rapidly. And thats just BT.

Infinity is much much less surely and that is the only BT bb would even vaguely consider....
  • Options
    Phoenix04Phoenix04 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sky offer is completely useless. Do they think anyone would have been paying Topup TV £40 per month for ESPN and 2 Sky Sports channels if they didn't have a reason preventing them from installing a sky dish in the first place???
  • Options
    duffman25duffman25 Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there are the people who do not want long contracts people who like freeview and want some sports or people with freesat and have a freeview tv that would want it.

Phoenix04 wrote: »
    The Sky offer is completely useless. Do they think anyone would have been paying Topup TV £40 per month for ESPN and 2 Sky Sports channels if they didn't have a reason preventing them from installing a sky dish in the first place???
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,421
    Forum Member
    Im sure the tiny amount of TV Favourites will also get letters giving them close down dates.

I suspect they'll keep flogging the dead horse until the contracts are up - which I suspect is 15th November (although I won't commit to which year).