Options

British Soldier in Afghanistan sexually abused a child pleads guilty

Comments

• Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Exactly. They have already brung much shame to the men and women of the British Army and have endangered not only their lives, but of all the innocent members of the Armed Forces. So name and shame these two idiots, so people can rightly or wrongly judge them on their crimes.

The courts have made a judgement but by the sound of it you want religious nutters to take the law into their own hand and punish them their way.
  • Options
    Amnesia HazeAmnesia Haze Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    That's rather strange logic. :o

It's already been pointed out that there are very real and very practical reasons why it might be unwise to release their names so, that being the case, the whole "name them, just cos..." thing seems rather flimsy, at best.

Or, to put it another way, would it be a good thing, overall, if they were named and then some bunch of nutters set fire to the family house, killed the family and turned an arsehole and his innocent family into martyrs for some nationalist cause?

Well it can be easily argued that soldiers families are at risk anyway. I've not heard of any cases where the family are attacked by vigilantes.

I think it would send a far more powerful message to the ordinary Afghans if people that commit these sort of heinous crimes are discharged and named and do not represent anything to do with the British Armed Forces. Instead of getting a slap on the wrist and protected and then sent back out there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The courts have made a judgement but by the sound of it you want religious nutters to take the law into their own hand and punish them their way.

I'm no religious nutter and I want them punished by naming them and not welcomed back as "heroes"
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    This is total nonsense! So then give them a free pass to do whatever the hell they like because they will never be named and identified! Or punished properly for that matter.

The next lot will take their chances too then, because of this protection they have, with the revenge attacks card which can always be played. So no soldier will ever be named or shamed even when they have done wrong.

It's no more nonsense that suggesting such an act might make the person a paedophile or demanding the death penalty for his actions or that such actions might encourage other soldiers to act in the same way "just cos they can".

You're still wayyyy ahead in the nonsense stakes.
    So we are supposed to welcome them all back as heros??

Actually, FWIW, that's a fair point.
    I hope these idiots (and any other discredited soldiers) are shipped home in disgrace and don't get to come home with the rest of their colleagues, to the flag-waving and cheers of family and friends.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doji wrote: »
    I believe that there is probably a lot which goes on over there. What about the sexually starved soliders? how do they gratify themselves? makes you wonder if one on one rape with other afgan females happens. No reason why a solider wouldn't see an afgan woman walking down a street and see her as an opportunity for the rape. It's sad but i'm sure this happens as there is no law on the streests.

When you're away from home sexually starved, it's probably natural to want to do ill deeds to other people to satisfy your cravings.

or you could just have a wank like other people manage.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Well it can be easily argued that soldiers families are at risk anyway. I've not heard of any cases where the family are attacked by vigilantes.

I think it would send a far more powerful message to the ordinary Afghans if people that commit these sort of heinous crimes are discharged and named and do not represent anything to do with the British Armed Forces. Instead of getting a slap on the wrist and protected and then sent back out there.

I doubt that the afghan media reports extensively on the subsequent treatment of soldiers who act in a dishonourable manner.

TBH, I suspect that the opinions of most Afghan's about British soldiers is already cast in stone anyway, regardless of how they act.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm no religious nutter and I want them punished by naming them and not welcomed back as "heroes"

What you want is irrelevant, the court has made a judgement and hopefully they won't be allowed to join a welcome back parade - good point from you on that one though.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. They have already brung much shame to the men and women of the British Army and have endangered not only their lives, but of all the innocent members of the Armed Forces. So name and shame these two idiots, so people can rightly or wrongly judge them on their crimes.

Exactly what? In terms of their HAVE been judged and sentenced! Are you advocating that they should be lynched or something?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Exactly what? In terms of their HAVE been judged and sentenced! Are you advocating that they should be lynched or something?

No. I just don't want people praising these fools as "Brave Lads" "Heroes" when they are anything but that.

Imagine all the crap that these two had been upto before they got caught by their own idiocy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The military are not in the habit of naming their service personnel or sending a list of names to the enemy so no, their families are not at risk by virtue of simply being in the military! But by identifying one of them, particularly after a crime like this then yes, it presents a very dangerous situation for the man's family!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I just don't want people praising these fools as "Brave Lads" "Heroes" when they are anything but that.

Imagine all the crap that these two had been upto before they got caught by their own idiocy.

I don't think the military are going to risk further embarrassment by putting with of these two in a situation where they may receive praise. Besides the sex abuse guy has left the military and will now no doubt keep a low profile!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The military are not in the habit of naming their service personnel or sending a list of names to the enemy so no, their families are not at risk by virtue of simply being in the military! But by identifying one of them, particularly after a crime like this then yes, it presents a very dangerous situation for the man's family!

So what about past crimes where soldiers have been found guilty and have been named? Iraq and Afghanistan only.

Don't their families deserve protection?
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

The threat is there and it's taken seriously. Lance Corporal Harrison and his family had to go into hiding recently, simply because he was identified as a successful sniper whilst in Afghanistan (world record for a long range kill - well done, that man). I don't think he'd have gone to all that trouble if the threat wasn't real.

As for 'sending them back out there', one of the soldiers had already left the army before the court martial and the other has lost considerably more than £1,000 by his reduction to the ranks, even though his was arguably the lesser offence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what about past crimes where soldiers have been found guilty and have been named? Iraq and Afghanistan only.

Don't their families deserve protection?

Clearly, the risk was not considered apparent or sufficient at that time! Unfortunately, unless someone invents a time machine, all we can say is hindsight is a wonderful thing!
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the military are going to risk further embarrassment by putting with of these two in a situation where they may receive praise. Besides the sex abuse guy has left the military and will now no doubt keep a low profile!

Hopefully nowhere near children again, but then again, he will be back out in the community with the blessing of the law makers. Comforting to know right? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully nowhere near children again, but then again, he will be back out in the community with the blessing of the law makers. Comforting to know right? :rolleyes:

Ok!:rolleyes::yawn:
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

Along with every other sex pest whose name you don't know.

I don't understand why you feel you have the right to know the identity of this one man.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »

I don't understand why you feel you have the right to know the identity of this one man.

Because stating he doesn't goes against every other their posts in this thread. He hasn't accepted anyone elses pov on this, this is no different!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    No, I think it is you who needs to discuss this with abuse victims, because it seems you have absolutely no idea what it is.

actually i know what sexual abuse is and i dont need to talk to abuse victims because i am one, my uncle abused me for years when i was a child.....im 37 now and still not over what he did to me, i've never had children because of what he did to me, i cant have a relationship because of him....so dont tell me i have no idea what abuse is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    actually i know what sexual abuse is and i dont need to talk to abuse victims because i am one, my uncle abused me for years when i was a child.....im 37 now and still not over what he did to me, i've never had children because of what he did to me, i cant have a relationship because of him....so dont tell me i have no idea what abuse is.

I'm sorry to hear that a hope things will get better for you!

The reason they say this is because to say otherwise doesn't support their pov! Don't take it too personally, some people just have to be right even when wrong!
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »

Maybe because of what he has done, he could be a threat to children here. So basically if a criminal is on the loose you rather we are not made aware who he is? Ok maybe in your world. Not in mine,
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe because of what he has done, he could be a threat to children here. So basically if a criminal is on the loose you rather we are not made aware who he is? Ok maybe in your world. Not in mine,

But there are plenty of other convicted criminals free in society who have done worse. You don't know all their names, why do you need to know this one man's name specifically?
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    But there are plenty of other convicted criminals free in society who have done worse. You don't know all their names, why do you need to know this one man's name specifically?

Odd, isn't it? It's almost as if the guy's identity or (say) his previous occupation is actually more important than what he's actually done. Almost as if there was some kind of, oh I dunno, agenda?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Odd, isn't it? It's almost as if the guy's identity or (say) his previous occupation is actually more important than what he's actually done. Almost as if there was some kind of, oh I dunno, agenda?:confused:

It's pretty much obvious that there is, I even commented on it earlier

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=66246457&postcount=161
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

Where on earth did I ever suggest that?

I don't understand why you can't understand plain English. It's just weird.