Options

10 O'Clock Live - Brooker, Mitchell, Carr, Laverne

Comments

• Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LL is the coffee Revel; the licorice allsorts with the weird blue bits.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    keep forgetting to watch this, only saw series one and i think this is now series three right?

i did think about catching up, but since it is so topical im not sure there is much point.

also since i try and avoid the news altogether (especially politcal) its probably not for me, i just like mitchell, brooker and carr a lot.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Brooker was inprired with some of his puns last night.

Still want to sack the researcher though. Yet again another clip that is a year or two old (Aussie politician).

I've ranted before about Good News and HIGNFY using the same clips in the same week but atleast they are new and doing the rounds. This is just lazy by 10 O'Clock Live!!!
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I have noticed though is when one of them goes off somewhere else on the stage and does their bit, and even if they've been very funny, as they're walking back to the table and the studio audience is still laughing and clapping, you can see in a midrange camera shot the others at the table with faces like wet weekends as though there has been a complete sense of humour bypass. They just look miserable.
    Now I've mentioned it you may notice those bits on the next show.

Why do you think that is? It's because they're not listening to the performance from the one on their own, they're concentrating on what they're about to do.

I tried stand-up comedy for a bit. When the act on before me was performing, I wasn't laughing along with what he/she was saying, I was sitting there with a face like a wet weekend, shitting myself about the fact I was on in a minute.

Try it sometime. It's one hell of an eye-opener. (and bottom-opener!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Love Mitchell in Peep show but serious overkill, seems to be on everyone on these type of shows with his same type of sarcastic humour. On way too much
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yorkshire2 wrote: »
    Love Mitchell in Peep show but serious overkill, seems to be on everyone on these type of shows with his same type of sarcastic humour. On way too much

I think he and Brooker are making this show. Carr makes for reasonable support, while LL is a deadweight.
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkshire2 wrote: »
    And his sarcasm misses occasionally too, like belittling Ed Balls's grade 8 piano ambition as something you're supposed to get by the time you leave school. Grade 8 is the highest grade you can get and means you are exceptionally good. Perhaps he was thinking of grade 5, but even that's a reasonable achievement and wouldn't it also depend on when you started learning?
  • Options
    drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    And his sarcasm misses occasionally too, like belittling Ed Balls's grade 8 piano ambition as something you're supposed to get by the time you leave school. Grade 8 is the highest grade you can get and means you are exceptionally good. Perhaps he was thinking of grade 5, but even that's a reasonable achievement and wouldn't it also depend on when you started learning?
    I get the impression they'd much rather spend all their time each week slagging off Cameron and Osborne because (let's face it) they're much easier targets. After all you can criticise the government for what they do, but the opposition doesn't actually do anything really. So the only alternative is to pick on the things they say or (in the case of Milliband) have a go at his general personality. There's richer pickings with the tories all round, really.

But I'm sure the reality is that they have to be seen to have a go at all sides, if only to meet broadcasting impartiality rules. So if the jokes about Labour seem more forced, I'm sure that has something to do with it. They probably have a producer telling them they must have a go at the other side occasionally.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week's episdoe was great.

They treated Anjem Choudary like the clown that he is.

How someone like him with no political office, or any relevance to society gets in the media so much is breathtaking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This week's episdoe was great.

They treated Anjem Choudary like the clown that he is.

How someone like him with no political office, or any relevance to society gets in the media so much is breathtaking.

Because the media let him.
  • Options
    CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Because the media let him.

..The tabloids need to offload their crap so that the brain-dead masses buy it so now that hook-handed Abu Hamza is out of the spotlight good old Andy Choudary has filled his boots as the poster boy for Islamic fundamentalism in the UK, it's all one big pantomime.
  • Options
    CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the point of Lauren Laverne in this show?

Before I got the internet she used to make great wank material in the early 00s, but now there seems to be no use for her.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,995
    Forum Member
    One thing I have noticed though is when one of them goes off somewhere else on the stage and does their bit, and even if they've been very funny, as they're walking back to the table and the studio audience is still laughing and clapping, you can see in a midrange camera shot the others at the table with faces like wet weekends as though there has been a complete sense of humour bypass. They just look miserable.
    Now I've mentioned it you may notice those bits on the next show.
    Yes well the audience are there to be thoroughly relaxed and to enjoy the entertainment.

The performers are there to be professional and to concentrate on the next job at hand, especially as it's a live show.
    It's probably thoroughly nerve-racking and they have to be absolutely on the ball to deliver their material in the next segment of the programme. They've no time to be distracted, and probably see the solo slots performed by their colleagues as an opportunity to gather their thoughts for the next item.
    That's what I'd do anyway.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    ..The tabloids need to offload their crap so that the brain-dead masses buy it so now that hook-handed Abu Hamza is out of the spotlight good old Andy Choudary has filled his boots as the poster boy for Islamic fundamentalism in the UK, it's all one big pantomime.
    He was all over the tv news as well though. He was on Newsnight wasn't he?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the theme tonight is oral sex.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So have they scrapped Charlie's bit?
  • Options
    seedybobseedybob Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »

Hope it wasn't left out to make room for Rich Hall. :mad:
  • Options
    djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely just shifted to later in the show.
    Interesting to hear Rich reference the Daily Show.
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I hope the paper review doesn't get left until 2 minutes before the end......annoys me

If they chop back Mitchell's round table section by a couple of minutes they could do more on the papers

LL is such an airhead, the dizzy blonde image isn't funny these days like it was in the 90s
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good line from Rich:
    "You people buy insurance because a meerkat tells you to."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »

I get the feeling Brooker is being lazy this week, he's much more quieter tonight, hardly a murmur on the round table
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seedybob wrote: »
    Hope it wasn't left out to make room for Rich Hall. :mad:

Occasional foghorn from the U.S who pitches up at any UK show that would have him......nothing special
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James30 wrote: »
    I get the feeling Brooker is being lazy this week, he's much more quieter tonight, hardly a murmur on the round table

Well if they cut my bit to let a comedian get a pay-cheque and do non-topical stand-up from his act then I think I would be a bit lazy.

Why did the producers cut the funniest bit of the show?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Diane Abbott zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    drykiddrykid Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well having said that the less shouty a debate is the less interesting, I'll take that slightly back and say I thought that one just wasn't bad. They both made good points and I found myself agreeing with one and then the other again in quick succession.

Not happy about Brooker's bit being seemingly dropped for a not-that-great standup segment though. Unless maybe it was his idea cos he was too lazy to write something this week :p